Start by marking “Papa's Problem” as Want to Read:

Papa's Problem

In depression era Key West, Ernest "Papa" Hemingway becomes embroiled in a plot that involves illegal gambling and smuggling refugees when he finds himself the suspect in the murder of a Cuban prostitute. Working with the mysterious former Scotland Yard inspector, Emmet MacWain, they must delve into the dark side of this sunny paradise and find the answers that may help sa ...more
Published September 11th 2008 by Bluewater Press (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Papa's Problem, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Papa's Problem

Steve
This audiobook was provided by the author at no cost in exchange for an unbiased review courtesy of Audiobook Boom.

I know next to nothing about Ernest “Papa” Hemmingway, other than he was a famous writer, and famous for his lifestyle in the Florida Keys. I’ve never read any of his books (not even in high school!), and have never been to the Keys. I do know that Hemmingway was known for his drunken outbursts and fistfights, which leads to the plot of the book.

Papa is found out-cold drunk with a b
Betty
Let me say first that any awards this book wins are well-deserved (currently the winner of the Discovery Opus Magnum Award for best manuscript from the Hollywood Film Festival). I am also going to comment on the cover art of this issue: original artwork by the author Patrick Kendrick, it so fully encompasses the story in a few vibrant strokes.

The story takes place in Key West but is multi-national in scope. It is written in the time of the Depression and the beginning of what would become WWII.
Victoria Allman
Aug 04, 2012 Victoria Allman rated it it was amazing
I haven't been able to put down Papa's Problem all weekend. This story grabbed me from page one and didn't let go. There is more tension and drama on each page than any book I've read in quite awhile.

Patrick Kendrick expertly weaves fact and fiction in this tale set in 1939 Key West. His characters, while known to all as Earnest and Pauline Hemingway, walk the line of staying true to the people they were in real life and melding into Kendrick's story as fully developed fictional characters. This
Linda
Mar 25, 2013 Linda rated it really liked it
Imaginative fiction combining the best elements of the Hemingway mystique and a great murder mystery.
April
Jan 06, 2017 April rated it really liked it

: Patrick Kendrick

I like historical fiction so I found the concept of using a non-fictional person as a main character somewhat intriguing. The author wove a lot of different aspects from history with new concepts, romance, murder mystery, and suspense to keep the listeners on edge.

The narration was well done.The characters were well portrayed. Tim Campbell did great with the different accents and dialects, making the listening more enjoyable.

"I was voluntarily provided this review
Norma
Jan 09, 2017 Norma rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audio, reviewed, thriller, 2017
( Format : Audiobook)
"... in America, land of the free."
""I'm the guy that makes up the stories, remember?""
A novel set in 1939, in Key West, Florida, at the end of the depression era and on the verge of humanity being tipped into World War II, Patrick Kendrick successfully blends fact and fiction to build this truly impressive book. Not knowing what to expect, I had anticipated from the opening chapters that this would be a colourful murder mystery set around the central figure of real life, fa
Yvonne
May 09, 2014 Yvonne rated it it was amazing
An excellent read by a talented crime writer and fellow native Floridian! Patrick Kendrick brings to life the true natural appeal of Key West on the pages of "Papa's Problem". Although I now live more than 3000 miles away from this eccentric little spot placed far out into the "west" side of the Atlantic Ocean, off the coast of south Florida, I could feel myself there again as I read about Hemmingway's daily life on the island.

"Papa's Problem" is a fictional account of murder and events pertaini
Gail Stewart rumsey
Mar 25, 2013 Gail Stewart rumsey rated it really liked it
This book was given to me by a friend who is distantly related to the author. I wasn't sure what to expect and was pleasantly surprised. Papa is Ernest Hemingway though this is a work of fiction. The hero is a retired Scotland Yard inspector and he and Hemingway join forces to prove Hemingway was set up to look guilty of murder. There is a lot of action and the plot is solid. It was an enjoyable read and I did not have a problem with the portrayal of Hemingway as did many other reviewers. I have ...more
Jean
Jan 22, 2017 Jean rated it really liked it

Illegal Activities..

This book is filled with Suspense and Interesting well written characters which made it very very

difficult to put down.

The mystery in the story line kept me guessing until the very end.

I don't want to give anything away, so, I will just say that this book is a Good Read and

addition to anyone who enjoys a Mystery.

Tim Campbell did well with the narration as usual.

Note:
"This audio book was provided by the author, narrator, or publisher at no cost in exchange for an unbiased r
Eleanor
Jun 11, 2015 Eleanor rated it it was amazing
I guess my review didn't get on here. Pat I loved your 1st book. It was so good I couldn't put it down. When I got to the end I couldn't hardly wait till your next one. I know I am getting ahead of myself but your 2nd book, is just as awesome. I have an extra copy of Papas Problem, which I give out to give my family & freinds a taste of your work. I do believe you will be as famous as Stephen King, Patterson, etc. I know you will go far
Rebecca
Jul 16, 2013 Rebecca rated it it was ok
I can't give this one more than a weak 2 stars for so many reasons. The biggest one being I find the whole premise uncomfortable. Use a fictional character to accuse of murder, not a real historical figure!!
Patrick Kendrick
Jun 23, 2015 Patrick Kendrick rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
John Tomaszewski
John Tomaszewski rated it really liked it
Jan 20, 2015
J.M. LeDuc
J.M. LeDuc rated it it was amazing
Jul 22, 2012
Barb
Barb rated it really liked it
Jun 02, 2014
Diana Conner
Diana Conner rated it liked it
Feb 28, 2016
Katy
Katy rated it it was ok
Dec 14, 2014
Neil Plakcy
Neil Plakcy rated it it was amazing
Jul 11, 2014
Yolanda Szymanski
Yolanda Szymanski rated it liked it
Jan 17, 2016
Linda
Linda rated it it was amazing
Nov 10, 2016
Bryanna
Bryanna rated it really liked it
Feb 02, 2013
shirley j. hiney
shirley j. hiney rated it it was amazing
May 22, 2016
Lee Ann Suther
Lee Ann Suther rated it really liked it
Apr 05, 2015
Lori Tyger
Lori Tyger rated it did not like it
May 11, 2016
R.V.
R.V. rated it it was amazing
Nov 28, 2012
Sharon Cundiff
Sharon Cundiff rated it really liked it
Nov 24, 2014
Diane Stuckart
Diane Stuckart rated it it was amazing
May 08, 2016
Hazel E. Nunnenmacher
Hazel E. Nunnenmacher rated it it was amazing
Apr 12, 2015
Karen Bain
Karen Bain rated it it was amazing
Nov 09, 2014
Susan
Susan rated it really liked it
Apr 27, 2009