Start by marking “Private Dicks (Private Dicks, #1)” as Want to Read:
Private Dicks (Private Dicks, #1)

Private Dicks (Private Dicks #1)

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  1,135 ratings  ·  105 reviews
Ex-cop Isaac Rhodes is a tough and intimidating private investigator with a talent for kicking in doors and knocking bail jumpers' heads together. His only soft spot is for his partner, Nate Washington—though Wash makes him anything but soft. He's silently lusted after Wash for a year, until his desire drives him to finally come out to his partner.

This confession leads to
Published April 24th 2009 by Ellora's Cave

To ask other readers questions about Private Dicks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Private Dicks

Cut & Run by Abigail RouxSticks & Stones by Abigail RouxFish & Chips by Abigail RouxFaith & Fidelity by Tere MichaelsDivide & Conquer by Abigail Roux
Best Gay Cops/ Security Guards/P.I.'s
49th out of 575 books — 901 voters
Cut & Run by Abigail RouxZero at the Bone by Jane SevilleHot Head by Damon SuedeFaith & Fidelity by Tere MichaelsPromises by Marie Sexton
Favorite Gay Couples
161st out of 1,819 books — 2,387 voters

More lists with this book...

julio
Mar 09, 2014 julio rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to julio by: MostlyDelores
Dafuq don't I hate this?

Despite the horribly corny characters, comically inaccurate setting, and painfully cliche plot—I find myself unable to rate this less than three stars. I figure it's because the first third was almost unbelievably hot.

Seriously.

Like, nipple-nubblingly, rectum-spasmingly, genital-swellingly hawwwwwt.

Outstanding.
Vio
A great friendship/partnership here, Rhodes and Wash's wisecracking investigative skills were hilarious and always entertaining. Riveting detective work its really good and captured my interest straight away we need more of this in m/m romance books. Total hotness loved the relationship and the wonderful smouldering passion. Yep I am in love with this couple!
Heller
I love cop stories. This has an ex-cop turned Private Investigator Issac Rhodes and his boss/partner P.I. Nate Washington.

This is horrible but I put off reading this one because of the cheesy title. I know, play on words, but it just made me roll my eyes a bit. My desire to read all the cop stories I can find drove me to finally dive in and I smacked myself for waiting so long to read this, because it was so good! If, like me, the title is holding you back from reading this book I have you tell
R.J.
Given the title and cover you'd be mistaken thinking this was a PWP. It's not. It's freaking perfect!!!

Think about this:

Two hot MC's? Check
A crimey type plot? Check
Enough sex to cover the storyline without going overboard? Check
Just a hint of angsty romance? Check
Humour to boot? Check and double check.

Fantastic!! I loved both MC's immensely, especially Wash coz he was unapologetic with everyone. I didn't like what he did to Isaac initially but he made up for it in the end. Poor Isaac was a bi
LauraZu
I'm in love with Rhodes and Wash! Loved this story!

Isaac Rhodes a.k.a. Rhodie, is an ex-cop, he's hot, tough, intimidating and is now a Private investigator. He's a sexy rough machine with a soft spot for kids in bad situations and his straight parter Nate Washington. He has been lusting after Wash for a year now and doesn't know what to do about it, till he outs himself, takes a case for free to find a kidnapped 14year old boy and goes to a gay club with Wash. Well, let's just say this story is
SheReadsALot
I really liked this story. The length and theme was pretty great. It was lightly angsty without going into overly dramatic. You could feel Rhodes longing for his partner Wash. My only gripe with Wash was that he got too chatty at times. There was a scene where I did not feel he needed to explain himself or his partner who is gay to a bigoted cop. I did not think the story was bombarded with too many sex scenes as some other readers complained about. I actually thought they fit with the story. Al ...more
Isabel
Interesting, hot and funny... I loved it!
Ami
Jenre
Very fun and enjoyable friends/partners to lovers romance. Really liked the two leads, especially the teasing banter between them and the smoking hot sexual chemistry. The mystery works out quickly and quite easily but as the focus is on the developing relationship between the heroes, then I didn't mind that so much. Overall a great read which is perfect when you want something light but well written.

I'm looking forward to reading Trevor's story now!
Chris
Nov 19, 2011 Chris rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: orannia
4.5 stars. Very good m/m romantic suspense about a former cop, now working as a PI, who finally comes out to his straight investigative partner. There's just something about Rhodes and Wash - this is the third fourth time I've read the book. :)
Alina
Marvelous book!
I liked the characters alot, Rhodes' my favotite, but Wash's a close second :) Loved their friendly bickering and their easy joking and loved the raw relationship they've began to develop! The detective part of the story's captivating too.
I also liked, that it wasn't strictly 'gay-for-you' (cliche, which I find hard to believe), but the whole thing with Wash's sexuality was done very convincing.
There wasn't a lot of sex, but in this case it seemed like a right amount and it's well
J.L. Merrow
Had this on my tbr pile for so long I can't even remember what prompted me to get it back in the mists of time. Absolutely loved it. The two main characters were warm, funny and frustratingly real - it's a real feel-good read. The end was a little saccharin for my tastes but I can live with that.
Off to check out more of Ms Allen's books.
Bubbles  Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions
uh it was ok glad it was short (view spoiler)
Don Bradshaw
Reviewed on Hearts On Fire... http://heartsonfirereviews.com/

I loved this fun mystery story and it's wise cracking detectives. Isaac Rhodes is an ex-cop who was pretty much kicked off the force for being gay. He and Nate Washington now have their own private investigation firm. A teenage boy stops into their offices one day and asks them to find his missing brother. Being soft touches to a poor kid, they agree to take the case pro bono. Detective Gomez asks Rhodes and Wash to quietly dig into a
Alex is The Romance Fox
Private Dicks by Katie Allen
Book Blurb: Ex-cop Isaac Rhodes is a tough and intimidating private investigator with a talent for kicking in doors and knocking bail jumpers' heads together. His only soft spot is for his partner, Nate Washington-though Wash makes him anything but soft. He's silently lusted after Wash for a year, until his desire drives him to finally come out to his partner. This confession leads to Wash admitting a few secrets of his own, unleashing needs that result in hot, sweaty
ElaineY
3 1/2 stars.
Enjoyed this somewhat except towards the latter part, the villain suddenly became caricaturish. I was expecting there to be a more long drawn-out tussle over Wash's fear of the repercussions and consequences of coming out but whatever anxieties he had were shortlived. I'm not sure if I'm relieved or feel the author merely gave lip-service to Wash's fear.

I also felt Rhodes was being overly-sensitive and his backing off unjustified especially when Wash made no bones about being attract
JustJen "Miss Conduct"
This was a hot, sometimes steamy, story about Rhodes and Washington, who run a PI business together. They come out to each other, discover their mutual feelings, fight the attraction, not wanting to ruin their current working partnership, fight, pick on each other and have hot sex, all while working and somewhat going undercover to locate a missing boy they suspect is being sold into sexual slavery. The guys are funny, sexy and sweet, and I enjoyed this story from beginning to end.
Susan65
This was a hot little story about two private eye's doing pro bono work looking for a missing 14 year old boy. There is just a bit of angst, a lot of humor and quick wit, as well as some really hot sex scenes. Rhodes and Wash are really great together and I can't wait to read the follow up story.
MostlyDelores
Love it. LOVE. IT. Smart, funny, romantic, dangerous. One of my absolute favourites. Re-read more than once.
Kelly H. (Maybedog)
I'm not sure how to rate this one. It was well written. The relationships were fine. I loved the characters. The plot wasn't original but it was interesting. There was some creativity working with the plot. It was very sweet. But that's really all I came away with. That it was sweet. There wasn't a whole lot more there.

I felt a lot of discomfort around how the MCs intereacted and where Trevor played into it. It was probably moderately realistic in many ways, but it still was awkward for me and I
Kaetrin
4.5 stars.

Why I read it: There was a sale at ARe and there was my wishlist. Goodreads recommendations are bad for my wallet. Enough said.

What it's about: (from Goodreads) Ex-cop Isaac Rhodes is a tough and intimidating private investigator with a talent for kicking in doors and knocking bail jumpers' heads together. His only soft spot is for his partner, Nate Washington—though Wash makes him anything but soft. He's silently lusted after Wash for a year, until his desire drives him to finally c
Candice
4.5 Stars

I absolutely LOVED this book! I loved the partnership/friendship between Rhodie and Wash. I would have liked to have seen more of that--like how it started.

I loved how Rhodie came out to Wash. I loved how tentative Wash was at first, because he's right...sex "fucks up everything". I could totally see his side of things and could not fault him.

The two of them together...EXPLOSIVE!

hot gif photo:  hot.gif

This book was exactly what I needed and it rocked my socks off. It was funny, thrilling, HOT!, and all aroun
Mariya
DNF, BTD=BORED TO DEATH
Julia
I'm not really sure about this one. There's nothing wrong with it, and, God knows I love every category I'd put this one in. There's nothing off about the writing style, the dialog is pretty good, likable characters...I should've really loved it but I didn't. It just didn't grab me. There are places where the plot gets a little over the top with the case they're working on, but other than that, it's pretty well written. I do like the characters enough to give a sequel a read and I'd try this aut ...more
DaisyGirl
3.0 Stars

Rhodes and Wash. Jeez but these guys gave me grief. And not in a my-emo-is-doing-a-happy-dance sorta way. The problem IMO was Wash's I'm-gay-for-you-but-I-will-be-a-total-jerk-off-about-it 'tude. His hot-cold/push-pull/jealous-GTFO gave me whiplash. Seriously. And, Rhodes kept coming back for more.

Bottom line: Wash's vacillation gave me rash.
Lesson learned: too many GFY stories in one weekend makes Daisy grouchy.
MsMiz (Tina)
Lent to me through Kindle.

More like 3.5 - 3.7 stars

This was great fun - how can you not love Rhodes and Wash? Rhodes the tough ex-cop and his smart mouth partner. They are both private detectives who end up on a case of kid selling. So really good dialog, good crime fighting 'stuff' and some really hot times!
Fernanda Parente
can't wait for the sequel
Tam
I read this after everyone was raving about the sequel. Rhodie is a former cop (more or less forced out after he is outed) who works with Wash as a PI. (They have first names but I’m not sure what they are. LOL) He’s had a crush on Wash forever but he’s straight. One night he finally confesses he’s gay which doesn’t go down well at first, but eventually things settle down and Wash confesses he’s not exactly straight either. Hmmmm. Meanwhile a young teen comes and asks them for help finding his 1 ...more
Sean
I really like this book a lot. I don't know if I should rate it as a five star because I have read a better book that is well deserving 5 stars. This book is wonderful. I love the raw relationship between Rhodes and Wash. Wash is my favorite character in the story because of his odd sense of humors. I'd love to learn more about them together. Did they really successful as a partner (as in love partner) while working together?

Oh, the way Rhodes came out closet has to be one of my favorite ways.
Luisa
Ok...where do I start? Maybe my problem was that I read the blurb and I thought this was going to be something exciting to read, a story that I was going to love...but I didn't love it.

For me, the story was all over the place. The case was irrelevant and the conflict was not really a conflict. Wash says that they should not have sex again because they work together (although that was not the real reason). Still, he continued having sex with Rhodie. And Rhodie thought to himself he didn't want to
  • Like Coffee and Doughnuts (Dino Martini Mysteries, #1)
  • Hard Fall (Deputy Joe, #1)
  • Breaking Logan's Laws (Quinn Security, #4)
  • Private Eye (Liaisons #1)
  • Houseboat on the Nile (Spy vs. Spook, #1)
  • Hidden Force (Tennessee Cops, #1)
  • Unspeakable Words
  • Mexican Heat (Crimes & Cocktails, #1)
  • The Elegant Corpse
  • Breaking Cover (Life Lessons, #2)
  • Fireman's Carry (Carry Me, #1)
  • Bring The Heat
  • Deadly Nightshade (Deadly Mystery, #1)
  • Catch Me If You Can (Romano and Albright, #1)
  • The Long Way Home
  • Cover Me (Cover Me, #1)
  • Dangerous Ground (Dangerous Ground, #1)
1979165
Katie Allen grew up in the Midwest with a horde of sisters (five) and one beleaguered brother. After an enjoyable four years working on her creative writing/art degree, and two not-so-pleasant years struggling towards her MBA, Katie somehow ended up as a mechanical engineer in Denver, Colorado.

When she's not writing or working to pay for her unfortunate equine addiction, Katie rides horses, reads
More about Katie Allen...

Private Dicks (2 books)
  • Hide Out (Private Dicks, #2)
One-Two Punch Hide Out (Private Dicks, #2) Breaking the Silence Chasing Her Tail Experimenting with Ed (Human Design, #1)

“You're gay," wash stated.

Rhodes nodded, a short jerk of his head, dropping his gaze to his beer.

"As in, you-like-men gay."

Still eying his beer, Rhodes gave an affirmative shrug.

"As in, you like-to-fuck-men gay."

"Yes!”
6 likes
“Every time I jerked off over the past few days, I thought about you. Forget the chicks—I’m going with the dicks. Well,” he made a face, “one dick, I mean. My own private dick. Start off slow, you know, and then build up to the orgies.”

Rhodes brought his lips down onto Wash’s smiling mouth. “My dick,” Rhodes growled against the curve of Wash’s lips. “And my dick only. Remember that.”
3 likes