Start by marking “On Pointe” as Want to Read:
On Pointe

On Pointe

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  404 ratings  ·  43 reviews
Our feet slipinto satin shoes

with stiff shanks,

We stand.

A row of bound feet

rises

to its toes.

For as long as she can remember, Clare and her family have had a dream: Someday Clare will be a dancer in City Ballet Company. For ten long years Clare has been takin
Published May 25th 2004 by Margaret K. McElderry Books

To ask other readers questions about On Pointe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about On Pointe

Bunheads by Sophie FlackA Company of Swans by Eva IbbotsonBallet Shoes by Noel StreatfeildOn Pointe by Lorie Ann Groverdancergirl by Carol M. Tanzman
YA Dance Books
4th out of 150 books — 155 voters
Sugar's Dance by Katie MettnerSugar's Song by Katie Mettnerdancergirl by Carol M. TanzmanDance For Me by Helena NewburyBunheads by Sophie Flack
Great Dance Books
8th out of 36 books — 85 voters

More lists with this book...

Kimberly Hirsh
Clare is a dancer. She wants to join the City Ballet, but she's taller than most professional dancers. Can she make it? If she can't, what will she do? On Pointe examines what happens when our dreams change. Clare begins the summer auditioning for the City Ballet, living with her grandfather, and chatting with her friend Rosella, who says negative things about their peers that make Clare uncomfortable. By the end of summer, Clare's perspective and priorities have undergone a dramatic shift.

Lorie
Nicacbk
I'm actually a ballet dancer so I can relate to most of this stuff. We work really hard in class and we go through a lot of stress so we don't want it to be for nothing.

There are a lot of Bart stereotypes in this book. I'm telling you readers now. Dancers eat. I eat a lot and to read about girls puking out something like a protein bar. I felt disgusted because that doesn't happen in our ballet studio. Another thing that doesn't happen is that you get kicked out because your fat or too tall. No
Nicole Catherine
Normally I hate novels in verse, but this one seemed really natural, like you were hearing Clare's thoughts.

I was amazed by this book. It was beautiful and sad and true. I'm not sure if a non-dancer would get much out of it (and hey, I've got an audition looming in my future that made the book that much more meaningful) but as a dancer of seven years, I loved it.
Alexa
Clare has dreamed to be a professional ballerina for as long as she can remember. Now at sixteen years old, she has made it to the level where you can audition for the New York City Ballet, but there’s only one problem: Clare dances very well and all that, but when she finds out she cannot join the Ballet due to her height (being too tall), her dream gets crushed like ice. What will she do now, when her whole life has been aiming for making it into the Ballet? With help from her family, Clare g ...more
Katelyn
I am about halfway done with On Pointe. It begins with a girl named Clare, who has been training all her life to be the city ballet. Dance it hard work and it takes a lot of dedictaion. Clare has moved away from home to live with her grandfather, who lives closer to the conservatory. Even though Ballet is mainly based of skill, whether or not dancer make it into higher ballet is also based on looks. Clare has watched her ballet class lose members as they grow and change. The city ballet wants al ...more
Ruth
When Clare's dream of being a ballet dancer is chrushed, she realises that there's more to life than being the prima ballerina. Pretty good.
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
Novel in verse that vividly describes the physical pain of being a ballet dancer.
KWinks
For the most part, I don't mind novels in verse. This was one of my Teen Book Club's picks for May, and I was glad to read it. I liked Clare and Grandpa. Both go through major life changes and we get to see what happens, but most importantly, we get to hear what Clare thinks about what is happening. And that was where the prose really worked for me. I was confused on a few points (Clare's age, for example). I had pictured her being in her early teens, but a line about "in several years I will be ...more
Amanda
2 stars.
As long as you love what you do, you will succeed.

On Pointe is about Clare. She lives in Washington and wants to be in the City Ballet. It is her family's dream. Problem is, she's tall and competing against the others in her class.

Though it had good morals, On Pointe was still boring. It is written in verse and some parts, like the parts where Clare is just at home doing normal things, could have been written in normal first person POV prose. Other parts, however, were lovely in verse an
Ellie Katzfey
I thought this book was really good. It was about a dancer, and since I'm a dancer I saw through her perspective. She took dance lessons in the summer while she lived with her grandfather cause her parents didn't live close enough to the conservatory where she took lessons. She was always the tallest in her class except for one of the boys, but she was still a really good dancer. She had a bulimic friend which she always told to not puke but whenever she did, she would get mad at her because her ...more
Jo Oehrlein
Told in free verse, so it’s really quick to read, this book is the story of a teenager, Clare, her grandfather (who she’s living with for the summer), her parents, and her ballet classmates. The author says she danced, but based on the book I don’t think she enjoyed it. Her descriptions of pointe shoes involve lots of blood, blisters, and lost nails. The girls in her class aren’t friends with each other because of the huge amount of competition. Girls are forced out of the class when they’re too ...more
Isabel Cody
I absolutely adored this book! I think it was a fabulous read, even if it wasn’t too much of a challenge. The writing was smooth- I loved the free verse style. It brought (I think) a lot more life and movement to the text, makes you picture it a different way.
I could truly connect to this book through my own experiences and that was a fantastic feeling. The character, Clare, finding that she can’t reach the par in the sport of her choice (in this case dancing) and stops after years of training.
Jordan Hughes
Honestly I'm not a fan of ballet so I thought I wouldn't really enjoy this book at all. When I started reading and the main character was describing all the pressures of performing, I began to feel like I could relate to her and what she was thinking. As I continued reading it became less and less about ballet and there was even a point when she stopped altogether.It became more about how she was transforming as a person and I found that very interesting. She discovered what she really loved and ...more
Medeia Sharif
For years Clare has been preparing herself to be a member of the City Ballet. She’s practiced, watched what she ate, and made many sacrifices. But there’s a problem. Not only is the level of competition high, with other highly competent dancers in her class, but she’s grown. She’s too tall and doesn’t match the height of the girls around her.

This novel in verse takes the reader inside the world of ballet through Clare’s point of view. She has what it takes, but her height stands in her way. Als
Maya Campbell
This book was a nice quick read. I left feeling like there was more to the story and the author had forgotten it. It was obviously written by a dancer because of the description of classes and other things of the like. The story was quite predictable and I wish there was a turn or other surprise in the plot. It was a nice book but left me grandly disap-pointe-ed.
Sophie D
This book hit really close to home. Not because of the dance stuff but more because of the situation she got into. I also think this book is poorly named because it's more about fighting through failure and going through things and using a passion to help your way out. Overall I think this was a good book and I liked it.
Aalewan
Riya S.
I thought that the book was okay because the beginning was kind of boring when she was just getting ready for the audition, the middle was way too sad because of what happens to Clare and her family and I thought the author could have written much more in the end.
Nora
I really love this book. Even though it is written in verse, the language isn’t flowery, and you don’t need to spend hours decoding excessive similes and metaphors. That being said, the text is beautiful, and describes the art of ballet perfectly. The characters are believable, with realistic dancer problems; injury, not being able to afford classes and shoes, and eating disorders. The ballet terminology is all correct, (about time!) most likely due to Grover’s clear dance experience.
Madeline
This is a fascinating book about Clare. She has been dancing for 10 years, and her dream is to make it to City Ballet Company. Her dream is so close, but the pressure is getting to her. Her best friend is throwing up to be skinny, and she is still growing. Will her height stop her from getting to the dream that she has worked for her entire life. I would highly recommend this book to anyone who likes a dancing book with emotion and drama.
Sara Britton
Ehh, an extremely forgettable read. Perhaps it's just me but I didn't gain a thing from the story; Clare is a normal teenager with attitude issues, who doesn't really learn or develop much throughout the story. The whole book is a very quick read, very shallow and melodramatic. I thought i'd like it because I love ballet, but all it does is make a villian of the art. The author's got to be seriously butthurt about dance, or something.
Jessica
On Pointe does a fantastic job of describing the life of a ballerina through poetry. It is also a great story of a girl rediscovering her dream after she thinks that it is lost. The detail and dialogue is well written as is the rest of the story. With a great plot and characters that are easy to f all in love with I'd recommend this book to lots of people, but especially those who love to dance as much as I do.
Kathryn
On Pointe is a book about a girl named Clare. The book is written in poems from Clare's point of view. She wants to be in the City Ballet, and after she auditions for it, she is told by her teacher that her skills are good and she could be in City Ballet, but she's too tall and therefore cannot. This was a nice book about a dancer realizing how she dances to dance, and not for her dream.
Hannah
I love this book so much! I have read many ballet books, since I have been a ballet dancer for about 10 years, and this was one of my favorites. Maybe it's because of the odd format that the text is set up in. Maybe it's because it's not your typical ballet book. What do I mean by that????? On Pointe doesn't end like your everyday ballet books. Just read it, and you'll know what I mean!
Jessica Noelle
This was the quickest read of my life, yet it has managed to stay with me all these years. Perhaps it was the eloquent style of Grover's words or the unique view of life from a teenage ballereina... If you're on the edge about reading it though, just do it. It's a quick read, so why not? Just watch, once you flip the last page, you'll be craving for more free verse poetry. Trust me.
Anna Francesca
I wish the characters in this story were more developed. I felt like there were too many two-dimensional people in this world, and the "we dance and therefore have eating disorders" plot is overdone. That said, the comparison of not fulfilling a dream to suffering a stroke is interesting, and the ways the family copes with Grandpa's ordeal are intriguing.
Playgroundlegend45
Oct 19, 2007 Playgroundlegend45 rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Ballerinas and sappy women
I literally read this book in two sittings. It's the quickest read in the world and it's easy to read because it's free form poetry. However, it's sensitive girly bullshit about anorexic ballerinas with a few moments of actual enjoyment. Don't read if you have a penis.
Theresa
I actually enjoyed this book a lot more than I thought I would! It was written in free verse, so it took a little bit to get used to a book written that way, but once I did, I couldn't stop reading! It was beautiful, hopeful, and inspiring. I loved it!
Odette
Your standard ballet book of girl loves ballet, has some life issues, decides ballet might not be for her. Of note because it's told in verse. I'd really like to see more ballet books that break out of this mold, but sadly this doesn't happen too often.
Liza Wiemer
Are you a fan of free verse? ON POINT is a lovely story into the world of ballet and what it takes and what will break a student and keep him or her from moving forward. This is also a touching story about family. A quick, easy read, dance fans will love it!
Mrs. Gallagher's ...: Last book review! 1 9 Apr 30, 2013 02:10PM
  • Dancing on the Inside
  • A Dance of Sisters
  • Marie, Dancing
  • Dancing Through Fire (Portraits, #1)
  • Breaking Pointe: A Ballet Novel
  • The Melting Season
  • Ellie's Chance to Dance (Royal Ballet School Diaries, #1)
  • Winter Season: A Dancer's Journal
  • Dancer
  • A Very Young Dancer
  • dancergirl (WiHi, #1)
  • A Time for Dancing (A Time for Dancing, #1)
  • Classical Ballet Technique
  • Tour de Force
  • Once a Dancer: An Autobiography
  • The Pointe Book: Shoes, Training & Technique
  • I Was a Dancer
  • Holding On to the Air
Lorie Ann Grover is an awarded YA novelist and board book author whose works include Kirkus Starred Review, Firstborn, and Parents Magazine Best Children's Book, Bedtime Kiss for Little Fish. She co-founded readergirlz and readertotz. Living with her husband in the foothills of Mt. Rainier, she writes, practices weapons tai chi, and watches hawks take flight.
More about Lorie Ann Grover...
Firstborn Hit Hold Me Tight Bedtime Kiss For Little Fish Loose Threads