Start by marking “Inked (World of the Lupi, #5.5)” as Want to Read:
Inked (World of the Lupi, #5.5)

Inked (Otherworld/Sisters of the Moon 0.5)

3.98  ·  Rating Details  ·  5,128 Ratings  ·  188 Reviews
Four of today's hottest urban fantasy writers together for the first time!

From today's most provocative authors come four tales of urban fantasy and paranormal romance exploring body art that is more than it seems-in a world of magic and mayhem that always leaves its mark.

This captivating tattoo theme surrounds each author's popular characters and worlds: Karen Chance
Mass Market Paperback, 437 pages
Published January 5th 2010 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about Inked, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Inked

Mockingjay by Suzanne CollinsSpirit Bound by Richelle MeadDead in the Family by Charlaine HarrisLinger by Maggie StiefvaterClockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare
Can't Wait Books of 2010
191st out of 1,217 books — 10,667 voters
On the Prowl by Patricia BriggsMen of the Otherworld by Kelley ArmstrongStrange Brew by P.N. ElrodMust Love Hellhounds by Charlaine HarrisDead After Dark by Sherrilyn Kenyon
Best Paranormal Romance/Urban Fantasy Anthologies
22nd out of 210 books — 274 voters

More lists with this book...

Melindeeloo
Magical tatoos are the thread that ties together four substantial short stories by popular urban fantasy authors Karen Chance, Marjorie Liu, Yasmine Galenorn and Eileen Wilks. These stories are just the quick 'fix' to tide us fans over while waiting for the next books in our favorite series but with a nice mix of story, suspense and even a bit of steam they are also great introductions to these authors' wonderful urban fantasy worlds.

Chance's "Skin Deep" is the third short starring half werewol
Sophia
I raced through a few favorite Urban Fantasy series and skipped a couple of the themed anthologies that contained the shorter stories in the series. Finally, I'm going back for them. This anthology- which by the way has a cool theme- only contains two series I'm following so I'll read those first, but I do plan to read the other two as well since they are authors I am interested in.

First up, I read Skin Deep by Karen Chance 4.5 Stars
#4.5 Cassandra Palmer series

This story took side character, Li
Laura (Kyahgirl)
March 2016: I just re-read the Eileen Wilks story as part of my World of the Lupi re-read. This story runs concurrently with the events of book 4, Night Season. Great short story.

2010 review: I didn't like the Yasmine Galenorn short story but the Wilks and Chance stories were 4 star and the Liu story was a 3 star.
All Things Urban Fantasy
Courtesy of AllThingsUrbanFantasy.blogspot.com

Review:
Skin Deep by Karen Chance. Karen’s story once again features War Mage/were Lia (who is featured on the cover) and her werewolf love interest Cyrus. If you want to read all of the stories about these characters (and you should because they are fantastic) the reading order would be:

1. Rogue Elements (included in the Wolfsbane and Mistletoe anthology)
2. Vegas Odds (included in the Strange Brew anthology)
3. Skin Deep (included in the Inked anth
Schnaucl
Apr 28, 2010 Schnaucl rated it really liked it
This is a set of four novella length stories that deal in some way with tattoos.

Skin Deep by Karen Chance - Every time I read a story about Lia I think I'd like to read about her in a series but it seems that so far she's destined only to appear in anthologies like these. For some reason, the Cassandra Palmer series never really did it for me. Anyway, it's a good story although the tattoo aspect seems tangential to the story.

Armor of Roses by Marjorie M. Liu - This was probably my favorite stor
Jodi
Apr 10, 2010 Jodi rated it really liked it
I read this book for the Marjorie Liu Hunter Kiss story and that alone was worth the read. Having another Eileen Wilks Lupi story with Lily and Rule made reading through the end worthwhile. The other stories by Karen Chance and Yasmine Galenorn had hot sex and the Chance story made me put Touch the Dark higher up on my TBR pile. The Galenorn story had very, very hot sex but a confusing story. The Liu story takes Maxine back in time to save the lives of four children but that's not the real reaso ...more
Lynn Calvin
Jan 14, 2010 Lynn Calvin rated it it was amazing
Amazon preorder.

I'm sort of torn about these anthologies that have "4.5" of this series, and 3.5 of another series. This anthology I don't mind, because I would buy an anthology for any one of three of the stories. (I just haven't gotten into Gaelorn.)This anthology I didn't mind, three excellent must buy authors, and one that was fine to pass the time. I'm glad, because sometimes I end up buying these for one story and feeling robbed. This was good value.

I love Chance, I love Liu and I love Wil
Dark Faerie Tales
Apr 28, 2012 Dark Faerie Tales rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed-by-kiwi
Review Courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: Four novellas featuring love and ink.

The Review:

This anthology contains four stories of love, loss, and tattoos that move, shift, kill, protect, empower and even turn into demons. If only my ink did any one of those things, well not kill, but still.

“Skin Deep” by Karen Chance

Skin Deep features a half-were-half-human heroine, who is also a mage and a member in the War Mage Corps, which is kind of like the magical police. Her mate is a full bl
♥ Ashleigh ♥  contrary to popular belief im not actually mad!
Inked is a collection of four short storys

Skin Deep by Karen Chance, pages 1-125
Lia de Croissets short story 3 - occurred after Curse the Dawn
other Lia short storys occurred:
short story 1 = Wolfsbane and Mistletoe
short story 2 = Strange Brew

Lia managed to get a dark mage ward stuck to her and even with the help of caleb and jamie (kick ass war mages) cant seem to get rid of the thing, between that and trying to save the werewolves from a skin hunter you could say lia is having a bad day.
all t
L-D
Eileen Wilks' "Human Nature" is a short story that takes place in the Lupi world. A Lupus has been murdered and another lupus, Jason Chance, is being accused of the murder. Lily and Rule must travel home to San Diego to help solve this mystery. This is Jason's first appearance but his character plays a minor role in Wilks' next novel in the series, Blood Magic. - 5 stars

Marjorie M. Liu's "Armor of Roses" - okay, my review may be a little biased but I read her Hunter Kiss series. The first book w
Christine
Jan 24, 2010 Christine rated it liked it
Shelves: 2010, january
First things first: The blurbs at the back are EXTREMELY misleading. Don't base your expectations of the novella on them.

The anthology averaged 3 stars but let's spread it out...

Karen Chance: 5 stars. I love Lia de Croisset's stories and this one was well balanced (action and emotions). I re-read the ending several times.

Marjorie M. Liu: 2 stars. It was boring and heading nowhere and I developed a strong dislike of the heroine. The only reason it got 2 stars instead of one was the last page, whi
Archer
Jul 25, 2010 Archer rated it really liked it
Starting with the first book in the series with Karen Chance, I had actually tried to read her other stories before and I didn't like her writing style, and then I got to read this story Skin Deep, I really enjoyed this book and would love to read more of this story, still not a fan of her other books but this one was great.

And then came Marjorie M Liu, I really loved the dynamics of the story and the history that came with it, I have allready added the series to my must be read books..

As for Y
Lorre
May 06, 2014 Lorre rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: t-b-r
I've only read the Karen Chance story so far.

Skin Deep (Cassie Palmer 4.4) by Karen Chance
I just love Lia and Cyrus and was glad to see Skin Deep was another short story about them.
This story is set in the Cassie Palmer world with 2 characters that haven't appeared in the full novels (yet? I hope they will) so this short story can be read without reading the series. Although it might be easier to follow if you know what the Silver Circle is, the war and why the werewolves allied with the humans
Diane ~Firefly~
Pretty good anthology. I enjoyed 3 of the 4 stories.

Skin Deep by Karen Chance - I really enjoy the short stories of the war mage, Lia. If she ever gets her own book, I will definitely pick it up. Although I wouldn't mind seeing her and Cyrus together for more of the story.

Armor of Roses by Marjorie M. Liu - first I've read by this author. Premise was intriguing (with demons who live on the heroine and protect her from danger). This story was so-so for me, but intrigued me enough to put The Iron
Greymalkin
Jul 20, 2010 Greymalkin rated it it was ok
Marisa
Jan 18, 2010 Marisa rated it liked it
Skin deep by Karen Chance: I've liked it a lot (4). I don't like very much Cassandra's book but Lia de Crochet, yes, I do, I've read her story at "Strange brew" and I enjoyed a lot. I've to look for "Wolfbane and Mistletoes".
Armour of roses by Marjorie M. Liu: I've liked it, and I've finished with a little twitch in my guts (4). Perhaps I'll continue with the series.
Etched in silver by Yasmine Galenorn: I couldn't finish it. I don't know, I don't feel it right for me.
Human nature by Eileen Wilks
Shayla Gibson
Jul 01, 2015 Shayla Gibson rated it liked it
Skin Deep, by Karen Chance - I had not heard of this series, or this author, prior to picking up this anthology. It is a deficit I feel I must correct; this was a well-written, engaging story that drew me efficiently into the world and didn't waste the small space available in a short story with exposition. I will be adding Chance's books to my wishlist.

Armor of Roses, by Marjorie M. Liu - I had heard of this series, and actually picked up the first book but haven't read it yet. This short has c
Carolyn F.
My review is 3.5 because two of the stories I loved and two I didn't. Well, at least I didn't like the Yasmine Garenorn story UNTIL I read the summary of her next book with Camille & Trillian. This story felt rushed with it's HEA but then the next book, it doesn't look like that all. Marjorie Liu's story was so confusing. Maybe if I'd read her other books, I would have enjoyed it more. I loved Eileen Wilk's Lily story and Karen Chance's story. Would recommend the book just for those two.
Sandra
Dec 31, 2013 Sandra rated it really liked it
Just read Skin Deep by Karen Chance and Human Nature by Eileen Wilks and both were excellent.

Skin Deep could be omitted from the Cassie Palmer stories and it wouldn't matter, except you'd miss some fine writing and storytelling.

Human Nature introduces Robert Friar in a more personal way, and reinforces Rule and Lilly's relationship, and should be read if you're into World of the Lupi.
Kerry
Dec 29, 2010 Kerry rated it liked it
Rating is for "Human Nature" by Eileen Wilks.

I nicely done story featuring Lily and Rule at set at the same time as Night Season. Probably not absolutely necessary, but I suspect also a good one to read as it has so interesting Nokolai background in it. I hope we see more of Jason and Mannie as the series progresses. Maybe even Mariah.
Michelle
Oct 24, 2014 Michelle rated it really liked it
Skin Deep - 4/5 - Really drawn into this one. Wish it was longer.

Armor of Roses - 2/5 - Could not even continue reading this :(

Etched in Silver - 4/5 - I swear I read something very similar but can't put my finger on what it was... but I was hooked in. :)

Human Nature - 4/5 - got to see what Lily and Rule were doing while Cynna & Cullen were in Edge. Personally, for 2 people who need to be completely honest with each other - they never are. Listen there are a lot of people you could lie to or
Shavonya
Mar 23, 2010 Shavonya rated it really liked it
Shelves: para-romance, fantasy
it only gets the four because on Wilkes. Chance's story was ok and the others i could have done without.
Aly is so frigging bored
5* for Karen Chance's SS
Jenevieve
Jun 16, 2015 Jenevieve rated it really liked it
Review first posted on My Blog. Check out all my reviews there.

A collection of urban fantasy novellas with tattoos figuring heavily into the story.

Skin Deep by Karen Chance ~ A story that takes place in the world of Cassie Palmer. Lia is a war mage who has been sidelined due to injury but now she has a magical ward that has taken up residence on her skin which she has no idea how to remove or what it does. She can't be bothered with that when she finds out that her boyfriend, the werewolf Cyrus,
Natalie
Oct 19, 2014 Natalie rated it really liked it
A good anthology!
Skin Deep is #4.5 in the Cassandra Palmer World series. I got tired of the main series but if there were more books about Lia and Cyrus then I'll be totally back on with the series. Unfortunately there aren't currently but maybe in the future?
Armour of Roses is #3.5 in the Hunter Kiss series. Well, Maxine and Grant are two of my favorite series characters and this short just reinforces why. If this is your first taste of them and you even think that you like it then start the se
Preethi
Jul 02, 2014 Preethi rated it really liked it
Skin Deep by Karen Chance : 5 stars
This is my first of Karen Chance's works, and I enjoyed it a lot. The story was well developed too. Lia's mate goes missing, while she is on a search for the killer of a slew of shifter murders, and it's up to Lia, Caleb and Jamie to stop the killer and also save her mate in time. To do that, she has to venture quite literally into the underground world. I'll definitely be checking out more of Ms. Chance's books soon.

Armour of Roses by Marjorie Liu: 2 stars
I
Theresa
Jan 10, 2015 Theresa rated it liked it
Four tattoo themed medium short stories.

1)Skin Deep by Karen Chance. 4.5 Cassandra Palmer series. 4 stars.
Lia deCroissets is trying to solve the murder of a were and find her rogue husband by searching through an illegal maze of tunnels under Las Vegas. Her dragon tat reminds me of Simi in the Dark Hunter series.
Ward tattoos: Dragon, a leach, ants, owl, Thunderbird, dolphin and 4 wolves.

2)Armor of Roses by Marjorie M Liu 3.5 Hunter Kiss series. 2 stars.
Maxine Kiss and Grant find a dying man
Barbara ★
I'm don't usually like anthologies because the stories don't have any meat to them and everything is super rushed. However, I really enjoyed this batch of shorts.

Skin Deep by Karen Chance (5 stars)
You just gotta love a story that starts:

"Get it off! Get it off!"
"I'm trying!" Caleb grabbed a numb stick out of a drawer. "It would help if you stayed still for half a second."
"You stay still with claws in your ass." I snarled, as they sank a little deeper.

Come on, doesn't that make you want to pick
Cindi
Jun 04, 2010 Cindi rated it really liked it
I know I swore I wasn't going to read any more anthologies, but when I saw this one on my library's New Books page, I gave it a try without real hesitation due to the inclusion of Marjorie M. Liu's entry. Actually, I like all the authors in this book. And all the stories were long enough to be effective and not feel like "diet" books (not at all filling or satisfying), which is my objection to anthologies.

Story-wise, they went from good to great.

First up was Karen Chance's "Skin Deep", which fe
Jessica
Jun 16, 2010 Jessica rated it really liked it
Overall, I found this an enjoyable anthology - a great introduction to some urban fantasy authors I'd heard good things about but hadn't had a chance to read yet.

Skin Deep / Karen Chance - Magic-user Lia hunts through an alternate Las Vegas to find her missing werewolf boyfriend. While reading it, I could tell that there was a lot of back-story I was missing out on, but that didn't prevent me from enjoying the story. My only previous experience with Chance was trying to reach Touch the Dark a fe
Karen Chance Fans: Skin Deep (Lia de Croissets #3) 24 119 Jan 12, 2016 06:12AM
help me 4 15 Sep 02, 2013 09:45AM
A Cyber Launch Party For Karen Chance's New Release DEATH'S MISTRESS 3 11 Aug 15, 2013 12:34PM
The Gauntlet By Karen Chance Available In New Mammoth Book Of Paranormal Romance 1 8 Oct 04, 2010 11:30PM
  • Mortal Sins (World of the Lupi, #5)
  • Huntress (Cin Craven #3.5, Black London #1.5)
  • Hexed (Kate Daniels, #4.5; Otherworld, #9.5; Stormwalker, #2.5; Anna Strong Chronicles, #6.5)
  • Harvest Hunting (Otherworld / Sisters of the Moon #8)
  • Chicks Kick Butt
  • Never After (Otherworld/Sisters of the Moon, #6.5)
  • Strange Brew
  • Wild Thing (Includes: Warriors of Poseidon, #1.5; Guardians, #1.5)
  • A Wild Light (Hunter Kiss, #3)
  • Nocturnal
Karen Chance is the author of two New York Times bestselling series, plus a number of novellas and short stories, all set in the Cassandra Palmer universe. A full-time writer since 2008, she was previously a university history teacher, which comes in handy when writing the time-travel aspect of Cassie’s crazy adventures. She loves Las Vegas, the main setting for her novels, but currently lives in ...more
More about Karen Chance...

Otherworld/Sisters of the Moon (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • Witchling (Otherworld/Sisters of the Moon #1)
  • Changeling (Otherworld / Sisters of the Moon, #2)
  • Darkling (Otherworld / Sisters of the Moon #3)
  • Dragon Wytch (Otherworld / Sisters of the Moon, #4)
  • Night Huntress (Otherworld / Sisters of the Moon, #5)
  • Demon Mistress (Otherworld / Sisters of the Moon, #6)
  • Bone Magic (Otherworld / Sisters of the Moon, #7)
  • Harvest Hunting (Otherworld / Sisters of the Moon #8)
  • Blood Wyne (Otherworld / Sisters of the Moon, #9)
  • Courting Darkness (Otherworld / Sisters of the Moon #10)

“He was a hot, hot former priest and she wanted to pull a Thorn Birds on his ass.” 15 likes