Start by marking “Strip Mauled” as Want to Read:
Strip Mauled

Strip Mauled (Supernatural Suburbia)

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  150 ratings  ·  28 reviews
The Follow-Up to Witch Way to the Mall from the Creator of the Chicks in Chainmail Series. It’s the Werewolves’ Turn to Howl Across the Well-Kept Lawns and Neat Picket Fences of Supernatural Suburbia. Werewolves and the suburbs are a natural go-together. Okay, so they’re not the Obligatory/Iconic Suburban Golden Retriever or Chocolate Labrador, but they’ve got a much bette ...more
Published September 28th 2009 by Baen

To ask other readers questions about Strip Mauled, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Strip Mauled

Cissa
This is one of the best collections I've read recently. Most of the stories were very good, and there were some cool twists on the whole werewolf thing: the guy who was not a werewolf, yet who the weres thought was, so he got a job on a werewolf company and a house in a werewolf suburb, but didn't quite fit in...; and the one where a werewolf girl finds True Love at a furry convention- these were 2 of the standouts. Oh, and Jim Hine's truly peverse take on children's TV. Very fun stuff!
S.J. Bell
"Alas, poor werewolves," writes Esther Friesner in the introduction to Strip Mauled. "Forever doomed to be Avis to the vampire's unassailable fang-hold on Hertz, Pepsi to their Coke, Burger King to their McDonalds!" To which LupLun replies, "Where you been? Antarctica?"

I shouldn't be mean. Strip Mauled was published in 2009, meaning that said intro was probably penned in 2008. At which point, yes, the bloodsuckers did rule the roost. But, the wheel turns. Over the past two years, we've seen two
Lindsey Duncan
Part of a series of anthologies set in suburbia, each looking at the trials and tribulations of a particular brand of supernatural species (or occupation, in the case of the witches), Strip Mauled is the werewolf part of this set. Unfortunately, while most of the stories have humorous moments and are at least worth a smile, most of the authors in turn sacrifice tension and interest in favor of levity. Sometimes, it's hard to suspend disbelief; other times, it's hard to care. When the characters ...more
Julia
This is twenty short stories about werewolves in suburbia, most of them intending to be funny. But the problem is, twenty short stories is just too, too many. I would have preferred ten or fifteen stories that may (or may not) have been longer. “Enforcement Claws” by Steven Piziks is about a suburb with a very strict Home Owner’s Association, that while it allows werewolves, zombies and witches, it doesn’t allow for “mixing phyla” until the president of the HOA’s son (she's a werewolf) comes out ...more
I'd seen this book before at Barnes and Noble but hadn't been in the mood for short stories. The first week of school, however, is challenging; I didn't think I could remember longer storylines with the pressure.

In general, I like the collections that Esther M. Friesner edits. In this grouping, three stories particularly tickled my fancy while two left me confused.

I may re-read the whole collection later but, right now, I'm keeping the book for the three stand-outs. I'm recommending those storie
Sandra
This is a great collection of stories written with wit and humor and just a touch of sass. Really great read.
Janika
As with most anthologies, some stories were better than others, and I skipped the last one as I'm really not a fan of reading fiction written as if it was a drama script, but overall I enjoyed this collection.

I am glad however that I did read the first anthology in this series first, even though it arrived in the post after this and the third, as some of the stories picked up from where previous stories had left off. I enjoy it, generally, but it makes it important to start reading with the firs
Spring Holbrook
I'm not really a werewolf fan, so I was pretty surprised by how entertaining I found all the stories in this compilation. Much like the Chicks in Chainmail series, there were some repeat authors between this volume and Witch Way to the Mall? which is cool, and also encourages me to re-read that one.

This is good humorous reading for fans of werewolves in particular or the supernatural in general.
Annie
I like anything edited by Esther Friesner, and I enjoyed most of these werewolf stories. I found Enforcement Claws hilarious, and Frijoles for Fenris was also great. I had trouble getting into the last story, the Creature in Your Neighborhood. It was strange, which is okay, but it didn't fit in with the other stories. I am looking for other compilations edited by Esther Friesner.
Connie Lynne
Esther M. Friesner is not an excellent comedic writer; she's a mediocre one who's occasionally good. She usually is a great editor of comedy, however. This book read more like a collection of stuff written by her than stuff edited by her. The title metaphor was tortured at times, and the comedy was broad and sophomoric.

CuriousLibrarian
This is a 3.5 from me.

I found this to be a stronger pack (*grin*) of stories than the witch compilation. Maybe because werewolves are not as over-mined as witches and vampires (have not yet read the vampire collection).

Nice escapist stories of werewolves in the suburbs. Always enjoy Esther as an editor.
Caeric Arclight
Anthologies are a dicey lot to try and give a single rating. While there was one five-star story and one or two four-star tales, most of stories were just kind-of there. Not bad but not really unique or funny enough to stand out. On the plus side...hey, werewolves rock and even a bad werewolf story is still good.
Blake
I like Esther Friesner's other books (the barbarian adventurer ones), but the werewolf angle didn't really grab me except for the ones that made me laugh. I guess I'm just not much for werewolves (same goes for vampires, except for Buffy of course...they just seem like too much of the same thing).
Bruce
Excellent collection. Even the worst of the stories is not time wasted. Excellent expression of proper disrespect for society. Some of the stories come close to master status. Best of the genre I have read since Dickson.
Nola
As is standard with a collection of stories based on a theme - some of the stories were good and some were better. On the whole, an enjoyable collection, with a couple of interesting twists on the theme of malls and werewolves.
Jessica Welch
So much fun and a great variety of short stories. I have to admit that the one with the furries might be my most favorite just because of the extreme ridiculousness but still well written.
Sue Lyssa Stone Shaffer
I giggled & I grinned, I guffawed & laughed out loud. This collection of stories is a riot! These images created dreams, funny moving dreams that delighted my mind & spirit.
Jamie Zalot
I'm not usually a fan of short story anthologies but this had me howling.. I know bad pun. If you like great werewolf stories a great read.
Mark
Most of the stories are not particularly good, though several are entertaining and Jim C. Hines story is fantastic.
Angela
A great collection of short stories that contain werewolves in some form or fashion. A very enjoyable read.
Karen
A lovely funny collection of short stories about werewolves in suburbia - Esther does it again.
John
Not nearly as good as Friesner's original short story compilation Chicks 'n Chainmail.
Aleis
The last story is just too much and totaly made this book for me.
Ron
Good collection of stories. As in every collection YMMV.
Ralph
Some of the stories were good, others disapointing.
Fred
Some pretty poor stuff in this.
Ch J Loveall
pg diff because of binding
Alicia
Jul 10, 2010 Alicia is currently reading it
okay....bunch of short stories rolled into one book
Jolene gregel
Jolene gregel marked it as to-read
May 31, 2015
Mike Steinberg
Mike Steinberg marked it as to-read
May 31, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Witch High
  • Imaginary Friends
  • The Beastly Bride: Tales of the Animal People
  • The End of the Line: An Anthology of Underground Horror
  • Curse of the Full Moon: A Werewolf Anthology
  • Enchanted Forests
  • Dreaming Again: Thirty-five New Stories Celebrating the Wild Side of Australian Fiction
  • The Ultimate Werewolf
  • Dragonne's Eg (Pigs Don't Fly, #4)
  • The Ancestors
  • Vegas Bites: A Werewolf Romance Anthology
  • Women of Wonder, the Contemporary Years: Science Fiction by Women from the 1970s to the 1990s
  • The Mammoth Book of Wolf Men
  • Wings of Fire
  • Blood for the Blood God (Warhammer)
Esther M. Friesner was educated at Vassar College, where she completed B.A's in both Spanish and Drama. She went to on to Yale University; within five years she was awarded an M.A. and Ph.D. in Spanish. She taught Spanish at Yale for a number of years before going on to become a full-time author of fantasy and science fiction. She has published twenty-seven novels so far; her most recent titles in ...more
More about Esther M. Friesner...

Supernatural Suburbia (3 books)
  • Witch Way to the Mall
  • Fangs for the Mammaries
Nobody's Princess (Nobody's Princess, #1) Nobody's Prize (Nobody's Princess, #2) Sphinx's Princess (Sphinx's Princess, #1) Sphinx's Queen (Sphinx's Princess, #2) Chicks in Chainmail (Chicks in Chainmail, #1)