Start by marking “The Princess & The Pea” as Want to Read:
The Princess & The Pea

The Princess & The Pea

3.60  ·  Rating Details  ·  518 Ratings  ·  42 Reviews
A true American princess, Cecily White stands to inherit her father's business empire. With the 20th century right around the corner, she has no intention of marrying some foreign nobleman seeking her money. Then on a trip to England, Cece falls under the spell of a dashing peer who has more to recommend him that the length of his title and the size of his countinghouse.
Mass Market Paperback, 400 pages
Published May 1st 1996 by Love Spell

To ask other readers questions about The Princess & The Pea, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Princess & The Pea

Maura
Drew Doll
Sep 11, 2014 Drew Doll rated it liked it
Wow, I really, really wanted to like this book a whole lot more that I did.

The blurb looked interesting, I found the premise amusing, even the characters initially were engaging. So why didn't I like this book more? Why?

(view spoiler)
Tracy
Oct 29, 2014 Tracy rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book. I thought Cece and Jared were both extremely likable and the chemistry between them was undeniable.

I also liked that they fell in love pretty early in the book and instead of that being the end of their story, it was just the beginning. They had some issues to work out to get their HEA. And what a delightful trip it was.

There are also a lot of equally entertaining secondary characters. Jared's mother was great. Her tests for Cece were priceless.

The banter between Jar
Cherie
Dec 11, 2014 Cherie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library
I struggled to finish this one. The story was set up well, there are several scenarios going on at the same time which keeps a reader busy. The hero has a strategy for winning over his heiress, the heiress has a strategy for winning over her Earl, the mother has a strategy for insuring the heiress deserves to be a countess.

Since the two meet each other and fall in love before knowing the true identity of the other, they start out as a penniless inventor unable to marry his true love because he c
Academicsupport
Dec 11, 2011 Academicsupport rated it really liked it
Fun, light read.
Gina Hott
Sep 18, 2014 Gina Hott rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook, favorites
Hott Synopsis:

It’s definitely a folly – though whose we can’t be certain.
Lady Olivia knows that her son Jared must marry an heiress and an American one seems to be the only option but that doesn’t mean she has to settle. Lady Olivia will make sure that the next Duchess will be a true lady worthy of her title even if she has to resort to her favorite Fairy Tale for ideas.

CeCe can’t believe it when her friend returns from England only to lament about the most gorgeous Duke whose mother shewed her
Judy
May 17, 2011 Judy rated it it was amazing
Cece White was on a mission of revenge for her friend Marybeth Anderson.
Both young women were heiress's and the titled men in England were marrying American heiress's these days to restore their lost wealth. The Earl of Graystone had broken her friends heart, and his mother had rejected the poor the girl as well. Arrogant English men.

Cece decided she would go to England capture the Earl's heart and dump him, showing that American's were superior.

Meeting Jared Grayson sidetracked Cece's plan in
Ann Keller
Cecily White’s father made a fortune in America and she had been raised as a privileged young lady with numerous marriage prospects. However, Cecily was determined that the man she marry wanted to be with her because he loved her and not just to obtain her fortune.

By contrast, the Earl of Graystone was heir to an old and respected title, but their family fortunes had suffered of late. His family urged him to marry an heiress, a young lady of suitable family and wealth, who could bring real life
Lover of Romance
After one of Cecily's friends gets hurts from the Early of Graystone, Cecily comes up with a plan to go to England and hurt him just as much. Cece's plan is to convince her parents to take them over to England, telling them that she would like to marry a English Lord, and going to England would do that. Her parents had always wanted her to marry one, so her plan worked she had convinced her parents to take both her and her sister Emily over to England. When they get there they visit a friend of ...more
Melodie
As with the previous Victoria Alexander novel I read, the book started out very promising but went downhill from there. I don't don't why I decide to read this since the ratings are pretty low besides the fact that the premise sounds so promising. Like that other novel, this book had the potential of being a great read--she has such nice ideas for the books--but I was very disappointed.

There were quite a few things I didn't like about the novel. The biggest problem I had was the love triangle b
JoAnn
Mar 05, 2011 JoAnn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
It is interesting to see how authors use classic fairy tales as the inspiration for a book, and with a title like this it was pretty clear that that was the case here but I could not imagine how this story could be stretched to fill 354 pages. In this case the classic fairy tale is what inspires the hero's mother to test any of her son's potential brides, though not by seeing how well she sleeps with a pea under the tower of mattresses that is her bed for the night.

Set in 1895, this is the story
Julie Eichelberger-ford
Jan 13, 2015 Julie Eichelberger-ford rated it it was amazing
Victoria Alexander has written a great book based loosely on a fairy tale. Cece White is an American heiress who wishes to enact revenge on the Earl of Graystone for her friend. Jared, the Earl of Graystone is looking to marry an American heiress but his meddling mother chases off every prospect until Cece. Cece and Jared are imaginative, progressive and fun characters to follow in this turn of the century love story.
Linda C
May 21, 2014 Linda C rated it it was amazing
In 1895, British Lords seemed to be seeking American heiresses to bolster their declining fortunes. When a friend returns to Chicago from London with a broken heart after being found wanting by the mother of her perspective Lord, Cece White determines to go to London and teach the Earl of Graystone a lesson. However, adventurous Cece meets a different Jared Grayson, inventor of an automobile, than she expected. Misunderstandings lead to a little of a rocky start but soon realize their true feeli ...more
Alex
Mostly skimmed this book

Alex's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
Michelle
Jan 20, 2015 Michelle rated it it was ok
Cecily (Cece) and the Earl of Graystone. Not overly interested in this story.
Minna
Feb 14, 2012 Minna rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Loved the time period and the premise but the characters weren't terribly engaging and there didn't seem to much, if any, romance. I don't care if there's not much sex in a romance- in fact I love tension in a story- but neither of the two main characters seemed overly interested. Honestly, they seemed like two friends who decided it was advantageous to just marry and get it over with. I liked the younger sister better but she got a two-bit wrapup in the epilogue so I guess no followup book for ...more
Alice
Aug 15, 2015 Alice rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Turn of the Century Heiress and Motor Vehicles

Spunky turn of the century American Heiress travels to Paris where she meets a young supposed penniless inventor and they begin to fall in love. At which point, he leaves her because he needs to marry money, and he turns out to be the Earl of Greystone. This she discovers when she returns to London. He's happy now that she's rich. She's furious that he wants to marry her now. Very nice set up for the rest of the story. Loved it. The writing is superb
Nancy
May 11, 2015 Nancy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, romance
Kind of all over the place
Kate
Dec 31, 2013 Kate rated it liked it
Amy
Feb 29, 2012 Amy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book starts off really strong with a lot of great potential. I think it's between pages 60 and 100 that it took a turn I didn't really expect, and it never really picked itself up. Not too much of a struggle between the main characters, where the setup made it such a prime book for some excitement in the relationship dynamics. I love that she's such a strong person, but yes, it fell a bit flat for a good part of the book. Only gave it 3 stars because the beginning was awesome and ending oka ...more
Cary
Dec 28, 2010 Cary rated it really liked it
Didn't think I would like this as much as I did and except for one sex scene (pages 330-335) it was rather clean although it was filled with sexual tension. Interestingly told from both points of view... male and female yet that didn't bother me like it usually does! In fact the author was rather omniscient knowing everyone's feelings and thoughts including mama's! The picture on the cover is tons more erotic than the book though and doesn't even fit it!
E.v. Sage
Jan 07, 2015 E.v. Sage rated it it was amazing
For anyone who feels exasperated by characters who are bogged down in unresolved angst due to lack of communication between themselves, this is a refreshing change of pace. Rather than emotional turmoil, the plot of this story is primarily external scenarios. For all that, this is still, at the core, a love story. Oh, and it comes with the additional perk of revolving much around the history of the first automobiles!
Teri
Feb 28, 2015 Teri rated it did not like it
I tried, I really did. I just could not connect with any of the characters and the storyline seemed ridiculous.
Denise
Apr 19, 2011 Denise rated it really liked it
I really liked this one! I loved the "dawning of a new century" feel to it. I also liked the mix of American enthusiasm and British tradition between the hero and heroine. Cece is definitely my kind of woman - I can see her involved in the votes for women movement (reminiscent of the mother in Mary Poppins). It was well-paced with just the right blend of action, passion and enjoyment.
Mimna
Oct 17, 2012 Mimna rated it liked it
พระเอกเปนผูดีตกยาก นางเอกเปนคนลูกสาวเศรษฐีชาวอเมริกัน
ตอนแรกทังคูเจอกันทีปารีสแตพระเอก ทังๆทีชอบนางเอกแตนึกวาเธอเปนคนจน เขาเลยสงจดหมายปฏิเสธเธอ นางเอกทังโกรธทังเศรา แตเมือมาเจอกันทีอังกฤษ แผนการทังหลายของทังชายและหญิงจึงเริมขึนเพือลอลวงอีกคนใหแตงงานดวย

นารักดีคะ

Virginia
Aug 26, 2012 Virginia rated it it was ok
I just couldn't get into this book. Cece was manic and annoying and Jared was just too weak. I couldn't stand any of them (even the supporting characters). Perhaps the setting was too modern (1895) and I just don't care for cars, the setting, nor the characters. Pass.
Tanya
May 12, 2011 Tanya rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very goooooodd!!!
everything was perfect in this book. i liked the characters the way they always made me laugh.
what i want to know is if Emily will end up with Quentin.
but i enjoyed the book either way. Can't wait to read more Victoria Alexander!!!!!!!
Abby
Aug 11, 2012 Abby rated it did not like it
Shelves: romance
Dingbat-Manic-Pixy-Heroine from Chicago meets oh-so-perfect British Lord hero in saccharine, silly romance, with too many BIG MISUNDERSTANDINGS that were just plain stupid. The only saving grace of the book are the cars. 1895 cars are cool.
Lisarenee
Mar 30, 2011 Lisarenee rated it really liked it
Liked it. Had several romances going on with a cute ending. About an American Heiress out to avenge her friend by attempting to break the heart of the man who broke her friend's heart.
Josephine's Library
A fun fantastic spin on a classic fairytale. Victoria Alexander has a way with words and I found this book to be intriguing and a definite page turner.
  • De Buty & The Beast (Faerie Tale Romance)
  • Rules of Passion (Greentree Sisters, #2)
  • Secrets of a Perfect Night
  • Hazard (Company of Rogues, #9)
  • Venus (V, #1)
  • The Gentle Beast
  • Portrait of a Lover (American Heiresses, #5)
  • Tempted By the Night (Marlowe, #2)
  • Wild (Medieval Trilogy, #2)
  • The Matchmaker (Maker, #1)
  • The Bride Wore Scarlet (Fraternitas Aureae Crucis, #2)
  • The Earl Claims His Wife (Scandals and Seductions, #2)
  • The Seduction
  • The Secret Swan
  • Passion and Pleasure in London (Charmed and Dangerous, #3)
  • The Duke's Indiscretion (Duke Trilogy, #3)
  • Veils of Silk (Silk Trilogy, #3)

New York Times bestselling author Victoria Alexander was an award winning television reporter until she discovered fiction was much more fun than real life. She turned to writing full time and is still shocked it worked out.

Since the publication of her first book in 1995,
More about Victoria Alexander...