Start by marking “Bumfuzzle” as Want to Read:
Bumfuzzle

Bumfuzzle

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  188 ratings  ·  20 reviews
We've all had that conversation-with ourselves or our significant other-the one about what to do with our life. For some it remains just that-a conversation. But for Pat and Ali the simple question had an answer that demanded action. "Why not sail around the world?" Well, for starters, they had never stepped foot on a sailboat before. For another, they were on the fast tra ...more
Published June 24th 2013 by Book Bums Publishing (first published June 25th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Bumfuzzle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bumfuzzle

Russ
waste of time. Save yourself an afternoon...basically here's all you need to know in a run-on sentence: A couple went on a sailing trip around the world, saw some things (no details needed), had minimal adventures, found out they don't like sailing or people who sail very much, and finished the trip.
Craig Bowman
An enjoyable book to read, but I found the writer to be a bit snobby when it came to what they thought of every other sailor. It seemed they didn't like being around other sailors. It seems strange to live on a sailboat and yet not like other sailors. Sailing is mostly a social endeavor.
David Hughes
I enjoyed the book but was a bit disappointed that it focused mostly on the sailing aspects of their journey and only somewhat covered the details of the various ports they visited. So, I suppose I'll dig into their blog archives after all :)
Ryan
I liked that this book got me excited about traveling and fueled my desire to sail around the world. But, I would probably not be friends with the author. He comes across as pretty cocky and talks a lot of crap about the sailing and cruising community. I'm about the same age as him but in a very different income bracket. I bought a 36 foot sail boat with two friends to sail across the pacific but we took a lot more time getting ready largely due the fact that we had much less money than Pat and ...more
Katie Emerich
Kudos to them for sailing around the world. It got a little tiresome to hear their whining.
Joe Sack
Most of the book was complaining about one thing or another. I enjoyed the parts about people and cultures, but the sailing parts did nothing for me. The blog is better.
Darrin
complete garbage. author is first class douche bag.
Seguleh First
блога е по-интересен...
Max Nova
Bumfuzzle is the story of a couple's journey around the world in a catamaran (for which the book is named). They had almost no prior sailing experience and spoke no language besides English. It was certainly an interesting read - I got the sense that sailing around the world is a) possible b) involves very long stretches of open-sea sailing that could drive me insane. Seems sort of miraculous that they survived - but I guess maybe circumnavigation isn't quite as tricky as it was in Magellan's da ...more
Kerry
This was interesting to read on many levels in terms of world sailing. I did find the main character a little grating at times - between his inexperience and his bravado. But on the other hand, he doesn't claim to always know what he's doing and they do learn as they go. By the end of the book they had won me over a bit more. Reading about the various places they went was fun too.
Kjm
Very Interesting and a wonderful accomplishment for this couple. The best thing about this book is that it imparts to the read that desires can be accomplished regardless of your situation or station. They weren't sailors, they were world travelers...they just did it! That is the key to life.
John Posnett
A great book. People give the author a lot of stick by the sounds of it, but you have to give them credit, they got out there and did it, and had fun, and that's what it's all about. They have a refreshing outlook on cruising, which is great fun to read. Taken as extracts from a diary.
Teresa
Followed these two on their blog from their Pacific Crossing. Great travelogue. Great for kids too. Nice photos and a nice addition to the reports on the blog. Still follow them as they prepare for more sialing with their new "fuzzle".
Shelly

Love this book. Love the bums. Fantastic travel stories. Their blog is full of stunning photographs from around the world. Live vicariously or get motivated. You can not go wrong starting with the book.
Bonnie
Good info. I liked it, but may not be for everyone. This isn't a "sailing in the caribbean with a rum drink in one hand while hopping island to island" book. I follow their blog and I'll buy his next book.
Victoria
I gave this book a 5 star rating because we are friends with Pat and Ali. It is a great book though and between you and me it is a solid 4! Read it and get swept up in the excitement of possibilities.
Maura Bushior
Oh my gosh. Finally finished. This made sailing sound like the most boring, redundant chore ever. Travel - yes. Sailing - ehh....
Ellen Tarbox
This is the cutest couple that sailed around the world. They still have a blog www.bumfuzzle.com.
Tammy Neilsen
Tammy Neilsen is currently reading it
Jul 01, 2015
Alina
Alina is currently reading it
Jun 29, 2015
Gloria
Gloria marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2015
Matt Arrowood
Matt Arrowood marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2015
Matt
Matt marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2015
  • Across Islands and Oceans
  • On Strike for Christmas
  • Breaking Seas: An overweight, middle-aged computer nerd buys his first boat, quits his job, and sails off to adventure
  • Her Mother's Hope & Her Daughter's Dream
  • Under Their Thumb: How a Nice Boy from Brooklyn Got Mixed Up with the Rolling Stones (and Lived to Tell About It)
  • Ships of Oak, Guns of Iron: The War of 1812 and the Forging of the American Navy
  • Overboard!: A True Blue-Water Odyssey of Disaster and Survival
  • Wanderer
  • A Man and His Ship: America's Greatest Naval Architect and His Quest to Build the S.S. United States
  • Chasing Venus: The Race to Measure the Heavens
  • Rick Steves' Italy 2007
  • How I Found Livingstone in Central Africa
  • Traveling With Che Guevara: The Making of a Revolutionary
  • The Proving Ground: The Inside Story of the 1998 Sydney to Hobart Race
Live on the Margin Bumfuzzle - Acaba de Salir en Busca de Piratas Wirtschaftsethik Und Die Grenzen Des Marktes Live on the Margin

“Well, the truth is, we hope that this book will do just that. I like to think of it as idiot encouragement. Take a chance in life. Set a goal for yourself and make it happen.” 0 likes