Start by marking “Farfallina & Marcel” as Want to Read:
Farfallina & Marcel

Farfallina & Marcel

4.14  ·  Rating Details  ·  165 Ratings  ·  42 Reviews
Once there was a caterpillar named Farfallina, whose best friend was a gosling named Marcel. They played together all the time. They liked the same games, and they liked each other.But one day everything changed.

Can best friends remain best friends no matter what happens? For Farfallina and Marcel, who endure growing up and growing apart only to find that it brings them cl
Published August 1st 2002 by Greenwillow Books (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Farfallina & Marcel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Farfallina & Marcel

Bridgetdoxtater
Feb 10, 2009 Bridgetdoxtater rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is really precious, but I'm biased toward it . . .

When my husband proposed to me, he wrote his marriage proposal in the back of a copy of Farfallina and Marcel that he presented to me. (It was a time of great change for us because he was moving about 3 hours away and I didn't know what was going to become of us. The book was a great summation of how we felt about each other, and reassured me that we would always be together.)

Anyway, this is a children's book and it is a beautiful stor
Candice
Dec 12, 2014 Candice rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
This book charmed my socks off! It is such a lovely story of friendship, so preciously written and sweetly illustrated. Farfallina is a caterpillar and Marcel a gosling when they meet. They spend idyllic days together until Farfallina needs to rest and Marcel waits so long that he fears she is not coming back. But Marcel is going through some changes, too.
Rosa Cline
Aug 27, 2015 Rosa Cline rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids
What a special way to teach children about growing up! A worm and a gosling become friends and they spend all day together doing things together and just having fun. They each do things that they know the other can do (Like the worm won't climb high 'cause she knows the goose can't got that high to find her. The goose will let her get on his back and they swim on the lake.) Then one day Farfallina tells Marcel she needs to climb up and rest for a while that she wasn't mad or angry just needed to ...more
Salsabrarian
Farfallina (Italian for butterfly) is a caterpillar. Marcel is a gosling. They meet and feel a kindredship and enjoy the spring together, playing hide-and-seek and sailing on the lake. One day Farfallina doesn't feel right and hides up in a tree. Marcel promises to wait for her but after weeks of not seeing her, gives up. When Farfallina emerges as a butterfly she goes off in search of Marcel but only finds a goose swimming in the lake. Eventually both realize they have reunited and the friends ...more
Emma Hoyer
Literature Requirement: **2003 Charlotte Zolotow Award Winner**

This was a very touching and sweet book about friendship. Although I am 19, this book spoke to me about distance and the impact of time apart from friends. In this day and age, it’s often expected that constant contact is required to be good friends with someone. Good friends can span distance, time, and conflict, and this book does a great job of showing that. The friendship that Farfallina and Marcel have is timeless and strong, an
Relyn
Mar 13, 2016 Relyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone!
Recommended to Relyn by: NPR
This is one of our family's favorite books. There is a book reviewer on NPR who sometimes reviews childrens' books. He never misses. Anyway, we love this book. It's so sweet. This time I used it as a read aloud on Butterfly Day during our second grade Lifecycles week.

5/11/15
I have no idea why I haven't read this book to my students in a while. It is a hit every. single. time! I remembered it this time because after we released our butterflies this year, one of my students said, "I wonder what t
J.D. Holman
This is a darling book about so much: growing up, metamorphosis, the nature of friendship. It's also great for engaging children. I enjoyed reading this to students grades preK-3, and engaging them with questions on what was happening to the characters. An excellent, well-illustrated choice for story hours.
Erma Talamante
A story of seasons and two friends changing. Farfallina the caterpillar, and her friend, Marcel the gosling start the spring off nicely, playing and frolicking, but when Farfallina needs to go rest, time passes and when she comes back, things are not quite the same as she remembers, nor is her friend.
Amy Rae
Aug 28, 2014 Amy Rae rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This one was fine, but I prefer The Caterpillar and the Polliwog for discussing this subject. The illustrations are better than the ones here.
The Brothers
Another tale of mismatched friendship - this time between a caterpillar and a goose. They love each other, but the caterpillar goes off one day and the goose is very hurt his friend never came back. Of course she does eventually come back, as a butterfly.

Okay illustrations.
Suzanne
Created from the Italian word “farfallina” meaning butterfly, Farfallina and Marcel is a wonderful story of undying friendship, despite the life changes one faces. Holly Keller explores changes in nature with the life cycle of a butterfly and the physical changes from gosling to goose. Keller’s use of watercolor creates a serene setting that distinguishes the characters moods through light and dark. Farfallina and Marcel would be a great read-aloud for primary grades to accompany any science uni ...more
Becca
A caterpillar and a gosling become friends and then lose each other for a while. This is a sweet story about friendship and change.
Emily Cook
Nov 17, 2015 Emily Cook rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Adorable book! Beautiful story; inspired conversations about friendship, waiting, change, and love. I want this for our personal library!
Davette
Apr 20, 2016 Davette rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So cute!
Hannah Cobb
Apr 25, 2012 Hannah Cobb rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: storytime
Farfallina meets Marcel during a summer rainstorm. Farfallina is busy doing what caterpillars do best--eating a leaf. But Marcel, a little gray gosling, is standing under the leaf. "Hey," he says, "You're eating my umbrella." Thus begins a cute friendship between the goose and the caterpillar, a friendship that spans Farfallina's transformation into a butterfly. This is a beautiful picture book done mostly in green and blue watercolors; the theme of enduring friendship is lovely.
Brandi
A sweet story of growing up and friendship between a caterpillar and gosling. Nice illustrations.
Gail Barge
These two charming title characters exemplify friendships, change, and animal science. The beautiful changes that occur in both animals can be studied in a science class, along with other animals who go through changes as they progress in age. The friendship that endures through time could be another important topic of study with this story. I love this book because of the beautiful illustrations that create such a lovely setting for this timeless story of friendship.
Dolly
Nov 28, 2009 Dolly rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: childrens, 2009, science
This is a wonderful tale about metamorphosis and friendship. A caterpillar and a gosling become friends and play together every day until it's time for the caterpillar to create her chrysalis. Once she emerges as a butterfly, she sees the mature goose on the pond, but doesn't realize that he's Marcel. It's a fun tale and our girls loved it. It teaches a little bit about science, but in an unobtrusive way.
Kelli
Aug 26, 2012 Kelli rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-books
A duckling and a caterpillar are friends. As they transform, they disappear from one another's lives. Later, once they recognize one another, they are delighted by their renewed friendship. A good companion book when discussing life cycles of butterflies. A little different from the books where the big reveal is, "OMG! He is now a beautiful butterfly!"
Jackie
Aug 03, 2010 Jackie rated it really liked it
A gentle, sweet story about a caterpillar and gosling who become friends until they start to feel some 'growing pains'...they disappear for a while, but when their changes are complete, they find each other again. Even though their appearances are different, they are still the same.

Used for "UGH!...BUGS!" storytime-September, 2010.
Nichole
Jul 03, 2008 Nichole rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have given this book as a gift to a friend before. An adult friend, but I think children's books can get down to the fundamental truths that adults find hard to communicate. I do not think this friend appreciated the gift, though. Personally, I would love a children's picture book picked out just for me, but I'm odd.
Terry
A sweet story, with simple toddler-eye-catching illustrations. Clearly, it's a little too wordy, subtle and grown-up for our toddler. We'll try againthe story is too good not to.

To read the full review, go to The Reading Tub(r).
Eman Hassaballa
May 01, 2007 Eman Hassaballa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone with kids
This is an amazing book that teaches about the other. Thinking about the other and making changes in one's life about the other. I get choked up at the end of this book. I have a niece with a disability. This is a good way to teach children about these things. It's one of the best children's books i ever read.
Rachel
Oct 20, 2010 Rachel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: kids, families, cool adults
Recommended to Rachel by: the library
Shelves: kiddos
Read this beautiful story about friendship and change today at the library. It was on display in the children's section. Lovely illustrations. I'm always surprised by how deeply I care about characters in children's books after only a few pages. These authors know how to reel you in.
Danielle Simmons
I loved this book. Not onle were the pictures creative and colorful, the story was great! It was the transition between two best friends, a caterpillar and a gosling. They both change, into a butterfly and a goose. Then they are reunited. Friendship is the key in this book!
Courtney Sharpton
I love this book, because it shows students that even of we change on the outside that does not mean we change on the inside. We saw a story basket using this story and it was really cute. Students will enjoy seeing the clever use of props and a familiar story.
Coral
Jun 02, 2008 Coral rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
A really cute story of the friendship between a caterpillar and a gosling. It teaches young ones about how a caterpillars turn into butterflies and goslings into grown geese, but also how people can change and grow over time yet still remain friends.
Ashleigh
We hatch ducks in the spring and caterpillars in the fall. This is a wonderful story that brings both units together nicely as it tells the story of these two friends who undergo lots of change. A great book to discuss cycles.
Angela Moorer
Great story!!! The tale of friendship is very endearing! I would use this book as a science lesson also to teach about how animals change forms, much like little boys and girls do as they grow up.
Lea
This was a timely find for us and ducks and geese are returning to the pond at the park by the library. It's a good tool for talking with preschoolers about seasons and metamorphosis.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • A Frog in the Bog
  • The Mystery of Eatum Hall
  • Library Lily
  • The First Day of Winter
  • Blue Train, Green Train (Thomas & Friends)
  • Say What?