Start by marking “The Christmas Genie” as Want to Read:
The Christmas Genie

The Christmas Genie

3.66  ·  Rating Details  ·  199 Ratings  ·  37 Reviews
It's the last day of school before Christmas vacation and Alex, Chase, and the rest of Mrs. Walter's fifth-grade class couldn't wish more for that final bell to ring.

But the day takes a crazy turn when a mysterious meteorite crashes through their classroom window and a genie pops out. He will grant just one wish for the whole class to share. Be careful what you wish for!
Published October 6th 2009 by Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers (first published September 14th 2009)

Melki
Dec 19, 2015 Melki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children, ho-ho-ho
Christmas vacation is so close, Mrs. Walters' 5th grade class can almost taste it!

And then . . . a meteorite crashes through the window. Sure seems like enough excitement to me, but that's not the end of it. Out pops a genie! He's happy as a clam to be free, and to prove his gratitude, he decides to grant the class one wish. BUT, because he is a genie, and they are mean and like to mess with people, there is a catch. If the class can't all agree on ONE WISH in ONE HOUR, Christmas vacation will b
Qt
Aug 28, 2015 Qt rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor, fantasy, christmas
4 1/2 stars
Jake Funaki
Dec 23, 2014 Jake Funaki rated it really liked it
I thought it was pretty strange. Right as they are talking about meteorites a meteorite crashes. A genie pops out. Genie Bob grants them one wish. They have an hour to choose or they miss their Christmas vacation. I thought the character Logan was really funny. Genie Bob was pretty funny too.
B
Dec 05, 2009 B rated it really liked it
Very funny story of a genie that lands via meteorite in a classroom. He grants the class one wish...naturally the discussions about what to choose are very entertaining but also throughtful. Ending was alittle disappointing though.
Murray Johnson
Dec 02, 2015 Murray Johnson rated it it was ok
Shelves: children-s
A meteorite lands in Mrs. Walters 5th grade class, and after the class touch it a genie named Bob arises out of it and promises the class one wish, so all 25 students submit their wishes and a decision must be made within an hour or no wish and no Christmas vacation. The premise was clever enough and the class analyzed each wish as to whether it was practical or not, but then it got to be tedious and the ending was unsatisfying, but late elementary school students still may appreciate it.
M.
Apr 28, 2010 M. rated it really liked it
The Christmas Genie arrives via a meteorite coming through the window of the classroom. He’s willing to grant the class one wish, but it has to be made within about 2 hours. The teacher has each child put his/her wish in a bowl and one, by one, the wishes are drawn out and debated. The kids have wished for everything from a big screen TV to world peace and each chapter of the book is devoted to the pros and cons of each wish. The kids learn that nothing is simple; nothing is black and white; eve ...more
Kelly
Jun 15, 2011 Kelly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2011
When a genie crash-lands in the middle of a 5th grade classroom on the day before Christmas break, the students are given one wish. One wish for the whole class (and none of that pesky wishing for more wishes). How do they decide what to wish for? And can they make a decision before the genie's 2:30 deadline?

Each kid has some idea of what to wish for, but they also have to consider teh possible consequences. What if a wish isn't really as great as it seems? Always remember...be careful what you
Irasema
Jul 22, 2010 Irasema rated it it was ok
When a meteorite lands inside a 5th grade classroom, the students are surprised to find a rather irreverent genie inside. In gratitude for being freed from the meteorite, the genie grants the entire class only one wish. Each student writes a wish on a notecard and the rest of the book is a lively discussion of the pros and cons of each wish. There are twenty-five wishes which, to me, seemed too many to cover but some of them raised some great ethical questions. I think Gutman had a great idea in ...more
Rachel
Dec 22, 2014 Rachel rated it liked it
Interesting arguments brought up in this book. Would be good to teach point of view with excerpts.
Mrs.
Feb 27, 2011 Mrs. rated it liked it
Shelves: humor, sciene-fiction
I thought this book had some potential for a follow-up writing activity or a book talk introducation for students. It done as a read aloud I don't think I would read the whole book first, I would read parts of the book and then do the writing activity of, if you had one wish to make what would that wish be? I would then continue the reading after looking at the classes response to the wish idea. This activity would also be a great lead into to a book talk to get students to read the book themsel ...more
FrumpBurger
Nov 07, 2015 FrumpBurger rated it it was ok
This book isn't about Christmas at all! ;-(
Marti
Sep 05, 2011 Marti rated it liked it
Shelves: young-reader
I would have given this two stars b/c I found it kind of boring and tedious. However, I can see the appeal/benefit of it for kids around the ages of 8 or 9. A genie mysteriously appears in a classroom and gives the kids and their teacher one hour to come up with a wish. The kids and their teacher discuss a lot of different options and the pros and cons of each. It's a good way to get younger kids thinking of others besides themselves and the ramifications of our actions, even those that we don't ...more
H
Dec 29, 2009 H rated it liked it
Just what you'd expect from a Gutman book - a fast paced read with appealing kid characters, this little book is the story of a classroom of 5th graders who have to pick one wish after a genie crash lands in their classroom. As the children debate each wish, we learn a little about each one. Extra appealing to me due to beign set in Oak Park, Illinois! Slight? Yes, but kids will like it, particularly around Christmas time. Gutman is a formula writer, but darn it if he isn't a master of the formu ...more
Jan Carlson
Feb 08, 2016 Jan Carlson rated it really liked it
A funny story about a genie who arrives in a classroom via a meteorite. The children receive one wish, and they debate the merit of each one's idea. Great holiday read for intermediate students.
Tara
Jan 04, 2014 Tara rated it really liked it
So a meteorite hits a classroom and a genie pops out. He will grant the class one wish. The class tries to democratically select a wish by having everyone write their wish on a piece of paper and putting them in a container. The teacher pulls each wish out, reads it, and then the class discuss the merits of the wish. My 12 year old was thoroughly entertained by this book, and it was fun to read to her.
Donna
Jan 10, 2010 Donna rated it liked it
Shelves: tweens, children
With the premise of each child in a classroom getting to vote on what they should do with a magic wish, Gutman creates the opportunity to have a witty conversation about the pros and cons of typical kid wishes. However, that is almost all the book consists of, and by the time you are at wish #13, you start wishing for some brevity in the debate. It would definitely spark some good classroom discussion as a readaloud.
Jess
Dec 03, 2010 Jess rated it liked it
Shelves: middle-grade, 2010
Another classic Dan Gutman. Kids will love the fast paced story (I know I enjoyed just moving right along) with a Christmas twist. A Genie crash lands in a 5th grade classroom and they have an hour to decide what to wish for as a class. Each wish readers learn a little lesson and the ultimately you learn that you must be careful what you wish for. Perfect for struggling/reluctant readers and fans of funny silly stories.
Betsy
Dec 15, 2011 Betsy rated it liked it
I used this book as a pre-Christmas read-aloud with a 4th and 5th grade book club. While the concept is simple and kind of silly--genie pops out of a meteorite that crashes into a classroom and the kids have to come up with 1 wish between them in 1 hour--I was amazed at the interesting discussions that came from this read... world peace, pollution, fame, the economy. Surprisingly fulfilling!
Chris
Nov 13, 2010 Chris rated it really liked it
This quickly moving little story took me be surprise. Gutman's writing is so funny and kids will love hearing this story read aloud. Anticipation builds and keeps the reader interested right up to the last page. Lots of kid-style language and references to contemporary media figures and technology make this a highly current book that kids will relate to extremely well.
Liz Hoffman
Jan 07, 2016 Liz Hoffman rated it really liked it
Cute Christmas book for kids. It was the first time I got to explain to my 6-year-old that the journey is sometimes more fun in a book, than the ending =)
Jackie
Jul 04, 2010 Jackie rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2010
I really enjoyed this book. I could picture kids reading this and really getting engaged and wanting to come up with their own wishes and be challenged to think about what the impact of such a wish might bring about in the world. Perfect example of why I love recommending Dan Gutman to children and their parents.
Emily
Jan 18, 2012 Emily added it
I thoughht this was a pretty good book, and i recommend it to kids in 4th to 6th grade. i only liked this book becauuse of the details and some of the wishes were goood... annd thats all because i dunno what else to say.
Deborah Bobo
Cute new offering by Gutman. The class tries to decide on one wish that they get from a Genie. This one might make students think about what is important in life while keeping them laughing at the same time.
Dana
Dec 23, 2012 Dana rated it liked it
Shelves: juvenile-fiction
Funny and clever Christmas read for grades 4 and up. I liked how each wish/idea was explored by the whole class and how they discussed the realities of what kids think would be a great wish.
Emily Lorkowski
Jan 19, 2012 Emily Lorkowski rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I know its not christmas but this is an awesome book it is kinda funny too. I look foward to reading because this is such a great book i want to read the 2 book after im done with the 1 book.
Nov 10, 2013 Laura rated it it was ok
Cute book. Written at a really low level - my 9yo nephew will be bored reading this, I bet. Good moral to the story, I suppose.
Tye
Aug 14, 2013 Tye rated it it was ok
Shelves: childrens-books
So, I enjoyed the concept and reading about all the kids off the wall wishes'.

Not sure the ending was so compelling.
Corynn
Dec 17, 2011 Corynn rated it liked it
Cute story! Never really thought of things in a way that the class does in "The Christmas Genie".
Sarah Beth
May 23, 2011 Sarah Beth rated it it was ok
i enjoyed it very much!!! it was an awesome book!! i strongly encourage you to read it!!! thanks
*:・゚✧Pamela
Apr 13, 2013 *:・゚✧Pamela rated it it was ok
This book is good for 5th graders and I recommend this book to people who like making wishes.
  • Masters of Disaster
  • The Night Before the Night Before Christmas
  • Titanic Young Survivors (Ten True Tales)
  • Star in the Forest
  • Great Christmas Kidnapping Caper
  • Mr. Christmas
  • Lucy Rose: Here's the Thing About Me
  • The Intrepid Canadian Expedition (Flat Stanley's Worldwide Adventures, #4)
  • Lego Ninjago, Masters of Spinjitzu. The Challenge of Samukai
  • The World's Best Fairy Tales
  • Miss Smith and the Haunted Library
  • Thomas the Tank Engine Story Collection (Thomas & Friends)
  • The Gift Of The Magi And Other Stories
  • Jake
  • Edgar Allan's Official Crime Investigation Notebook
  • The Ghostwriter Secret (Brixton Brothers #2)
  • The Christmas Quiet Book
  • Horrible Harry and the Christmas Surprise
The author of over 80 books in a little over a decade of writing, Dan Gutman has written on topics from computers to baseball. Beginning his freelance career as a nonfiction author dealing mostly with sports for adults and young readers, Gutman has concentrated on juvenile fiction since 1995. His most popular titles include the time-travel sports book Honus and Me and its sequels, and a clutch of ...more
More about Dan Gutman...