The Christmas Genie

The Christmas Genie

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  143 ratings  ·  30 reviews
It's the last day of school before Christmas vacation and Alex, Chase, and the rest of Mrs. Walter's fifth-grade class couldn't wish more for that final bell to ring.

But the day takes a crazy turn when a mysterious meteorite crashes through their classroom window and a genie pops out. He will grant just one wish for the whole class to share. Be careful what you wish for!
Published October 6th 2009 by Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers (first published September 14th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Christmas Genie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Christmas Genie

Qt
4 1/2 stars--I thought it was quite funny, and a little strange in a good way, and also pretty thought-provoking, too.
M.
The Christmas Genie arrives via a meteorite coming through the window of the classroom. He’s willing to grant the class one wish, but it has to be made within about 2 hours. The teacher has each child put his/her wish in a bowl and one, by one, the wishes are drawn out and debated. The kids have wished for everything from a big screen TV to world peace and each chapter of the book is devoted to the pros and cons of each wish. The kids learn that nothing is simple; nothing is black and white; eve...more
Kelly
When a genie crash-lands in the middle of a 5th grade classroom on the day before Christmas break, the students are given one wish. One wish for the whole class (and none of that pesky wishing for more wishes). How do they decide what to wish for? And can they make a decision before the genie's 2:30 deadline?

Each kid has some idea of what to wish for, but they also have to consider teh possible consequences. What if a wish isn't really as great as it seems? Always remember...be careful what you...more
Irasema
When a meteorite lands inside a 5th grade classroom, the students are surprised to find a rather irreverent genie inside. In gratitude for being freed from the meteorite, the genie grants the entire class only one wish. Each student writes a wish on a notecard and the rest of the book is a lively discussion of the pros and cons of each wish. There are twenty-five wishes which, to me, seemed too many to cover but some of them raised some great ethical questions. I think Gutman had a great idea in...more
Mrs.
I thought this book had some potential for a follow-up writing activity or a book talk introducation for students. It done as a read aloud I don't think I would read the whole book first, I would read parts of the book and then do the writing activity of, if you had one wish to make what would that wish be? I would then continue the reading after looking at the classes response to the wish idea. This activity would also be a great lead into to a book talk to get students to read the book themsel...more
Marti
I would have given this two stars b/c I found it kind of boring and tedious. However, I can see the appeal/benefit of it for kids around the ages of 8 or 9. A genie mysteriously appears in a classroom and gives the kids and their teacher one hour to come up with a wish. The kids and their teacher discuss a lot of different options and the pros and cons of each. It's a good way to get younger kids thinking of others besides themselves and the ramifications of our actions, even those that we don't...more
H
Just what you'd expect from a Gutman book - a fast paced read with appealing kid characters, this little book is the story of a classroom of 5th graders who have to pick one wish after a genie crash lands in their classroom. As the children debate each wish, we learn a little about each one. Extra appealing to me due to beign set in Oak Park, Illinois! Slight? Yes, but kids will like it, particularly around Christmas time. Gutman is a formula writer, but darn it if he isn't a master of the formu...more
Tara
So a meteorite hits a classroom and a genie pops out. He will grant the class one wish. The class tries to democratically select a wish by having everyone write their wish on a piece of paper and putting them in a container. The teacher pulls each wish out, reads it, and then the class discuss the merits of the wish. My 12 year old was thoroughly entertained by this book, and it was fun to read to her.
Donna
With the premise of each child in a classroom getting to vote on what they should do with a magic wish, Gutman creates the opportunity to have a witty conversation about the pros and cons of typical kid wishes. However, that is almost all the book consists of, and by the time you are at wish #13, you start wishing for some brevity in the debate. It would definitely spark some good classroom discussion as a readaloud.
Jess
Another classic Dan Gutman. Kids will love the fast paced story (I know I enjoyed just moving right along) with a Christmas twist. A Genie crash lands in a 5th grade classroom and they have an hour to decide what to wish for as a class. Each wish readers learn a little lesson and the ultimately you learn that you must be careful what you wish for. Perfect for struggling/reluctant readers and fans of funny silly stories.
Betsy
I used this book as a pre-Christmas read-aloud with a 4th and 5th grade book club. While the concept is simple and kind of silly--genie pops out of a meteorite that crashes into a classroom and the kids have to come up with 1 wish between them in 1 hour--I was amazed at the interesting discussions that came from this read... world peace, pollution, fame, the economy. Surprisingly fulfilling!
Chris
This quickly moving little story took me be surprise. Gutman's writing is so funny and kids will love hearing this story read aloud. Anticipation builds and keeps the reader interested right up to the last page. Lots of kid-style language and references to contemporary media figures and technology make this a highly current book that kids will relate to extremely well.
Jackie
Jul 04, 2010 Jackie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2010
I really enjoyed this book. I could picture kids reading this and really getting engaged and wanting to come up with their own wishes and be challenged to think about what the impact of such a wish might bring about in the world. Perfect example of why I love recommending Dan Gutman to children and their parents.
B
Very funny story of a genie that lands via meteorite in a classroom. He grants the class one wish...naturally the discussions about what to choose are very entertaining but also throughtful. Ending was alittle disappointing though.
Emily
Jan 18, 2012 Emily added it
I thoughht this was a pretty good book, and i recommend it to kids in 4th to 6th grade. i only liked this book becauuse of the details and some of the wishes were goood... annd thats all because i dunno what else to say.
Deborah Bobo
Cute new offering by Gutman. The class tries to decide on one wish that they get from a Genie. This one might make students think about what is important in life while keeping them laughing at the same time.
Dana
Funny and clever Christmas read for grades 4 and up. I liked how each wish/idea was explored by the whole class and how they discussed the realities of what kids think would be a great wish.
Emily Lorkowski
I know its not christmas but this is an awesome book it is kinda funny too. I look foward to reading because this is such a great book i want to read the 2 book after im done with the 1 book.
Cute book. Written at a really low level - my 9yo nephew will be bored reading this, I bet. Good moral to the story, I suppose.
Tye
So, I enjoyed the concept and reading about all the kids off the wall wishes'.

Not sure the ending was so compelling.
Corynn
Cute story! Never really thought of things in a way that the class does in "The Christmas Genie".
Sarah Beth
i enjoyed it very much!!! it was an awesome book!! i strongly encourage you to read it!!! thanks
Pamela
This book is good for 5th graders and I recommend this book to people who like making wishes.
Mingo Johnson
It was a fun book to read. The theme is be careful what you wish for.
Brenda Kahn
Goofy fun with the extra added bonus of Santat illustrations.
Elise baumann
wrong one its the one mrs knoth gave me that i read
Paula Lyle
Great read aloud for this season. My kids always love it.
Shawn Clancy
its pretty good i am reading it in class:)
Rylan Wheeler
funny on every single page.i liked it ALOT!=)
Beth Moorhead
A quick fun read!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
The author of over 80 books in a little over a decade of writing, Dan Gutman has written on topics from computers to baseball. Beginning his freelance career as a nonfiction author dealing mostly with sports for adults and young readers, Gutman has concentrated on juvenile fiction since 1995. His most popular titles include the time-travel sports book Honus and Me and its sequels, and a clutch of...more
More about Dan Gutman...
The Homework Machine Miss Daisy Is Crazy! (My Weird School, #1) Babe & Me (A Baseball Card Adventure #3) Mission Unstoppable Mr. Klutz Is Nuts! (My Weird School, #2)