Start by marking “Going Postal (Discworld, #33; Moist von Lipwig, #1)” as Want to Read:
Going Postal (Discworld, #33; Moist von Lipwig, #1)

Going Postal (Discworld #33)

4.33 of 5 stars 4.33  ·  rating details  ·  67,086 ratings  ·  1,824 reviews
Arch-swindler Moist Van Lipwig never believed his confidence crimes were hanging offenses - until he found himself with a noose tightly around his neck, dropping through a trapdoor, and falling into...a government job?

By all rights, Moist should have met his maker. Instead, it's Lord Vetinari, supreme ruler of Ankh-Morpork, who promptly offers him a job as Postmaster. Sinc
Published September 27th 2005 by HarperTorch (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Going Postal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Going Postal

Night Watch by Terry PratchettGoing Postal by Terry PratchettGuards! Guards! by Terry PratchettSmall Gods by Terry PratchettMort by Terry Pratchett
The Best of Discworld!
2nd out of 47 books — 739 voters
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas AdamsGood Omens by Terry PratchettLamb by Christopher MooreThe Princess Bride by William GoldmanMe Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris
Best Humorous Books
47th out of 3,016 books — 5,915 voters

More lists with this book...

The mail must get through!

He was part of the government, wasn't he? Governments took money off people. That's what they were for.

Turns out, years spent scamming and conning the public have excellently prepared Moist von Lipwig with the skill set needed to run a vast corporation.

Who knew?

My Discworld-reading for the Humour Club has had its ups and downs. Some books I loved, some bored me to tears, one I didn't finish. I thrilled to the adventures of the witches, laughed at the exploits of the Nig
This book was an excellent surprise; I love the Discworld series but was getting tired of seeing the same characters again and again in every book. But this book introduces an entirely new and refreshing cast of characters. I particularly liked the main character and felt he was very well-developed.

Pratchett's books are funny precisely because he has a very firm grasp of human nature. His best work feels surprisingly profound even though you're also laughing so hard you're afraid you might brea
Jun 05, 2007 E.H. rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: language and history geeks
Shelves: theboxmarkeddone
I picked up this book to read on a 15 hour flight from Chicago to Vietnam, on the assumption that it would be a light, pleasant way to pass the dreary hours (after one flight to China during which I watched the first X-Men film three times, I decided it was best to err on the side of having too many books rather than too few).

My assumptions proved correct, and I enjoyed the book quite thoroughly. Three things struck me:

1) Pratchett's use of language is always fun, and he occasionally makes wond
Nate D
Oct 16, 2008 Nate D rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who refuse to read fantasy novels.
This was really surprising, actually. Perhaps it shouldn't have been, given how many people whose opinions I respect are Pratchett fans, but I haven't read a fantasy novel since giving up on Robert Jordan's painstakingly prolonged The Wheel of Time (somewhere in book 5, I think) long before college. Actually, I suppose I read a bunch of the Harry Potters in the interim, but in some ways that felt more like keeping up with pop culture than reading actual fantasy.

In any event, Going Postal was pur
Douglas Wilson
I haven't read a lot of Pratchett -- I think this is only my second one -- but I do enjoy reading him for the color and the metaphor. The way he turns a figure of speech on the lathe will frequently leave you just sitting there in your chair with a table leg in your hand, and your wife says, "Hey, what's with the table leg." And I say, "I'm reading."
Dec 31, 2007 Eleanor rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: satire / fantasy nerds
I am probably the last person on earth to read Terry Pratchett, but I'm glad I finally did. People have been recommending his books to me for years and although I had planned on starting with book 1, Color of Magic, the bookseller recommended I start with Going Postal instead (they were also out of stock of CoM). Every time I picked this book up I laughed out loud, it has a refreshing wit combined with a sharp perception of people and their funny habits. I ate this book up and bought copy of "Gu ...more
Cora Tea Party Princess
One of my favourite Discworld novels - although I'm sure I've said that more thank once.

The way terry Pratchett plays with worlds is great - it adds to the pace and humour of this hilarious novel.
What happens when Ventari becomes an angel and puts a con man in charge of the decrepit Post Office? Nothing one expects, of course.

There was a silence. In that silence, Moist tried out a variety of responses, from "Pull the other one, it's got bells on" to "That's impossible", and decided they all sounded stupid. Groat looked deadly serious, so instead he said: "How?"

There are many, many characters in the
Dec 06, 2010 Ron rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: fantasy
Cute, but kind of stale--like Seinfeld. It's superficially funny, but you get the feeling it's been done before. Many times.

In light of 2008's financial crisis, Going Postal might be taken as a timely reminder of the fallibility of humans, especially those entrusted with wealth or power.
I have only read the Discworld books featuring the City Watch, and the related follow-up books featuring a spin-off character in this book, Moist Von Lipwig. That's because I'm afraid Pratchett's other books will not be my cuppa. As a writer, he walks a fine line, approaching my personal barrier — too much punnery and parody. I like the City Watch series (see Guards! Guards!) because Pratchett toes the line, proving parody in a neatly plotted mystery with the feeling of film noir, and I love the ...more
The length of time it took to read this book is not a reflection upon its quality. I just haven’t been very good at switching between books lately due to a number of distractions.
This one includes two things I have soft spots for: a talented con artist and the postal service.
As I’ve commented on in other reviews, such as The Lies of Locke Lamora, I’m fascinated by a well-executed con. Moist von Lipwig (one of Pratchett’s most deliberately awful character names) is one grade-A con artist. He bri
Okay, so this wasn't brilliant or incredibly original or anything that a 5-star novel should normally be, but it was funny and fast-paced and hugely entertaining. Pratchett's Discworld, with its hodge-podge of technologies, cultures, and magic, into which he shoehorns whatever anachronistic notion works for the story, shouldn't work as well as it does, but somehow you suspend your disbelief and just enjoy the ride.

Starting with the cringeingly-named protagonist "Moist von Lipwig," Going Postal i
Als ich vom Tod des Lieblingsautors meiner Studienzeit - Terry Pratchett - erfuhr, zog ich sofort einen der Schmöker aus meinem ansehnlichen Scheibenwelt SUB (Stapel ungelesener Bücher 23 gelesen/ 8 ausständig) hervor, und schwelgte im Andenken an den Autor.

Normalerweise ist ein Buch nicht gut, wenn ich allzulange zum Lesen benötige, diesmal stimmt aber meine persönliche Faustregel gar nicht. Mehrere Rezensionstermine und Lesegruppen zwangen mich, diese höchst vergnügliche Lektüre zu unterbreche
In Going Postal, the enlightened despot of Ankh Morpork, Lord Vetinari, rather forcibly recruits a con man, Moist von Lipwig, to take over the running of the venerable and deserted post office, where letters have been accumulating for years -- if not decades -- without delivery. Moist steps reluctantly into the moldy shoes of the Postmaster, only to discover that the previous three occupants of the position died grisly deaths in the execution of their duties (and I use the term "execution" advis ...more
Rachel Hartman
Just read this for a second time because I wanted to see how it would strike me after everything I've read in the intervening years. This was the book where I finally GOT Terry Pratchett; I had attempted to read some of his earlier books years before, but had found them impenetrable walls of jokes. Here, suddenly, I understood the person behind the humour, and I saw that he was a lot like me.

More later, as I have time.
Mar 14, 2007 Rachel rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: funny fantasy readers
Shelves: fantasysci-fi
Not as good as the other ones I've read, but maybe I'm ODing just a bit. Still awesome though. Very funny, and very well done. I like him a lot better than Neil Gaimon (don't kill me!).
January 1, 2008

I'm not sure what people are calling this particular subset of discworld novels, but I love them.

Personal copy
John Box
I dove blindly into the Discworld series with Going Postal, Book #33 of 40 (as of June 2015). I was a little concerned about not starting at the beginning, but since author Terry Pratchett himself recommended against starting with Book #1, and since several fans said that this relatively highly-rated installment was as good a place as any, I took the plunge.

From what I gather, Discworld is a medieval fantasy world with creatures like golems (giant, indestructible gingerbread men with eyes of fir

My first real attempt at a Terry Pratchett novel. Quite a while ago I picked up Colour of Magic and read it intermittently without ever really getting into it or thinking it was anything too special. I was given Going Postal as a gift a couple of years ago and finally picked it up and attempted it due to my keenness to get into the Discworld series. I'm glad I did!

It's very different to the normal sort of crime/action books I read and I'm trying to broaden my horizons with different styles
Letters want to be delivered - and if they don't, you can get some nasty surprises. Especially in the post office in Ankh-Morpork where letters haven't been delievered for years and years.. and are starting to talk...

So to solve this problem, the Patrician and tyrant Lord Vetinari 'hires' con-artist extraordinaire Moist von Lipwig to fix it. In this case, hires means that after Moist is hanged - and almost died from it - he get offered to fix the postal service - or die. So he has a choice to ma
Mary Catelli
A forger is trying to escape his cell before his hanging, and discovers it is carefully set up to look possible. So the next morning, they hang him, and the next face he sees is the Patrician's. Who gives him a job offer: to get the Post Office up and running again. He finds that it is stuffed with letters decades old, never delivered, and staffed by an old man and a young one who's obsessed with pins. And, it turns out, that several men have recently died in his post, and he's the rival of the ...more
Steven Harbin
Con man Moist von Lipwig is about to be hanged for his various crimes, until Patrician Havelock Vetinari, tyrant of the Discworld city of Ankh-Morpork, gives him a new lease on life. He can hang (literally) or he can take over the defunct Post Office of Ankh-Morpork and use his considerable skills of persuasion and deception to fix things up postally. Just to make sure that von Lipwig doesn't go on the lam, he's given his very own Golem to watch over him and bring him back if he gets lost...

Deborah Markus
I was reading this to my son when that train crashed and burned in Quebec, destroying so much property and killing all those people. I watched the news and listened to the new owner of the company in question defend his methods of making more money by cutting expenses -- specifically, expenses like having two engineers on a shift when you could get away with only having one. In fact, it was probably safer to have just one person doing the safety check, because if there were two people, they were ...more
Woot, finished last month's book club book!
This was actually the first Terry Pratchett book I've ever finished. I've started two others, and I love them, but extenuating circumstances and all that. I know, I know:

But anyway.
I really, really liked this. On the one hand it's off the wall ridiculous and on the other it's so TRUE. There are so many insights into how humanity works in here, all while being hilarious. And I LOVED Miss Deerheart. So much. My favourite was when she caught a burning let
Prompted by seeing the television version of Going Postal, I broke off my serious reading schedule to take a brief swing through the Moist books while the weather's so fiendishly hot that a) serious brainage is bad and b) reading the word "moist" every minute is faintly refreshing. Book so much better than TV, Richard Coyle notwithstanding.
My son has been hounding me to read Terry Pratchett for years but started one and just didn't think it was my thing. Then I read Dodger (which I loved) and decided to try again with Going Postal and........what a lot of time I've wasted! Really enjoyed it and will read more now - think it's going to be expensive ;-)
Little Miss Esoteric
5 stars. Mr Pratchett, you are smart. Hermes (Mercury) the Trickster. Mr Messenger and Mr Prophecy himself. Everywhere I venture I find you've been there, you've figured it out, and what's more you've written about it. Quite frankly you kick butt. I raise my glass in your honour.

Discworld, where have you been all my life? There are 40 books in this series. Or something like that. I ask, what have I gotten myself into?
Amy Herrington
Absolute pony.

I've lived my life up to now in blissful ignorance of Terry Pratchett and the Discworld series. It's only my devotion to Book Club that meant I finally faced my fears and got stuck in to this, my first – and probably last – Pratchett book.

The reason I've avoided the series for so long is because I had a strong suspicion I wouldn't enjoy it. I can at least now say I've tried and that my suspicions were right on the money.

The lighthearted tone made for easy reading, but I just cou
Viktor Malafey
Весела і цікава книжка. З безліччю алюзій з масової культури і посилань на повсякденне життя.

Going postal, in American English slang, means becoming extremely and uncontrollably angry, often to the point of violence, and usually in a workplace environment.

Дійство відбувається в якомусь паралельному всесвіті, де все дуже схоже на наш світ, але з вкрапленнями фентезі. Підозрюю, що ця книжка є лише частинкою з великого циклу, що не лише є пародією на всілякі "Володарі перснів", а й взагалі сформува
La Stamberga dei ...: Going Postal di Terry Pratchett 2 20 Jan 16, 2013 12:01PM
  • The Brentford Triangle
  • The Portable Door (J. W. Wells & Co., #1)
  • In the Company of Ogres
  • The Tough Guide to Fantasyland
  • The Fourth Bear (Nursery Crime, #2)
  • The Unseen University Challenge: Terry Pratchett's Discworld Quizbook
  • Rumo & His Miraculous Adventures (Zamonia, #3)
  • Memory (Vorkosigan Saga, #10)
  • Wilt On High (Wilt, #3)
  • Better than Life

More about Terry Pratchett...

Discworld (1 - 10 of 41 books)
  • The Color of Magic (Discworld, #1; Rincewind #1)
  • The Light Fantastic (Discworld, #2; Rincewind #2)
  • Equal Rites (Discworld, #3; Witches #1)
  • Mort (Discworld, #4; Death, #1)
  • Sourcery (Discworld, #5; Rincewind #3)
  • Wyrd Sisters (Discworld, #6; Witches #2)
  • Pyramids (Discworld, #7)
  • Guards! Guards! (Discworld, #8; City Watch #1)
  • Eric (Discworld, #9; Rincewind #4)
  • Moving Pictures (Discworld, #10)
Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch The Color of Magic (Discworld, #1; Rincewind #1) Mort (Discworld, #4; Death, #1) Guards! Guards! (Discworld, #8; City Watch #1) Night Watch (Discworld, #29; City Watch #6)

“Did I do anything last night that suggested I was sane?” 611 likes
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?” 513 likes