Start by marking “All in the Mind” as Want to Read:
All in the Mind

All in the Mind

Martin Sturrock desperately needs a psychiatrist. The problem? He is one.

Emily is a traumatised burns victim, Arta a Kosovan refugee recovering from a rape. David Temple is a longterm depressive, while the Rt Hon Ralph Hall MP lives in terror of his drink problem being exposed. Very different Londoners, but they share one thing: every week they spend an hour at the Prince
Published April 2nd 2009 by Arrow (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about All in the Mind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about All in the Mind

Helen
May 21, 2012 Helen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Whatever you think of Alastair Campbell (I'm from Wales where most of us are slightly left of centre) this novel is compassionate, engrossing and really beautifully written. One reviewer said that he shouldn't have tackled this subject as he is not an expert. I beg to disagree - someone who has been on the receiving end of a breakdown, alcoholism and severe depression must be more than qualified to write on the subject of mental health.

The book takes place over one weekend with an eminent psychi
Filipe Dias
Sinceramente, não sei bem o que escrever deste livro. Talvez tenha sido a sinopse, que em determinada altura me suscitou curiosidade. Mas de que se trata? Basicamente de um conceituado Psiquiatra, e seus pacientes.
Martin Sturrock é um Psiquiatra de elevado prestígio, que facil e rapidamente chegou a cargos superiores, ganhando uma invejável carreira. Tem vários pacientes, sendo neste livro apresentado o "drama" de 5 deles.
Emily sofre o drama de uma grave queimadura que lhe modificou a vida. Víti
Louise Brown
An enjoyable pacy read, which is pretty remarkable considering it's all about mental illness and psychiatric treatment, written by the bastard son of Jilly Cooper and Ian McEwan.

Covering topics Campbell knows well - politics, alcoholism, mental illness and treatment - serves us well with particularly moving and - as far as I know - accurate passages describing various states of mental distress.

Campbell gives us an an interesting array of very "London" characters (immigrants, sex workers, politi
Martha
May 02, 2011 Martha rated it it was amazing
Stayed in bed to finish reading this book this morning. I ended up shedding a few tears at the end the same as Becky, very touching.

Essentially this is a book about depression and the psyciatric profession. The characters lives and pasts are all very different but are all linked to Dr Martin Sturrock who is the psyciatrist who sees them all each week. Its obvious that Campbell has been to hell & back like the characters in this book from the way he describes it. Only one who has experienced
Jane
Jun 26, 2016 Jane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Moving, intense, and sad, with compelling and complex character arcs, and an inexorable momentum and pacing. Also quite well-written. I will be thinking about this book for some time to come. [The first in what will be a series of novels I plan to read this summer about therapists and therapy.]

Rob Tapper
Interesting spin in psychiatrist territory, plenty of character variety in informing of the depressive mind with story line interesting in sidelines of philosophical departures; humour, wit and sex enough to titilate and keep read moving.
Eleanor Greenwood
If I could give this book 6 stars I would, because it is unbelievably good. It's almost impossible to describe, but it touched me in a way that made me want to read more.
James
Mar 09, 2009 James rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A slightly underwhelming, straightforward read until the closing chapters which, are unexpectedly powerful
Nádia Batista
Mar 15, 2016 Nádia Batista rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Terceiro livro de Alastair Campbell que li e, depois do sucesso dos outros dois, estava com expectativas altas para este. Mais uma vez, o autor revelou-se um excelente contador de histórias, capaz de pegar em temas delicados e trazê-los para as suas páginas com a coragem de quem agarra o touro pelos cornos. Confesso que estava com algum receio de ler o livro, pois pensei que à terceira ia ser de vez, que o terceiro livro não me iria agradar tanto, ou não seria tão bom. Superstições tolas.

Está Tu
Ana Raquel
Jun 21, 2012 Ana Raquel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Estou fã de Alastair Campbell, e agradeço desde já a oportunidade da Bizâncio, ter-me facultado este livro para ler.
Realizado o agradecimento. Vou centrar-me, agora nos aspetos fundamentais deste romance.

Esta é uma história de um Psiquiatra, com um certo reconhecimento na sua área, devido ao seu mérito e profissionalismo.
Sturrock (o Psiquiatra) é assolado por problemas pessoais, que deixou que cristalizassem e que o levam a sentir inapto na resolução dos mesmos. Para além, dos seus problemas pes
Victoria
Aug 11, 2011 Victoria rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wanted to read this book, because I was curious to read a novel by Alistair Campbell. I have to admit that, secretly, I was hoping to be able to criticise and pick holes in it, as it is clearly not fair that someone with such a history of success in the political arena could decide to write a novel, and be good at it.

A couple of chapters in, I realised it was not a book by Alistair Campbell, that wasn't what defines it... it was, in fact, a really compelling and emotionally astute novel, by a
Grace
Jul 18, 2013 Grace rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books-read
I liked this book and probably would have given it 3.5 stars. I didn't realise until I started it that Alastair Campbell was THE Alastair Campbell of the Blair government. That aside, I thought this was a very touching story, one which dealt with sensitive subjects. The main character Martin Sturrock was a man while although treating his patients for their problems also had his own problems which ultimately he found difficult to deal with.

The author wrote him as an intelligent man who without me
Emma
Aug 28, 2012 Emma rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a truly excellent book. It was a bit slow starting but then really drew you in to the lives of the characters. Very dark in places but thoroughly thought provoking. Surprisingly compelling and insightful into a variety of mental health difficulties.

The book follows a day of appointments in the life of a psychiatrist who also offers psychotherapy (a rare breed in itself). His patients are from all walks of life and experience a whole range of problems. Unbeknownst to them, however, he is
Isobel
Aug 02, 2011 Isobel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my Cheltenham purchases after I had listened to him reading from it and discussing it. This did have the disadvantage of me only being able to picture him as the main character!

An amazing journey into the psychotic mind and well researched, believable examples of how 'normal' people can be rendered abnormal by their random life experiences. From reading an earlier review I knew how it ended but that did not stop it from being totally compelling. Having read 'The Blair Years' - purely fact
Sian Taylor
I read this book following a recommendation, having been told 'this is the best book I've ever read'. I wouldn't go that far, certainly isn't as mind-blowing as I'd expected it to be. However it is very well written, and his previous role in Government certainly influences the way he writes. It does make you wonder what personal experiences he's had with depression; himself or someone close to him, as well as wondering an amalgam of which Ministers he bases the Health Minister on. A good read, b ...more
Terry
Aug 27, 2012 Terry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People looking for quick read
Recommended to Terry by: Da Vinci Group
Very readable book, a page turner, with interesting characters who really do come alive and are memorable. However, it's easy to tell that this a first time book. There are some flaws with internal consistency, some areas are unbelievable, and some beliefs and opinions are espoused which may be offensive. Reviews by feminist see this book as wonderful, which is part of it's problem. Hard to ignore author's voice. Due to Campbell's "infamy" you spend a lot of time looking for him everywhere.
Vicky
Dec 10, 2012 Vicky rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Don't read this book if you are prone to depression, it is the most gloomy piece of writing I came across in a long time. It is difficult to accept the story because the main protagonist is so flawed and unpleasant. I don't see how it is possible for him to help his patients and not to change his own life. While his patients go through real dramas and there is a glimmer of hope for them, the psychiatrist brings unhappiness to his own family, tries to justify his behaviour and gives up on life at ...more
May
Apr 14, 2014 May rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
The book did not ring captivating during its first half; my hands have put the book down quite a number of times. Its alternating Point of Views of each character had me confused. Furthermore, its physically impractical size is a source of annoyance to my typical reading habits.
Despite this however, "Mind" picks up its pace during its second half and narrates to its end with poignance and power. A fulfilling read and definitely one that will not be forgotten any time soon.
Marlene
Acho que reflecte muitos dos problemas quotidianos, o facto de os psiquiatras também precisarem de ajuda pelo facto de não suportarem o seu " fardo" mas também o dos seus doentes e isto pode, como no caso descrito, afectar a própria vida, o dia-a-dia, do psiquiatra ou outro profissional de saúde.
Outra coisa que neste livro se pode aperceber é que, como aquele ditado, " quem vê caras não vê corações". E pode não estar tão longe de nós uma realidade como uma das personagens do livro.
Liz Coady
May 18, 2009 Liz Coady rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mature readers on a growth journey.
Recommended to Liz by: Chosen at library
Campbell examines four days over a weekend in the life of Martin, a psychiatrist, and a number of his clients. The writing is sensitive, poignant, knowledgeable, and informative. Martin doubts whether his suggestions to the people who come to him for help are useful. But one message of the book is that we can never tell what effect we have on others; another that self–healing can have great rewards.
Katie
Aug 19, 2013 Katie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A powerful book, kept me hooked at all times. Fascinating not just for the day to day experiences of the patients, but how Dr Sturrock aided these people through the toughest times of their lives. The tactics used and homework set are real world techniques as well. Quite possibly my favourite book.
Andrew James
Mar 02, 2014 Andrew James rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was moved by the ending which was unexpected but particularly well done. The first half of the book is assured but I found the pace a little slow; I was more engaged as I got to know the characters better and the last third of the book is compelling. The characters are well drawn and I cared about their storylines. I will definitely read his next novel which I've heard is equally good.
Bernadette
May 23, 2011 Bernadette rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A difficult topic extremely well handled. An English psychiatrist who suffers from depression struggles to continue to treat his patients as his own disease spirals downward. The author gets inside the hearts and minds of the doctor and his patients in a viseral way. I learned about some of the treatment techniques psychiatrists use.
Laurel
May 05, 2011 Laurel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novel, fiction, book-club
All our book club books seem to involve death. I enjoyed this, certainly sped through it, but in the end found it more sad than enlightening. There are some happy moments, and some very good, "internal" descriptions of depression and other disorders, I think. But in terms of plot, it's actually a pretty minimal book.
Ana Isabel
Nov 12, 2013 Ana Isabel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: r-drama
Another great book!
Martin Sturtock treats people when he needs treatment as well.
This book is very well written and I indentified myself with some of the characters. I should add that some of the tips that Dr. Sturrock gives to her patients are worth to put on practice in real life.
Recommended!
Judith Yeabsley
Apr 09, 2016 Judith Yeabsley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thus was a very different read, following a psychiatrist, his patients and the interdependency between them. I got really involved in the patients lives although I never warmed to the central character. Towards the end I felt a more ruthless editor would have been good! Overall an interesting and well written read. Surprising ending.
Mary
Feb 02, 2013 Mary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Even if you dislike Alastair Campbell, this book is incredibly well written and it's easy to empathize with the characters. It's also clear that Campbell's own depression helped him write good chunks of the book. I was moved.
Carol Lindley
Aug 29, 2013 Carol Lindley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can't even remember how or where this book came from but was curious how a former UK press secretary would fare at writing a book. He passed with flying colours. It's an amazing story with depth in the characters and storyline. It has left me wanting to read more of his work.
Erika
Feb 07, 2011 Erika rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
really good. wouldn't have guessed that the author was the director of communications for tony blair. i'm a sucker for small stories that make a larger one. loved the idea of a psychologist that helps others while he's in dire need of help himself. brilliant.
Hannah
Sep 05, 2013 Hannah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this book was very touching and provided the reader with a good sense of the emotions felt by Sturrock's patients. I did like the story line of the book however, I felt that it was overall quite predictable.
  • Amnesia
  • The Game
  • Grace Williams Says It Loud
  • Out of Her Mind: Women Writing on Madness (Modern Library)
  • Pizza, Pigs, and Poetry: How to Write a Poem
  • Bone China
  • Friendly Fire
  • The Sweet Smell of Psychosis: A Novella
  • Altered Perceptions
  • Devil's Trill (Daniel Jacobus Mystery, #1)
  • Waiting Period