Start by marking “Maigret en de Lange Lijs” as Want to Read:
Maigret en de Lange Lijs

Maigret en de Lange Lijs (Maigret #38)

Somewhere in Paris there is a corpse....

It's the toughest case you've ever handled Maigret.

You've got to solve a murder but you can't locate a corpse.

You've got to find the body but you don't know who was killed.

You've got to tag the killer but you don't know why he struck.

In fact, you've only one fact. Somewhere in Paris there is a corpse - and a killer. And it's your job
Published May 2004 by Poema Pocket (first published 1951)

To ask other readers questions about Maigret en de Lange Lijs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Maigret en de Lange Lijs

Mark
Oct 04, 2014 Mark rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of the better detective story
Shelves: detective, 2015, belgian
Simenon a brilliant Belgian writer, born in Liege [which is a proverbial stone throw away from where I live in the South of the Netherlands], is probably best known for his series about Maigret the French policeman. The pace in these books are never much higher than pedestrian, but they are full of characters that are fleshed out and recognizable. The Maigret stories are in general very good drawings of situations that went wrong and needs a policeman to bring the truth to the light.

Here the boo
Roman Clodia
Dec 13, 2016 Roman Clodia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is classic Maigret and though it's midway through the series, it's also perfectly fine as a place to start for those new to Simenon. This new Penguin translation feels smooth and natural, and keeps some of the low-key humour of the originals.

Unlike many contemporary crime writers, Simenon doesn't believe in wasted words: he keeps things short, sharp and abbreviated, ditching all extraneous words. There are no 'he said/she saids' in the dialogues and Maigret doesn't let us into his own thoug
Richard
Dec 10, 2016 Richard rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, previously-read
Previously "Maigret and the Burglar's Wife. A book I have read before and remember the faithful TV adaptation with Michael Gambon in the 90's.
Just over 3 years ago Penguin began reissuing all 75 of Georges Simenon’s Inspector Maigret novels at a rate of one per month, commissioning new modern translation, returning to original titles and producing them in their original publication order.
With 'Maigret and the Tall Woman' I have now read 38 such titles and I am up to date with the ones so far iss
Ivonne Rovira
Dec 09, 2016 Ivonne Rovira added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone!
First published in English in 1955 with the better title of Inspector Maigret and the Burglar’s Wife, Maigret and the Tall Woman was a book I simply couldn’t put down, as cliché as that sounds. A former prostitute who had had a run-in with Maigret some 17 years earlier has since married a safecracker, Alfred “Sad Freddie” Jussiaume. Madame Jussiaume pops into Maigret’s office to advise him that her husband had fled the scene of his impending crime on Tuesday night when he found a bloodied woman’ ...more
Michael Mills
Feb 24, 2017 Michael Mills rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
Full disclosure: I received an ARC of this book via NetGalley in return for an honest review.

Oh Georges Simenon. Your tight, witty prose is so cool I feel more socially desirable just reading one of your books. It's a pity this is an ebook, otherwise my fellow commuters might've caught a glimpse of the cover and secretly hoped I'd be their friend.

description

Maigret and the Tall Woman is the 38th of the 76 novels Simenon wrote about his titular inspector, and as about a typical example of the series as you
Felicia
My first Maigret book. Definitely enjoyable, although dear god does he drink a lot while working. Anyway, I'll definitely read more.
Elaine Tomasso
Dec 20, 2016 Elaine Tomasso rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I would like to thank Netgalley and Penguin Books UK for a review copy of Maigret and The Tall Women, the 38th novel in the series of Paris based police procedurals.

Sad Freddy, a safe cracker, phones his wife Ernestine, the eponymous Tall Woman, to tell her that he had to abandon the job he was on and go on the run because he found a dead body and was seen leaving the premises in Neuilly. Ernestine brings the story to Maigret who soon identifies the premises but finds no body or evidence of a br
Sid Nuncius
Dec 14, 2016 Sid Nuncius rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You just can't beat a good Maigret and I read this quickly and with great pleasure. The two things are linked, because Simenon's unfussy, direct style means that each of the 70-odd Maigret books is brief but very satisfying. This, like all of them, is as much about character and Parisian life as about crime, but it's done so well that you absorb it all while being involved in the story.

Here, Maigret begins to investigate the story of a woman whom he arrested in amusing circumstances many years
4cats
Dec 16, 2016 4cats rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
A woman from Maigret's past asks for help from the famous police inspector. Her husband a safe cracker has disappeared after breaking into a house to rob a safe, however whilst carrying out his job he spots a dead body in the room, panics, runs but doesn't run to his wife instead leaving Paris to go into hiding. Maigret accepts the case and comes up against two challenging foes.

Everyone should try the Maigret novels, they are a joy to read and leave you wanting more. Luckily there is a large can
Denise
Nov 19, 2013 Denise rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I will no longer apologize for liking and reading mysteries, just as Maigret would never apologize for a couple of extra glasses of wine with lunch. I remember my mother reading this series--can't believe I just rediscovered them now. Quality story with lovely French color and atmosphere. Definitely going to keep reading these!
Bo
Nov 19, 2009 Bo rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This seemed to be just a run-of-the mill, mediocre detective story--not at all what I expected Simenon to be like. I did enjoy reading about Maigret's drinking, which plays a prominent role. Man, he can throw back the Pernod.
John
Nov 08, 2013 John rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another very atmospheric tale from Simenon. Difficult to say too much without giving the game away. Thoroughly enjoyable.

Bob Bauer
Dec 30, 2009 Bob Bauer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
I forgot what a pleasure it is to read Simenon and his wonderful character Inspector Maigret.
Lauren
Jan 21, 2017 Lauren rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
French policeman Maigret is in a summer mood, sipping Pernod as he matches wits with murderous foes. While the classic Maigret series is best described as police procedurals, the heart of these books is watching Maigret spin a web to entrap the evildoers. The other pleasure of the series is their description of French daily life; Simenon masterfully evokes an evening as spent by M and Mme Maigret or a morning in the life of a local prostitute.
The books are concise, somewhat dry, neither flowery
Mark Pearce
Jan 10, 2017 Mark Pearce rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first Maigret book I have read. I read it as a result of seeing Maigret as portrayed by Rowan Atkinson which I had enjoyed. I set about reading the book and confess to having enjoyed it too. I will definitely read another in the future as this one was good enough to attract me back without being brilliant and making me want to read another straight away. Good stuff and Maigret seems to be an interesting though complex character.
Erin Britton
Dec 12, 2016 Erin Britton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ernestine Jussiaume, a lofty former prostitute who caused Maigret much embarrassment during an arrest many years ago, seeks his help following the disappearance of her husband. The man in question is a particularly unlucky safecracker named Sad Freddie, who had gone out on ‘one last big job’ at a house on Rue de la Ferme a couple of evenings before but, rather than returning empty-handed and morose as was his normal practice, he had telephoned his wife in a panic and informed her that he had to ...more
Kath
Dec 08, 2016 Kath rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Georges Simenon's Maigret books were the first adult books I read. I took those tentative steps up the stairs in the library from the children's section to the adult's section and, to be honest, I have no idea why I picked these to start with. Possibly having watched repeats of the 1960s TV show. But I did, and I really loved them. They managed to re-ignite my love of reading that my school had all but brow beaten out of me by making me read books I had little or no interest in. Anyway, this hav ...more
Tony
Jan 02, 2009 Tony rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Simenon, Georges. MAIGRET AND THE BURGLAR’S WIFE. (1951). ****. A woman comes to see Chief Inspector Maigret at headquarters. She reminds him that they have met, several years ago, when she was a streetwalker, and he ran her in for petty theft. She’s married now to a man well known to the police. His nickname is “Sad Freddie.” Freddie used to work for a safe company, installing their products in businesses and private homes. Over the last few years, however, he has started his own business: robb ...more
Jim
May 26, 2009 Jim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Simenon's characters are caught in the usual tensions of domestic relationships. This time we find a second wife moving in with a hostile mother-in-law and her weak kneed dentist son. One of them tries to break out from the unhappiness and crime results. Maigret, the plodding civil servant, restores order and brings the criminal to justice between trips to the Brasserie Dauphine for sandwiches and beer and stakeouts lubricated liberally with calvados.

While the criminals and their victims struggl
Gláucia Renata
Maigret é procurado por uma prostituta que ele havia prendido há alguns anos para que ele ajude seu marido, um ladrão famoso porém mal sucedido a sair de uma enrascada. Durante um assalto a uma residência, o azarado ladrão descobre o corpo de uma mulher e precisa provar que não é o culpado.
Narrativa simples e enxuta; o mistério não é tão grande pois já se deduz o criminoso. O atrativo é o envolvimento de Maigret e sua forma de atuar. Meu segundo livro do autor que ainda não ganhou meu coração de
Angelo Giardini
Em Maigret e A Mulher do Ladrão, o inspetor francês é acionado pela esposa de um conhecido ladrão parisiense que lhe informa que seu marido, momentaneamente escondido em local ignorado, vira um cadáver ao entrar furtivamente para roubar valores de uma residência acerca da qual só sabe o bairro em que se situa. Sem saber assim quem é a pessoa assassinada, quem é o provável assassino e qual a residência específica em que isso tudo ocorreu, Maigret inicia uma investigação às cegas.

Curiosamente, um
John
Aug 05, 2011 John rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: french, bibliotheque
I'm warming to Maigret. The stories are often very light, in that nothing much happens, but Simenon does succeed in showing you his characters. Often the killers are impenetrable, but I guess there's a reason for them hiding something and not wishing to reveal too much of themselves. However the little mannerisms that Maigret displays show you that he's mentally absorbed in the case, and some of the tension he's supposed to be feeling is conveyed to the reader.

Sadly, I'm always tempted to find
Cate
Aug 13, 2016 Cate rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is brilliant, it's a perfect crime thriller/police procedural.

Set in the 1950s and that time is to be kept in mind. Very occasionally the language is a little strange but absolutely doesn't take away from the enjoyment.

It's more realistic than most but just as full of suspense. I loved the conversations and interrogations, they were very clever.

It's short and you have to pay attention to what is being said or what is happening. I did see the ending coming but probably because later write
Andrew Logan
Jan 05, 2017 Andrew Logan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An easy read. Nothing too outrageous happens. There are some little twists but nothing shocking. I guess it evokes a time and place, but as I was not there at the time, I don't know.
I enjoyed it. There are new characters and familiar characters. There is loads of plot, but the characters are never sacrificed to it. A good read.
Susan Springer
Maigret suspects Parisian dentist, Dr. Serre, of poisoning his first and and shooting his second wife. He questions the doctor for hours without the slightest admission of guilt. Maigret finally threads
the needle and uncovers the participation of the doctor's mother.
Nancy Thormann
I didn't like this book as much as the other Maigret books. I can understand that there are some criminals that take longer to crack than others, but this seemed to drag out a little to long. It's the first time I've also seen or read anything where a civilian tries to break a criminal down.
Rhys
Jan 08, 2017 Rhys rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An unusual 'Maigret' novel in some ways because he proceeds with almost no hard evidence and makes much less of an effort than he normally does to understand and empathize with the main suspect in the case. As always, the Parisian atmosphere is exquisitely evoked.
Mikee
Feb 18, 2014 Mikee rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: maigret, mystery, simenon
A dentist and his mother. Two wives and a husband. A safe installer / safe cracker. A nice little murder mystery. Mme M spends some time in the Brasserie Dauphine and the PJ (where she's not allowed to comment on the mess or the dust!).
Debbie
Aug 18, 2016 Debbie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: maigret
Interesting.
Cynthia
Many of his books and mysteries are great to read and hard to put down. This one wasn't one of them.
  • Gorilla blues
  • Hammett
  • Murder in the Central Committee
  • More Beer
  • I delitti di via Medina-Sidonia
  • The Best of Warren Ellis: DOWN and Tales of the Witchblade
  • Dead Man Upright (Factory #5)
  • Unforgivable
  • The Discrete Charm of Charlie Monk
  • Murder in Passy (Aimee Leduc Investigations #11)
  • Alla fine di un giorno noioso
  • Falange armata
  • The Book of Q
  • Justiz
  • Total Chaos
  • Crimini
Simenon was one of the most prolific writers of the twentieth century, capable of writing 60 to 80 pages per day. His oeuvre includes nearly 200 novels, over 150 novellas, several autobiographical works, numerous articles, and scores of pulp novels written under more than two dozen pseudonyms. Altogether, about 550 million copies of his works have been printed.

He is best known, however, for his 75
More about Georges Simenon...

Maigret (1 - 10 of 75 books)
  • Pietr the Latvian (Maigret, #1)
  • The Carter of 'La Providence' (Maigret, #2)
  • The Late Monsieur Gallet (Maigret, #3)
  • The Hanged Man of Saint-Pholien (Maigret, #4)
  • A Man's Head (Maigret #5)
  • The Yellow Dog (Maigret #6)
  • The Night at the Crossroads (Maigret #7)
  • A Crime in Holland (Maigret #8)
  • The Grand Banks Café (Maigret, #9)
  • The Dancer at the Gai-Moulin (Maigret #10)