Start by marking “Uncoupling: Turning Points in Intimate Relationships” as Want to Read:
Uncoupling: Turning Points in Intimate Relationships

Uncoupling: Turning Points in Intimate Relationships

4.10  ·  Rating Details  ·  144 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
"Uncoupling begins with a secret. One of the partners starts to feel uncomfortable in the relationship. The world the two of them have built together no longer 'fits.'"

How do relationships end? Why does one partner suddenly become discontented with the other - and why is the onset of that discontentment not so sudden after all? What signals do partners send each other to i
Published September 5th 1990 by Vintage (first published 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Uncoupling, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Uncoupling

Josh Barkey
Mar 27, 2011 Josh Barkey rated it really liked it
A superb book for defragmenting the fragmenting experience of the end of an intimate relationship. We find ourselves in stories, and in this case sociologist Vaughan has intentionally looked to the stories of hundreds of people whose relationships ended to find the commonalities. It was affirming and restive to discover that all the crazy things that happened to/in my ending relationship were common to everyone in the same situation.
Victoria
Apr 08, 2015 Victoria rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library
This book really helped me when I was going through a separation/divorce a few years ago. This book, along with 'Your Heart Knows the Answer' really saved me from hitting an emotional abyss - highly recommend to people going through rough times, relationship-wise. [close:]
Bryan
Mar 19, 2016 Bryan rated it it was amazing
This book is great for anyone who is going or has gone through the ending of a relationship, has so many questions to ask about how it happened, and is frustrated because the one person you want to ask is also the one person you can't. As the book says, it doesn't offer many insights into the "why" of a break up, but the information on the "how" is fairly exhaustive. It gave me peace of mind when I needed it, and allowed me to get answers to questions which I never thought I would be able. Armed ...more
Julie Pixie
Mar 27, 2016 Julie Pixie rated it it was amazing
Details the process and commonalities of breaking up in a way that helps you look back and understand the rituals going on and what might be going on in the other person's head from both the initiator and partner perspective. Also helped me feel better about some of the rituals I'm doing, that other people might be doing them, and might change the way I uncouple in the future (if I get into another relationship). A little bit outside my realm and wish it would have helped more, but still much be ...more
Scrivener
Oct 31, 2007 Scrivener rated it it was ok
I noticed this book in my wife's car not so long ago. She purchased it something like 2 weeks before she told me she wants a divorce. I looked it up on Amazon and based on the reviews there, I got a copy for myself. Will it help me to understand? Who knows.

Not really so helpful, really. It more a description of what's likely to happen than an analysis of why. A lot of it does apply to what happened to my marriage, I guess, though not quite. But so what? It doesn't do anything to help understand
Scott
Aug 23, 2016 Scott rated it it was amazing
I've lost count of how many copies of this I've given friends/family that are having relationship trouble. Nothing here is going to fix anything but it goes a long way towards explaining the crazy/hurtful behavior you are experiencing (or dishing out, but if you are doing the dumping you're not likely to be searching for reading material like this are you?)

I really do believe this book should be mandatory reading for anyone headed into or out of a marriage.
Diana Rodriguez
Apr 28, 2014 Diana Rodriguez rated it it was amazing
A very insightful read about how to change thoughts and feelings about a dead relationship. I highly recommend it for anyone who has gone through a break up.
Kristan
Sep 17, 2012 Kristan rated it it was amazing
My mom recommended this book to me when I was having marriage troubles. Sadly, it made my situation very clear to me.
Julene
Oct 31, 2012 Julene rated it really liked it
Shelves: psychology
Read if you are thinking of breaking up with a partner. This is a classic.
Mallory
Mar 21, 2016 Mallory rated it it was ok
Shelves: for-class
I had to read this for a introductory sociology course, and wouldn't recommend it for any other purpose.
Jan 27, 2009 Sarah rated it liked it
An enjoyable read, but I'm left wanting more from Vaughan on a methodological level. How many of her interviewees displayed certain characteristics is not clear from the book; she favors using the words "some" and "others" over hard numbers. I'd like to see those numbers.
Jenn
Oct 24, 2007 Jenn rated it really liked it
For anyone wanting to understand the process of ending a relationship, this book is worth reading. It provides an understanding of everything that leads up to the end of the relationship. And, this is something that can be very helpful to know before going into another one!
Aly
Apr 15, 2007 Aly marked it as to-read
One of my co-workers at the lab says that this is the well-researched and yet very accessible relationship book that she passes on to all of her friends.
Kyla
Mar 05, 2013 Kyla rated it it was amazing
Fantastic book! Gained many insights that have been useful working with couples.
Chris
A classic. Indispensable for the recently divorced.
Christine Hardy
Jun 09, 2007 Christine Hardy rated it really liked it
A great read for when a relationship ends.
Kelly
Apr 12, 2008 Kelly rated it liked it
Shelves: class

close relationships (walzer)
Barbara
Aug 12, 2008 Barbara rated it it was amazing
Very informative in helping me to understand what was going on in my life. Highly recommended!
Jai Khatri
Jai Khatri marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2016
Raluca
Raluca marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2016
Stephen
Stephen marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2016
Saeed Ahmad
Saeed Ahmad marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2016
ovaux
ovaux marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2016
Taz
Taz added it
Aug 06, 2016
Colleen
Colleen marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2016
Lily
Lily marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2016
Shubham Jasoriya
Shubham Jasoriya marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2016
Kunimasa Yukishige
Kunimasa Yukishige marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2016
Sal Buscemi
Sal Buscemi marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Hard to Get: Twenty-Something Women and the Paradox of Sexual Freedom
  • Hooking Up: Sex, Dating, and Relationships on Campus
  • The Outsourced Self: Intimate Life in Market Times
  • The Pursuit of Loneliness: America's Discontent and the Search for a New Democratic Ideal
  • The End of Sex: How Hookup Culture is Leaving a Generation Unhappy, Sexually Unfulfilled, and Confused About Intimacy
  • The Unfinished Revolution: How a New Generation Is Reshaping Family, Work, and Gender in America
  • From Front Porch to Back Seat: Courtship in Twentieth-Century America
  • You Lost Him at Hello: A Saleswoman's Secrets to Closing the Deal with Any Guy You Want
  • Gender Advertisements
  • Why Men Marry Some Women and Not Others: The Fascinating Research That Can Land You the Husband of Your Dreams
  • Consuming the Romantic Utopia: Love and the Cultural Contradictions of Capitalism
  • Toward a New Psychology of Women
  • He's Scared, She's Scared: Understanding the Hidden Fears That Sabotage Your Relationships
  • The Hearts of Men: American Dreams and the Flight from Commitment
  • The Marriage-Go-Round: The State of Marriage and the Family in America Today
  • Singled Out: How Singles Are Stereotyped, Stigmatized, and Ignored, and Still Live Happily Ever After
  • The Psychology of Romantic Love
  • Victims No Longer: Men Recovering from Incest and Other Sexual Child Abuse

“To speak of a communication failure implies a breakdown of some sort. Yet this does not accurately portray what occurs. In truth, communication difficulties arise not from breakdown but from the characteristics of the system itself. Despite promising beginnings in our intimate relationships, we tend over time to evolve a system of communication that suppresses rather than reveals information. Life is complicated, and confirming or disconfirming the well-being of a relationship takes effort. Once we are comfortably coupled, the intense, energy-consuming monitoring of courtship days is replaced by a simpler, more efficient method. Unable to witness our partners’ every activity or verify every nuance of meaning, we evolve a communication system based on trust. We gradually cease our attentive probing, relying instead on familiar cues and signals to stand as testament to the strength of the bond: the words “I love you,” holidays with the family, good sex, special times with shared friends, the routine exchange, “How was your day?” We take these signals as representative of the relationship and turn our monitoring energies elsewhere.
...
Not only do the initiator’s negative signals tend to become incorporated into the existing routine, but, paradoxically, the initiator actively contributes to the impression that life goes on as usual. Even as they express their unhappiness, initiators work at emphasizing and maintaining the routine aspects of life with the other person, simultaneously giving signals that all is well. Unwilling to leave the relationship yet, they need to privately explore and evaluate the situation. The initiator thus contrives an appearance of participation,7 creating a protective cover that allows them to “return” if their alternative resources do not work out.
Our ability to do this—to perform a role we are no longer enthusiastically committed to—is one of our acquired talents. In all our encounters, we present ourselves to others in much the same way as actors do, tailoring our performance to the role we are assigned in a particular setting.8 Thus, communication is always distorted. We only give up fragments of what really occurs within us during that specific moment of communication.9 Such fragments are always selected and arranged so that there is seldom a faithful presentation of our inner reality. It is transformed, reduced, redirected, recomposed.10 Once we get the role perfected, we are able to play it whether we are in the mood to go on stage or not, simply by reproducing the signals.
What is true of all our encounters is, of course, true of intimate relationships. The nature of the intimate bond is especially hard to confirm or disconfirm.11 The signals produced by each partner, while acting out the partner role, tend to be interpreted by the other as the relationship.12 Because the costs of constantly checking out what the other person is feeling and doing are high, each partner is in a position to be duped and misled by the other.13 Thus, the initiator is able to keep up appearances that all is well by falsifying, tailoring, and manipulating signals to that effect. The normal routine can be used to attest to the presence of something that is not there. For example, initiators can continue the habit of saying, “I love you,” though the passion is gone. They can say, “I love you” and cover the fact that they feel disappointment or anger, or that they feel nothing at all. Or, they can say, “I love you” and mean, “I like you,” or, “We have been through a lot together,” or even “Today was a good day.”
3 likes
“Mourning is essential to uncoupling, as it is to any significant leavetaking. Uncoupling is a transition into a different lifestyle, a change of life course which, whether we recognize and admit it in the early phases or not, is going to be made without the other person. We commit ourselves to relationships expecting them to last, however. In leaving behind a significant person who shares a portion of our life, we experience a loss.” 2 likes