Start by marking “High Bloods” as Want to Read:
High Bloods

High Bloods

It happened quickly. Overnight, the greater Los Angeles area found itself in the horrifying grasp of a werewolf epidemic. Twenty eight days of the month they are no different than you or me--the High Bloods, who managed to go unaffected. But every full moon, they are the most ravenous creatures man has ever seen.
A new law-enforcement agency has been created to keep tab
Published July 21st 2009 by Tor Books

To ask other readers questions about High Bloods, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about High Bloods

Jax
Jun 12, 2013 Jax added it
Shelves: did-not-finish
absolutely terrible book.
a) there were two typos in the first 20 pages (fine, this is forgivable)
b) author suffers from probably not ever getting laid, much like Stephen King's Dark Tower series or Arturo Perez Reverte's Dumas Club, women are both outrageously gorgeous, yet have very little sexual experience, yet, drop their clothes at a moments notice for the protag and say stuff like "my body is yours", i'm surprised the author didn't note that these women come as soon as the dude enters them
Eillo
Sep 22, 2009 Eillo rated it really liked it
Shelves: pwnd
A fascinating take on werewolf lore that blends a supernatural detective noir with a near future doomscape. A seemingly pre-apocolyptic California and presumably beleaguered America is under a near constant fear of a werewolf attack. I'm not going to ruin anything but it's a pretty solid read if you're into supernatural cop noir fiction with interesting governmental theories and even more interesting culture that emerges when all Hell breaks loose.
Edwina Callan
Jan 15, 2014 Edwina Callan rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bookcrossing, 2014
For the most part this book was a bore and a snore, plodding slowly along.
One of those books where, the entire time I'm reading it, I just kept thinking,
Get On With It Man.
This would have worked very well as a short story, but at 299 pages it just drags on and on and on.
dennis
Oct 01, 2009 dennis rated it it was amazing
near future LA, cool "special division" cop type stuff, and WEREWOLVES. can't go wrong, highly recommended!
Shannon
Jan 18, 2016 Shannon rated it it was ok
2016 Reading Challenge:
"A book you've been meaning to read"

High Bloods.
For starters, if you're looking for a good book about werewolves or really even containing some little interesting parts about werewolves, this is NOT the book for you. If you're looking for a good detective style book, then give this one a shot, because in reality that's High Bloods. A detective story with the occasional scene/mention of werewolves.

High Bloods was on my 2016 Reading Challenge list (A book I've been meaning
Jolene
Sep 06, 2013 Jolene rated it really liked it
THIS BOOK WAS MORE TO MY TASTE SO TO SPEAK. IT DID GET A LITTLE BORING IN SOME PARTS, BUT I DID NOT LOOSE TOTAL INTEREST IN IT THOUGH. I WOULD RECOMMEND IT FOR MOSTLY ADULT READING DUE TO THE LANGUAGE, BUT OTHERWISE A NICELY WRITTEN BOOK.

It happened quickly. Overnight, the greater Los Angeles area found itself in the horrifying grasp of a werewolf epidemic. Twenty eight days of the month they are no different than you or me--the High Bloods, who managed to go unaffected. But every full moon, the
Victoria
Ehh.. this book had such a great premise and though its characters were strong, as well, it was ultimately lacking. Right off the bat, I was more than a little alienated by the terminology used - and while there was a glossary, I just don't understand why the first time the "new" words were used they weren't defined! Some were, but definitely not all, which took a while to get used to. Also, the most interesting part of the book (the werewolves and their new society) were hardly touched upon! I ...more
Reshy
Sep 17, 2012 Reshy rated it did not like it
For what was supposed to be a horror genre werewolf story it managed to fail at both. It spends too much time gawking at crime-thrillers instead of psychological horrors and other werewolf stories. I say that because the werewolves in the setting feel tacked on, artifical. Werewolves in name only, they could have easily been replaced with vampires or some other creature they could make up and it wouldn't have changed the story a single bit. The horror elements weren't even present until the end ...more
Scotchneat
This had the potential to be a good book. Weres are out, and there's a distinct class distinction between those with were blood - the bad parts of town and an increasing number of people in the US - and the high bloods who are human pure - gated communities.

This one was kind of stop and start. The story would get rolling and then something would come not right - not sure if it was the dialogue or the mystery story or what.

Some of the characterizations were interesting, though. In other hands, mi
Coki
Nov 01, 2009 Coki rated it liked it
Interesting concept with noirish execution. But maybe overly complicated? If you need a glossary and then don't put everything in the glossary I think that is a point against you. More science fictiony than fantasy which was not what I expected. I would call it an urban science fantasy (if there is such a thing.)
Donna
Nov 09, 2009 Donna rated it did not like it
I was only able to finish about half of this before I decided on returning it to the library. The pacing felt really odd, and all the slang and jargon felt ridiculous enough to keep me from connecting with anything that was going on. It got old fast.

There is a glossary, but I'm not flipping back and forth between that and the story for the sake of an otherwise average werewolf noir novel.
Americanogig
Oct 04, 2009 Americanogig rated it it was ok
Although this was sold as a horror, with a review by Stephen King on the very front, it read as more of a crime-thriller. As a horror story? Not so great-no chills, moments of creep, nothing. As a crime story? Very good, A+ moments. Interesting to read about familiar Orange County/LA County locations such as Irvine and Antelope Valley. Think modern-day crime noir with werewolves.
Aaron
Jun 19, 2016 Aaron rated it liked it
A disappointing book that creates a very unique work in which werewolves and people live in together but fear is everywhere and people don't want to live yet part of the words don't ring true and the book is less horror and more detective story. I wish that it had been scarier but instead it has no scares despite the frightening world it created.
Jason
May 04, 2013 Jason rated it liked it
meh
first - this book (at least the cover version i had) was rather mis-marketed and labeled as a horror novel. Nope - mystery/detective story that happens to have werewolves. But never scary and not horrific.

Next - to describe it - all I can think of is this: if Artemis Fowl grew up as an old, ornery detective seeking werewolves - that'd be this book. Rather mediocre and disappointing
Nick Muller
Jul 22, 2009 Nick Muller rated it it was amazing
Awesome. Werewolves like they should be. Not a story about tween dudes with there shirts off fighting over one Annoying chick. Mr Farris actually creates a whole new set of terms used to describe the werewolves and there habits that makes the book completely original.
Kira
Feb 01, 2010 Kira rated it did not like it
i couldn't finish this one. it seems as if he's trying to write another Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep or Clockwork Orange. But with werewolves. And a glossary at the end. I hate glossaries, and pretentious fake "future slang".
Mike Oliveri
Nov 01, 2009 Mike Oliveri rated it did not like it
I pushed through to page 150 or so and just couldn't stay with it. I really did want to like it, but it felt too much like a SyFy Channel flick or a roleplaying game setting, and there wasn't a lot happening in the pages I read.
Sarah Giffen
Mar 31, 2013 Sarah Giffen rated it liked it
It was interesting. Instead of the virus turning people into zombies, it turned people into werewolves. There's a whole police unit meant for this. It was good, but there are some loose threads that never get solved in the end. It was good though.
Holly
Aug 15, 2011 Holly rated it it was ok
Long and drawn out story line. Took me forever to finish, did not suck me into the plot and the characters like most werewolf books.
Jen
Jul 05, 2011 Jen rated it it was ok
Picked up off the bargin bin at the Dollar Store...different type of read. Reminded me a lot of the old Mickey Spillane detective novels.
Eleanor Greyloch
Mar 21, 2012 Eleanor Greyloch rated it really liked it
A thriller, that actually thrilled, there were many plot twists and turns. Tons of action, and werewolves!
Maria
Mar 26, 2012 Maria rated it it was ok
Shelves: horror
There was too much going on and no clear ending.
Terri
R. is a cop who works Lycan crimes. And this one is a doozy. Interesting Farris has created but it kind of dragged for me.
Lexyvs
Jun 23, 2011 Lexyvs rated it liked it
This was an interesting take on the werewolf genre. Points for being innovating in a genre that's pretty saturated.
Karly
Jan 10, 2014 Karly rated it it was ok
2.5 stars. It was ok and I kind of liked it but ....not really
Chris
Chris rated it liked it
Apr 22, 2010
Alex
Alex rated it really liked it
Dec 23, 2009
Vicky
Vicky rated it liked it
Jul 27, 2016
Rita
Rita rated it it was ok
Sep 26, 2010
John
John rated it really liked it
Mar 01, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Shapeshifter
  • Never Ceese (Thirsting for Blood, #1)
  • A Lycanthropy Reader: Werewolves in Western Culture
  • Frostbite (Cheyenne Clark, #1)
  • Hair in All the Wrong Places: The Perils of Growing Up Werewolf
  • The Pack (The Pack, #1)
  • The Bad Death
  • Kung Fu High School
  • The Art of Avatar: James Cameron's Epic Adventure
  • Avatar: A Confidential Report on the Biological and Social History of Pandora
  • The Werewolf's Guide to Life: A Manual for the Newly Bitten
  • My Boyfriend Bites (My Boyfriend Is a Monster, #3)
  • Moon Dance
American writer and screenwriter of both adaptations of his own books (e.g. 'The Fury'), of the works of others (such as Alfred Bester's 'The Demolished Man') and original scripts. In 1973 he wrote and directed the film 'Dear Dead Delilah'. He has had several plays produced off-Broadway, and also paints and writes poetry. At various times he has made his home in New York, Southern California and P ...more
More about John Farris...