The Year That Follows

The Year That Follows

3.33 of 5 stars 3.33  ·  rating details  ·  445 ratings  ·  84 reviews
The story of a woman’s search for her brother’s lost son, orphaned in the wake of his sudden death, drives Scott Lasser’s riveting new novel—a work of stunning economy and momentum about a woman’s quest and a family’s longing for wholeness and completion.

Cat is a single mother living in Detroit when her brother is killed in New York, and she sets off in search of his child...more
Published June 9th 2009 by Knopf

To ask other readers questions about The Year That Follows, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Year That Follows

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer102 Minutes by Jim DwyerFirehouse by David HalberstamJust a Drop of Water by Kerry O'Malley CerraFalling Man by Don DeLillo
9/11 Related
54th out of 113 books — 133 voters
A Midsummer Night's Dream by William ShakespeareOne Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich by Aleksandr SolzhenitsynA Night to Remember by Walter LordTwelfth Night by William ShakespeareThe Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro
Time Passages
100th out of 401 books — 41 voters

More lists with this book...

CC
This book has one of the most lovely covers I've seen in years. It's a spare novel, and one I was surprised to find written by a man when I bothered to notice halfway through. Cat Miller, unlucky in love and seemingly going through the motions of life, finds new hope after her brother, Kyle, is killed in the 9/11 attacks. Knowing her brother had a love child by a woman she only knows as "Siobhan," she searches for and finds the child, whose mother has also been killed. The book's theme of secret...more
Audrey Tolle
On September 10, 2001, Wall Street broker Kyle tells his sister Cat that he believes he has an infant son from a relationship with another broker. The next day, both he and the child’s mother die in the 9-11 attacks. Cat, a single mother living in Detroit, makes it her mission to find the child against seemingly long odds. Meanwhile, her eighty-year-old father is wrestling with his own set of challenges on the West Coast, from blocked arteries to a secret he has kept from his only surviving chil...more
Myhoa
I enjoyed the human connections in this book. A book of loss, of secrets kept, of love that overcomes human error, twists of fate and character flaws. I truly believe every family is dysfunctional in its own ways. That is what makes them unique, funny and most of all cherished. This book reminded me that despite the downfalls of fathers and mothers, siblings and friends, love bonds us. When we want to be bonded and when we don't. A quick uplifting read that I couldn't put down.
Amber
So, there was nothing wrong with this book, fairly well written...but, just kind of boring in general. I didn't find myself particularly into the characters or the story line. It got great reviews from other readers and authors, but I personally found it to be okay!
Amy Bourret
A classic family struggle set in the context of post-9/11 ruins. Lasser is a fantastic writer - read anything he writes!
Jackie Paul
Couldn't wait to finish this book so I could start something new!
Carol Bayley
It's a good one! Congratualtions Scott.
John Henry
I liked this book. It's solid. Characters were well done. I felt the plot fell into a couple holes (plotholes! haha!) because I didn't believe it would be so difficult to find a professional worker via the internet or otherwise, and I knew instantly something that was trying to remain hidden (too obvious). My vagueness is because I am avoiding spoilers. Still, it was enjoyable and touching read and hence three sterling stars.
Kate
"The Year That Follows" joins the growing proliferation of fiction novels that use September 11 as a backdrop to their plot. This book was enjoyable -- a nice, light read, despite the serious time in which it takes place. To qualify it as more than chick lit would be difficult, though.

In this novel, Cat is a single mom finds herself losing family members -- her mom while she is a young girl, her brother on September 11th and now her father is nearing the end of his life. Cat finds out her broth...more
Ashley
To be fair, I listened to the unabridged on CD version while on a long car ride. It was excellent. I was in tears half the trip. This book will make you think about all the people who's families had to try to move forward after 9/11. It will make you think about the souls who were "in the wrong place at the wrong time" that day. It will make you think about life, and how we never know how or where it will end and to make the most of what you have. It will make you think about what you truly feel...more
Being a single mom and feeling stuck in her life, a life that wasn't what she had dreamed of, Cat decides to visit her brother in NYC after realizing, when all they have is ea. other, life/work has gotten in the way and she hardly knows him at all.
In NYC, Kyle (her brother) confides he believes he has fathered a son and intends to notify the girl and be a Dad to the baby boy. The next day is 9/11, and Kyle is in the wrong place at the wrong time. He was never seen or heard fr. again.
In the year...more
Karen
Mostly told through the perspectives of Cat and Sam (Cat's father). The book spans from the events of 9/11 to the couple of years that follow. Kyle (Cat's brother) is one of the victims of 9/11. Just prior to that day, he confesses to Cat that he thinks that he has a son.

This story is a journey to find 'family' and the meaning of 'family.' Cat's life is actually coming together through the end of this story and Sam's life is coming to a conclusion, seems to be a somewhat satisfying life at that....more
Brad
This story is about a woman named Cat and the hardships she most go to reunite their family again. pretty good story keeps you guessing to what is going to happen next.
Pam

Ugh, I should have put this on my Did not finish shelf after listening for an hour but sometimes I am a glutton for punishment. The female narrator was as annoying as possible. Another name to add to my do not listen to list. This book was doomed from the start. I was enticed by the cover a few years ago and finally checked out the CD book for something different. I The premises for the story was very intriguing. It was based on the aftermath of 9-11 the death of a man who was a son, a brother...more
Mgipple
I very much enjoyed this book. It takes a unique look at how 9/11 effected people's lives, and the characters are all very interesting. The story and multiple plots all coming together also keep the reader interested. The thing I found most interesting was how the author was able to weave so much story and so much feeling into a relatively short book. The only reason I don't give a 5 stars is that sometimes Lasser comes across as trying a little too hard to be deep and thoughtful, but on the who...more
Stephanie Dahlberg
This will always be one of my favorite books of all time.

The depth of feeling and spot-on emotional reactions of the players smacked down my prejudice against male authors, for sure. I found myself identifying with the characters, enjoying the clear, straight forward writing and being entertained and educated by the story line.

I don't ask for anything more in a book. I am going to run to the library right now and check out another Lassitor book!
Peggy
This is a story of a women whose brother tells her that he thinks he is a father and tells the mother's first name and where she works. Shortly after this is the World Trade Center attack. The brother is killed in the attack but his body is never found. The sister goes on a search to find the possible child. She is a single mother of a small boy, and meets up with a long lost love and he is a single father with a small boy.

A quick story. A good read.
Margaret
Good book, but I still enjoyed "Say Nice Things About Detroit" better. I like Scott Lasser's writing style, his characters are genuine and the story is interesting.
Erin Martin
Sep 30, 2010 Erin Martin rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fiction lovers
Recommended to Erin by: People magazine
Carolyn
A fair read - maybe good beach reading. Some of this doesn't work as reality, but in many ways, it's more fantasy, a tale really. I liked the portraits of parent and child very much, across generations and eras. I also liked reading this after The Emporer's Children, which ends (basically) with 9/11, and then this begins with it. Lasser and Messud are in different categories, but this spoke to me about the surreal nature of that time.
Lasporer
[close:] The storyline was tense. The life issues of the characters were credible. With minimal verbage the author took us past the surface of Cat's life and her father's. I felt compelled to find out how the situation would play out. Part of the story took place in a suburb of Detroit which was an appealing feature.
Soon after I finished the book I went to the library to request 'Battle Creek,' by the same author
Shannon Fraizer
I rate this four stars mainly because, at times, it is hard to follow with all of the jumping around from not only different characters, but also different time periods. This is a story of defining family, telling or not telling secrets and loss and healing. I like that this story chose to not have everything wrap up in a neat little bow and yet happily ever after is still possible. Worth the read.
If I had rated this book right after finishing, I would have given it 4 stars - after sleeping on it and thinking about it more - its 3. I thought the prologue was one of the strongest points of the book and helped to set the tone for the rest of the novel. However - some of the characters and plot development seemed underdeveloped and too reliant on 'twists' that any reader could see a mile away.
Theresa
This book brought me to tears several times. First, I still can't even just think about all the people who died and all the people who lost family or friends in the 9/11 terrorists attacks without crying, and second adoption stories always hit fairly close to home for me. This book covered all those bases and left me thinking about what "family" really means. A profoundly readable book.
daysgoby
This was a fabulous book. Covering two generations of a family torn apart by horror, this was realistic without being gritty and fun to read. A great bit of the plot hinges on the 9/11 attacks, but the horror and complications stay in the background as much as possible, while still permeating through the characters' thoughts and actions.
I can't wait to read more by this author.
Anastasiya
I liked the concept of this book as I thought it was going to be - family members of people killed in 9/11 in the year that follows, dealing with losses in their own ways tying up loose ends, trying to find more information, playing detective around the dead ones' lives. That would have made a far more interesting book. Instead it turned into fluff almost immediately.
Renee
This story is about a woman's search for her brother's lost son, orphaned in the wake of his sudden death on 9/11.The author captures the randomness and spontaneity of death in a believable and shocking manner. The Year than Follows is mainly about a cast of flawed good people struggling to find meaning from the tragic loss of 9/11 as they move toward their altered future.
Sara
This book is set against 9/11, but really is about what it means to be family. The story is about Cat, whose brother dies in the World Trade Center, and may have left behind a son. She tries to find him. It's also told from the point of view of Sam, his father, who is struggling with his own relationships. It was a really good book about family.
Peg
Summer Read of families and familial relationships. What makes a family? What secrets families keep? Quiet story about the year after 9/11 when a sister of one of the victims searches for her brother's potential love child. This borders on more of a romance novel than I would have liked; however, the ending was quite ironic.
Maesha
The plot was well thought out and definitely life-relating, anyone who has been affected or knows someone who has been affected by the 9/11 terror attacks would be drawn to its plot but it was poorly written. I found myself jumping around, getting an image of one thing in one chapter only to be lost in the next.
  • Bill Warrington's Last Chance
  • The Half Life of Stars
  • Brooklyn Story
  • The Promised World
  • A Disobedient Girl
Scott Lasser is the author of four novels: Battle Creek, All I Could Get, The Year That Follows, and Say Nice Things About Detroit. His non-fiction has appeared in magazines ranging from Dealmaker (for which he wrote a regular book column) to the New Yorker. He splits his time between Los Angeles and Colorado.
More about Scott Lasser...
Say Nice Things About Detroit Battle Creek All I Could Get: A Novel Damascus Gate