Maskerade: The Play

Maskerade: The Play (Discworld Stage Adaptations)

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  5,899 ratings  ·  31 reviews
A play based on terry pratchett's novel maskerade.

All is not well in Ankh-Morpork Opera House. A ghost stalks the corridors, leaving strange letters for the management and killing people. Granny Weatherwax and Nanny Ogg, two Lancre witches, investigate. This is an adaptation of Terry Pratchett's Discworld novel, "Maskerade".
Published September 18th 1998 by Samuel French

To ask other readers questions about Maskerade, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Maskerade

E.j. Kay
A hilarious and beautifully observed book, as TP's books always are. My favourites are those that feature Nanny Ogg and Granny Weatherwax, so this one is a real treat!
Brendan
Re-read Maskerade a few weeks before reading this adaptation. I felt it was fairly good. It gets the plot across without having to get into Pratchett's explanations and quippery. I know that isn't a word, but I'm going to keep it in anyway. Good lines, interesting stage directions. I hope to see it on stage. My big wonder is if the humor I read in the lines would translate well to the stage when spoken.
Andrew Russell
This was definitely well written, pretty descriptive and evocative, rather funny and with not too bad a storyline. So, where did it all go wrong?

Well, for my personal tastes, it was simply too daft. To compound this, although I say the book was well written, it is written in the style of a children's fairy tale and more often than not, the humour is in the ridiculous style of writing rather than the story itself. Pratchett never uses one word when he can use fifty - again, particularly if he ca...more
Jrobertus
In this episode on the Disc world, Pratchett gives an affectionate skewering to the world of opera. Local witch Nanny Ogg has written a book revealing some passionate recipes and Granny Weatherwax sees she has been ripped off by the Ankh-Morpork publisher. They go there to straighten matters out and encounter a local witch candidate who is ghosting for a budding diva at the opera house. There is a ghost in the opera house and foul play that needs sorting out and our heroines are up to the task w...more
Megan
I've long thought Terry Pratchett to be one of the best over-all authors I've ever encountered. He's beyond hilarious, and hits on so many of the things that make a book worth reading. There's the story, and then underneath it, The Story. He manages to turn everything you thought you knew about stories on its head, but instead of being lost, you are thoroughly entertained. His take on The Phantom of the Opera is brilliant, highlighting everything that is ridiculous and marvelous in both the orig...more
Will
This is one of my favorite Terry's books. It made me laugh, it made me smile, it made me think and even pity some of the characters. And it do all this things to me so freely that i was charmed. I think that's Terry's magic - he can took you right in the action and you'll believe it's real.
Charmaine Clancy
The Discworld books just get better and better! Who'd have thought a novel focusing on two old broads would be so darn funny! This one delves into the world of opera and dabbles in publishing, Nanny Ogg has released a naughty cookbook - The Joy of Snacks - look out for the banana surprise!
Joy Moonwillow
Being a big musical theater geek, I absolutely adored this one! It is a brilliant parody of Phantom of the Opera in which nothing is what it appears to be. Was that Christine singing that aria? I don't think so!
A.D. Starrling
Ah, Agnes Perdita X Nitt. What a name. What a book. Okay, so it's a parody of Phantom of the Opera, but with Granny Weatherwax in it. As a courtesan no less. Look out for Nanny Ogg in a tutu!
Stella Riley
I saw this performed at the Edinburgh Fringe two or three years ago and it was perfectly dreadful. The script wasn't up to Pratchett's standards - and the performance was dreadful.
Charlotte Babb
The phantom never encountered such a singer as the one who can sing duets with herself. This is lots of fun with Granny Weatherwax and Nanny Ogg at the opera.
Lynn Erasmus
Very funny, as are most of his stories involving Granny Weatherwax, Nanny Ogg and Magrat Garlick. Will definitey read again once my exams are over.
Riikka Jaakkola
My first Pratchett book ever! It took ages for me to finish, got better towards the end. Description of the theatre doorman was hilarious!
A comical spin on the classic story Phantom of the Opera! If you like that story at all, you should read this.
Yolandivdv
Wonderful! I can never get enough of these witches!!!!!
Terry Pratchett you are one awesome author!
Jools
I felt the teen witches took the edge off the story a little, but still a rollicking good read
Marcia
I adore all of Terry Pratchett's books for adults/teens- fun, snarky satire!
C. P.
Impeccable imagination, unique storytelling ability, and a master of writing.
Danninomics
Because its such a dark tale this is my least favorite Discworld book
Doug
Terry's parody of 'Phantom of the Opera' and it's ilk.
Iris
Aug 09, 2012 Iris added it
Another masterpiece which had me laughing out loud.
Alexander Todd
An Hilarious adaptation of the 'Phantom of the Opera' story
Karen Sturt
Any book with the witches in is fine by me!
Kieran
Opera will never be the same again
Vicky Massingham
A great book by a fab author!
Olivia
  • The Wyrdest Link: A Terry Pratchett Discworld Quizbook
  • The Mammoth Book of Comic Fantasy
  • Flying Dutch
  • Legends Volume 2
  • The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy: The Primary Phase (Hitchhiker's Guide: Radio Play, #1)
  • Snuff Fiction
  • Wizards of Odd
  • Monty Python's Big Red Book
Sir Terry Pratchett sold his first story when he was thirteen, which earned him enough money to buy a second-hand typewriter. His first novel, a humorous fantasy entitled The Carpet People, appeared in 1971 from the publisher Colin Smythe. Terry worked for many years as a journalist and press officer, writing in his spare time and publishing a number of novels, including his first Discworld novel,...more
More about Terry Pratchett...
Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch The Color of Magic (Discworld, #1) Mort (Discworld, #4) Guards! Guards! (Discworld, #8) Night Watch (Discworld, #29)