Start by marking “The Deceived (Jonathan Quinn, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Deceived (Jonathan Quinn, #2)

The Deceived (Jonathan Quinn #2)

4.07  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,177 Ratings  ·  106 Reviews

A freelance operative and professional “cleaner,” Jonathan Quinn knows better than to get emotionally involved in any of his jobs. But Quinn’s latest job is different. A friend has been murdered. A woman has gone missing. And for Jonathan Quinn, this time it’s personal.

When Quinn is called to a busy L.A. port where a shipping container has just come in from the sea, he
Published June 23rd 2009 by Dell (first published June 24th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Deceived, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Deceived

Mike (the Paladin)
This is the second of this series that I have picked up. The first was (in my opinion of course) a little mediocre but readable. The book had a solid idea and was about a "type" character I hadn't seen before.

Sadly it just never really drew me in.

This one drew me in even less. I had to make myself go back and pick it up when I'd laid it aside. I had the CD audio ans started putting it on to listen to when i went to bed just because I "felt" I "needed" to get through it. This of course led to the
Eric_W
Feb 25, 2011 Eric_W rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read and enjoyed the first Quinn novel. Quinn is a cleaner, a person hired to remove bodies and clean up after assorted mishaps. In this 2nd in the series, Quinn has been hired to get rid of a body in a shipping container. He discovers that it’s an old friend Steven Markoff, a CIA operative who once saved his life. On the wall of the container, Markoff had scratched a series of numbers and two letters: LP.

As a way of honoring his old friend, Quinn decides to contact Jenny, Markoff’s girlfrien
Jeffrey
Aug 18, 2008 Jeffrey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Thriller fans and spy novel fans
Another super book from Brett Battles in his series about the Cleaner -- Jonathan Quinn, who was introduced in the first volume in this series called The Cleaner. In this novel, Quinn, who cleans up dead bodies and other messes for various intelligence agencies or other parties that can pay his fee, is sen to clean up a shipping container which has a dead body in it. It turns out the dead body is a friend of Quinn, who feels that he should find out what happened to him. When Quinn investigates h ...more
Susan
Feb 05, 2016 Susan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I wanted to like this book. Enthusiastic blurbs from famous authors touted it. Alas, The Deceived did not live up to the hype. Battles has written a series of thrillers featuring Jonathan Quinn, a man with an unusual occupation. Quinn is a cleaner, the man others hire to dispose of inconvenient bodies. In this instance, Quinn is sickened to discover that the corpse is one of his best friends.

Battles immerses us in the discovery with a spot-on atmospheric description, the sight and smell of a dec
Kulpreet Yadav
Jul 20, 2013 Kulpreet Yadav rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a cracking thriller. The narrative is riveting. It is the second book in the series and I am already kicking myself for not having read the first.

The twists and turns in the plot are absolutely spellbinding. And the character of Jonathan Quinn is compelling – unique and intriguing. He works freelance and his job description is that of a ‘cleaner’. Someone who cleans up the mess left behind by the criminals at the crime scene. Mostly dead bodies. Can it get more intriguing than this?

The
Dave
Jun 12, 2015 Dave rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this to be just an OK read, I didn't enjoy it as much as the first in the series. There wasn't much to set it apart from anything else in the genre I'm afraid, it was kind of "meh".

I was intrigued by Quinn's cool, quiet, professionalism in the first book but this is more guns blazing action film and I feel a bit let down by that. Don't get me wrong, it's good, but when the reader is expecting something else it will never measure up.

[SPOILERS]

I figured out pretty early on that Tasha was
apple
In book two, Jonathan Quinn is out for personal revenge when his friend is gruesomely murdered. I think the sequel is a bit sluggish and predictable (hel-lo?! the obvious villain!) but still I’d like to give a shoutout to the author for weaponizing durians in an exciting espionage fight scene. Double-oh-seven himself couldn’t have come up with that spark of genius.

I really do like Jonathan Quinn series so far but by the end of book two I sort of feel like the story started to saunter towards the
Ron Chicaferro
The Deceived by Brett Battles is the second book in a series with undercover "cleaner" Jonathan Quinn.

Like the first book, The Cleaner, The Deceived is the story of spies, counterspies and murder. You never quite know who the bad guys are - or the good guys for that matter. But, if you like a James Bond type of adventure novel then this book and the author's first book is something you should read. Personally, I thought the first book, The Cleaner, was much more exciting then The Deceived. Like
Amit Ghosh
Jul 05, 2016 Amit Ghosh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a professional cleaner, Quinn has to "clean" the "event-spot" disposing the dead body. But if the assignment is related to the dead body of his old friend Steven Markoff, ex-CIA agent? How Quinn will treat this matter when not only he has to "clean" his friend, but also to search Jenny, the girl friend of his soon-dead friend, who is missing from the day Markoff is vanished. The matter becomes more complicated when Guerrero, a powerful political leader (a congressman of USA) is shown to be as ...more
Arthur Okun
Oct 23, 2015 Arthur Okun rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the second book in the series featuring Jonathan Quinn. The first is the CLEANER.Both crime novels
were "unputdownable,a tightly written page turner."Quinn is a freelance operative and professional cleaner.---he gets rid
of bodies.In this novel his friend former CIA is killed in a very gruesome manner. And he must find his lover Jenny
and tell of Markoff's death.From L>A.-Washington,D.C. , Asia. There is a plot to kill a possible candidate for President
and Quinn.s "Staff" Orlando,and N
Kevin
Apr 04, 2012 Kevin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In my review of Brent Battles' first book, The Cleaner, I said that I looked forward to his next book. Well, it finally was returned to the library and it was definitely worth the wait. Battles returns Quinn, Nate and Orlando to The Deceived and they have their hands full in this outing. In The Deceived Quinn is called upon to do another cleaning for a client. What Quinn finds when he gets to the job shakes and saddens him. The body to be disappeared is that of a good friend friend and ex-CIA ag ...more
Debi
Aug 25, 2008 Debi rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I loved Brett Battles debut The Cleaner. There were a few newbie bumps but it was a good job with a fun new character. I hurried out and eagerly picked up The Deceived, knowing I'd be in for another sleepless night but the story would be worth it.

I was immediately drawn in,turning those pages as fast as I could. Talk about your sophomore slumps, ouch, the middle, not even Quinn the cleaner could help the slumping middle. The snappy dialogue got lost. The characterization that was well done in th
Maddy
Aug 11, 2013 Maddy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2008-reads
RATING: 4.25

As a professional cleaner, Jonathan Quinn is the man you call upon when you need a crime scene cleaned up so there will be no evidence left behind, whether that be disposing of bodies or removing trace evidence. He is an independent operative and feels no qualms about turning down jobs that he thinks aren't going to turn out well. At first, that's how he feels when he's asked to remove a body from a shipping container; it seems to him that there's a high risk of things going awry. He
Harry
Following my discovery of Lee Child's hero, I began scouring the genre landscape for similar heroes: alone, powerful, possessing principles (even in professions that refute that notion). One evening, during such research I stumbled across the author Brett Battles and his unlikely hero: Jonathan Quinn.

What we have here is a principled cleaner: you know, the guy that cleans up after grissly killings. (Well, I did say it is an unlikely hero). He reminds us of Eisler's John Rain. The man has a stric
Blood Rose Books
Aug 21, 2013 Blood Rose Books rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the second novel in Brett Battles' Jonathan Quinn series and while I think it could be read as a stand alone novel, the first book, The Cleaner, really does introduce all the characters and how they are connected in the second book (plus you get some background history on Quinn) but not too much is directly related back to the first. Still the first is a great read and I recommend it.

Brett Battles is back with his second novel in his Johnathan Quinn series, where an old friend leaves him
Cheryl
Jun 09, 2008 Cheryl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jonathan Quinn is an independant free- lance "cleaner". What that means is that Quinn disposes of bodies that people need to make disappear. So when Quinn goes to the LA shipping docks for a job, no one is more surprised than Quinn when he reconizes the body as a former CIA agent and friend Steven Markoff. Markoff's body was stuffed into a barrel but inside the barrel is some writing that looks to be some type of code. Quinn is off to figure out the mystery behind why his friend was killed. Also ...more
Michael
Jun 28, 2008 Michael rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2008, arc
Jonathan Quinn is a freelance cleaner and the man you call when you’ve got a mess than needs cleaning up. Quinn can get rid of any and all evidence and erase any trail that leads to you up to and including the disposal of a dead body.

When Quinn is called on to dispose of the body of a former associate and close friend Steven Markoff, Quinn takes it on himself to contact Markoff’s girlfriend, Jenny Fuentes. When he finds Jenny has disappeared, Quinn puts his skills and resources into finding out
KarenC

Quinn returns to take on a job for free. He must be well paid when he does work - I envy all those flights in first class! All of the flying must help rack up huge numbers of frequent-flyer miles, although quite how is a question, since Quinn does seem to change identities and fly every possible airline. Don't know how he knows which name & passport to use at check-in.

I'm intrigued by the amount of detail Quinn notices and processes in pressure situations. It surely helps keep him and his t

Josh
Jan 29, 2012 Josh rated it liked it
Shelves: own, read_2012
'The Best Lies are those hidden in truths.'

Jonathan Quinn - highly skilled disposer of postmortem human waste lands a case which hits all too close home. The subject - Steven Markoff, a close friend of Quinn's with whom he owes his life - literately, is found dead in a shipping container fresh from the Singapore docks. The discovery soon sets a chain of events in motion which land Quinn in hot water from America to Singapore with many factions vying for his head and that of Markoff's partner and
Shelley aka Gizmo's Reviews
Description: A friend and old colleague has been murdered. A woman has gone missing. And for Jonathan Quinn, this time it's personal.

Anonymity. Trust. Professionalism. In his world, Jonathan Quinn has a few rules. He'll get rid of bodies that have to disappear; nothing ever gets traced back to him. But when Quinn is called to a busy Los Angeles port where a shipping container has just come in from the sea, it's clear his rules have been violated. Inside the crate is a dead man—a man who once sav
Jason Edwards
I'm on vacation in Kauai, rented cottage, one of those cute little places complete with a fat stack of hard-back mysteries. The usual suspects: Block, LeCarre, Grisham, Cruz Smith. I choose The Deceived because I like the title. A beer, a comfortable chair on the front porch, and I’m ready.

I’m only half a page in when it starts feeling familiar. I’ve never been to Kauai, and when I was in Honolulu the only other time I’ve been to Hawaii, I read sci-fi in an air-conditioned Hyatt. So why am I get
Brian Krause
Jan 31, 2014 Brian Krause rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For a sophomore effort, Brett Battles has done nicely.

Very good story, well told.

Some of the downside was me figuring out who the antagonist was very early in the book, well before our protagonist did, so I was just waiting and wondering when he would figure it out, which was slightly detracting.

Secondly, and in no way am I disparaging the fairer sex, but when our protagonist was in a physical fight with a "bad guy" female, it was too even. In a gun battle perhaps women will hold their own but w
Morad
Feb 13, 2013 Morad rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
- This is the second book of Jonathan Quinn's novels. The first one named (The cleaner). If you haven't read the first part you should first before reading this book. Not because they depend on each other no. Just that this book has BIG spoilers about the first book.

- The book is great. As a thriller I expected and hoped the pace would be better but halfway throw the book it picked up a good rhythm. The build up took long so I got a little bored in the second forth of the book.

- The writer som
Arthur
May 10, 2016 Arthur rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Deceived (a Jonathan Quinn book 2)

Quinn is drawn into the plot when he is tasked to perform a cleaning job, but when he discovers that the body is an old dear friend, he is not sure what the job means because of the message his dead friend has left for him. Come along as the action takes you to the D.C. area, back across the country and then to Singapore where the truth finally comes out. Thanks for another great read.
Larry Hoffer
I had never heard of Brett Battles before I found this book at Borders one day, but it looked like the type of book I like to read periodically. And I must say, I really enjoyed this! I devoured the entire book in a day.

The Deceived is the second book by Battles that features Jonathan Quinn, a professional "cleaner." Although I hadn't read Battles' first book, I didn't feel as if I missed anything; this one pretty much stood on its own. One day Quinn is hired to remove a body found in a shipping
Jun 24, 2014 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Johnathan Quinn disposes of dead bodies - only this time, it's a close friend and his girlfriend has also disappeared suddenly. Quinn makes it his mission to track her down & find out just what her & his friend were embroiled in.

An intelligent thriller, well paced. Love the characters ... some great twists and turns, those that you can see coming and some shockers that you don't! Well worth a look!
Mark
Aug 30, 2014 Mark rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The characters in this book are flat and predictable. The women are badly drawn two-dimensional caricatures who depend on the uber-macho male protagonist for everything (with the exception of the one strong female character). The protagonist is blind to the actions of those around him when it's convenient to the plot. When the plot twists happen, things flip flop so unrealistically it's laughable.
Johnnie Gee
Aug 09, 2014 Johnnie Gee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good read. This story had a twist that I didn't see coming and I think I am good at figuring out who, what, when, and where. Well this time I was surprised.

Jonathan is out to help his dead friend's girlfriend, but first he has to find her. Part of the problem is she doesn't want to be found and she doesn't want his help.

Good story.......
Bec
Jan 20, 2012 Bec rated it really liked it
After reading a Jonathan Quinn novel further into the series, I decided i should read some of his other works. The Cleaner, the first in the series was out of the library, but I picked up The Deceived and found that it was a cracking read. Something about Quinn's job - being a cleaner - that is extremely interesting and a point of difference compared to other thriller/action novels.

I thought that The Deceived was a wonderful book, well written and the plot was very well thought out. The twist a
Dan
The Deceived by Brett Battles is a suspense thriller about a "cleaner", a freelance operative [return]who is called in to dispose of bodies. His latest job turns out to be an old friend. This leads him[return]into a dangerous case where personal feelings could be his downfall. Jonathan Quinn, the main character,[return]is a resourceful, skilled operative, the tops in his elite field. The story has lots of action and[return]several nice twists in the plot. I did find myself wishing I cared more a ...more
  • The Killer Ascendant (John Rain, #6)
  • Hostage Zero (Jonathan Grave, #2)
  • The Invisible (Ryan Kealey, #3)
  • The Accident Man (Samuel Carver, #1)
  • Ballistic (The Gray Man #3)
  • Agent X (Steve Vail, #2)
  • Even (David Trevellyan, #1)
  • Pirate (Stratton, #7)
  • The Venetian Judgment (Agent Micah Dalton, #3)
  • The Sniper and the Wolf (Sniper Elite, #3)
  • The Secret Soldier  (John Wells, #5)
  • Once a Spy
Brett Battles is a Barry Award-winning author of over twenty-five novels, including Rewinder, the Jonathan Quinn series, the Logan Harper series, and the Project Eden series. He’s also the coauthor, with Robert Gregory Browne, of the Alexandra Poe series. You can learn more at his website: brettbattles.com
More about Brett Battles...

Jonathan Quinn (10 books)
  • The Cleaner (Jonathan Quinn, #1)
  • Shadow of Betrayal (Jonathan Quinn, #3)
  • The Silenced (Jonathan Quinn, #4)
  • The Destroyed (Jonathan Quinn, #5)
  • The Collected (Jonathan Quinn, #6)
  • The Enraged (Jonathan Quinn, #7)
  • The Discarded (Jonathan Quinn #8)
  • The Buried (Jonathan Quinn #9)
  • The Unleashed (Jonathan Quinn #10)