Start by marking “The Goon, Volume 7: A Place of Heartache and Grief” as Want to Read:
The Goon, Volume 7: A Place of Heartache and Grief

The Goon, Volume 7: A Place of Heartache and Grief (The Goon TPB #7)

An ancient curse spreads hatred, fear, and violence, drawing the most powerful and vile creatures to a town with only one hope for protection - the Goon. And, even the Goon's lifelong deadly foe, the zombie priest, is running scared. But he has to remain, forced into submission by a power greater than his own, to keep an eye on Goon and his violent sidekick, Franky. ...more
Published June 2nd 2009 by Dark Horse Books (first published May 19th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Goon, Volume 7, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Goon, Volume 7

Ari Eris
Feb 27, 2014 Ari Eris rated it really liked it
Things start to get heavy in this volume of The Goon, but the humor is also back - and we badly need it after the sad story of what went down in Chinatown in the previous book. Old faces return, we lose a few friends and the Goon makes some new enemies - things are going to get heavy in subsequent volumes! Yet it still manages to stay disrespectful and uncouth, what with fish guts and a giant zombie transvestite. By the way, thank you Eric Powell for the To Kill a Mockingbird reference, it made ...more
Andy
Nov 08, 2010 Andy rated it it was amazing
Like a carnival side show in a Hell's Kitchen neighborhood, like a Tom Waits "Swordfishtrombones" comic book. Eric Powell's best compilation featuring rampaging transvestites, killer strippers and the return of Mister Wicker. And don't eat cocoanut cakes made by eyeless zombies or you'll pay for it in the morning.
Aim2me
Nov 04, 2016 Aim2me rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics-fiction
The priest is screwed by his own side, magical beings with great power that cause a stir on Lonely Street. They also move in on Goon and his friends. The Goon will not let that stand.

The prologue was among the most hilarious things I've ever read. I'm not being a dinglepiper about it, either.
Joseph Azzurro
May 18, 2013 Joseph Azzurro rated it it was amazing
Parlare di Eric Powell non è facile, perché non è un fumettista facile da descrivere. Si potrebbe dire che sia demenziale, ma sarebbe troppo riduttivo: è un vero maestro. Riesce a destreggiarsi tra svariati temi (demenziale, horror, pulp, drammatico) con una facilità impressionante, con stacchi netti e decisi ma mai troppo bruschi. Se in una pagina a momenti scendono le lacrime per il passato turbolento di Goon, in quella dopo ci ritroveremo a ridere come dei ritardati alle battute a sfondo ...more
Sam Quixote
Sep 19, 2011 Sam Quixote rated it really liked it
This is the first time I've read "The Goon" except for a couple of short stories in collections and the stories were a good indication of what to expect from a full length graphic novel. The Goon is a sort of Marv/Hellboy character whom Batman used to beat up in early comics (usually down the harbour in a warehouse with lots of crates) and his sidekick is a short, mouthy character called Franky (think Slaine's Ukko crossed with Danny DeVito) and their adventures in a strange town where zombies ...more
James
Jul 17, 2009 James rated it it was amazing
In the Goon Vol. 7: A Place of Heartache and grief Eric Powell has the Goon moving in a new direction. Since the bar the Goon loved was burned down, he raises money to rebuild it by having people gamble on fights between one of the changeling baby from last volume and a club footed ape with broken bottles tied to his hands. Powell then has the Goon fight a giant Transvestite and start hallucinating when he sees old dead enemies. The status quo is changed with a new villain and tweaks to past ...more
Orrin Grey
Dec 19, 2009 Orrin Grey rated it liked it
I enjoyed this one more than Volume 8, though that may just be because this one was more of the Eric Powell Goon than backup stories and filler. That said, the current run of the Goon, while fine, still isn't really grabbing me too tightly. I'll look forward to seeing if Volume 9 turns that around or not.
Gabriel Wallis
May 03, 2014 Gabriel Wallis rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
"The Goon: A Place of Heartache and Grief" (volume 7) was an awesome graphic novel. I have to say that Eric Powell, creator of The Goon series, does an excellent job telling a story and illustrating it. One of the characters dies in this graphic novel, characters from past stories reemerge, and new characters are introduced. The story picks up after volume 5, since volume 6 was a short hiatus from the ongoing storyline. Overall, it was a great read. Looking forward to reading the next in the ...more
Jarlos
Aug 07, 2011 Jarlos added it
enriching backstories. engrossing story that takes beloved characters in bold new directions. no longer just funny side characters, this is now a full and rich cast of heroes and villains. still retains some of the old humor in just the right places, but with the death of a beloved character and the return of some classic villains, this feels like a fully formed masterpiece that is leading to something great.
Vleegoodfellow
Jul 21, 2012 Vleegoodfellow rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Another great read! Great art as usual. It just falls a bit short from the creative highs of past books, with Goon and Franky mashing their way around town, trying to latch on/jump start a new story arc here. This, as the start of that arc, looks promising however. The Oprah commentary at the end is enjoyable, but feels like more a tacked on afterthought. Now get reading, and cry and laugh your guts out!
Erika
Dec 30, 2015 Erika rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
"There's your problem. You think happiness can be found in a giant round butt." "I want you to think about what you just said! THINK ABOUT IT!! If I can't find happiness in a lady's perfectly sculpted posterior....well, I just don't see the point of going on!" "Hmm, maybe in yer own simpl-minded roundabout pervish way you got a point."

Life lessons with Goon and Franky for the win.
Mike
Nov 09, 2010 Mike rated it it was amazing
Shelves: creator-owned
Great story - hilarious interplay between Goon and Frankie, and a fun way to end the book this time around. I'm enjoying Powell's mastery of his universe more and more - the perfect way all these disparate elements just gel is impressive and makes me want to apply for citizenship in this weird, scary burg.
Christian
I'm running out of things to say about The Goon, 'cause every volume is a gorgeous mix of hard-boiled pulp and gross humor. Nobody draws like Eric Powell - people loom, monsters ooze, and there's a wicked character beneath everything.
Ryan Haupt
Feb 07, 2010 Ryan Haupt rated it really liked it
Was worried it may have lost the funny but then it had me laughing out loud and reading passages aloud to friends.

At the end he even makes fun of Oprah, which is nice in a story with some much nonsensical action to find out the creator eschews such silliness when applied to the real world.
Harry Connolly
Sep 04, 2010 Harry Connolly rated it it was amazing
My God, but The Goon has been a fantastic series. The dated bit of social satire at the end of this volume squelches the fun a little bit, but the incredibly dark humor (very, very dark and very raw), the characterizations, the incredible artwork... These are fantastic books.
Kalysto
Sep 18, 2012 Kalysto marked it as comics
Du renouveau dans ce tome, ça en deviendrait presque sérieux et nous laisse avec beaucoup de questionnement en fin de volume. Un petit passage de Valentin pêchu, mais pas au mieux de sa forme.
Mathew Carruthers
Jul 24, 2015 Mathew Carruthers rated it it was amazing
This is the first I've read of this title - now I need to start from the beginning. Great story and art, laugh out loud funny.
Waffles
Oct 20, 2010 Waffles rated it it was amazing
Rosa
Mar 29, 2010 Rosa rated it did not like it
Shelves: graphic-novels, 2010
I thought this was going to be a zombie graphic novel and I didn't realize it was the middle of a series. IT kind of just grossed me out.
Seizure Romero
Aug 19, 2014 Seizure Romero rated it really liked it

Two quotes stand out:

"Figures! How come I'm always the one left standing here to fight the transvestite?!"

"Back off, youse mugs! I swiped this here salmon and I'm gettin' the squeezin's!"
Chris
Chris rated it it was amazing
Jul 19, 2014
Conor Walsh
Conor Walsh rated it it was amazing
Jan 11, 2013
David Mckenzie
David Mckenzie rated it it was amazing
Dec 07, 2011
Barry
Barry rated it it was amazing
Nov 08, 2015
Jenny Lord
Jenny Lord rated it it was amazing
Oct 10, 2012
Eric
Eric rated it really liked it
Aug 18, 2016
Daniel
Daniel rated it really liked it
Apr 18, 2013
Alex
Alex rated it it was amazing
May 28, 2013
Katie
Katie rated it it was amazing
May 19, 2014
  • Baltimore, Vol. 2: The Curse Bells (Baltimore, #2)
  • The Boys, Volume 7: The Innocents
  • Northlanders, Vol. 4: The Plague Widow
  • 100 Bullets: The Deluxe Edition Book II
  • The Dark Horse Book of Monsters (The Dark Horse Book of..., #4)
  • Axe Cop, Vol. 3
  • Fear Agent, Volume 1: Re-Ignition
  • Hack/Slash Volume 3: Friday the 31st (Hack/Slash)
Eric Powell has contributed work on such comics titles as Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel, Hellboy: Weird Tales, Star Wars Tales, The Incredible Hulk, Black Panther, The Avengers, The Hood, MAD Magazine, Devil Dinosaur, Swamp Thing, the Avengers, She-Hulk, the Simpsons, Arkham Asylum: Living Hell and Action Comics.

Although eking out a meager living in the comics field since 1995, Eric didn't find
More about Eric Powell...

The Goon TPB (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • The Goon, Volume 0: Rough Stuff
  • The Goon, Volume 1: Nothin' but Misery
  • The Goon, Volume 2: My Murderous Childhood (and Other Grievous Yarns)
  • The Goon, Volume 3: Heaps of Ruination