Start by marking “The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane” as Want to Read:
The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane

The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane

4.34  ·  Rating Details ·  56,277 Ratings  ·  7,105 Reviews
Edward Tulane, a cold-hearted and proud china rabbit, loves only himself until he is separated from the little girl who adores him and travels across the country, acquiring new owners and listening to their hopes, dreams, and histories.
Published June 2nd 2008 by Walker Books Ltd (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane, please sign up.

Jim Sibigtroth The china rabbit and china dolls in this story are unable to affect humans in any way other than to act as objects of comfort, so I suspect it would…moreThe china rabbit and china dolls in this story are unable to affect humans in any way other than to act as objects of comfort, so I suspect it would be a good story for you. It might even reassure you that china dolls do not pose any threat to you.

On the other hand, if your fear is based on a suspicion that the china dolls are secretly able to see and hear you, you might not like it.(less)

Lola  Reviewer
I haven’t read a novel I absolutely loved from the very first sentence in a long time. I always say I have, probably because I want to believe that (and anyway, we all do it), but not every book is great and not every great book is exceptional. I want exceptional. Give me exceptional.

Kate DiCamillo’s The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane is just that. It tells the story of little china bunny Edward Tulane who knows not what love means. He is loved by a little girl, and yet, he doesn’t care. H
Lizzie
Jun 26, 2007 Lizzie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children, people who have/work with children, people looking for ways to explain the selfless love
Shelves: childrensrereads
I looked forward to reading this book because, as the review on goodreads of Edward Tulane says, Kate DiCamillo is an incomparable children's author, and I have loved and cried over The Tale of Despereaux and The Tiger Rising in the middle of the Borders Cafe before. Edward's journey is miraculous in that the little china rabbit from which the book gets its name learns to love out of his many losses, which starts with losing his straw hat and ends with losing his hardened heart. Take the velvete ...more
KristenR
What a beautiful story. I read it with my 8 year old daughter and more than once it brought a tear to my eye. It is the story of Edward Tulane, the china rabbit, who while passing from owner to owner (companions really, as he comes to love them) endures great love and great tragedy. He learns that no matter what happens in life it is most important to open your heart....let yourself love and be loved.
Kelly
Feb 04, 2013 Kelly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, 21st-century
I was just trapped underground on a backed up metro train for an hour. Never have I minded, or noticed, a terrible commute less.
Erin
Dec 30, 2008 Erin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Well-written, beautiful, and somber. This is the story of a china rabbit who learns the true meaning of love. I read this book out loud to my class and truly enjoyed the masterful way that Kate DiCamillo crafts a story. Her word choice and sentence fluency found its way into my writing lesson plans to illustrate some of the possibilities waiting to be found in words.

Would I read it aloud again? Perhaps with older students. My class LOVED this story but it was sad, extremely sad in places. I fou
Roya
Jul 02, 2015 Roya rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: quite-good, favourite
You'd think I wouldn't cry after the third read, but all I can say is that I'm glad I skipped the eye makeup today...
Eve
Aug 24, 2008 Eve rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This story reminded me of "The Velveteen Rabbit". A little less magical, perhaps, but I appreciated the story of a rabbit who, instead of starting out full of love, learns to love and be loved until at the end of the story, he comes full circle. Easy reading, and could be a good one for reading out loud.
Debbie Zapata
Oct 14, 2015 Debbie Zapata rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: saturday
I think this book is stunning. It tells the story of a china rabbit named Edward, who is nothing more than a toy in the beginning. A much-loved toy, but he doesn't seem capable of any feeling himself, other than annoyance when he is not treated as he thinks he deserves to be treated. I really did not like Edward at first, he was just so cold-hearted!

But this book is about growth. The journey is both actual and metaphysical. During his wanderings Edward has many experiences which teach him about
Sylvia
Jul 13, 2011 Sylvia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When a friend told me she was reading this book with her 3 and 5 year old kids, I immediately questioned whether they found it too sad. I purchased this book soon after its initial publication and had read it myself at that time. My recollection was that it brought me to tears, and as I have two quite sensitive little boys, I was hesitant to introduce this one to them. Inspired by my friends successful reading of it with her two (slightly) younger children, I bravely undertook this venture - for ...more
Greg
While sitting in Washington Square Park reading my Moomins novel while on a mini-lunch break I wondered about the recurring use of sadness and melancholy in the book. Do American children books usually refer to the the joys of a sweet melancholy feeling at the lose of something good that will never return? How do children relate to depressed characters? Do they even notice it? Why aren't more children books filled with melancholy, and not in a humorous way? While the sun beat down on my bench, a ...more
Bach Tran Quang
Feb 03, 2015 Bach Tran Quang rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Những hôm nào mệt mỏi, ốm, căng thẳng tôi sẽ lôi trong tủ sách của mình ra một cuốn sách dành cho thiếu nhi để đọc. Nhân cái dịp ốm này, tôi lấy Edward Tulane ra khỏi nơi cất giấu - tôi mua chú vào một ngày tôi lượn sách cũ, trong đầu cũng nắm được một chút thông tin là cuốn này đã đi vào hồi tuyệt diệt (sau tái bản, hồi đấy hot còn vì có cái phim bỏ mẹ gì của Hàn Quốc có thằng cu đẹp giai nằm đọc trên giường cuốn này BÌA CỨNG T_T)

Nói chung tôi đã sai lầm. Sai lầm lớn nhất là bây giờ mới đọc câu
Winna
My first DiCamillo read.
I was blown away.

I thought this was a simple story about love. I was wrong about it being simple, because it showed how complicated life and love really were. It was touching, it was classic, it was.. very heartbreaking.

The first book to get me teary-eyed one of these days.

I love it.
Amy
Jan 30, 2008 Amy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-favorites
I have to say that I am quite fond of Kate DiCamillo's writing, and Maggie and I very much enjoyed reading this book together. Oh, but it was exquisitely and simultaneously joyful and sad. Maggie even asked me later last night, after we had finished the book and she was getting ready to brush her teeth, "Why do people write about sad things, Mom?" Ah - innocence slips away in small parcels. Then again, when I read her The Velveteen Rabbit, B actually came running into the room to find out what w ...more
lita
Dec 25, 2009 lita rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novel-english
I moved this review to my blog
Cami
May 19, 2009 Cami rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Jessica, Rachel, Jeanna,
A miraculous journey, indeed.
I just finished the audio version and my second time through this modern parable about learning to love.
Below is my original review and it still stands.

I can be quite a senimental sap at times and I have not cried this hard for joys mingled with regrets since The Last Battle by C.S. LewisThe Chronicles of Narnia.
I read this book aloud with my 7 yr old son. I think Kate DiCamillo is a special writer because she can write about china rabbits being loved by little girls
mai ahmd
قصصت هذه القصة على أحد الأطفال
ووجدت كل انتباهه معي منذ البداية وحتى النهاية
وهو مالم يحدث منذ وقت طويل

Shaun
I first read a library copy of this book several years ago to my oldest son, after it was recommended to me by my sister-in-law and having previously read Kate DiCamillo's Mercy Watson series for beginning readers as well as The Tale of Despereaux.

Recently, I picked up a copy of this book along with The Magician's Elephant, yet another gem by the same author, to have at home for the kiddos.

In between books, I decided to re-read The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane while doing my morning walk
Robin Hobb
Dec 21, 2013 Robin Hobb rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the harrowing tale of a china rabbit doll who is separated from his young owner and undergoes a series of harrowing adventures over a number of years before finding a happy resolution.

Left to myself, I would put it alongside Black Beauty or Lassie Come Home, tales of animals who endure extended abuse, hardship and/or neglect before being reunited with owners who love them.

When I read those stories in my distant youth, they spoke to me. Now, I fear, if I re-read them, I might suspect tha
Van
Nov 05, 2015 Van rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nhân vật chính là chú thỏ sứ đồ chơi tuyệt đẹp, bằng những trải nghiệm và biến đổi tinh tế trong tình cảm và suy nghĩ đã dẫn dắt người đọc qua hành trình đầy cảm động đi tìm tình yêu - khởi đầu từ việc chỉ biết nhận tình yêu từ người khác và coi đó là hiển nhiên tất yếu, đến lúc mất rồi mới bắt đầu thấy quý giá, bắt đầu học lắng nghe và quan tâm, buồn khổ khi phải rời xa người thân yêu mà không thể nói lời tạm biệt, mở rộng trái tim với những người xa lạ, cảm giác bất lực khi không thể giúp đỡ n ...more
'Cila
Mar 11, 2017 'Cila rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“You are down there alone, the stars seemed to say, and we are up here, in our constellations, together. - [But] "I have been loved," said Edward to the stars.”

I don't think words can accurately describe how much I loved this book, by the end of the last page, I couldn't even read the words properly because of stream of tears cascading down my face. It is poignant and heart-breaking, it will pull all the right strings and call out nostalgia from the deepest corners of your soul. Beautifully
Barry Welsh
Jan 05, 2015 Barry Welsh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Two time Newbery Medal award winning American novelist Kate DiCamillo has scored a surprise 2014 best seller with her 2006 children’s book “The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane.” DiCamillo is the internationally best selling and multi-award winning author of several much loved books for children. The previously obscure “Edward Tulane” has been propelled to the upper reaches of the Korean book chart for several weeks by a somewhat unlikely association. “Edward Tulane” plays a key role in the h ...more
Nấm Hương
Mọi câu chuyện buồn bã, tăm tối, nếu kết thúc hạnh phúc đều sẽ sáng bừng lên thế này. Đến mức trái tim mình vui sướng đập binh binh như muốn nhảy tót khỏi lồng ngực :P.

Nghe cậu Bảy kể, hồi nhỏ mình có một trò rất ác o.o Đó là bắt cậu bật phim hoạt hình nai Bambi lên coi, rồi ngồi khóc hu hu khi nai mẹ bị bắn. Dù cứ coi đến cảnh kinh khủng nọ là khóc hu hu, nhưng mình luôn đòi coi cho bằng được :)). Cậu Bảy than, thiệt cậu muốn chết với con cho rồi!!! Ha ha ha...

Bữa nay đọc truyện xong cũng ngồi
Cherie
May 05, 2016 Cherie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am so happy that I will never be too old to read children's books! I am not too proud to say that I cried either.

I love this author's sweet stories. They always have such a wonderful message of love and friendship. The illustrations in this book are exceptional works of art. I could spend days gazing at them.

I am pleased to have finally met the unique china rabbit and read his story. From the bottom of the ocean to the top of a garbage heap, Edward found himself tossed on the journey of his
FeReSHte
دوست داشته نشیم
و دوست نداشته باشیم

عشق کلید حیات و هستی ماست و از اون مهم تر ابراز عشق
تا دوست داشتنی هاتون رو از دست ندادین عشقتون رو ابراز کنین

این همه ی چیزی بود که کیت دی کامیلو با سفر خرگوش عروسکی از دست صاحبی به صاحبی دیگر خواست به من بگه...شاید

"I'm done with being loved," Edward told her. "I'm done with loving. It's too painful." . . .

"Open your heart," she said gently. "Someone will come. Someone will come for you. But first you must open your heart."
Marian
Feb 06, 2009 Marian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it! I think I'll pick up a copy to save until my children are older, as the themes do seem to be a little too complex for their sensitivities.

I would recommend, however, reading it rather than listening to the audio version. The narrator attempted to use different voices most of which ended up sounding like Brer Rabbit or the Wicked Witch.
Drew Graham
Oct 16, 2013 Drew Graham rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: me
Edward Tulane is a china rabbit who cuts a fine figure, and he definitely knows it. Elegant, pampered, and hopelessly vain, Edward lives a luxurious life adored by a little girl named Abilene. But then one day Edward becomes a lost toy, and begins a long and incredible journey in an attempt to be found.

This is the last in the Kate DiCamillo boxed set we bought a while ago, and I can easily say it's my favorite book of hers that I've read to date. Despereaux and Winn-Dixie are sweet and artistic,
Arminzerella
Edward Tulane is a china rabbit, commissioned specially for Abilene Tulane by her grandmother, and he’s one vain bunny. He spends most of his time admiring himself and the fine figure he cuts in his custom-made silk suits. Abilene’s grandmother seems to know Edward’s thoughts are only for himself, for she warns him that without love, he will never be happy. And when Edward is tossed overboard by a couple of kids when he and Abilene are on a cruise he comes to know the truth of it. For the first ...more
Kelli
Feb 03, 2015 Kelli rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
I never review children's books, though I read aloud no less than three a day. This whopper of a book was 200 pages of masterful writing with gorgeous illustrations. I loved everything about this perfect story of a lost toy but what I loved the most was the intricate way that the language of this story was handled. The rabbit thought quite a lot of himself and that was evident in his choice of words...you could read how he felt about himself in the things he said and the way he said them. The la ...more
Amy
Nov 08, 2016 Amy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sweet-petites
A beautiful and moving story of learning to open our hearts, even when they haven't been tested or after they are broken. I admit that several parts of the book had me in tears. The illustrations are beautiful and the message even more so. Highly recommended!
Qt
Lovely illustrations throughout.

The Storyworld Project Discussion 13 14 Mar 01, 2016 06:54AM
Dynamic Characters 1 7 Dec 10, 2015 10:27AM
spiritual journeys 1 5 Jul 25, 2015 07:45AM
spiritual journeys 1 6 Jun 27, 2015 11:17AM
  • The End of the Beginning: Being the Adventures of a Small Snail (and an Even Smaller Ant)
  • Fergus Crane (Far-Flung Adventures, #1)
  • Toys Go Out
  • Lulu and the Brontosaurus
  • Where the Mountain Meets the Moon
  • Arabel's Raven (Arabel and Mortimer, #1)
  • The Penderwicks: A Summer Tale of Four Sisters, Two Rabbits, and a Very Interesting Boy (The Penderwicks #1)
  • Love That Dog (Jack, #1)
  • Clementine's Letter (Clementine, #3)
  • Each Little Bird that Sings
  • The Story of Diva and Flea
  • Where I Live
  • Knucklehead: Tall Tales and Almost True Stories of Growing up Scieszka
  • The Big Orange Splot
  • The Underneath
  • Emmy and the Incredible Shrinking Rat (Emmy, #1)
  • The Silver Crown
  • The Year of the Book (Anna Wang #1)
Kate DiCamillo, the newly named National Ambassador for Young People’s Literature for 2014–2015, says about stories, “When we read together, we connect. Together, we see the world. Together, we see one another.” Born in Philadelphia, the author lives in Minneapolis, where she faithfully writes two pages a day, five days a week.

Kate DiCamillo's own journey is something of a dream come true. After
More about Kate DiCamillo...

“Open your heart. Someone will come. Someone will come for you. But first you must open your heart.” 3169 likes
“You must be filled with expectancy. You must be awash in hope. You must wonder who will love you, whom you will love next.” 157 likes