Start by marking “Trains” as Want to Read:
Trains

Trains

From steam engines to diesel engines and box cars to sleeper cars, a ride on Lynn Curlee’s Trains is about as close as most kids can hope to get to the Japanese bullet train or the inner workings of steam power. This book’s bold, graphic acrylic paintings are a perfect match for sleek, modern engines; dark, dirty locomotives; and the sprawling landscapes of the ...more
Published May 5th 2009 by Atheneum Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Trains, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Trains

midnightfaerie
Jun 24, 2013 midnightfaerie rated it did not like it
Shelves: childrens
Under the guise of a children's book, this book spent way too little time on the illustrations and overdid it on the verbiage. Way too long even for a level 4 reader, it read's more as an older child's book or even an adult informational book. It tricked me online, convincing me by the cover that it might be suitable for my preschoolers. Alas, they spent less than 30 seconds looking at the pictures, then were disinterested. Not worth our time.
Liza Gilbert
Sep 14, 2009 Liza Gilbert rated it did not like it
Shelves: picture-books
In my opinion this could have been a great train book. The art is crisp and effective. However, the text was too happy and glossed over. Almost all of the people looking at the progress of the trains were wealthy and in rich clothing. The work of the immigrants was grossly edited, and the bits about Native Americans did one heck of an injustice. Yes, children like trains because they are powerful and somewhat romantic, but there is no need to snowball the truth in order to create a good book.
Jennifer Conrad
Jul 14, 2014 Jennifer Conrad rated it really liked it
This book is great for kiddos obsessed with trains. However, it has a too many words (3-5 lengthy paragraphs on each page) and not enough pictures for a toddler. We usually just read the paragraph related to the picture since our toddler wouldn't sit through more than a paragraph or two per page. Now that the toddler is moving on to school, we have begun reading more of the text. It depends on the day whether he's interested in the lengthier text. The book does have a lot of wonderful ...more
Duane
Jul 20, 2010 Duane rated it did not like it
To begin with, the author does a big injustice by making the history of trains in our country very "perfect". They fail to mention the toil and hardships that some people endured as the railroad rolled over their land. The illustrations are nice, but overall, there are better books for train lovers or anyone wanting to introduce kids to the world of trains.
Maggi Rohde
A fairly comprehensive history of trains, with a focus on North America. I appreciate the way the narrative is not interrupted by fact boxes or diagrams; the illustrations complement rather than distracting from the text. Excellent for upper elementary.
Tricia
Jul 15, 2009 Tricia rated it liked it
Title has great illustrations (no photos) with detailed narrative telling the history of trains in the United States. Contains a diagram showing how steam engines work. Despite being way above preschool level, the kids enjoyed the book.
Fiona Endsley
Oct 26, 2009 Fiona Endsley rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens, history
This was a great book for little folks who like trains in that it tied the story of the railroads to the larger story of American history. It is also very impressively illustrated.
Kim
Jun 28, 2011 Kim rated it really liked it
Shelves: student-books
I gave it 4 stars because I'm not that "into" trains, but for 5th graders that are, this is a great book. It will also work with our SS unit on History.
TG
Sep 07, 2009 TG rated it really liked it
Informative picture book
Daniel
Daniel rated it it was amazing
May 15, 2015
Cywnyc
Cywnyc rated it it was amazing
Oct 20, 2014
Lori
Lori rated it liked it
Feb 20, 2014
Ashlee
Ashlee rated it it was ok
Jul 05, 2010
Kyrstin Olson
Kyrstin Olson rated it liked it
Apr 25, 2013
Isaac
Isaac rated it it was amazing
Mar 19, 2013
Megen
Apr 25, 2013 Megen rated it really liked it
This is a good kid-friendly text about the invention of trains through a story.
Julie
Excellent informational book for children on trains.
Tamara
Tamara rated it really liked it
Sep 23, 2016
Owen
Owen rated it it was amazing
Sep 28, 2012
Armony
Armony rated it it was amazing
Jan 16, 2015
Anna
Anna marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2009
Mike
Mike added it
Apr 24, 2013
Rebecca Perkins
Rebecca Perkins marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2013
Marilynn Saoifanua
Marilynn Saoifanua marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2013
Angela
Angela marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2014
Jorge Vega
Jorge Vega marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2014
Jenny
Jenny added it
Jul 17, 2014
Anna
Anna added it
Sep 16, 2014
Rita Tomuchforthehaters
Rita Tomuchforthehaters marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2014
Christine
Christine marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2014
Brin
Brin added it
Oct 02, 2016
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2016