Start by marking “The Year That Follows” as Want to Read:
The Year That Follows

The Year That Follows

The story of a woman’s search for her brother’s lost son, orphaned in the wake of his sudden death, drives Scott Lasser’s riveting new novel—a work of stunning economy and momentum about a woman’s quest and a family’s longing for wholeness and completion.

Cat is a single mother living in Detroit when her brother is killed in New York, and she sets off in search of his child
Published June 9th 2009 by Knopf

To ask other readers questions about The Year That Follows, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Year That Follows

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer102 Minutes by Jim DwyerJust a Drop of Water by Kerry O'Malley CerraFirehouse by David HalberstamFalling Man by Don DeLillo
9/11 Related
129 books — 162 voters
One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich by Aleksandr SolzhenitsynA Midsummer Night's Dream by William ShakespeareTwelfth Night by William ShakespeareA Night to Remember by Walter LordThe Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro
Time Passages
507 books — 47 voters

More lists with this book...

CC
Mar 19, 2010 CC rated it it was ok
This book has one of the most lovely covers I've seen in years. It's a spare novel, and one I was surprised to find written by a man when I bothered to notice halfway through. Cat Miller, unlucky in love and seemingly going through the motions of life, finds new hope after her brother, Kyle, is killed in the 9/11 attacks. Knowing her brother had a love child by a woman she only knows as "Siobhan," she searches for and finds the child, whose mother has also been killed. The book's theme of secret ...more
Audrey
Jun 12, 2009 Audrey rated it it was amazing
On September 10, 2001, Wall Street broker Kyle tells his sister Cat that he believes he has an infant son from a relationship with another broker. The next day, both he and the child’s mother die in the 9-11 attacks. Cat, a single mother living in Detroit, makes it her mission to find the child against seemingly long odds. Meanwhile, her eighty-year-old father is wrestling with his own set of challenges on the West Coast, from blocked arteries to a secret he has kept from his only surviving chil ...more
Myhoa
Sep 14, 2010 Myhoa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the human connections in this book. A book of loss, of secrets kept, of love that overcomes human error, twists of fate and character flaws. I truly believe every family is dysfunctional in its own ways. That is what makes them unique, funny and most of all cherished. This book reminded me that despite the downfalls of fathers and mothers, siblings and friends, love bonds us. When we want to be bonded and when we don't. A quick uplifting read that I couldn't put down.
Amber
Sep 21, 2009 Amber rated it it was ok
So, there was nothing wrong with this book, fairly well written...but, just kind of boring in general. I didn't find myself particularly into the characters or the story line. It got great reviews from other readers and authors, but I personally found it to be okay!
Carol Bayley
Jul 11, 2009 Carol Bayley rated it it was amazing
It's a good one! Congratualtions Scott.
Jackie Paul
Couldn't wait to finish this book so I could start something new!
Amy Bourret
Jul 23, 2009 Amy Bourret rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A classic family struggle set in the context of post-9/11 ruins. Lasser is a fantastic writer - read anything he writes!
Sandi
Mar 24, 2017 Sandi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
tears
Katiuscia
La mia recensione completa la trovate qua

L'11 settembre, quel famoso 11 settembre, Kyle era al posto sbagliato nel momento sbagliato: si trovava in una delle Twin Tower, per una riunione organizzata all'ultimo momento. Nell'altra torre, a poca distanza da lui, c'era anche Siobhan, la ragazza che l'aveva lasciato poco tempo prima, la ragazza che da poco aveva avuto un bambino.
Sarà compito di Cat, sorella di Kyle, ritrovare quel bambino, sapere in che mani c
Lexy
This is the second book I have read from this author and I think he definitely knows how to knit a story together. The premise of the book appears to be secrets. It kind of reminds me of must families, we have our little secrets that we don't share with other family members or bring up in conversations. However, I guess this family has more important secrets than most families. A father thinks he has kept secret from his daughter that she is not really his biological daughter but comes to find o ...more
Kate
May 11, 2010 Kate rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
"The Year That Follows" joins the growing proliferation of fiction novels that use September 11 as a backdrop to their plot. This book was enjoyable -- a nice, light read, despite the serious time in which it takes place. To qualify it as more than chick lit would be difficult, though.

In this novel, Cat is a single mom finds herself losing family members -- her mom while she is a young girl, her brother on September 11th and now her father is nearing the end of his life. Cat finds out her broth
Karen
Jul 15, 2009 Karen rated it liked it
Mostly told through the perspectives of Cat and Sam (Cat's father). The book spans from the events of 9/11 to the couple of years that follow. Kyle (Cat's brother) is one of the victims of 9/11. Just prior to that day, he confesses to Cat that he thinks that he has a son.

This story is a journey to find 'family' and the meaning of 'family.' Cat's life is actually coming together through the end of this story and Sam's life is coming to a conclusion, seems to be a somewhat satisfying life at that.
Aug 31, 2009 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Being a single mom and feeling stuck in her life, a life that wasn't what she had dreamed of, Cat decides to visit her brother in NYC after realizing, when all they have is ea. other, life/work has gotten in the way and she hardly knows him at all.
In NYC, Kyle (her brother) confides he believes he has fathered a son and intends to notify the girl and be a Dad to the baby boy. The next day is 9/11, and Kyle is in the wrong place at the wrong time. He was never seen or heard fr. again.
In the year
Ashley
Jun 10, 2012 Ashley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
To be fair, I listened to the unabridged on CD version while on a long car ride. It was excellent. I was in tears half the trip. This book will make you think about all the people who's families had to try to move forward after 9/11. It will make you think about the souls who were "in the wrong place at the wrong time" that day. It will make you think about life, and how we never know how or where it will end and to make the most of what you have. It will make you think about what you truly feel ...more
Pam
Sep 11, 2012 Pam rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: painful, audio

Ugh, I should have put this on my Did not finish shelf after listening for an hour but sometimes I am a glutton for punishment. The female narrator was as annoying as possible. Another name to add to my do not listen to list. This book was doomed from the start. I was enticed by the cover a few years ago and finally checked out the CD book for something different. I The premises for the story was very intriguing. It was based on the aftermath of 9-11 the death of a man who was a son, a brother
Kathleen Payne
Feb 09, 2016 Kathleen Payne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Set during 'the year that follows' 9/11, the novel tells the story of a family struggling to accept the death of Kyle---son, brother---who dies in the 9/11 terrorist attacks. Kyle's father, Sam, determines to properly mourn his son and insists the family observe the anniversary of Kyle's death according to Jewish tradition. He admits this is looking back---but what more can a father nearing the end of his own life do? Kyle's sister, Cat, on the other hand, has committed to looking forward: she ...more
Mgipple
Jul 13, 2009 Mgipple rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I very much enjoyed this book. It takes a unique look at how 9/11 effected people's lives, and the characters are all very interesting. The story and multiple plots all coming together also keep the reader interested. The thing I found most interesting was how the author was able to weave so much story and so much feeling into a relatively short book. The only reason I don't give a 5 stars is that sometimes Lasser comes across as trying a little too hard to be deep and thoughtful, but on the who ...more
Carolyn
A fair read - maybe good beach reading. Some of this doesn't work as reality, but in many ways, it's more fantasy, a tale really. I liked the portraits of parent and child very much, across generations and eras. I also liked reading this after The Emporer's Children, which ends (basically) with 9/11, and then this begins with it. Lasser and Messud are in different categories, but this spoke to me about the surreal nature of that time.
Stephanie Dahlberg
This will always be one of my favorite books of all time.

The depth of feeling and spot-on emotional reactions of the players smacked down my prejudice against male authors, for sure. I found myself identifying with the characters, enjoying the clear, straight forward writing and being entertained and educated by the story line.

I don't ask for anything more in a book. I am going to run to the library right now and check out another Lassitor book!
John Henry
I liked this book. It's solid. Characters were well done. I felt the plot fell into a couple holes (plotholes! haha!) because I didn't believe it would be so difficult to find a professional worker via the internet or otherwise, and I knew instantly something that was trying to remain hidden (too obvious). My vagueness is because I am avoiding spoilers. Still, it was enjoyable and touching read and hence three sterling stars.
Erin Martin
Sep 30, 2010 Erin Martin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fiction lovers
Recommended to Erin by: People magazine
Peggy
Dec 02, 2009 Peggy rated it liked it
This is a story of a women whose brother tells her that he thinks he is a father and tells the mother's first name and where she works. Shortly after this is the World Trade Center attack. The brother is killed in the attack but his body is never found. The sister goes on a search to find the possible child. She is a single mother of a small boy, and meets up with a long lost love and he is a single father with a small boy.

A quick story. A good read.
Apr 17, 2012 Sarah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
If I had rated this book right after finishing, I would have given it 4 stars - after sleeping on it and thinking about it more - its 3. I thought the prologue was one of the strongest points of the book and helped to set the tone for the rest of the novel. However - some of the characters and plot development seemed underdeveloped and too reliant on 'twists' that any reader could see a mile away.
Shannon Benson
Jun 23, 2013 Shannon Benson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I rate this four stars mainly because, at times, it is hard to follow with all of the jumping around from not only different characters, but also different time periods. This is a story of defining family, telling or not telling secrets and loss and healing. I like that this story chose to not have everything wrap up in a neat little bow and yet happily ever after is still possible. Worth the read.
Lasporer
[close:] The storyline was tense. The life issues of the characters were credible. With minimal verbage the author took us past the surface of Cat's life and her father's. I felt compelled to find out how the situation would play out. Part of the story took place in a suburb of Detroit which was an appealing feature.
Soon after I finished the book I went to the library to request 'Battle Creek,' by the same author
Jess Van Dyne-Evans
This was a fabulous book. Covering two generations of a family torn apart by horror, this was realistic without being gritty and fun to read. A great bit of the plot hinges on the 9/11 attacks, but the horror and complications stay in the background as much as possible, while still permeating through the characters' thoughts and actions.
I can't wait to read more by this author.
Nancy Ross
Mar 30, 2015 Nancy Ross rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one grew on me too (like Stoner). I thought it would be unbearably depressing, being about the aftermath of 9/11 (hence the title), but it wasn't. Very sympathetic depictions of flawed family relationships, secrets, missed connections--and a not-too-pat resolution. But I found the audio production, with one male and one female reader, jarring. Should have read it in print.
Sara
This book is set against 9/11, but really is about what it means to be family. The story is about Cat, whose brother dies in the World Trade Center, and may have left behind a son. She tries to find him. It's also told from the point of view of Sam, his father, who is struggling with his own relationships. It was a really good book about family.
Maesha
Nov 15, 2011 Maesha rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The plot was well thought out and definitely life-relating, anyone who has been affected or knows someone who has been affected by the 9/11 terror attacks would be drawn to its plot but it was poorly written. I found myself jumping around, getting an image of one thing in one chapter only to be lost in the next.
Peg
May 16, 2009 Peg rated it liked it
Summer Read of families and familial relationships. What makes a family? What secrets families keep? Quiet story about the year after 9/11 when a sister of one of the victims searches for her brother's potential love child. This borders on more of a romance novel than I would have liked; however, the ending was quite ironic.
  • Forgiving Ararat
  • The Model Wife
  • Commuters
  • Bill Warrington's Last Chance
  • Our Little Secret
  • Snapped
  • Amigoland
  • The Big Shuffle (Hallie Palmer, #3)
  • Chuck Klosterman on Rock
  • Perfect Reader
  • Delta Girls
  • Seeing Stars
  • Brooklyn Story
Scott Lasser is the author of four novels: Battle Creek, All I Could Get, The Year That Follows, and Say Nice Things About Detroit. His non-fiction has appeared in magazines ranging from Dealmaker (for which he wrote a regular book column) to the New Yorker. He splits his time between Los Angeles and Colorado.
More about Scott Lasser...