Start by marking “Envy (Luxe, #3)” as Want to Read:
Envy (Luxe, #3)

Envy (Luxe #3)

3.91  ·  Rating Details  ·  20,535 Ratings  ·  1,165 Reviews
Two months have passed since the dramatic homecoming of Elizabeth Holland - Manhattan society eagerly awaits her return. But Elizabeth won't rejoin her sister Diana's side. The whispers are beginning - is all as it seems behind closed doors?

Uptown, Henry and Penelope Schoonmaker are the city's most celebrated couple. But despite the glittering diamond she wears, the newlyw
Published May 7th 2009 by Penguin (first published January 27th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Envy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Envy

Ciri
Dec 01, 2010 Ciri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I hate Penelope.
Jen
Feb 03, 2009 Jen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was so deliciously addicting, I couldn't put it down. The Luxe series seems to get better with each book, as this one is currently my favorite in the series - I really liked the time spent with all the main characters, even the ones you love to hate. And I am of course on the edge of my seat in anticipation of the next book in this series, Splendor (release date unknown).
Donna
Jan 31, 2009 Donna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Heather
Oh the angst! My heart bleeds. Henry made me cry. Diana made me grit my teeth and Elizabeth made me sigh in exasperation. What's next I ask you?

While this series is ridiculous and completely over the top, it is a fabby guilty pleasure read. I swear the characters, apart from Penelope, are a few grapes short of a bushel, but vati are they entertaining.

Penelope has successfully trapped Henry into marring her, but because she is an evil, scheming wench, he is refusing to bed her, lol. She is certai
Rachel
Nov 10, 2009 Rachel rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Nothing happens in this book. It is one long set-up for the next book (which I have heard is the last?). I was only mildly entertained by the change of scenery, but I was mostly annoyed at how none of the characters matured. Please! Penelope is still conniving, Diana is still naive, Elizabeth is still pathetic, Carolina is still clueless, and Henry is still drunk. Am I really supposed to believe that no one suspects the guy Elizabeth ends up marrying of having some kind of ulterior motive? And w ...more
Chloe
Shelves: young-adult
Angie
Feb 11, 2009 Angie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: good-uns, bibliocrack
Third Luxe book and my favorite cover to date. Could just be that it's Diana on the cover and she's my favorite character...but I really like the dress. Actually, this is my favorite book of the three as well. And I really wasn't sure it would be. What with Henry and Penelope being...shudder. But this one seemed the most real. People grew up and, in a couple of notable cases, grew spines. Whether or not it will all be too little too late remains to be seen. The fourth (and final) Luxe book, Sple ...more
Kaykay
Sep 20, 2009 Kaykay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
OMG! so excited to read this! im a big fan! <3 for: big beautiful dresses, reading about drama, old days, etc.
Anne Osterlund
Anna Godbersen’s Luxe series is an exercise in contradictions. Exquisite in its descriptions of the phenomenal wealth of turn of the century New York society. Outrageous in its catastrophic tumbling into the depraved values of said society. And drive-you-up-the-wall in its depictions of flawed selfish characters. For whom— for no discernible reason—you still wish things would go well.

Even though I hate Penelope (who I’m definitely supposed to hate). And I despise Carolina (who I still don’t want
Jessica
I can't put these books down. What is it about them?
Jessica
Same level of interesting enough to keep me reading but not amazing enough to be considered a favorite or one I would read again as the others. I did enjoy the twists and turns of the end, and can't wait to see the conclusion in the last book.
Sarah MacLean
Jan 30, 2009 Sarah MacLean rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult, romance
OMG. Anna Godbersen has done it again. The ending of Envy is so perfectly juicy...I just don't know how I will handle the wait for Splendor! 5 stars!
Meera K.
OH GOD. I swear I've had a love hate relationship with these books. THEY'RE SO BAD THAT THEY'RE GOOD! Every minute I read Envy, all I was thinking about was some flaw with a stupid character in the book or the INCREDIBLY boring plot line. But I just HAD TO FIGURE OUT WHAT WOULD HAPPEN! And after I finished Envy at like 2 AM.. I got up and picked up Splendor. Doesn't sound like I hate them.. but believe me.. I HAVE SO MANY COMPLAINTS.

FIRSTLY: Stupid Characters
Elizabeth: Okay, I understand the tra
Traci
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Sarah Bean the Green Bean Teen Queen for TeensReadToo.com

It's 1900 in New York, and scandal and gossip are never far behind.

Elizabeth Holland is back and everyone is awaiting her re-entrance into society. But things are not as they seem in No. 17 Gramercy Park. Elizabeth and her sister, Diana, are both grieving the loss of their loved ones. When the sisters are invited along on a trip to Florida by the newly married Schoonmakers, they decide this is the perfect escape.

Penelope Schoon
Kate
This third installment of the Luxe series was just as good as the first two books. The relationships between the characters are tangled and soap-opera dramatic, but nothing so confusing that I couldn't follow the story line from the first book. As with the first two books, the prologue hints at the ending, but by the time I got to the ending, what I had imagined to be happening was something entirely different - in a good way.

The one nit-picky thing that bugged me was how the author describes C
Stacey
Mar 11, 2009 Stacey rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya-fiction
Daphne
After reading Rumors, I took a break from this series and I think it was the right thing to do. The books aren't hard to follow and they are all very similar, so I think I would have enjoyed Envy less if I had read it right after Rumors.

Still, I didn't enjoy Envy as much as I enjoyed the first book in this series. I think it might have peaked there, if I'm honest, but the other books are still mindlessly entertaining. They are quick, light reads with lots of drama to keep you turning the page.
Dannalie Diaz
Such irritating characters, such spoiled rich kids, yet such an addicting series. Still waiting for that plot hole in book 1 to be addressed, though...
Cheryl
This book was better then the second book, Rumors, but still not as good as the first book in the series.

Penelope is still a sneaky bitch who uses people to get what she wants. And what she wants is Henry to love her as a man should love his wife, but how can he when he loves Diana. So on a trip to Florida, when Henry and Penelope finally have sex, and he rejects her right after, she decides to clam she is pregnant to get Henry to stay with her. Of course, the consequences of her actions only p
Alison
Jul 06, 2009 Alison rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
OK- let me just say.....there is a point in the book (towards the end) where you have a Scarlet moment (it cracked me up)- you will know what I'm talking about when you get to it.

I guess I should get online to see if there is a fourth book coming out (there better be)......I need more closure from the ending than what I got (but wasn't as bad as the second book-in terms of leaving you hanging).

I loved this series mostly because of all the romance/drama and really can you beleive that it doesn't
YA Reads Book Reviews
Envy is the third instalment in The Luxe series. It picks up right where Rumors left off, with enough scandal to drive even the calmest of readers’ crazy.

Mr Henry Schoonmaker – one of New York’s most eligible bachelors, and the love of Diana Holland’s life – has a new wife, and he’s not one bit happy about it, either. How could he be, when the love of his life is not the woman to whom he is now legally bound? Henry can’t even bring himself to look at Penelope with affection so how is he going to
Trisha
Nov 16, 2013 Trisha rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-physical
I feel the need to explain my rating! lol
So, the writing is still great and the story is still good - from the stand point of a story.

it's the content that's killing me!!!
I've spent two books getting to know the Holland sisters and really being their cheerleader. I'm rooting them on, hoping for good things. And I'm watching these two HORRIBLE HORRIBLE people Lina and Penelope win everything. EVERYTHING.

I know, I know. Maybe this is closer to real life, but seriously - I need a win in the corne
Jenben8426
Apr 26, 2010 Jenben8426 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult
This series is just so Soap Opera"ish" to me! You get a couple together and then some evil character who looks absolutely beautiful comes and tears them apart. No one can say what is obvious to say which drives me bonkers. Again the book had potential but because of all the stupid drama it was hard to find the good. I think the story could have been much better and more entertaining if it wasn't so cliche. I again would say that this book needs to be read if you are 18 or older hence the adult t ...more
Laura | Bookies & Cookies
YouTube Videos
AtYi52B Wrap-Up Weeks 1-4 | https://youtu.be/A8ioxVJlzJg

January 2016 Wrap Up | https://youtu.be/XRx5k8i-3EI

Included in the Around the Year in 52 Books Challenge : Week 1 A book you meant to read in 2015, but didn't. I meant to have the whole series done in 2015, but better late than never!

How could all of them mess up so many things so badly? Hopefully Book 4 will be the conclusion/happily ever after book, though I'm not sure if any of them truly deserve one, except Elizabeth Holla
B.A.  Wilson
Apr 02, 2016 B.A. Wilson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya
It's more secret, lies, gossip, scandal, and drama, as expected.

I both like and hate that I zoned out on some chapters of this book and still easily picked right back up with the story, without rewinding my audiobook. The plot moves forward, but it's never so complicated or fast that I can't jump into the story at almost any point and quickly figure out what is going on with the characters.

It's almost like a TV show. I might not want to miss an episode, but if I do, I can still watch the next
Hessa Issa
I loved the first two so much more. Though I loved the ending, I felt the middle dragged a bit.
Arya *Bibliomaniac!* Fraser Stark
Yeah...Shouldn't have even attempted.
Petty, petty, petty, PETTY.

description

Like, this story did not have my attention or interest at ALL and I swallowed through it just so I can reach my 2016 reading goal...

description

This book makes me glad that I was never popular, or society's envy driven, boyfriend or dress driven. Cuz if I had a life like that...ugh. I would be the first person to commit suicide because I had everything.

Just...UGH.

No, no no no and no.

Mar 07, 2016 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was so good! I can't wait to read the next book.
¡¡¡TRAIGAN ESTE LIBRO A ARGENTINA, POR EL AMOR DE DIOS!!! 1 2 Nov 04, 2014 03:38PM
Crazy for Young A...: Envy (Luxe #3) by Anna Godbersen → Start Date: November 11, 2013 27 22 Nov 17, 2013 11:14AM
Who's on the cover? 35 387 Nov 20, 2012 05:31PM
too read.... 4 23 Jun 20, 2011 12:22AM
When? 3 57 Jul 08, 2008 06:56PM
  • Ingenue (Flappers, #2)
  • The Season
  • Betraying Season (Leland Sisters, #2)
  • Ten Cents a Dance
  • The Springsweet (The Vespertine, #2)
  • The Sweet Far Thing (Gemma Doyle, #3)
  • The King's Rose
  • Scandal (Private, #11)
  • Notorious (It Girl, #2)
  • No Shame, No Fear (No Shame, No Fear #1)
  • The Reluctant Heiress
  • The Silver Blade (French Revolution, #2)
  • Sphinx's Queen (Sphinx's Princess, #2)
  • The Bad Queen: Rules and Instructions for Marie-Antoinette (Young Royals, #6)
Anna Godbersen was born in Berkeley, California, and educated at Barnard College. She currently lives in Brooklyn with her husband.
More about Anna Godbersen...

Luxe (4 books)
  • The Luxe (Luxe, #1)
  • Rumors (Luxe, #2)
  • Splendor (Luxe, #4)

“He was a mystery to her, and every time she tried to solve him it caused her a little more pain. But when she tired to give him up he pursued her in her thoughts, stronger each time.” 400 likes
“To look in the face of hard things and keep moving forward - that's what one has to do.” 88 likes