Start by marking “Untraceable (Tracers, #1)” as Want to Read:
Untraceable (Tracers, #1)

Untraceable (Tracers #1)

3.87  ·  Rating Details  ·  3,912 Ratings  ·  345 Reviews

ALEX LOVELL MAKES PEOPLE DISAPPEAR.
TURNS OUT, SHE'S NOT THE ONLY ONE.

Private investigator Alexandra Lovell uses computer skills and cunning to help clients drop off the radar and begin new lives in safety. Melanie Bess, desperate to escape her abusive cop husband, was one of those clients. But when Melanie vanishes for real, Alex fears the worst, and sets out to discov

Published November 24th 2009 by Pocket Star (first published November 2nd 2009)

Mr. Perfect by Linda HowardHard Evidence by Pamela ClareAfter the Night by Linda HowardUnlawful Contact by Pamela ClareExtreme Exposure by Pamela Clare
Best Romantic Suspense
136th out of 1,486 books — 2,002 voters
Open Season by Linda HowardMr. Perfect by Linda HowardTalk Me Down by Victoria DahlHead Over Heels by Jill ShalvisWhispering Rock by Robyn Carr
Best Small Town Cop/Sheriff Romance Novels
11th out of 147 books — 296 voters

More lists with this book...

D.G.
My favorite genres are romance and mystery so you would think that I’d be a big reader of romantic suspense. Not really. In my opinion, it takes a gifted writer to combine the romance and the mystery so one plot doesn’t take over the other. Sadly, this is what happened here. Add to that the first in the series syndrome where there are tons of characters with neon signs pointing ‘I will be the hero/heroine in a future book!’ and you have a rambling romance where the hero and heroine didn’t spend ...more
Avonna
Sep 07, 2015 Avonna rated it liked it
I really enjoyed the mystery in this book. I thought it was a strong plot and kept me reading. My main problem was with the romance. Liked Nathan and felt he was very yummy, but Alex didn't make me feel she should be in a relationship. I like a strong female lead, but at times she crossed the line into stubborn/stupid. I really felt the romance was forced and it just didn't work for me. I want to read more in the series to see if the Delphi Project becomes more of a major player in solving myste ...more
Jane Stewart
4.5 stars. Intelligent, clever ideas, things I haven’t heard before. Excellent romantic suspense.

STORY BRIEF:
Alexandra (Alex) is a private detective working mostly for insurance companies, but her passion is helping women disappear from abusive husbands – think civilian run witness protection program. She’s a computer whiz. She helped Melanie disappear, but Melanie broke the rules and returned to her home town. Alex believes Melanie has been killed. Alex asks homicide cop Nathan to help her inve
jenjn79
Jan 09, 2010 jenjn79 rated it really liked it
Recommended to jenjn79 by: random buy
This book was a random buy at Wal-Mart. I felt like buying a book and this one looked interesting, especially since it was a romantic suspense book. I hadn't read anything by this author before so I wasn't sure what I'd get. I ended up liking the book quite a bit. It was pretty good.

Series Note:
This book is the first book in Griffin's new "Tracers" series, but the book also has ties to other books by Griffin, with continuing characters and whatnot.

Summary:
Alexandra Lovell is a private investiga
Daffodil
Aug 19, 2013 Daffodil rated it it was ok
I thought the mystery plot was pretty decent. The romance was a little blah; I couldn't really feel any connection between (or even with) the characters. I also had trouble with Alex's overall attitude toward Nathan. She has no hard proof, yet she is upset that Nathan has to follow police procedures in investigating the case?

I am slightly intrigued by the Delphi Center, so I may read the next book in this series.
The Pirate Ghost (Formerly known as the Curmudgeon)
Okay, I'm going to try and keep this review short... no, really, I'm going to try and keep this review short. I'm not kidding!

Untracable (Tracers #1)

General Impressions, Thoughts, Feelings, etc...

If you are big on Feminist issues, you will be caught in a juxta position. That means you'll have to tape some brown paper around it so nobody can see what you are reading because, once you start it, you'll want to finish it.

This book turned out to be a delightful read. I liked the female lead initial
Lady Heather

I was first introduced to Alex Lovell in Whisper of Warning and I really liked her character. She's strong, intelligent, dedicated and loyal to the bone (all of my favorite characteristics in a lead female).
So as soon as I discovered that Alex had her own book, well I just had to read it.

... and then there's Nathan Devereaux (my sexy, Cajun homicide detective working in Austin, TX). *sigh* This book just got soo much better!

I was not disappointed!

Great story, writing, and characters. I will def
Dee
Two-haiku review:

She helps women hide
A client ignored advice
Now missing or dead

Could have been deeper
But still pretty good story
And okay romance

This particular couple didn't really grab me, but good enough to continue series.
Manda Collins
Apr 25, 2012 Manda Collins rated it it was amazing
A fast-paced, sexy romantic suspense read. Nathan and Alex are stubborn--well, moreso Alex than Nathan--but they will have you cheering for their happy ending when the suspense is finally over. Nobody writes wounded but strong heroines and the rugged heroes who love them better than Laura Griffin.
Smileyluvsbooks (Faz)
Going to give this book 2 and 1/2 stars.
This story had Soo much more potential! I loved certain aspects of it. I thought that the romance between the two main characters was good and I liked how it developed. To be honest, the main reason I read this book was because of the relationship between a private investigator and a cop. It intrigued me, but I was disappointed.

Firstly, I felt as though there were many things that were addressed in the story, but were never finished. (view spoiler)
Laura (Kyahgirl)
3/5; 3 stars; B

I read this book several years ago and recently listened to the audio version. Reagan Talmadge did a good job as the narrator. I enjoyed the mystery and the characters, although I really noticed quite a few TSTL live moments by Alex. They seemed to stick out more in this audio version.
Anne OK
Nov 30, 2009 Anne OK rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2011-reads
Very suspenseful with a good romance. Characters were well developed and maintained a strong dialogue throughout. Very strong-willed and tough heroine. Have enjoyed every book written by this relatively new author.
Bookaholics
Nov 24, 2009 Bookaholics rated it really liked it
Untraceable by Laura Griffin
Romantic Suspense -Nov. 24th, 2009
4 stars

Laura Griffin has written another outstanding romantic suspense! This story is sure to be a hit because it is: intelligent, detailed, and filled with high tension.

In Untraceable the indomitable P.I. Alexandra Lovell fears one of the women she has helped escape her abusive husband has been murdered. The problem is Alex can’t find the body! When she visits the victim’s home and finds traces of blood just before it is explodes,
Charlene
Maybe 4.5 stars - may revise upward.

This first book in the Tracers series got off to a bang-up start. It seems familiar; in fact, I know I've met Mia somewhere before, but I don't have this marked as read. I fully intend to read this series in order, so perhaps I'll remember whether I've (also?) read others in the series:)

If you like Romantic Suspense as a genre, with private investigators, forensic labs, (good) policemen and Texas Rangers among the characters, I recommend you begin here.

Kjen
4.75 Stars...Truly excellent romantic suspense! I enjoyed the balance of romance and suspense. Nathan was a saint to put up with Alex. She had a lot of issues with relationships that didn't have solid reason, IMHO. However, it made for just the right amount of push and pull to keep that part of the story interesting. I'm happily moving on to the next Tracers....
Pamela(AllHoney)
The first in the Tracers series by Laura Griffin. A wonderful start for the series. I am looking forward to upcoming additions to this series. Great blend of suspense and romance.
Lizzy
Laura Griffin created a mystery full on potential in Untraceable, however lost herself along the way. The plot is unsure, but moves along at a brisk pace towards the end.

Alex Lowell is a PI that helps women fly under the radar. But when the last one, Melanie Bess, disappears Alex must find her. She seeks an acquaintance and homicide detective, Nathan Deveraux, for help. He’s somewhat skeptical. She’s convinced Melanie’s husband, also a cop, is responsible and may have killed her. But has no p
Carrie
May 28, 2012 Carrie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Carrie by: nook spotlight author at b&n
Kathy Davie
Oct 08, 2011 Kathy Davie rated it liked it
Shelves: romance, suspense
First in the Tracers suspense series.

The Story
Alex Lovell is furious. A woman she had helped to escape an abusive husband has come back to town and is now missing. Asking Nathan Devereaux, a local cop, for help seems to have been a mistake. After all, her main suspect is Melanie's husband, a fellow cop.

And then Troy Stockton, an old boyfriend and true crime writer, steps in to introduce her to the Delphi Center, a lab with state-of-the-art equipment who could user her incredible computer skills.
Hayley
My first book by Laura Griffin and I have to say I loved it! I loved her easy going writing and this book was definitely well written and grabs your attention. Can't wait to read more by her....

Meet PI Alex Lovell who is one of the top PI's around. She is very good at making her clients disappear, whether it be from an abusive husband or something else. Melanie, one of her clients was one that she helped try to get away from her abusive cop husband. But, when Melanie disappears for real and isn'
Amanda
Jan 07, 2013 Amanda rated it really liked it
I've been on a huge romantic suspense kick lately and in my opinion no one does it better than Laura Griffin. I accidentally read the books totally out of order and while it did probably color the way I saw certain characters, I thought that all the books worked well as stand alone novels.

The Good:
- I love that Laura Griffin writes strong, smart female characters. While I love a good alpha male in my suspense books I've gotten tired of novels that don't have female protagonists who can hold thei
Denise
Apr 15, 2011 Denise rated it it was amazing
Very captivating romantic suspense. Alex is a P.I. who's main work is insurance fraud, but her passion seems to be helping abused women disappear from their abusers. She finds out that one of these woman has blown her cover and is now in great danger. In comes Nathan, PD Detective, who at first is very skeptical that there is anything going on with Alex's client. These two made a great team and lots of sizzle between them. This book seems to have ties to an earlier book from this author Whisper ...more
Jul 25, 2015 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
This review was originally posted to Jen in Bookland

Untraceable is the first book in the Tracers series and the first I have read from this author. I like suspense books and romances, but I don't read a lot of romantic suspense books. Usually they are just romances with a little bit of suspense thrown in, but not this one. Untraceable was more forensic cop drama with romance added which I loved. I love watching cop shows, or forensic shows, any TV show where there is a killer and they try to fin
Laura (Kyahgirl)
We met Alex Lowell in the last book, Whisper of Warning. A P.I. with a talent for helping people disappear, Alex is a strong leading lady. I enjoyed the pacing and twists and turns of this story. I found the developing relationship between Alex and Nathan a bit weird...it didn't quite jive for me. However, it was still a strong story.

This story has ties to the Glass sister duology through Alex as well as Nathan Devereaux, one of the detectives who worked on Courtney's case.
Caro
Jun 12, 2013 Caro rated it really liked it
Shelves: suspense
This was a really good book. I liked the suspense, the characters, the plot, the emotions and the whole feeling of the book. This is a book I wouldn't mind reading again and can't wait to read the rest in the series. I can't wait to see what happens with the other characters either. The APD, I couldn't believe the scope. I'm itching to see the rest of the Tracers and their workings too. On to the next... Enjoy!
Stacy
2 1/2 stars. It was a nice introduction to the Delphi Center and future series characters Mia, Sophie, and Troy. However, the main character Alex annoyed me with her bad judgment and self-centered behavior.
Reen
Dec 16, 2015 Reen rated it liked it
Good story with a quick pace. I thought the characters could have been a little more developed but still held my interest and I will continue reading the series.
Annie
Sep 14, 2011 Annie rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Romantic Suspense fans
Shelves: new-to-me-author
Very Good. I will read more of her books.
Shawna
4 stars – Romantic Suspense
Red Iza
May 29, 2016 Red Iza rated it it was amazing
Rate : 4.5 rounded up to 5 for GR

Reviewed for http://theereaderjunkie.wordpress.com

When I picked up this book, I really needed to read a romantic suspense to clear my head and forget about a few things. This definitely fit the bill, and more !

The thing about romantic suspenses is that it's hard to find one which balances the "suspense" equally with the "romantic". There's usually too much of one or the other. Here, nothing like this : a perfectly good plot with a good deal of investigation, soli
Let's Talk Love S...: Untraceable - January 4 21 Jan 30, 2015 09:07PM
  • Waking the Dead (Mindhunters, #3)
  • Shiver of Fear (The Guardian Angelinos, #2)
  • No Regrets (Delta Force, #1)
  • One Scream Away (Sheridan, #1)
  • Feel the Heat (Black Ops, #4)
  • The Edge of Night
  • Shoot to Thrill (Passion For Danger, #1)
  • Beg for Mercy (Dead Wrong, #1)
  • If You Hear Her (The Ash Trilogy, #1)
  • Fade to Black (Black CATs, #1)
  • No Turning Back (Suspense Series, #3)
New York Times and USA Today bestselling author Laura Griffin started her career in journalism before venturing into the world of writing romantic suspense. Her books have won numerous awards, including two RITA Awards (for Scorched and Whisper of Warning) and a Daphne du Maurier Award (Untraceable). Laura currently lives in Austin where she is working on her next book.

Series:
* Tracers
* The Glass
More about Laura Griffin...

Tracers (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Unspeakable (Tracers, #2)
  • Unforgivable (Tracers #3)
  • Snapped (Tracers #4)
  • Twisted (Tracers, #5)
  • Scorched (Tracers #6)
  • Exposed (Tracers #7)
  • Beyond Limits (Tracers, #8)
  • Shadow Fall (Tracers, #9)
  • Deep Dark (Tracers, #10)
  • At Close Range (Tracers, #11)

“People give out information all the time. You just have to know who to ask.” 8 likes