High Bloods

High Bloods

2.95 of 5 stars 2.95  ·  rating details  ·  111 ratings  ·  23 reviews
It happened quickly. Overnight, the greater Los Angeles area found itself in the horrifying grasp of a werewolf epidemic.Twentyeight days of the month they are no different than youor me--theHigh Bloods, who managed to go unaffected. But every full moon, they are the mostravenous creaturesman has ever seen.
Anew law-enforcement agency has been created to keep tabs on the
Published July 21st 2009 by Tor Books

To ask other readers questions about High Bloods, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about High Bloods

Moon Called by Patricia BriggsShiver by Maggie StiefvaterBitten by Kelley ArmstrongCry Wolf by Patricia BriggsBlood and Chocolate by Annette Curtis Klause
Werewolf Books
433rd out of 555 books — 661 voters
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. RowlingTiger's Curse by Colleen HouckPure by Jennifer L. ArmentroutSea Glass by Maria V. SnyderCity of Ashes by Cassandra Clare
In Love With BLUE Covers!
196th out of 236 books — 62 voters

More lists with this book...

Jax
Jun 14, 2013 Jax added it
Shelves: did-not-finish
absolutely terrible book.
a) there were two typos in the first 20 pages (fine, this is forgivable)
b) author suffers from probably not ever getting laid, much like Stephen King's Dark Tower series or Arturo Perez Reverte's Dumas Club, women are both outrageously gorgeous, yet have very little sexual experience, yet, drop their clothes at a moments notice for the protag and say stuff like "my body is yours", i'm surprised the author didn't note that these women come as soon as the dude enters them...more
Eillo
Oct 06, 2009 Eillo rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: pwnd
A fascinating take on werewolf lore that blends a supernatural detective noir with a near future doomscape. A seemingly pre-apocolyptic California and presumably beleaguered America is under a near constant fear of a werewolf attack. I'm not going to ruin anything but it's a pretty solid read if you're into supernatural cop noir fiction with interesting governmental theories and even more interesting culture that emerges when all Hell breaks loose.
Edwina Hall Callan
For the most part this book was a bore and a snore, plodding slowly along.
One of those books where, the entire time I'm reading it, I just kept thinking,
Get On With It Man.
This would have worked very well as a short story, but at 299 pages it just drags on and on and on.
dennis
near future LA, cool "special division" cop type stuff, and WEREWOLVES. can't go wrong, highly recommended!
Jolene
THIS BOOK WAS MORE TO MY TASTE SO TO SPEAK. IT DID GET A LITTLE BORING IN SOME PARTS, BUT I DID NOT LOOSE TOTAL INTEREST IN IT THOUGH. I WOULD RECOMMEND IT FOR MOSTLY ADULT READING DUE TO THE LANGUAGE, BUT OTHERWISE A NICELY WRITTEN BOOK.

It happened quickly. Overnight, the greater Los Angeles area found itself in the horrifying grasp of a werewolf epidemic. Twenty eight days of the month they are no different than you or me--the High Bloods, who managed to go unaffected. But every full moon, the...more
Victoria
Ehh.. this book had such a great premise and though its characters were strong, as well, it was ultimately lacking. Right off the bat, I was more than a little alienated by the terminology used - and while there was a glossary, I just don't understand why the first time the "new" words were used they weren't defined! Some were, but definitely not all, which took a while to get used to. Also, the most interesting part of the book (the werewolves and their new society) were hardly touched upon! I...more
Reshy
For what was supposed to be a horror genre werewolf story it managed to fail at both. It spends too much time gawking at crime-thrillers instead of psychological horrors and other werewolf stories. I say that because the werewolves in the setting feel tacked on, artifical. Werewolves in name only, they could have easily been replaced with vampires or some other creature they could make up and it wouldn't have changed the story a single bit. The horror elements weren't even present until the end...more
Scotchneat
This had the potential to be a good book. Weres are out, and there's a distinct class distinction between those with were blood - the bad parts of town and an increasing number of people in the US - and the high bloods who are human pure - gated communities.

This one was kind of stop and start. The story would get rolling and then something would come not right - not sure if it was the dialogue or the mystery story or what.

Some of the characterizations were interesting, though. In other hands, mi...more
Jason
meh
first - this book (at least the cover version i had) was rather mis-marketed and labeled as a horror novel. Nope - mystery/detective story that happens to have werewolves. But never scary and not horrific.

Next - to describe it - all I can think of is this: if Artemis Fowl grew up as an old, ornery detective seeking werewolves - that'd be this book. Rather mediocre and disappointing
Donna
I was only able to finish about half of this before I decided on returning it to the library. The pacing felt really odd, and all the slang and jargon felt ridiculous enough to keep me from connecting with anything that was going on. It got old fast.

There is a glossary, but I'm not flipping back and forth between that and the story for the sake of an otherwise average werewolf noir novel.
Americanogig
Although this was sold as a horror, with a review by Stephen King on the very front, it read as more of a crime-thriller. As a horror story? Not so great-no chills, moments of creep, nothing. As a crime story? Very good, A+ moments. Interesting to read about familiar Orange County/LA County locations such as Irvine and Antelope Valley. Think modern-day crime noir with werewolves.
Coki
Interesting concept with noirish execution. But maybe overly complicated? If you need a glossary and then don't put everything in the glossary I think that is a point against you. More science fictiony than fantasy which was not what I expected. I would call it an urban science fantasy (if there is such a thing.)
Karly
2.5 stars. It was ok and I kind of liked it but ....not really
Nick Muller
Awesome. Werewolves like they should be. Not a story about tween dudes with there shirts off fighting over one Annoying chick. Mr Farris actually creates a whole new set of terms used to describe the werewolves and there habits that makes the book completely original.
Sarah Giffen
It was interesting. Instead of the virus turning people into zombies, it turned people into werewolves. There's a whole police unit meant for this. It was good, but there are some loose threads that never get solved in the end. It was good though.
Kira
i couldn't finish this one. it seems as if he's trying to write another Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep or Clockwork Orange. But with werewolves. And a glossary at the end. I hate glossaries, and pretentious fake "future slang".
Mike Oliveri
I pushed through to page 150 or so and just couldn't stay with it. I really did want to like it, but it felt too much like a SyFy Channel flick or a roleplaying game setting, and there wasn't a lot happening in the pages I read.
Jen
Picked up off the bargin bin at the Dollar Store...different type of read. Reminded me a lot of the old Mickey Spillane detective novels.
Holly
Long and drawn out story line. Took me forever to finish, did not suck me into the plot and the characters like most werewolf books.
Terri
R. is a cop who works Lycan crimes. And this one is a doozy. Interesting Farris has created but it kind of dragged for me.
Lexyvs
This was an interesting take on the werewolf genre. Points for being innovating in a genre that's pretty saturated.
Eleanor Greyloch
A thriller, that actually thrilled, there were many plot twists and turns. Tons of action, and werewolves!
Darshan Elena
Boring. Lots of errors and dull prose. Didn't make it past page sixty.
Acacia Kane
Acacia Kane marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2014
Hhkk Jui
Hhkk Jui marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2014
Amanda Newell
Amanda Newell marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2014
American writer and screenwriter of both adaptations of his own books (e.g. 'The Fury'), of the works of others (such as Alfred Bester's 'The Demolished Man') and original scripts. In 1973 he wrote and directed the film 'Dear Dead Delilah'. He has had several plays produced off-Broadway, and also paints and writes poetry. At various times he has made his home in New York, Southern California and P...more
More about John Farris...
All Heads Turn When the Hunt Goes By The Fury Son of the Endless Night Baby Moll Phantom Nights