Start by marking “The Far Frontier” as Want to Read:
The Far Frontier

The Far Frontier

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  13 ratings  ·  3 reviews
The wilderness and its natural wonders, as well as the settlers and the warring Indians, come vividly alive for readers today in a book that will quickly take its place with Mr. Steele’s outstanding earlier successes, such as Winter Danger, The Lone Hun, and The Perilous Road, which was a runner-up for the Newbery Medal.
If only his father had bound him out to learn blacksm
Published 1961 by Harcourt, Brace and Company (first published 1959)

To ask other readers questions about The Far Frontier, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Far Frontier

Teresa
An interesting children's book, and would be fun as a read aloud. I found the ending rather abrupt...as though there was going to be a sequel. I think this book has more information as a science book than history, but all in all a very good living book.
Rebecca
I liked this book mostly for the change of character of Tobe. I feel like the dialect is a bit hard to get around, but overall it was a nice depiction/introduction to life in the late 1700s.
Rodney Haydon
William O. Steele wrote the stories I loved to read as a boy and happy to say still enjoy as an adult. I plan to search out more of his works.
Julie
Julie added it
Jan 08, 2015
Natalie
Natalie marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2014
Jessica Stiegler
Jessica Stiegler marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2014
Leah
Leah added it
May 19, 2014
Boys
Boys marked it as to-read
May 15, 2014
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2014
Charlotte
Charlotte marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2014
Kari
Kari marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2011
Erica
Erica marked it as to-read
May 22, 2011
Sally
Sally added it
Apr 28, 2009
The Perilous Road The Buffalo Knife (Odyssey Classics) Winter Danger We Were There with the Pony Express The Story of Daniel Boone