Start by marking “Organic and Chic: Cakes, Cookies, and Other Sweets That Taste as Good as They Look” as Want to Read:

"When I bring one of my sweets into the room—whether at a wedding or an intimate dinner party—the expressions on people's faces turn that celebration into a memory I'll never forget. That's what baking should be."

Many people are coming to recognize the merits of eating organic ingredients, but the idea of "organic baked goods" may bring to mind food that is more boring tha
Published June 2nd 2009 by William Morrow Cookbooks (first published May 28th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Organic and Chic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Organic and Chic

Nancy Harbord
Feb 14, 2017 Nancy Harbord rated it it was amazing
Organic and Chic is a gorgeous cake book, by New York custom cake baker Sarah Magid. Her beautiful, quirky, rustic style is a joy to look at and she shares full instructions about how to recreate it. This collection of dessert creations blew me away with its gorgeous opulent style and its natural organic focus.

There is loads of excellent, detailed cake decorating technique, loads of incredibly delicious recipes, a clear friendly writing voice and the imaginative touch of a stylish, unpretentious
Beth
Jun 06, 2011 Beth rated it liked it
Shelves: blog-review, reviews
Originally published at BethsBookReviews.com

I saw this on display at one of the nearby libraries that I frequent and after seeing that it was a) a cookbook and b) about desserts I immediately had to check it out.

First, the pictures are absolutely beautiful. The cakes and such are rather fussily (aka you need to actually be Martha Stewart or have the patience of a saint) decorated but they are quite stunning. The cakes themselves (undecorated) are quite reasonable for the average baker with a Kit
Melissa
Oct 02, 2009 Melissa rated it really liked it
Shelves: food
This book has beautiful photography and unbelievably tasty recipes. I just made Uncle Gravy's Apple Cake with Caramel Cream Cheese Frosting, and while I had to adjust the icing recipe a bit*, it was still delicious. I can't wait to try the Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Lemon-Zest Frosting or the gorgeous Lotus Cake.

Why only four stars then? While the author is all about organic everything, she uses a lot of food coloring in her icings. Granted, her cakes are beautiful, but I'm not sure that it'
Koeeoaddi
Nov 12, 2002 Koeeoaddi rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2012, cooking
Without the "organic" in the title, 4.5 stars. Lots of pretty photos and decadently appealing recipes.

With the emphasis on organic ingredients, though, it becomes unintentionally amusing. All that natural freshly churned creamery fat, pure organic cane calories and happy free range cholesterol.
Karen
Apr 03, 2011 Karen rated it liked it
Shelves: food
nice looking cakes to make if I baked cakes
Lizette
Lizette rated it it was ok
Sep 07, 2013
Rebecca
Rebecca rated it really liked it
Feb 21, 2012
Had Venture
Had Venture rated it really liked it
Oct 26, 2012
Em
Em rated it really liked it
Jan 28, 2011
Rachel
Rachel rated it liked it
Mar 27, 2010
Ginger
Aug 01, 2012 Ginger rated it really liked it
Great cookbook with fantastic recipes and tips. Beautiful photos.
Barbara
Barbara rated it liked it
Jul 01, 2009
Lia
Lia rated it it was ok
Feb 15, 2011
Jovita Salinas
Jovita Salinas rated it it was ok
Nov 28, 2011
Laura rated it liked it
Dec 05, 2013
Lara
Lara rated it liked it
Feb 02, 2014
Avis Black
Avis Black rated it it was ok
May 09, 2010
Michelle
Michelle rated it liked it
Apr 28, 2011
jbockman
jbockman rated it really liked it
May 18, 2012
Vivian
Vivian rated it liked it
Jun 10, 2011
Ohia
Ohia rated it it was amazing
Jun 03, 2011
Audrey Clark
Audrey Clark rated it liked it
Jun 30, 2010
Katie
Katie rated it liked it
Jan 19, 2010
Sarah Dwyer
Sarah Dwyer rated it it was amazing
Apr 17, 2015
Kallie Chittenden
Kallie Chittenden rated it it was amazing
Dec 26, 2009
Danielle
Danielle rated it really liked it
Oct 09, 2012
Ginny
Ginny rated it it was amazing
May 07, 2014
Christian
Christian rated it it was amazing
Jan 17, 2010
Girl Underground
Girl Underground rated it really liked it
Jan 06, 2014
Amanda Johnson
Amanda Johnson rated it liked it
Jul 03, 2016