Two for the Dough (Stephanie Plum, #2)

Two for the Dough (Stephanie Plum #2)

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  94,190 ratings  ·  3,160 reviews
This one's double the fun!

Bounty hunter Stephanie Plum is still learning the ropes at her cousin Vinnie's bail bond office, so when she sets out on the trail of Kenny Mancuso - a suspiciously weatlhy, working class Trenton boy who has just shot his best friend - the stakes are higher than ever. That Mancuso is distantly related to vice cop Joe Morelli - who is trying to be...more
Published June 1996 by Penguin Books (first published January 1st 1991)

Can You Keep a Secret? by Sophie KinsellaBet Me by Jennifer CrusieMatch Me If You Can by Susan Elizabeth PhillipsNatural Born Charmer by Susan Elizabeth PhillipsNobody's Baby But Mine by Susan Elizabeth Phillips
Humorous Romance Books
37th out of 1,638 books — 3,686 voters
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas AdamsGood Omens by Terry PratchettLamb by Christopher MooreThe Princess Bride by William GoldmanA Dirty Job by Christopher Moore
Books that Make you Laugh
34th out of 2,124 books — 3,203 voters

More lists with this book...

Tilly Slaton
I love this book!

One for the Money, as great as this series is, really didn’t show you the potential of laughter to come.

Two for the Dough changes everything! The relationship between Stephanie and Morelli will leave you smiling. All of the wonderful little things in a relationship that bugs you, you’ll find in theirs. The awkward moments to the pitter patter wonder moments.

Grandma Mazur really steps on stage with her need to pay her respects to the dead. Skipping her feet to help her granddaugh...more
Patrick Gibson
It’s a world I am unfamiliar with—the world of Chic Lit (or, if you are over 18, I refer to as Clit Lit). Even though Janet Evanovich’s books take up at least three shelves at the local Barnes & Noble, I have never noticed. Probably because they are in the Mystery section which I pass through on my way to the Science Fiction wall. I don’t look to either side for fear of turning into a pillar of salt. But—(there is always a but) I am in a strange land under strange circumstances these days an...more
Meg ♥
Well I didn't really like the first book, but I decided to give this series one more chance. I really wanted to like it. The series is so popular and loved by almost all cozy readers, so maybe it's just me.

I don't know. I like the characters. They are fun. I love the idea of the series as well, but for some reason I can't get into the stories. The first book was slightly better than this one in my opinion.

I probably won't continue this series, but there really isn't anything bad I can say about...more
☆Brittany☆
Oct 11, 2007 ☆Brittany☆ rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who enjoys a good laugh!
Shelves: humor, mystery
I finished the second book of the Stephanie Plum series in about 3 days. Evanovich really knows how to make a reader keep turning the pages!

This book was just as good as the first one. Evanovich still had me chuckling.

I must say I was VERY excited to see that Joe Morelli was also in book 2. I thought he was going to be gone when book 1 finished. I was very happy to see he is a part of the cast of characters that is going to be sticking around. He is a great character, mysterious, sexy character...more
Tatiana
Feb 24, 2010 Tatiana rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Stephanie Plum fans
Recommended to Tatiana by: Heather
I think there is no need to rehash the synopsis of "Two for the Dough." All you need to know is that it is about military ammo, caskets, and severed body parts, all delivered with a unique burg flare. Otherwise the mystery (if it can even be called that) was unremarkable and never ended with a big revelation like you always expect mysteries to end. Basically, there was no real climax.

I liked this book slightly less than "One for the Money" and if I could, I'd rather give it 3.5 stars instead of...more
Liv.
Now Stephanie's back, armed with attitude -- not to mention stun guns, defense sprays, killer flashlights, and her trusty .38, Stephanie is after a new bail jumper, Kenny Mancuso, a boy from Trenton's burg. He's fresh out of the army, suspiciously wealthy, and he's just shot his best friend.

With her bounty hunter pal Ranger stepping in occasionally to advise her, Stephanie staggers kneedeep in corpses and caskets as she traipses through back streets, dark alleys, and funeral parlors.

And nobody k...more
Mike (the Paladin)
Personally driving a '53 Buick doesn't sound bad to me, and Steph manages to to end up in it a lot. She seems to destroy every car but this one. The best thing about these books is that they can be "fun". In this book Steph and her Grandma manage to to spend a lot of time in their Trenton neighborhood's primary social gathering place, Stiva's Funeral Home.

I'd say more but that would require a spoiler warning and you know how I hate those. (RIGHT)

Another book I listened to in my truck while at wo...more
Heather
I enjoyed One for the Money. The plot was entertaining, the setting was familiar in its otherness, and the characters were likable, well drawn and relatable. Furthermore, Stephanie Plum, the heroine, was rather humorous when remarking on the going’s on of the Berg and her family, and made me giggle at the situations she managed to find herself in. The pace was perfect for turning pages quickly, and before I knew it, I had completed the book. Naturally I wanted to keep reading, though I admit, I...more
Steph
I really enjoyed this book.

Kenny Mancuso has shot his old friend (Moogey) and has skipped bail, so Steph is out on the case to bring him in. Simple, right? Wrong!
Turns out Kenny is frickin bat-shit crazy.
He hurts, threatens and beats anyone who get's in his way (including old ladies, but more on that later), he cut his own damn finger off to see what would happen...
Honestly, he's a fruitcake!

The other 'bad guy' in this book is Spiro, who works in his dad's funeral home. Things go from bad...more
Eric_W
Evanovich is on a roll and her sequel to One for the Money, is Two for the Dough (guess what the third in the series is titled). It continues Stephanie’s career as a bounty hunter and is again populated with the same great characters. Joe Morelli, now back on the police force, is the old friend who keeps an eye on her, is probably in love with her, and can’t wait to check out her lingerie (the scene where she leaves him stranded in the middle of the street with no shorts on, then returns to give...more
Linda
I guess this is almost exactly like One for the money. Stephanie Plum still takes stupid decisions which turn out to me mistakes, which , somehow, unbelievingly, leads her on the right path. Quite charming!
Grandma Mazur has a rather big role and is funny to begin with, but she is getting to unbelievable and I soon became tired of her. What I liked was the mystery about the caskets and the relationship between Stephanie and Morelli, who in this book is rather harmless. The fact that Stephanie al...more
aPriL meows 'n growls TLDR
Stephanie Plum is the prototype for many Reality TV show personalities, excepting 'Catfish'. 'Dog the Bounty Hunter' would be a perfect fit; however, it's clear she'd not only take over as the star, she'd raise the show's acuity level into a type of comedy for which you don't need to consume a couple of beers to feel like laughing. 'Two for the Dough' was written in 1996, so it's safe to say she was first. She lives in Trenton, New Jersey, but the series obviously predates 'Jersey Shore', and it...more
Loederkoningin
May 18, 2011 Loederkoningin rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Skinny girls willing to gain pounds
WOOhOO! Stephanie ditched the spandex in this second installment of the Stephanie Plum novels, but still happily blunders on as a bounty hunter, ever short on money, always crashing cars. I must confess that these books are such fluffy reads that I already moved on to Three to get Deadly and - although it's only been days -find it hard to remember what Two for the Dough was all about. I remember another bail jumper in need of catching, one that put body parts - including a chopped off penis (I s...more
Barbara M.
5 Stars...I'm Loving this series!!!!!!

Oh my oh my oh my...I've found my new (expensive) addiction.

This book was so stinkin' funny! And you know it's good when you're on your back porch reading and all of a sudden you "ba ha ha ha" out of nowhere and it was loud enough to make you cover your mouth real quick and look around to see if anyone heard you laughing (and no, thank goodness, no one was outside at the time)....those of you that have read this will know which part I'm talking about. It's...more
Kasia
Stephanie is back and she is treading deep waters as her assignments get more hairy and dangerous. Catching drunks and senile ladies who live at the train station is one thing but it's a whole other animal when Stephanie is in charge of apprehending Kenny Mancuso, a man with a very sick sense of humor and lust for chopping off people's body parts. Most of the parts come from the nearby funeral home that he's terrorizing and Stephanie sees this as the perfect opportunity to bring her wake loving...more
Felicia
Bought for myself
Overall Rating 4.25
Story Rating 4.25
Character Rating 4.25
Audio Rating 3.75

NOTE: I am know I am one of the last people ever to start reading this series but better late than never right? It is as fun (so far) as people said. Stephanie Plum is one hot mess :)

Audio Review: C.J. Critt actually did a wonderful job with the narration. My problem was with the long pauses between chapters. I am guessing that it is because the book may have been recorded for cassette tape rendering.

Quick...more
David
Stephanie Plum is at it again. A bit more proficient and always able to get into trouble over and over again. Isn't it amazing that the bad guys are so obliging as to bounce back into her path over and over again?

In this series, Grandma is my favorite character. I get a real laugh out of her hobby (attending funeral home viewings) and her antics always are a good for a laugh.

Stephanie's love/hate relationship with Joe Morelli is always interesting as the two are always to trying to get the uppe...more
JG (The Introverted Reader)
Stephanie Plum is back and this time she's trying to hunt down Kenny Mancuso. Kenny shot one of his best friends in the knee and then returned later to finish the job. With the help of Morelli, Ranger, and the ever-loveable Grandma Mazur, maybe Stephanie can catch Kenny before Kenny catches her.

This book is just as fun and funny as the first of the series. Stephanie isn't a perfect heroine, but that's what makes her so appealing. And Morelli...what is there to say about Morelli? What a smokin' b...more
Mike
This is lightweight stuff -- modestly funny and easy to read. It struck me that there was no particular reason for this one to end. It felt as if Evanovich had decided that she had written enough pages and it was time to wrap it up. Had she desired, she could have had Stephanie continue to chase and be chased by the bad guy for several more chapters.

However, we all know that there are another 15 or so episodes to read, so that's a minor complaint.

I read these first two in the series because folk...more
Cute story overall, nice, easy read--although I put the book down for a few days and half forgot everything that had happened up to that point. Luckily, Stephanie Plum is quick to remind you of Morelli's drool-worthy physique and any random body parts that show up in her apartment. Evanovich has a great sense of humor and has some very creative ways to torture the unsuspecting guy (who totally deserves what's coming to him at the exact moment). I'm curious to see when Stephanie and Morelli are g...more
Mlle Pointillés
J'ADORE cette série!! ♥
Je me suis marrée tout le long du bouquin! =D

J'aime Stéphanie, qui a le chic pour se retrouver dans des situations improbables!
J'aime Mamie Mazur qui prend toute la mesure de son rôle dans ce tome, elle est juste excellente!!
J'aime Rex, qui est vraiment trop chou.
J'aime l'ambiance années 90, teintée de blousons en jean, grosses voitures et Doc Martens...Je suis FAN!
C'est très bon!! Et très drôle!!

Et Morelli me fait craquer...:)
Lili
he he he!
This is a very very funny series... I love Evanovich's writing, it's so easy to read and the humor behind the story is so silly.

I like Morelli, he doesn't have to take anything off to be HOT...I agree with some people on Stephanie being too stupid sometimes but I guess that's part of her appeal, I enjoy her foolish sense of humor.
Grandma Mazur is out of this world!, I think she's the best!
Misty
I hope this one is a little better than the first. I guess i will find out.

ok do This one has my attention more than the first. It was a little funnier i thought than the first one, Leaving a man in a morg. parking lot with a shirt sock and gun. haha. Now thats something that i would have to see. and lmao at. to funny. on to book three. see what Setphanie plum can get herself into now.
Shelley
I like how Stephanie is working her way through 90s fashion, having traded her oversized t-shirts and bike shorts for Doc Martens and flannel shirts. I also like her interactions with her family and Morelli, but I'm not super-into the crime stuff, so I'm not sure if I'll keep going with the series.
David Caldwell
The second in the Stephanie Plum mystery series.

Stephanie is still learning her new job as a bounty hunter. She is still having a hot/cold relationship with Joe Morelli. This time she is tasked with stopping a cousin of Joe when he fails to appear for his court date. She ends up tangled up in a case involving stolen Army weaponry and stolen caskets.Joe helps and hinders her at times. Grandma Mazur even lends a hand.

This series seems to be a train wreck waiting to happen. It can't decide whether...more
Alicia
This was my second reading of this book. I had forgotten a lot. I think this one's better than the first. Grandma Mazur's antics had me laughing out loud. Very entertaining.
Michelle Kelly
Laura Dragon
This series makes me literally laugh out loud and then I have to explain to my husband what is so funny.
Tracy
This book was funnier than the first one. The grandma really cracks me up.
J.W. Thompson
I read the entire series---she brought the characters to life in her books
Done with all the Stephanie Plum's 39 519 Jul 21, 2014 08:20PM
The Women's Myste...: #2 Two for the Dough 4 32 Jan 16, 2013 09:48PM
The # 1 New York Times Bestselling Author 4 40 Aug 20, 2012 06:44PM
Join in the discussions! 2 34 Mar 09, 2012 10:05PM
  • H is for Homicide (Kinsey Millhone, #8)
  • 3 Men and a Body (Body Movers, #3)
  • Curse of the Spellmans (The Spellmans, #2)
  • Unmanned (A Chrissy McMullen Mystery #4)
  • High Anxiety (Crazy, #3)
  • Lust, Loathing and a Little Lip Gloss (A Sophie Katz Murder Mystery #4)
  • Tough Cookie (A Goldy Bear Culinary Mystery, #9)
  • Lemon Meringue Pie Murder (Hannah Swensen, #4)
More about Janet Evanovich...
One for the Money (Stephanie Plum, #1) Three to Get Deadly (Stephanie Plum, #3) Four to Score (Stephanie Plum, #4) Hot Six (Stephanie Plum, #6) Seven Up (Stephanie Plum, #7)

“I ran three miles, staggered into the lobby, and took the elevator back to my apartment. No point to overdoing this exercise junk. --Stephanie Plum” 133 likes
“I know what you're thinking," Grandma said into the silence. "Do I have anymore bullets in this here gun? Well, with all the confusion, what with being locked up in a refrigerator, I plumb forgot what was in here to start with. But being that this is a 45 magnum, the most powerful handgun in existence, and it could blow your head clean off, you just got to ask yourself one question. Do you feel lucky today? Well, do you, punk?"

Christ," Spiro whispered. "She thinks she's f**king Clint Eastwood.”
78 likes