Leprechauns and Irish Folklore (Magic Tree House Research Guide, #21)

Leprechauns and Irish Folklore (Magic Tree House Fact Tracker #21)

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  238 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Magic Tree House Research Guides are now Magic Tree House Fact Trackers! Track the facts with Jack and Annie!

When Jack and Annie got back from their adventure inMagic Tree House #43: Leprechaun in Late Winter,they had lots of questions. What are leprechauns? How do we know many of the old Irish stories? How do fairies spend their time? Who speaks the Irish language? Find o...more
Published January 25th 2012 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published January 12th 2010)

Michael
Who needs a story written ABOUT some of the best stories ever? Why not just enjoy Irish folklore? Revel in the playful, and sometimes not so playful, deeds of the wee folk, whether meeting to dance beneath the stars, tearing apart houses that were built on fairy roads, or spiriting away their little hoards of gold. Learn how to find that gold, how to lift a fairy spell, and what it means when a Banshee wails outside your window.
Claudia Magana-magana
Focusing on the tales of Leprechauns, I paired this book with "The Night Before St. Patrick's Day" by Natasha Wing. In the fiction book, Tim and Maureen try to capture a leprechaun with various traps. Tim and Maureen placed a coin at the end of each trap. In my nonfiction selection, leprechauns are revealed to be bankers. Leprechauns love their gold and they always keep it hidden. The author informs the reader that leprechauns are very tricky fairies. In "The Night Before St. Patrick's Day", Tim...more
Tamara
Pretty fun little at-a-glance summary of Irish fairy lore. Definitely written for kids, but fun for anyone - especially around St. Patrick's day.
Dolly
Mar 19, 2011 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
We've read several of the non-fiction companion Research Guides and so far our girls have enjoyed them. I thought they'd really like this one, too (after all, it is about fairies and our oldest is fairy-crazy), but our oldest in particular was quite reluctant to listen to me read it. I think that she had another book in mind for me to read, but still, I thought it would be fun to read this book for St. Patrick's Day. We were able to finish this book in two readings, which is a bit fast for us, b...more
I enjoyed this book and feel that it is good introduction for kids to Irish folklore. I think it's great that it is created as a companion for the book Leprechauns in Late Winter. If a child is reading a Magic Tree House story and has questions about subjects mentioned like, "What are leprechauns,ballybogs or banshees?" then they can turn to this for information. It is written in simple language easily understandable to young kids.
Katie
A nice intro to Irish folklore for young children. Kids who are already fans of the Magic Tree House series will have an automatic in, but it's suitable for kids who are just interested in learning more about this specific subject, too. I liked it. It wasn't super compelling for an adult, but it's a great resource for its target age range.
Payton
There are a bunch of myths about fairies.
Sydney
leprechauns hide their gold at the end of the rainbow but nobody can ever reach the end of the rainbow.
Lori
Children's nonfiction books sometimes provides the best information about a topic. I'm researching fairies and folklore for my novel. This is a fun read about fairies and stories in Ireland. Did you know that a leprechaun is a solitary fairy?
Blaine Nielsen
this research guide toks a bout the irish peaple and how irlind came to be and a bout ther story of leprechauns fres and ather strag thing and a bout wat the fers wod do if the peaple made them mad.
Steve
I really like this book becoues of all the old Ieresr foke tale's that the book tould. I don't really like how the feres in the stores acht if some one mess with them or there tree's.
Mary
This is described as a non-fiction companion book. Yet it really is folklore. I don't know if children will know the difference. If they don't, they are going to be really scared.
Mary
Another very interesting read. It talked about the Irish belief in fairies and how leprechauns are actually fairies who hide gold and are very tricky. It talks about Irish Folklore.
Amy Burch
A great book to read to a class around St. Patrick's Day. It talks about hte history of Ireland and it's folklore on fairys and leprechauns. Kids would love this book.
Kelly Benson
Some of my children prefer non fiction books so these research guides are perfect for that. Interesting and well thought out. Made my youngest wan to learn more.
Brooke
What I like most about this book is the history and background it provides for Leprechaun in Late Winter. Excellent book!
Banana
May 16, 2013 Banana added it
I actually read the Clan and the Crithus by Sam Leckey but it is not on good reads
Beverly
Interesting facts and well-drawn black and white illustrations.
Theresa
where did they get the information for the books
PWRL
Jan 23, 2012 PWRL marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012-new
A
Hannah Eldridge
Hannah Eldridge marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
Sarah Lamary
Sarah Lamary marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
pessimisticqueen
pessimisticqueen marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Heidi
Heidi marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
Maren
Maren marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2014
Colleen
Colleen marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2014
  • Rain Forests (Magic Tree House Research Guide, #5)
  • The Riddle Of Zorfendorf Castle (The Secrets Of Droon #25)
  • Noodle (The Puppy Place, #11)
  • Mummies Made in Egypt
  • Who Was Ben Franklin?
  • Treasures from Grandma (Grandma's Attic, #4)
  • Who Was George Washington?
  • Officer Spence Makes No Sense! (My Weird School Daze #5)
  • Cam Jansen and the Mystery of the Babe Ruth Baseball (Cam Jansen Mysteries, #6)
  • Class Trip to the Cave of Doom (Dragon Slayers' Academy, #3)
  • Junie B., First Grader: Turkeys We Have Loved and Eaten (and Other Thankful Stuff) (Junie B. Jones, #28)
  • Shipwreck on the Pirate Islands (Geronimo Stilton, #18)
More about Mary Pope Osborne...
Dinosaurs Before Dark (Magic Tree House, #1) The Knight at Dawn (Magic Tree House, #2) Mummies in the Morning (Magic Tree House, #3) Pirates Past Noon (Magic Tree House, #4) Night of the Ninjas (Magic Tree House, #5)