Foolproof

Foolproof

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  38 ratings  ·  12 reviews
The morning of 9/11 Brenda Grant and Daniel Henderson met for coffee before going to their software firm in the World Trade Center. That casual act saved them from the Twin Towers' collapse, even as their friends and Brenda’s fiancé were killed and their company obliterated.

Founding their own software security firm, they never forgot that morning of horror.Grant and Hender...more
Published December 22nd 2009 by Forge Books

Amanda Morgan
On the morning of 9/11 Brenda Grant and Daniel Henderson are leaving the coffee shop where they meet before work just as an airplane hits the first tower. They witness what seems to be a terrible accident and fear for their co-workers who work on one of the floors above where the plane just hit in “Foolproof.”
As Brenda calls her boss/boyfriend to ask what is going on, he tells her the people on their floor are trapped and cannot go down because of the fire, so they’re going up the steps to try...more
Debbi Mack
Voting fraud isn't a topic one would normally think of as sexy or thrilling. However, Foolproof by co-authors Barbara D'Amato, Jeanne M. Dams and Mark Zubro, proves that even computer geeks can be the stars of amazing thrillers.

The story starts on 9/11. The two protagonists linger at a coffeehouse that morning, thus surviving the Twin Towers' collapse. In the aftermath, Brenda Grant (who lost her fiance, Jeremy, in the disaster) and Daniel Henderson, her gay co-worker, decide to start their own...more
Jessica
This gets four stars because the three authors clearly wanted to write a page-turner and I could not stop turning pages. Dan and Brenda are computer programmers who meet every morning for coffee, a habit that saves them on 9/11. Their employer vanishes into the terrorists' smoke, along with their colleagues and Brenda's fiance. Seven years later, they've built a successful computer security firm and in their free time, they use their code-reading skills to seek terrorist activity on the Internet...more
Joanne
I've read Jeanne Dams, who writes British cozies, and was interested to see her in this joint authorship. This book is a thriller, with two interesting protagonists who run a computer security agency that goes after terrorists after 9/11.

The plot gets pretty silly halfway through the book when the nerdy male half of the pair suddenly turns into the equivalent of Jason Bourne and rampages through Europe. And the Bad Guys are pretty obvious. And for the plot to move it requires a suspension of di...more
Steven Farmer
I have to admit, I got to the final thirty pages or so and I was wondering how they were really going to wrap it up. It seemed impossible, there were so many loose threads. The way they wrapped it up was INGENIOUS.

Read more books by these three authors.
Barry Rocklin
Bought because it had the name Mark Richard Zubro's name on it as co-author, this is not written in his voice at all. I haven't read other D'Amato, but given my choice, I'd read a Zubro book then another of these "collaborations".
Mark
Interesting book on how 2 computer geeks stopped for coffe making them late for work at the world trade center on 9/11. They then started a security firm and did work tracking terrorists in between jobs.
Jroge0202
I like this book about the paranoid, conspiracy theory society that we live in today and the fact that this could actually happen. AND YOU CAN"T STOP IT.
Susan Katz
This book was gripping enough to see me safely through one of the more anxious days of waiting in my life - and for that I will be forever grateful.
Jackie Klefsaas
It had me hooked from the beginning and pulled me through until the end. I lost sleep just so I finish it I am glad I stumbled upon this book.
Sean Ballentine
Very fast paced and exciting. Loved every page!
Jeanne
Really interesting.
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
Alix
Alix added it
Mar 08, 2014
Ten B.
Ten B. added it
Feb 21, 2014
Simon Exton
Simon Exton marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2014
Alicia
Alicia marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2013
Wendy
Wendy marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2013
Neet
Neet marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2013
Linda
Linda marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2013
Jennifer C.
Jennifer C. marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2013
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Aka Malacai Black

Barbara D'Amato has had a checkered career, working in the distant past as an assistant surgical orderly, carpenter for stage magic illusions, assistant tiger handler, stage manager, researcher for attorneys in criminal cases, and recently sometimes teaching mystery writing to Chicago police officers.

"Writing is the greatest job of all," D'Amato says. "I get to hang around with co...more
More about Barbara D'Amato...
Hard Tack: A Cat Marsala Mystery Death of a Thousand Cuts Killer.App Other Eyes Hard Women: A Cat Marsala Mystery