Start by marking “Downtime” as Want to Read:
Downtime

Downtime

4.1  ·  Rating Details ·  1,511 Ratings  ·  297 Reviews
FBI agent Morgan Nash has a hard time believing that a magic spell has swept him into the past, especially considering that in his own time he was facing down a bullet. Now he's facing down a bunch of nineteenth century dabblers, whose ancient spellbook goes missing before they can send Morgan back where he belongs.

Chief among Morgan's new friends, Ezra Glacenbie is more t
ebook, 1st Torquere Press Printing Editon, 332 pages
Published January 2007 by Torquere Press

To ask other readers questions about Downtime, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Downtime

julio
Nov 17, 2012 julio rated it did not like it
Recommended to julio by: ttg
willfully reposted that i may heartily irritate the author, who has accused me of improprieties while defending the right of ann somerville to talk shit about my mama.

tamara: bite me.

OMG I'm in the 1800s. Wait until twitter hears about this—O NOES! Stupid cellphone. Y U NO HAZ SIGNAL???

description

It's grating to spend time with a character so dense he was as likely to blurt out something that could alter the course of human history as he was to reach for 21st century identification to soothe the suspicion
Vio
A Gorgeous, lovely romance and another favourite from Tamara Allen who has a talent for building wonderful atmospheric stories. I could almost smell and feel that I was there with Ezra and Morgan. Jack the Ripper is a big feature and a gripping addition to the story, loved the way Ezra and Morgan teamed up to investigate the murders. The institution where Ezra ends up briefly, is terrifying and spine-chilling in its desperate hopelessness, a horrible place for anyone who has the misfortune of en ...more
Susan
Nov 02, 2012 Susan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-favorites

Well surprise, surprise…”Downtime” is one of my favorite books of the year.

…and for none of the reasons that I love other books.

No steamy sex scenes.
No action.
No angst.
No fast-pace.

Instead, it was a slowly rolled-out, beautifully-written love story about time travel, 1888 London, friendships, transformations, and Jack the Ripper. Not an obvious recipe for a winning read, but Tamara Allen produced just that.

I love Morgan, Derry, Kathleen, and Hannah. I also love creepy George, mystery-Sid, and
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
I just spent the whole day reading this 500 page beauty, and I loved every second of it! This book really had everything for me. It mixes time-travel, historical fiction, a sweet m-m romance, and fully developed plot.

Thank you Tamara Allen for giving this romance a SLOW BURN. There was no rushing, everything was built-up at a wonderfully delicious pace. The chemistry felt real and the 19th century world was described beautifully. I have nothing but praise for this book. My one wish is that it w
Kaje Harper
Jul 28, 2012 Kaje Harper rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m, historical
4.5 stars. Tamara Allen is an auto-buy author for me. She has just the right touch with a historical romance, making the settings and characters feel relatively authentic and yet not alien, giving rich description but not so much it feels overworked or intrusive. In this book Morgan Nash, a modern FBI agent is transported back in time to 1888, where he meets Ezra, who sees ghosts. Morgan is cool, brash, determined and abrasive. Ezra is quiet, sweet, honest and haunted. And gay in a time when tha ...more
Deeze
I’m really not one for historical reads but Tamara Allen has converted me as long as she is the writer. This is my second book by her and it will not be my last. Her writing skill is amazing. She can bring to life the past. OK as you can gather this will be another ramble rather than a detailed review lol.

This wonderful story mixes the present with the past in a way that is totally absorbing.

First we have a beautiful love story between Ezra and Morgan. You wont find any detailed sex scenes or co
Lena♥Ribka

I like Susan's review of this book. And though we disagree in our rating I would like to echo her main points about the book:

*No steamy sex scenes.
*No action.
*No angst.
*No fast-pace.

And add some from me:

*Annoying sub-plot.
*Boring and uninteresting investigations.
*The book is very long. It could have at least 100 pages less without a negative influence on the plot.
*A very sterile romance.
*Morgan Nash. The most uninteresting figure in the book. His figure is...colourless and flat.

But it wa
Heller
Jan 28, 2013 Heller rated it it was amazing
4.75

What a wonderfully romantic read.

I do enjoy a good time travel story and this has a lot of elements that so worked for me. Great MC's who were flawed but charming, a strong historical element with an interesting paranormal spin on time travel and well fleshed out secondary characters with an engaging storyline.

I loved the slow burn here but I admit to being worried about how things were going to turn out. So much so that (view spoiler)
Heather C
Wonderful story!

So the other day, Nikyta sent me a text telling me that I should read this book.  I didn't really take the time to ask why or even what it was about, but immediately jumped in blind. She's known me for years and when she tells me to read something, there's a 99% chance that I'm going to love it...

...and I totally loved this!

While on a case in present day London, FBI Agent Morgan Nash gets accidentally sucked back through time into 1888 by Ezra and two of his housemates, Derry and
ttg
Sep 22, 2012 ttg rated it it was amazing
I loved Tamara Allen’s The Only Gold, and now after Downtime, I want to wander the streets singing songs about her and her ability to write such enveloping stories that are bursting with such realized characters and such a sweeping, heart-filling romance. I want to cry. I want to gush. I want to go back immediately and relive it again and see all the beautiful bits that I missed the first time.

The story itself seems far-fetched--modern day FBI agent Morgan Nash is working a case in London, only
Dee Wy
Apr 18, 2011 Dee Wy rated it it was amazing
If you are considering reading this book after having read a fast-paced action thriller, chill out first. Have a glass of wine and relax. The slow pace at the beginning of this wonderful historical may send you into shock at first as it did me. But the measured pace of events, characters being introduced and relationships established all come in good time, and you will soon feel so invested in these characters and their lives that you won't want to stop reading.

FBI agent Morgan Nash is pulled ba
Mark
This book contained everything that I love; intrigue, mystery and suspense, historical, supernatural and a sweet romance. It's so difficult to write a review on such a intricate and multi-faceted story.

FBI agent Morgan Nash is on secondment in London and is thrown back to 1888. This throws him for a loop first of all, but then finds values and a love that he never experienced in modern times. While there and trying to get back to the present day he meets Ezra, a gentle but troubled soul battling
J.L. Merrow
Feb 23, 2010 J.L. Merrow rated it it was amazing
It's probably nearer a four-star book. But I loved it, and I shall give it as many stars as I like. *nods*
Irina
DNF @45%

Usually I try very hard to finish my books. I know that with some of them, it takes time for a story to unravel and I just don't want to miss a hidden jewel. But when I genuinely lose interest, there's no point in wasting my time.

This book had started off quite well. I was intrigued to see how a modern-day FBI agent will adjust to the life in the 19th century and what kind of trouble will he get into. The idea had a potential, but for some reason, it didn't work for me.

I liked the writi
Emanuela ~plastic duck~
This was a very good book, even if I had a few reservations. Anyway.

You have to read it:

1 - for the beautiful love story. Morgan is basically married to his job. He's not a bad guy, but he has never tried to give himself to another man with all his heart. He's a bit arrogant and set in his ways, but when he goes back in time he meets Ezra, who's really an angel. Ezra is able to make Morgan change his mind and attitude by proximity. The story is in the first-person point-of-view of Morgan, but af
Paul
May 06, 2016 Paul rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm not a huge fan of historical lit, I know I say this all the time and keep reading them but once again I found the blurb about this book to enticing to give it up. It was well worth the read and it's a big book. 500 pages.

I know this was written as a stand alone but every now and then you read a book that has the potential for a great sequel and this is one of those books. I'm usually against sequel as so many written are unwarranted, I'm not talking about series here either. I don't want to
Loederkoningin
Jan 26, 2013 Loederkoningin marked it as started-yet-stalled-for-now  ·  review of another edition
Who am I kidding? I'll put this on hold for now.:p
Katharina
Mar 14, 2013 Katharina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, history
So... I'm not totally sure how to rate this book.

On the one hand, Tamara Allen is a wonderful writer, and always creates these perfect, atmospheric (I've stolen this fitting description from Vio's review ;D) stories that make history come alive. There is depth and complexity to the main and side characters alike, believable character development over the course of the story, the description of the settings are precise and pictorial, and the flair of the time is nicely captured.

On the other hand
Serena Yates
Feb 23, 2010 Serena Yates rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gay, time-travel
I really liked this book. An interesting twist on time travel which gave it a touch of fantasy, mixing with a sort-of-mystery and some great characters, not to mention a heartbreakingly beautiful love story, made this a very fun read for me.

Following Morgan Nash back into the Victorian era and watching him react to his new environment was more fun for me than his attempts at solving one of the most famous crimes in history. But then, I am not really a mystery fan, so that is to be expected. I wa
Vivian ♪(┌・。・)┌
Huh I feel like there's a lot to say with this book, but I've been feeling particularly ineloquent so I'll keep it short and sweet.

The first half of the book was rather tedious. It was slow, a bit boring, and the characters weren't likable enough to keep my motivation going steadily. However, it did perk up later in the book, especially once Morgan stopped being such a disbeliever, and we got to know Ezra more. I grew to really like the characters, and their romance was incredibly sweet.

I think
Fangtasia
Apr 10, 2013 Fangtasia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am not a fan of historical romance. Not a fan of time travel stories, either. Furthermore, my thoughts on the explicitness of sex scenes in the M/M Romance I read are: the more, the better, thank you very much. This story had NO explicit sex scenes, was set in the late 1800's, and one of the MCs was from present day. Yet I loved it.

Why? Because the characters made me fall in love with them, pulled me in and made me care. All of them, not just the main ones, or the good ones. I felt for Sid, fo
Trisha Harrington
Aug 04, 2012 Trisha Harrington rated it it was amazing
Shelves: historical, loved
This book was quite emotional for me, I found myself unsure of where the most emotion came from. The ending would be my guess, it was my first time reading a historical mm romance and it will not be my last. Ezra and Morgan were a nice couple and they made the story what it was. The story was a bit complicated in places but I never got lost when reading it. I hope to read more like this soon :)
Rosie
Jul 30, 2009 Rosie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m
This was just the sweetest, most beautifully written love story. I ADORED the characters and definitely want to keep this one.
Icedave
Rating:
4.67 stars.

Genre:
Sweet, slow paced historical timetravel m-m-romance novel with paranormal (Ezra’s ability) and a murder-mystery side plot (Jack the Ripper).

Infos
main characters:
Ezra Glacenbie, son of Sir William and working at the British Museum in London, is a medium who can see and talk with ghosts since his childhood. He is characterized by his caring and conscientious personality.

Morgan Nash, FBI agent, is accidently conjured into the year 1888 by Ezra. He is a hardheaded and cocksu
Anyta Sunday
Oct 04, 2014 Anyta Sunday rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.75

Really loved this one. Adventure, mystery, romance, great banter, wonderful MCs, sexual tension galore, nice tension right up to the end.

How on earth did I never read Tamara Allen before two weeks ago?

Why not 5 full stars (view spoiler)
Yvonne
Apr 30, 2011 Yvonne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
***Re read in November 2012. Really liked it the second time around. Upgraded rating to 4.5 stars***

Once this book gets going, it's a lot of fun to read. FBI agent Morgan Nash is working on a case in 21st London and he 's none too happy due to the dreary weather, the MI-6 agent he's forced to work with & the fact that his New York boyfriend Reese has just decided to dump him. There's an amusing scene where Morgan is chasing down the bad guys while at the same time he's getting reamed out on
Simon
Jan 24, 2013 Simon rated it it was amazing
First thing....I don't understand the title of this novel and how it relates to the story. Does it refer to back-in-time, two separate words "down time"?
Regardless, although I don't understand the title (perhaps I'm just being dense) the story and writing were excellent. A novel of decent length, very well observed. The language of Victorian England and the language of current day America. Other reviewers have critisised the subplot, the Jack-the-Ripper investigation. I actually enjoyed it. Morg
Dreamer
Touching, adorable m/m time travel story set in Victorian London. The sex is not explicit but still sends shivers down the spine..

"But I remain'd, whose hopes were dim,
Whose life, whose thoughts were little worth,
To wander on a darken'd earth,
Where all things round me breathed of him."

- from Tennyson's 'In Memoriam'
Stephanie
Jul 05, 2012 Stephanie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mm, mm-historical
4.5 stars. As I usual I enjoyed Tamara Allen's writing. I love the story and the characters.
Jenre
Feb 09, 2010 Jenre rated it it was amazing
I have to confess that time-travel novels are a bit of a guilty pleasure for me. I know that they have a reputation for being a bit unrealistic, but I still have a fascination with characters who are somehow able to travel back in time. Perhaps because that's something I would love to be able to do. When the opportunity came up to read Downtime, I grabbed it. M/m time-travel books are very rare - and a much under-represented sub-genre of m/m in my opinion - and so I was looking forward to immers ...more
  • Well Traveled (Gideon and Jedediah, #1)
  • Snowball in Hell (Doyle and Spain, #1)
  • Widdershins (Whyborne & Griffin, #1)
  • Brothers of the Wild North Sea
  • Think of England (Think of England, #1)
  • GhosTV (PsyCop #6)
  • Kindred Hearts
  • The Gentleman and the Rogue
  • Trick of Time
  • Lessons in Love (Cambridge Fellows, #1)
  • The Desire for Dearborne
This author has been published under the pen name James Allen.
More about Tamara Allen...

“We all have so many faces. So many of which must be kept concealed.” 7 likes
“Yawning, I stumbled off the trolley after him and tried to get
out of the way of people rushing aboard. Apparently manners weren' t a thing of the past.
They' d never existed at all.”
7 likes