Start by marking “Rabbit Omnibus: Rabbit Run, Rabbit Redux and Rabbit is Rich” as Want to Read:
Rabbit Omnibus: Rabbit Run, Rabbit Redux and Rabbit is Rich

Rabbit Omnibus: Rabbit Run, Rabbit Redux and Rabbit is Rich (Rabbit Angstrom #1-3)

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  189 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Rabbit, Run is the book that established John Updike as one of the major American novelists of his—or any other—generation. Its hero is Harry “Rabbit” Angstrom, a onetime high-school basketball star who on an impulse deserts his wife and son. He is twenty-six years old, a man-child caught in a struggle between instinct and thought, self and society, sexual gratification an ...more
Published 1911 by Andre Deutsch

To ask other readers questions about Rabbit Omnibus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rabbit Omnibus

Jo Bennie
A collection of the first three of Updike's Rabbit novels, this is an incredible depiction of American life in the latter half of the 20th century. Harry 'Rabbit' Angstrom is a very normal middle class man, not particularly likeable, heroic or awful, living in the small Pennsylvania suburb Mt Judge, set at the foot of Mt Judge mountain close to the large coal industry town of Brewer. He exhibits much of the same mix of good and bad actions as any of us, cowardice in the face of adversity, bigotr ...more
Richard Jespers
This book, of the first three of Updike’s tetralogy, is said to be the most popular of the four. I wonder. Yes, Rabbit matures a bit now that he’s fifty-six. His wife Janice, who was such a little mouse in the first book, especially blossoms into a forty-three-year-old woman who knows her mind and isn’t afraid to tell Harry where to get off. Their son Nelson returns, after three years at Kent State, to live with them. Instead of remaining at school to get his degree, he insists on taking a sales ...more
Laura Harmon
John Updike totally impresses me as a writer. In these novels he basically gives a cultural history of America from the 50s to the 90s through the mundane lives of a messed up, but typical, suburban family. The descriptions, dialogues, thoughts going through rabbit's head, are all so nicely crafted and convincing. It's raunchy but so is life.
Amy
I am a huge Updike nerd, so I cannot given an unbiased review of the Rabbit series. What I will say, though, is there IS a reason why I am a huge Updike nerd and that certainly isn't lost in these books.
Don
Rabbit,Run is the first of Updike's Angstrom trilogy.

We meet Harry Angstrom - known as Rabbit - one time high school basketball star, now in his mid-20s, living a life with a wife he alternatively despises and loves, and a waste of time job. One evening on returning from work, Rabbit finds his pregnant wife at home in an alcoholic stupor, their infant son in the care of his parents.

Rabbit runs for the first time. A long night time drive that takes from the family home in the Pennsylvanian town
Caroline Gordon
I've just read the first Rabbit Run so far, I just want to record my thoughts for later comparison once I get through the others.[return][return]From the start I was somewhat put off by Updike's style. Every little moment seems to be dissected into a thousand peices, with each characters motives and actions a prism into their psyche. I became somewhat impatient and actually overwelmed as page upon page of these absoutely stunningly insightful paragraphs kept coming at me. I was struggling for br ...more
Andrew
Jun 03, 2008 Andrew rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: pyromaniacs
Recommended to Andrew by: value village thrift store bookshelf
I'm liking it so far, although the prose can be a little mind-bending. But imagery, creating a world, this is something that John Updike, I am learning, excels at.

Quite a good read. It was a long haul, but you end up going through three decades and getting a feel for each one of them, though I wasn't alive for any of them. At a parallel to these decades (the first three decades of the Cold War - a case could be made that the relationship between Rabbit and other characters in this book relates
Juliet Wilson
Rabbit Angstrom is Updike's vision of everyman, an ordinary man, living an ordinary life with an ordinary family in an ordinary neighbourhood, making the mistakes we all make and not really learning from them. This book is made up of three novels which follow Rabbit's life, concentrating in turn on the years 1959, 1969 and 1979.

Rabbit Run, the first book in the trilogy, is very well written but I found it boring and too focussed on the purely domestic.

Rabbit Redux and Rabbit is Rich are both m
Mattkelly
The literary version of the 'Before Sunrise' film trilogy. Or vice versa? Updike vividly portrays life through four decades as both a personal voyage and a multi-generational zeitgeist. I didn't live in the 50s or 60s, but based on how real he made the 70s and 80s feel, I think it's as close as I'll come to experiencing a time before strip malls, McMansions, and cultural hegemony.
Terry
I believe this is the first novel by Updike that I ever read and thoroughly enjoyed it. This novel had to be pretty shocking in 1959 -- there are heavy doses of sexuality and tragedy. I can see why this novel brought Updike into the spotlight -- very well done.
Pat Maxwell
John Updike's masterpiece series of books on the life of Rabbit (who resembled Mr. Updike.) His take on American culture as it progressed throughout the middle and late 20th century.
flajol
This was the first reading group selection I read, and it felt like homework! I only read Rabbit, Run.
Ann-Marie
Once you read Rabbit, Run you simply have to follow with the others.
Chelsea Hite
I hate these books so much I can't even articulate it.
Tyler
Rich > Run > Redux
Megan Jackson
Megan Jackson marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2015
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2015
Hannah Robertson
Hannah Robertson marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2015
Martin
Martin marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2015
paul
paul marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2015
Dan
Dan marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2015
Andrea Junker
Andrea Junker marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2015
  • The Fantasy Worlds of Peter Beagle
  • Kiss, Kiss / Switch Bitch / My Uncle Oswald
  • Shamans Through Time
  • The Mirror Crack'd / A Caribbean Mystery / Nemesis / What Mrs. McGillicuddy Saw! / The Body in the Library
  • The Testament: A novel
  • The Sound of My Voice
  • I Haven't Dreamed of Flying for a While
  • Tales of the Fish Patrol
  • The Rector's Daughter
John Hoyer Updike (born March 18, 1932 in Shillington, Pennsylvania) was an American writer. Updike's most famous work is his Rabbit series (Rabbit, Run; Rabbit Redux; Rabbit Is Rich; Rabbit At Rest; and Rabbit Remembered). Rabbit is Rich and Rabbit at Rest both won Pulitzer Prizes for Updike. Describing his subject as "the American small town, Protestant middle class," Updike is well known for hi ...more
More about John Updike...

Rabbit Angstrom (4 books)
  • Rabbit, Run (Rabbit Angstrom, #1)
  • Rabbit Redux (Rabbit Angstrom, #2)
  • Rabbit Is Rich (Rabbit Angstrom, #3)
  • Rabbit at Rest (Rabbit Angstrom, #4)
Rabbit, Run (Rabbit Angstrom, #1) Rabbit at Rest (Rabbit Angstrom, #4) Rabbit Is Rich (Rabbit Angstrom, #3) Rabbit Redux (Rabbit Angstrom, #2) The Witches of Eastwick (Eastwick, #1)