Start by marking “Just Like Hell” as Want to Read:
Just Like Hell

Just Like Hell

Dillon has the world on a string. With a record-breaking football season and several scholarship offers in his pocket, he can write his own future.

But Dillon has a secret, something he’s never told the rest of his team. Even his best friends don’t know. They might not understand. They might overreact.

Now the secret is out. Maybe that’s why Dillon just woke up in the trun
Paperback, limited edition paperback, 96 pages
Published 2008 by Thunderstorm Books

To ask other readers questions about Just Like Hell, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Just Like Hell

Ms. Nikki
Just Like Hell - 3 Star - ending was very clipped
A Team Building Exercise-5 Stars- Wish it could have been longer. Great idea.
Miss Kenner and Me - 2 1/2 Stars - just meh
Señorita - 3Stars
Work Pit Four- 1 - Either I shouldn't be trying to read at 5 am or this one didn't make any sense
William M.
Jan 30, 2012 William M. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
Nate Southard is a new horror writer on the scene with a lot of buzz and I was very excited to dive into some of his work. After reading “Just Like Hell”, I can happily confirm that the praise is accurate and earned.

While the story and setup might feel familiar to many genre fans, it is the way in which Southard moves through the different perspectives that gives this story a fresh feel. His economy of words pulls you along at a rapid pace, tossing you into the center of violence like some out-
Travis Davis
Nov 10, 2011 Travis Davis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just Like Hell is a novella by Nate Southard. I was unfamiliar with the author but I thought the cover was amazing and Deadite has yet to put out a bad book in my opinion. Needless to say I was blown away and Nate Southard has since skyrocketed to the top of my must read authors.

The book starts out with Just Like Hell. It tells the story of Dillion, a popular high school football star. He's the best Wide Reciever the school has probably ever had and he's accepted into numerous Universities.

Ever
Scott Emerson
Jul 13, 2012 Scott Emerson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
High-school football phenom Dillon has been keeping his homosexuality a secret as an act of social survival, but when his teammates discover the same-sex romance he's been having he finds himself literally fighting for his life; kidnapped and bound in a remote cabin by his so-called friends, Dillon and his lover are trapped in a cruel prank that quickly escalates into a night-long ordeal of shocking violence.

JUST LIKE HELL mines the same vein of intimate, disturbing horror of such works as Ketch
Grant Palmquist
Apr 18, 2013 Grant Palmquist rated it really liked it
Just Like Hell is a tight little horror novella with not a wasted word. It centers on Dillon, the star running back of a high-school football team; Randy, Dillon's nerdy lover; and Kevin, the star wide receiver and Dillon's best friend ... till he finds out Dillon's gay. Kevin's discovery leads to a game in his parents' cabin that will change all of their lives permanently. I thought this horror novel was hardcore, graphic, but also great. The violence is warranted and fits within the story: it ...more
Kathy
Mar 06, 2014 Kathy rated it it was ok
I think I just had my expectations too high. I was expecting a lot more gore/torture. This was actually pretty soft. Honestly, I was even a little bothered at how much crying, shrieking and screaming (even while they weren't being physically hurt)these young men did. Call me sick and cold, but the thought kept crossing me mind. Sad that Dillon lost Randy so tragically by the hands of Kevin (you could tell Dillon and Randy really did feel very strongly for each other and loved each other). Toby's ...more
Steven Shroyer
Oct 01, 2012 Steven Shroyer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Deadite Press scores another winner by publishing a savage tale of vicious hatred and unimaginable cruelty. Nate Southard's "Just Like Hell" is scary not because of it's savage violence but in the unmistakeable fact that an event like this could really occur. The ending of this story moved me with it's haunting prose and emotional impact. The 4 other stories in this collection are just the gore caked cherry on a delicious sundae of a horror novel. This is a worthy addition to any true horror fan ...more
Michael Myett
Aug 13, 2013 Michael Myett rated it really liked it
Three and one-half stars. A couple good short stories and the main novella had lots of potential but near the end Southard seemed to be in a hurry to wrap it up. Another 15 - 25 pages could have made this book a 5 star read. Not the authors best work but still worth reading.
Stephanie
Jul 01, 2015 Stephanie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bizarro
I don't think I like "horror" bizarro as much. Carlton Mellick III is still my favorite bizarro author.
Alex Bough
Alex Bough marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2016
Angelina Mcarova
Angelina Mcarova marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2016
Oscar Wilbert
Oscar Wilbert marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2016
Jason Hodge
Jason Hodge marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2016
Justin
Justin rated it it was amazing
Jun 05, 2016
Anne
Anne marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2016
Isaac Tyler
Isaac Tyler rated it liked it
Apr 11, 2016
Scott
Scott rated it it was amazing
Apr 07, 2016
H.R.
H.R. rated it it was amazing
Apr 03, 2016
Pagan
Pagan marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2016
Tiffany Marie
Tiffany Marie marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2016
Russell Brennan
Russell Brennan marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2016
Andrew Vickers
Andrew Vickers marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2016
Bodour Elmezyen
Bodour Elmezyen marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2016
Nolan Flavin
Nolan Flavin marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2015
Godiva3
Godiva3 marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2015
John Muñoz
John Muñoz marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2015
Beiza
Beiza added it
Nov 05, 2015
Trevor Firetog
Trevor Firetog rated it liked it
Dec 31, 2015
Dani
Dani rated it liked it
Sep 30, 2015
Rozzo
Rozzo marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Nate Southard is moody, shy, lanky, bald, and has bad skin. When he isn’t writing, he’s probably cooking Thai food or fried chicken. Seriously, he has something like fifty fried chicken recipes. It’s ridiculous. He recently discovered coffee-flavored ice cream, and it’s ruling his entire world. Did you know if you mix it with chocolate ice cream, you can kinda make mocha ice cream? Nate does!

Nate
More about Nate Southard...