Inked (World of the Lupi, #4.7)

Inked (Otherworld/Sisters of the Moon 0.5)

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  4,122 ratings  ·  162 reviews
Four of today's hottest urban fantasy writers together for the first time!

From today's most provocative authors come four tales of urban fantasy and paranormal romance exploring body art that is more than it seems-in a world of magic and mayhem that always leaves its mark.

This captivating tattoo theme surrounds each author's popular characters and worlds: Karen Chance's...more
Mass Market Paperback, 437 pages
Published January 5th 2010 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about Inked, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Inked

Mockingjay by Suzanne CollinsSpirit Bound by Richelle MeadDead in the Family by Charlaine HarrisLinger by Maggie StiefvaterClockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare
Can't Wait Books of 2010
189th out of 1,185 books — 10,703 voters
On the Prowl by Patricia BriggsMen of the Otherworld by Kelley ArmstrongStrange Brew by P.N. ElrodMust Love Hellhounds by Charlaine HarrisDead After Dark by Sherrilyn Kenyon
Best Paranormal Romance/Urban Fantasy Anthologies
23rd out of 150 books — 236 voters

More lists with this book...

Melindeeloo
Magical tatoos are the thread that ties together four substantial short stories by popular urban fantasy authors Karen Chance, Marjorie Liu, Yasmine Galenorn and Eileen Wilks. These stories are just the quick 'fix' to tide us fans over while waiting for the next books in our favorite series but with a nice mix of story, suspense and even a bit of steam they are also great introductions to these authors' wonderful urban fantasy worlds.

Chance's "Skin Deep" is the third short starring half werewol...more
All Things Urban Fantasy
Courtesy of AllThingsUrbanFantasy.blogspot.com

Review:
Skin Deep by Karen Chance. Karen’s story once again features War Mage/were Lia (who is featured on the cover) and her werewolf love interest Cyrus. If you want to read all of the stories about these characters (and you should because they are fantastic) the reading order would be:

1. Rogue Elements (included in the Wolfsbane and Mistletoe anthology)
2. Vegas Odds (included in the Strange Brew anthology)
3. Skin Deep (included in the Inked anth...more
Schnaucl
This is a set of four novella length stories that deal in some way with tattoos.

Skin Deep by Karen Chance - Every time I read a story about Lia I think I'd like to read about her in a series but it seems that so far she's destined only to appear in anthologies like these. For some reason, the Cassandra Palmer series never really did it for me. Anyway, it's a good story although the tattoo aspect seems tangential to the story.

Armor of Roses by Marjorie M. Liu - This was probably my favorite stor...more
Jodi
I read this book for the Marjorie Liu Hunter Kiss story and that alone was worth the read. Having another Eileen Wilks Lupi story with Lily and Rule made reading through the end worthwhile. The other stories by Karen Chance and Yasmine Galenorn had hot sex and the Chance story made me put Touch the Dark higher up on my TBR pile. The Galenorn story had very, very hot sex but a confusing story. The Liu story takes Maxine back in time to save the lives of four children but that's not the real reaso...more
Lynn Calvin
Amazon preorder.

I'm sort of torn about these anthologies that have "4.5" of this series, and 3.5 of another series. This anthology I don't mind, because I would buy an anthology for any one of three of the stories. (I just haven't gotten into Gaelorn.)This anthology I didn't mind, three excellent must buy authors, and one that was fine to pass the time. I'm glad, because sometimes I end up buying these for one story and feeling robbed. This was good value.

I love Chance, I love Liu and I love Wil...more
Dark Faerie Tales
Review Courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: Four novellas featuring love and ink.

The Review:

This anthology contains four stories of love, loss, and tattoos that move, shift, kill, protect, empower and even turn into demons. If only my ink did any one of those things, well not kill, but still.

“Skin Deep” by Karen Chance

Skin Deep features a half-were-half-human heroine, who is also a mage and a member in the War Mage Corps, which is kind of like the magical police. Her mate is a full bl...more
♥ Ashleigh ♥  contrary to popular belief im not actually mad!
Inked is a collection of four short storys

Skin Deep by Karen Chance, pages 1-125
Lia de Croissets short story 3 - occurred after Curse the Dawn
other Lia short storys occurred:
short story 1 = Wolfsbane and Mistletoe
short story 2 = Strange Brew

Lia managed to get a dark mage ward stuck to her and even with the help of caleb and jamie (kick ass war mages) cant seem to get rid of the thing, between that and trying to save the werewolves from a skin hunter you could say lia is having a bad day.
all th...more
L-D
Eileen Wilks' "Human Nature" is a short story that takes place in the Lupi world. A Lupus has been murdered and another lupus, Jason Chance, is being accused of the murder. Lily and Rule must travel home to San Diego to help solve this mystery. This is Jason's first appearance but his character plays a minor role in Wilks' next novel in the series, Blood Magic. - 5 stars

Marjorie M. Liu's "Armor of Roses" - okay, my review may be a little biased but I read her Hunter Kiss series. The first book w...more
Christine
First things first: The blurbs at the back are EXTREMELY misleading. Don't base your expectations of the novella on them.

The anthology averaged 3 stars but let's spread it out...

Karen Chance: 5 stars. I love Lia de Croisset's stories and this one was well balanced (action and emotions). I re-read the ending several times.

Marjorie M. Liu: 2 stars. It was boring and heading nowhere and I developed a strong dislike of the heroine. The only reason it got 2 stars instead of one was the last page, whi...more
Archer
Starting with the first book in the series with Karen Chance, I had actually tried to read her other stories before and I didn't like her writing style, and then I got to read this story Skin Deep, I really enjoyed this book and would love to read more of this story, still not a fan of her other books but this one was great.

And then came Marjorie M Liu, I really loved the dynamics of the story and the history that came with it, I have allready added the series to my must be read books..

As for Y...more
Lorre
I've only read the Karen Chance story so far.

Skin Deep (Cassie Palmer 4.4) by Karen Chance
I just love Lia and Cyrus and was glad to see Skin Deep was another short story about them.
This story is set in the Cassie Palmer world with 2 characters that haven't appeared in the full novels (yet? I hope they will) so this short story can be read without reading the series. Although it might be easier to follow if you know what the Silver Circle is, the war and why the werewolves allied with the humans...more
Diane ~Firefly~
Pretty good anthology. I enjoyed 3 of the 4 stories.

Skin Deep by Karen Chance - I really enjoy the short stories of the war mage, Lia. If she ever gets her own book, I will definitely pick it up. Although I wouldn't mind seeing her and Cyrus together for more of the story.

Armor of Roses by Marjorie M. Liu - first I've read by this author. Premise was intriguing (with demons who live on the heroine and protect her from danger). This story was so-so for me, but intrigued me enough to put The Iron...more
Greymalkin
Marisa
Skin deep by Karen Chance: I've liked it a lot (4). I don't like very much Cassandra's book but Lia de Crochet, yes, I do, I've read her story at "Strange brew" and I enjoyed a lot. I've to look for "Wolfbane and Mistletoes".
Armour of roses by Marjorie M. Liu: I've liked it, and I've finished with a little twitch in my guts (4). Perhaps I'll continue with the series.
Etched in silver by Yasmine Galenorn: I couldn't finish it. I don't know, I don't feel it right for me.
Human nature by Eileen Wilks...more
Carolyn F.
My review is 3.5 because two of the stories I loved and two I didn't. Well, at least I didn't like the Yasmine Garenorn story UNTIL I read the summary of her next book with Camille & Trillian. This story felt rushed with it's HEA but then the next book, it doesn't look like that all. Marjorie Liu's story was so confusing. Maybe if I'd read her other books, I would have enjoyed it more. I loved Eileen Wilk's Lily story and Karen Chance's story. Would recommend the book just for those two.
Sandra
Just read Skin Deep by Karen Chance and Human Nature by Eileen Wilks and both were excellent.

Skin Deep could be omitted from the Cassie Palmer stories and it wouldn't matter, except you'd miss some fine writing and storytelling.

Human Nature introduces Robert Friar in a more personal way, and reinforces Rule and Lilly's relationship, and should be read if you're into World of the Lupi.
Kerry
Rating is for "Human Nature" by Eileen Wilks.

I nicely done story featuring Lily and Rule at set at the same time as Night Season. Probably not absolutely necessary, but I suspect also a good one to read as it has so interesting Nokolai background in it. I hope we see more of Jason and Mannie as the series progresses. Maybe even Mariah.
Shavonya
it only gets the four because on Wilkes. Chance's story was ok and the others i could have done without.
Preethi
Skin Deep by Karen Chance : 5 stars
This is my first of Karen Chance's works, and I enjoyed it a lot. The story was well developed too. Lia's mate goes missing, while she is on a search for the killer of a slew of shifter murders, and it's up to Lia, Caleb and Jamie to stop the killer and also save her mate in time. To do that, she has to venture quite literally into the underground world. I'll definitely be checking out more of Ms. Chance's books soon.

Armour of Roses by Marjorie Liu: 2 stars
I...more
Theresa
Four tattoo themed medium short stories.

1)Skin Deep by Karen Chance. 4.5 Cassandra Palmer series. 4 stars.
Lia deCroissets is trying to solve the murder of a were and find her rogue husband by searching through an illegal maze of tunnels under Las Vegas. Her dragon tat reminds me of Simi in the Dark Hunter series.
Ward tattoos: Dragon, a leach, ants, owl, Thunderbird, dolphin and 4 wolves.

2)Armor of Roses by Marjorie M Liu 3.5 Hunter Kiss series. 2 stars.
Maxine Kiss and Grant find a dying man...more
Barbara ★
I'm don't usually like anthologies because the stories don't have any meat to them and everything is super rushed. However, I really enjoyed this batch of shorts.

Skin Deep by Karen Chance (5 stars)
You just gotta love a story that starts:

"Get it off! Get it off!"
"I'm trying!" Caleb grabbed a numb stick out of a drawer. "It would help if you stayed still for half a second."
"You stay still with claws in your ass." I snarled, as they sank a little deeper.

Come on, doesn't that make you want to pick...more
Cindi
I know I swore I wasn't going to read any more anthologies, but when I saw this one on my library's New Books page, I gave it a try without real hesitation due to the inclusion of Marjorie M. Liu's entry. Actually, I like all the authors in this book. And all the stories were long enough to be effective and not feel like "diet" books (not at all filling or satisfying), which is my objection to anthologies.

Story-wise, they went from good to great.

First up was Karen Chance's "Skin Deep", which fe...more
Jessica
Overall, I found this an enjoyable anthology - a great introduction to some urban fantasy authors I'd heard good things about but hadn't had a chance to read yet.

Skin Deep / Karen Chance - Magic-user Lia hunts through an alternate Las Vegas to find her missing werewolf boyfriend. While reading it, I could tell that there was a lot of back-story I was missing out on, but that didn't prevent me from enjoying the story. My only previous experience with Chance was trying to reach Touch the Dark a fe...more
Kathleen Burket
I have completed two of the stories in this anthology:

Etched in Silver, a prequel to Yasmine Galenorn's Sisters of the Moon series and Human Nature, #4.5 in Eileen Wilks, World of the Lupi series.

Etched in Silver is a wonderful addition to the Sisters of the Moon series. This exceptionally well-done short story explains much of Trillian and Camille's relationship and you finally understand why he is her alpha lover. After this story you may want to see Smokey and Morio drop out of the picture.

H
Starry
Jennie Leigh
This anthology just didn't do it for me. In fairness, I am not an avid urban fantasy reader. I enjoy contemporary fantasy and paranormal, as well as sci-fi and more traditional romances and thriller/action novels. I thought this would lure me as well, but it just didn't strike any chords for me. I had to force myself to finish the book, just because I hate to leave any book unfinished, and because I hoped that at least one of the stories might hook me. Some of them are better than others, but I...more
Trina
Skin Deep - this was an interesting storyline. I would have liked the tattoo to have more to do with the storyline. I really liked the way the author tied the two lovers together via their mate bond.

Armor of roses - I felt like I was missing a huge part of the background to this story....it seemed to pick up from some earlier story and kept moving forward. Because of that it took me a little to get into the actual story and feel like I knew what was going on. Once there, I really liked the heroi...more
Shannon (Savhage Temptrest)
Skin Deep by Karen Chance was a fast-paced, action-packed, hilarious thrill ride to begin this anthology of "Inked." Lia, the half-Were, half-human war mage is back, only this time she's dealing with uncontrollable magic, a missing boyfriend, a mangled dead Were, and a dragon tatoo that is more than what it seems. This was just a fantastic short-story, and I really like how Lia has progressed as a character from her previous stories in two other anthologies. I just love her adventures!

Armor o...more
Shannon
“Skin Deep” Karen Chance - ***1/2 Lia is a bit of a mess. On top of that she's a mage who carries werewolf blood, but is not a werewolf. Her odd skills are requested when her boyfriend goes missing, and she's the only one who can find him.
“Armor of Roses” Marjorie Liu Hunters Kiss 3.5 - ***1/2 This was clearly part of a larger series, but did well on its own. Maxine and her invisible, sometimes tatto-like demons are her protectors, and accompany her on a trip back in time to meet her grandmother...more
So, I Read This Book Today
I am addicted to anthologies. With so many new and upcoming authors out there, and known authors I haven't tried yet, this is a perfect "taste" of the new, and a toe-dip into the 'somewhat known'.

"Skin Deep" is the first short story I ever read by Chance, and lead me to another anthology, "On The Prowl". Everyone else has told you the story line, so I will just say that the story was enjoyable, and was my first step to adding Chance to my 'must read' list. Will see how that goes.

Liu is, as alway...more
Karen Chance Fans: Skin Deep (Lia de Croissets #3) 18 102 Sep 05, 2014 06:26AM
help me 4 13 Sep 02, 2013 09:45AM
A Cyber Launch Party For Karen Chance's New Release DEATH'S MISTRESS 3 9 Aug 15, 2013 12:34PM
The Gauntlet By Karen Chance Available In New Mammoth Book Of Paranormal Romance 1 7 Oct 04, 2010 11:30PM
  • Hexed (Kate Daniels, #4.5; Otherworld, #9.5; Stormwalker, #2.5; Anna Strong Chronicles, #6.5)
  • Mortal Sins (World of the Lupi, #5)
  • Huntress (Cin Craven #3.5, Black London #1.5)
  • Never After (Otherworld/Sisters of the Moon, #6.5)
  • Wild Thing (Includes: Warriors of Poseidon, #1.5; Guardians, #1.5)
  • Chicks Kick Butt
  • Harvest Hunting (Otherworld / Sisters of the Moon #8)
  • Strange Brew
  • Darkness Calls (Hunter Kiss, #2)
  • Tied with a Bow (Includes: Breeds, #25; World of the Lupi, #8.5)
Karen Chance is the author of two New York Times bestselling series, plus a number of novellas and short stories, all set in the Cassandra Palmer universe. A full-time writer since 2008, she was previously a university history teacher, which comes in handy when writing the time-travel aspect of Cassie’s crazy adventures. She loves Las Vegas, the main setting for her novels, but currently lives in...more
More about Karen Chance...
Touch the Dark (Cassandra Palmer, #1) Embrace the Night (Cassandra Palmer, #3) Curse the Dawn (Cassandra Palmer, #4) Claimed By Shadow (Cassandra Palmer, #2) Death's Mistress (Dorina Basarab, #2)

“He was a hot, hot former priest and she wanted to pull a Thorn Birds on his ass.” 15 likes