Start by marking “Rabbit Omnibus: Rabbit Run, Rabbit Redux and Rabbit is Rich” as Want to Read:
Rabbit Omnibus: Rabbit Run, Rabbit Redux and Rabbit is Rich

Rabbit Omnibus: Rabbit Run, Rabbit Redux and Rabbit is Rich (Rabbit Angstrom #1-3)

4.11  ·  Rating Details  ·  233 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
Rabbit, Run is the book that established John Updike as one of the major American novelists of his—or any other—generation. Its hero is Harry “Rabbit” Angstrom, a onetime high-school basketball star who on an impulse deserts his wife and son. He is twenty-six years old, a man-child caught in a struggle between instinct and thought, self and society, sexual gratification an ...more
Published 1911 by Andre Deutsch

To ask other readers questions about Rabbit Omnibus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rabbit Omnibus

Jeremy
May 16, 2015 Jeremy rated it it was amazing
This review is for the first novel of this omnibus edition only: Rabbit, Run

(Also, I discovered an interesting typo in the Pascal epigraph in this edition. Mine has 'harness of heart' instead of 'hardness' which has a completely different spin to it.)

’Proverbs, proverbs, they’re so true,’ Jimmie sings, strumming his Mouseguitar, ‘proverbs tell us what to do; proverbs help us all to bee—better—Mouse-ke-teers.’

Harry ‘Rabbit’ Angstrom is not a good Mousketeer. Once he was, when he was adulated for
Jo Bennie
Nov 30, 2014 Jo Bennie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: u
A collection of the first three of Updike's Rabbit novels, this is an incredible depiction of American life in the latter half of the 20th century. Harry 'Rabbit' Angstrom is a very normal middle class man, not particularly likeable, heroic or awful, living in the small Pennsylvania suburb Mt Judge, set at the foot of Mt Judge mountain close to the large coal industry town of Brewer. He exhibits much of the same mix of good and bad actions as any of us, cowardice in the face of adversity, bigotr ...more
Richard Jespers
This book, of the first three of Updike’s tetralogy, is said to be the most popular of the four. I wonder. Yes, Rabbit matures a bit now that he’s fifty-six. His wife Janice, who was such a little mouse in the first book, especially blossoms into a forty-three-year-old woman who knows her mind and isn’t afraid to tell Harry where to get off. Their son Nelson returns, after three years at Kent State, to live with them. Instead of remaining at school to get his degree, he insists on taking a sales ...more
Laura Harmon
Aug 12, 2010 Laura Harmon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
John Updike totally impresses me as a writer. In these novels he basically gives a cultural history of America from the 50s to the 90s through the mundane lives of a messed up, but typical, suburban family. The descriptions, dialogues, thoughts going through rabbit's head, are all so nicely crafted and convincing. It's raunchy but so is life.
Amy
Dec 29, 2011 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am a huge Updike nerd, so I cannot given an unbiased review of the Rabbit series. What I will say, though, is there IS a reason why I am a huge Updike nerd and that certainly isn't lost in these books.
Don
Aug 27, 2011 Don rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: american-novel
Rabbit,Run is the first of Updike's Angstrom trilogy.

We meet Harry Angstrom - known as Rabbit - one time high school basketball star, now in his mid-20s, living a life with a wife he alternatively despises and loves, and a waste of time job. One evening on returning from work, Rabbit finds his pregnant wife at home in an alcoholic stupor, their infant son in the care of his parents.

Rabbit runs for the first time. A long night time drive that takes from the family home in the Pennsylvanian town
Caroline Gordon
Sep 20, 2011 Caroline Gordon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, america, classics
I've just read the first Rabbit Run so far, I just want to record my thoughts for later comparison once I get through the others.[return][return]From the start I was somewhat put off by Updike's style. Every little moment seems to be dissected into a thousand peices, with each characters motives and actions a prism into their psyche. I became somewhat impatient and actually overwelmed as page upon page of these absoutely stunningly insightful paragraphs kept coming at me. I was struggling for br ...more
Andrew
Jun 03, 2008 Andrew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: pyromaniacs
Recommended to Andrew by: value village thrift store bookshelf
I'm liking it so far, although the prose can be a little mind-bending. But imagery, creating a world, this is something that John Updike, I am learning, excels at.

Quite a good read. It was a long haul, but you end up going through three decades and getting a feel for each one of them, though I wasn't alive for any of them. At a parallel to these decades (the first three decades of the Cold War - a case could be made that the relationship between Rabbit and other characters in this book relates
Karen
Jul 16, 2016 Karen marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
* 1000 novels everyone must read: the definitive list: Family and Self

Selected by the Guardian's Review team and a panel of expert judges, this list includes only novels – no memoirs, no short stories, no long poems – from any decade and in any language. Originally published in thematic supplements – love, crime, comedy, family and self, state of the nation, science fiction and fantasy, war and travel – they appear here for the first time.
Juliet Wilson
Jul 18, 2010 Juliet Wilson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novels
Rabbit Angstrom is Updike's vision of everyman, an ordinary man, living an ordinary life with an ordinary family in an ordinary neighbourhood, making the mistakes we all make and not really learning from them. This book is made up of three novels which follow Rabbit's life, concentrating in turn on the years 1959, 1969 and 1979.

Rabbit Run, the first book in the trilogy, is very well written but I found it boring and too focussed on the purely domestic.

Rabbit Redux and Rabbit is Rich are both m
Bria Lafayette
One of the books that changed the way I think about the world. The writing is phenomenal. I would recommend these books.
Mattkelly
Dec 10, 2013 Mattkelly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The literary version of the 'Before Sunrise' film trilogy. Or vice versa? Updike vividly portrays life through four decades as both a personal voyage and a multi-generational zeitgeist. I didn't live in the 50s or 60s, but based on how real he made the 70s and 80s feel, I think it's as close as I'll come to experiencing a time before strip malls, McMansions, and cultural hegemony.
Terry
Aug 03, 2011 Terry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I believe this is the first novel by Updike that I ever read and thoroughly enjoyed it. This novel had to be pretty shocking in 1959 -- there are heavy doses of sexuality and tragedy. I can see why this novel brought Updike into the spotlight -- very well done.
Pat Maxwell
May 25, 2013 Pat Maxwell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
John Updike's masterpiece series of books on the life of Rabbit (who resembled Mr. Updike.) His take on American culture as it progressed throughout the middle and late 20th century.
flajol
Mar 12, 2008 flajol rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reading-group
This was the first reading group selection I read, and it felt like homework! I only read Rabbit, Run.
Ann-Marie
Jun 12, 2012 Ann-Marie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Once you read Rabbit, Run you simply have to follow with the others.
Chelsea Hite
Sep 22, 2013 Chelsea Hite rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I hate these books so much I can't even articulate it.
Tyler
Nov 30, 2010 Tyler rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rich > Run > Redux
Kathy Brann
Kathy Brann rated it really liked it
Jul 27, 2016
Geta
Geta rated it it was amazing
Jul 14, 2016
Rahil Zabihi
Rahil Zabihi marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2016
Adrienne
Adrienne marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2016
Rosie Ellis
Rosie Ellis rated it it was amazing
Jun 21, 2016
Lizzy
Lizzy marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2016
ger crotty
ger crotty rated it really liked it
Jun 09, 2016
Rebeccao
Rebeccao marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2016
Patricia Ng
Patricia Ng marked it as to-read
May 31, 2016
  • Jeeves, Jeeves, Jeeves
  • Great Detectives: A Century of the Best Mysteries from England and America
  • Kiss, Kiss / Switch Bitch / My Uncle Oswald
  • The World of the Short Story: A Twentieth Century Collection
  • The Fantasy Worlds of Peter Beagle
  • The Mirror Crack'd / A Caribbean Mystery / Nemesis / What Mrs. McGillicuddy Saw! / The Body in the Library
  • The Three Sisters
  • St. Mawr/The Man Who Died
  • The Good Companions
  • Shamans Through Time
  • Fortunes of Richard Mahony
John Hoyer Updike was an American writer. Updike's most famous work is his Rabbit series (Rabbit, Run; Rabbit Redux; Rabbit Is Rich; Rabbit At Rest; and Rabbit Remembered). Rabbit is Rich and Rabbit at Rest both won Pulitzer Prizes for Updike. Describing his subject as "the American small town, Protestant middle class," Updike is well known for his careful craftsmanship and prolific writing, havin ...more
More about John Updike...

Rabbit Angstrom (4 books)
  • Rabbit, Run (Rabbit Angstrom, #1)
  • Rabbit Redux (Rabbit Angstrom, #2)
  • Rabbit Is Rich (Rabbit Angstrom, #3)
  • Rabbit at Rest (Rabbit Angstrom, #4)