Start by marking “Fire And Rain (Best Of The Best) (Silhouette Romance)” as Want to Read:
Fire And Rain (Best Of The Best) (Silhouette Romance)

Fire And Rain (Best Of The Best) (MacKenzie-Blackthorn #2)

Elizabeth Lowell's favorite family is back in town. Don't miss this reader favorite!

Owner of the wildest, loneliest ranch this side of the Rockies, Luck MacKenzie hadn't laid eyes on Carla McQueen for three years. Not since they day he'd sent his best friend's kid sister storming from the Rocking M Ranch and out of his life — for what he thought was forever . . .

Now Ca

Published May 1st 1994 by Silhouette (first published December 1st 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Fire And Rain (Best Of The Best), please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fire And Rain (Best Of The Best)

Zeek
I loved these when they were category romances back in the day. Doing a re-read of the series right now to get reviews up.

Wow- Luke has gotta be one of the stubbornest sonofagun heroes I ever wanted to slap the back of a head on in a romance novel. He loved Carla- his best friends little sister- desperately. But he couldn't believe she'd ever want to stay on a ranch the rest of her life- sure she'd run off like his mother and many Mackenzie women before her. So he ran her off instead.

But she's b
Crista
5 stars! (Even after all these years!)

I read this book back in January 1990 when it was first released under the Silhouette Desire line. It was a favorite of mine the instant I read it, and remarkably, after just re-reading it 25 years later, it's STILL is a favorite of mine!

Luke MacKenzine, the owner of the Rocking M ranch, has had feelings for his best friend's little sister for what seems like forever. The initial "big brother" feelings eventually morphed into an elemental, physical, and sexu
Jenny

Carla has been in love with her brother's best friend Luke for ever. Luke wants Carla but he is determined to push her away. He doesn't want to fall in love or marrry and bring Carla to his ranch cause he believes such a life would make her unhappy. Years ago Carla offered herself to Luke and he rejected her cruelly. Now Carla is back from college and is determined to win Luke's heart.

Loved, loved this book. the way Luke fights his feelings for Carla when it's so obvious she is the love of his
Alexis-Morgan Roark
To me, this one was not as good as the first, and I really didn't enjoy the snippets of Case's life offered within its pages-I wanted MORE and I wanted to know what happened with Ty and Janna. Ty/Janna were barely glanced over and this just didnt seem right given the full treatment from the previous book. It just didn't sit well with me.

I will say that Luke is quite yummy-all big and hard and hairy. What's not to like? Our heroine, Carla, should have kicked his butt to the curb and gone after Te
Rebecca Crowley
Mar 24, 2013 Rebecca Crowley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a classic, old-school romance that really hit the spot. The formula is tried and tested for a reason: virginal heroine overwhelmed by her passion, emotionally unavailable hero with a heart of gold, set on an isolated, wild ranch full of Anasazi ruins. What could be finer?

Lowell's writing is florid and rich, and although none of the swoony, melodramatic dialogue is even within orbit of being realistic, it's all the more fantastic as a result. This is an enjoyable glimpse into romance nove
Sheila Melo
Feb 05, 2015 Sheila Melo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Classic and Yes a Bit Melodramatic

"Three years ago he had wanted Carla so badly that he had sent her running for her life from the Rocky M. And him."

THE STORY: Luke MacKenzie knows that he will never marry and bring a woman to his family's ranch where marriages have been destroyed for a century. After a childhood where his mother and sister were torn from him and his father drank himself to death, Luke is determined to avoid falling in love and marrying. His problem is that he has wanted his bes
Christine
I have been disappointed in these books in this series after the 1st book. This was short, ended abruptly and was too similar to all the other books after the 1st one.
T.
Jul 13, 2015 T. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this when it was first released as a paperback, January's Man of the Month for Silhouette in 1990. I bought all four of this series (at the time there were only four) and the paperbacks have moved with me through many states and many re-readings. Now that they are available as Kindle books, I purchased them again and am reading them on my Kindle.

This book is just as good as I remember it being! I love the characters that are involved with the Rocking M Ranch as well as the different plot
Kathy Cordero
Mar 20, 2010 Kathy Cordero rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Nunca había leído nada de esta autora, ni siquiera la había oído mencionar, este libro lo compre a inicios de año junto con uno de Nora Roberts porque los halle a un precio súper barato. Ahora puedo darme cuenta porque.

Bien, salgamos de lo desagradable primero, este libro no presenta nada de misterio e intriga, la escritora no tiene lo que se llama un excelente uso de la palabra a menos claro que se traten de esas de alto contenido sexual, en cuento a descripciones, nula; sentimientos de persona
Maura
Jun 29, 2014 Maura rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, new
The book was very typical. Little sister loves big brother's best friend. Hero is rich, ranch owner and unable to love. Heroine is door mat. I did like the history of Indian lore and caverns and relics.
Maddux
Elizabeth Lowell always hits the spot with her romances.
jenjn79
C K
Oct 10, 2012 C K rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This series (Granite Man, Fire and Rain, Warrior, Outlaw) on the people of Rocking M ranch is fantanstic! This is an author that I have read a lot of and have added her books to my 'keeper' book shelf. Most I have read at least twice and some even more than that. Always in depth characters that anyone can identify with on some level.
Marie
Jul 17, 2016 Marie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lowell-elizabeth
While this book fits the formulaic structure of a traditional romance to a 'T', Elizabeth Lowell does a fine job of developing her characters. It is a short book, so she can only go so far; however, with the limits on space, she does an excellent job.
W. Ferraro
Jan 11, 2013 W. Ferraro rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
loved loved loved this! You couldn't help but fall in love with Luke. The internal battle he goes through regarding his true feeings for Carla, makes you root for them even more. When he makes the rocking chair for her, gets me every time.
Barbara
Sep 10, 2010 Barbara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good read! Loved all the "pet" names Luke had for Carla -- Sunshine, Baby, Schoolgirl! Very intimate love scenes could have been scaled down a little but the story was so good that I couldn't put the book down until I finished it.
sakura_txell
Mar 26, 2015 sakura_txell rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Un libro flojo, muy flojo. Corto y sin pretensiones de grandeza, pero la autora podría haber desarrollado más la trama y darle más profundidad a los peronajes. Pero tampoco esperaba más, así que no ha habido decepción.
Jill
Aug 21, 2009 Jill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, I accidentally read Warrior (the last book) first, but even knowing their relationship in the future, I liked this book a lot more than Warrior. I felt that Carla and Luke's relationship was a lot more developed.
Joan
Feb 08, 2013 Joan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved the storyline but didn't enjoy the continuous litany of the male main character. The same line repeated over and over was really annoying but other than that is was a fun read.
Taria Reed
The story was just ok. No joke, I didn't realize I was hearing a sex scene until I head them scream out each other's name. Talk about purple prose!!

Story - 1.75
Narrator - 2.5
Dana
Carla and Luke

This is a quick, intense read. I love how EL packs so much emotion into each character, this is an own and re-read for me. 3 stars.
Suziep11
First in the MacKenzie Series. This is the story of Luke & Carla/ It takes place in the 4 corners region and is a contemporary romance.
4.5 on a 5.0 scale
Yona
Jun 17, 2012 Yona rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
I didn't enjoy this book at all. But at least the end wasn't so bad. It was a happy finish for the story.
Lesli
Jul 14, 2010 Lesli rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, 2004
Carla and Luke. Fun re-read if I have an hour. Standard 80s romance.
Carol
McKenzie/Blackthorn Series - Book II - Carla McQueen & Luke McKenzie
Jodi
Mar 02, 2012 Jodi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2012
Some parts I really enjoyed, some seems pretty dated.
Aimee
Aug 01, 2013 Aimee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
los sentimientos que me transmitio... todavia impactan
Dawnie
May 03, 2012 Dawnie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorite Elizabeth Lowell series!
  • The Ruby
  • The Case Of The Mesmerizing Boss (Most Wanted #1)
  • Roman Holiday: The Complete Adventure (Roman Holiday, #1-10)
  • Soft Focus
  • Terms of Possession (Romance)
  • Touched by Fire
  • Now You See Him...
  • Shaken
  • The Prince's Captive Wife (The Royal House of Karedes #3)
  • Bound by Marriage
  • Christmas Revels
  • Her Nine Month Confession
19051
Individually and with co-author/husband Evan, Ann Maxwell has written over 60 novels and one work of non-fiction. There are 30 million copies of these books in print, as well as reprints in 30 foreign languages. Her novels range from science fiction to historical fiction, from romance to mystery. After working in contemporary and historical romance, she became an innovator in the genre of romantic ...more
More about Elizabeth Lowell...

MacKenzie-Blackthorn (5 books)
  • Reckless Love (MacKenzie-Blackthorn #1)
  • Outlaw
  • Granite Man (Silhouette Desire, #625)
  • Warrior