Start by marking “Foxfire” as Want to Read:

3.64  ·  Rating Details  ·  493 Ratings  ·  35 Reviews
Golden girl: that was Amanda. Born into luxury, she was pampered, adored, spoiled, and very beautiful. She could have had any man she wanted. Millionaire Tom Merrill had been in love with her for years. But she chose Dart, tall, handsome, mining engineer. He was half-Indian, proud, and very poor.

Amanda had no idea what to expect as Dart's wife, an eastern stranger in the
Mass Market Paperback, 302 pages
Published 1965 by Pyramid (first published 1950)

To ask other readers questions about Foxfire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Foxfire

Carol Storm
Jul 20, 2011 Carol Storm rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely vile.

The heroine is an insufferably spoiled racist snob, and the hero is a "savage" half-Apache (modernized with a college education) whom she "tames" through an endless marriage filled with teasing sex, manipulation, and financial scheming.

But when I describe it like this, I make it sound much sexier than it really is.

Because the whole book is deadly dull.

Except when it's really, really offensive.
Maura
Jun 27, 2008 Maura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another favorite that I re-read every so often. A good story about two people learning to live together despite very different backgrounds. He is so true to his ideals that he cannot bend; she is so flexible that she seems to lose her own sense of self. This was made into a really crappy B movie in the 50's or 60's that didn't seems to have any relation to the book other than the title and it was set in a western mining town.
Misfit
Aug 20, 2008 Misfit rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Foxfire is set in early 1930s depression era as slightly spoiled Amanda Lawrence meets the dark and brooding Jonathan Dartland (Dart) while returning on cruise from Europe. Despite Dart's poor prospects as a mining engineer, sparks fly and they are married and return to Lodestar, a mining operation in the remote back country of Arizona. Unused to the rougher aspects of life, Amanda has a difficult time settling in to her new life as well as mixing in with the mining community peopled with unusua ...more
Deb
Dec 17, 2012 Deb rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Early 1930's depression era when Amanda meets the dark and brooding Jonathan Dartland (Dart) while returning on cruise from Europe. Amanda has had a lovely, somewhat spoiled life, and Dart is well-educated, professor father, American Apache mother. He loves the southwest and the poor mining life. Two lives that don't match, but they fall in love on a ship returning from Europe (he on business, she on a 'tour') They marry and return to Lodestar, a mining operation in the remote back country of Ar ...more
Catherine
Sep 03, 2015 Catherine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ah, I love the old books. There just seems to be a quality of writing that is missing these days. This one has captivating characters, a strong sense of time and place (right after the stock market crash of 1929 in the American southwest), conflicts between an east-coast former rich girl and her new part-Indian husband and a vicious mining boss, and just enough romance without being icky. Perfect recipe for an escapist read that you don't have to feel guilty for.
Julia
Jan 11, 2014 Julia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Amanda and Dart are newlyweds in Lodestone, a tiny, struggling Arizona town, during The Great Depression. The life of a miner's wife is not quite what Amanda, who grew up in New York Society, was expecting, although she's determined to make the best of it. Struggling to make ends meet, Amanda's interest is piqued by a legend of hidden gold in the desert. Dart is initially dismissive of the story, but as both his and Amanda's pasts conspire against them and threaten their futures, he too ultimate ...more
Labmom
Mar 11, 2013 Labmom rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: anya-seton
I can't give no stars or one star to Anya Seton, she's one of my favorite authors (I named my daughter Anya) and she wrote my all-time favorite book (Green Darkness) but this wasn't good. It didn't completely suck, but it wasn't even close to her other 9 books, most of which are excellent. I guess every consistently good writer has one bad book, or one that's not as good as the others. Even Shakespeare wrote a few stupid plays (Pericles, The Merry Wives of Windsor). Toni Morrison, even, had a cr ...more
Jan 15, 2015 Foxfire rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Probably my very favourite romance ever written. It's not just about falling in love, but about two people with very different sets of values learning to understand each other and make a successful marriage, while learning to deal with poverty and hardship during the depression era. Very strong side plots about lost love and regret.

I might be biased because I have an interest in mining and I like Arizona and Native American themes. However, the quality of writing, the characterisation and multi-
Jane S. Grimm
This book is my least favorite of all Anya Seton's books. I think it was also the first one she wrote.
Carolyn
Aug 06, 2014 Carolyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved it first time when I read it as a teenager and enjoyed it very much a second time. A classic story
Patricia Perks
Feb 07, 2016 Patricia Perks rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book really had my attention. What a wonderful writer Ms. Seton was.
Marlene
first read by this author - very enjoyable!
Kate (Trojanhorse)
Jun 04, 2014 Kate (Trojanhorse) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adventure, romance
Another well written book by Anya Seton. Enjoyable but a bit backwards, starts off with the couple's wedding and then they spend the book "finding their relationship".
Susan
Oct 28, 2009 Susan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was ok but a bit of a dissapointment. I did mnot like any of the characters, especially Amanda. DArt was proabaly the best but too good a person. I hated Dr. Hugh and wondered why Amanda liked him so much. As for As for Amanda's obsession to hunt for the gold it made no sense to me. And when they went and looked for it the book got crazy. Wow and this solved all their problems, even though there was no fortune to be found. I'' have to try her other books as reeaders say they are better ...more
Ruth ☆☽
This is not my favourite Anya Seton book - mining is not a particularly interesting subject for me, so reading this novel was always going to have a possible boredom factor. However she is talented writer and her characters are well-drawn and believable (within the framework of the story). There is a tendency to melodrama in some of the descriptive passages, but not enough to be off-putting. I enjoyed the book overall, particularly the second half, and have allocated a 3-star rating.
Aaron Hrenko
Even though "Foxfire" was written in the late forties/early fifties, it's still written really conversationally compared to other works from this time. Almost everything about this book is totally cliche, but it's so cliche that it's not off-putting. I guess this makes it feel like you know the characters well? Anyway, it's a crossover of romance and adventure in a historical fiction setting. If you like any of those genres, you might like it.
Meredith
I finished this book two days ago and I am still on the fence about it. I loved the characters and the settings,(Seton always knows how to develop a great character!) The first of the book instantly hooked me, but I felt like the middle of the book was long and slow while the end was quick and abrupt and everything ended a bit too tidy. But all in all I love Anya Seton, and I think the book was a very enjoyable read.
Sonja
Nov 11, 2008 Sonja rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was in one of those big, hardback books of three novels together all by Anya Seton so I wanted to read it to be able to pass the book on. About page 50 or so the book gets quite suspenseful: the characters get really interesting as well as the setting in a small mining town. It ended up being my favorite of the three Anya Seton books bound together.
Ellen
Mar 05, 2015 Ellen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
More interesting to read because I am visiting central Arizona where the book takes place.
Emma
Jun 13, 2013 Emma rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
really enjoyed this story of two very different people and how despite their very different principles one exploration for a common goal brought them together. With a character highlighting a lust for gold I thought it was clever how against him Amanda and Dart's search was for more than just gold. Really good story and would recommend.
Jasmine
Jun 23, 2011 Jasmine rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
We'll see how it is!! It's been on my shelf for so long I have to read it!

Okay so I had to stop!!! I did not like it at all! Too much mining detail for me, that I could not even get through it. I have read other Seton books and loved them, but NOT this one! Sorry!!! I gave it a chance, made it to page 80!
Hypatia
Dec 05, 2011 Hypatia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical
Overall, this was an enjoyable read. However, I'm not sure I really liked the ending. It felt a little as though the author had decided the book was long enough, and so everything wrapped up fairly suddenly. Also, I'm not sure how believable the ending really is. Still, a fun read.
Maudie
Aug 09, 2013 Maudie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
At this point in the read, not my favorite Anya Seton...

However, I feel she brought the story home in closing and the characters will linger in my mind...it's just that I didn't like them all that much...and reading the first half of 'Foxfire' is akin to pouring winter molasses...
Christy
Slow to get into, as mining just isn't that interesting to me. Second half of the book was definitely more interesting. I wish that Calise had been more of a focus of the story, as so much could have been done with her story.
Ruth
Jul 13, 2012 Ruth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Anya Seton, one of my favorite authors ... I've re-read this book several time, about a very spoiled, rich young lady that choose to live in a gold mining camp, without any conveniences and how she copes.
Cindy
Feb 17, 2016 Cindy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great Western

Anya Set on is 1 of a kind! After reading Katherine, I have wanted to read all her novels. Katherine is by far the BEST historical fiction novel of our time.
Aimee
Dec 26, 2012 Aimee rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
My least favorite Anya Seton novel. It's been a while since I've read it so I need to reread but I didn't enjoy this book, and I have enjoyed all the other books I've read by her.
SuzanneG
Jul 29, 2009 SuzanneG rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Summer always calls for a new Anya Seton novel!!! So far this is my least favorite Anya Seton novel....but it was good nonetheless....just not GREAT like her other novels.
Heather
Mar 19, 2013 Heather rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My second Anya Seton book. I enjoyed Dragonwyck so much, I thought I'd try another. This book is VERY different from Dragonwyck, but I really liked it nonetheless.
Squeaky
Aug 19, 2015 Squeaky rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: amhistory
Only book of Anya Seton's that I did not like. Just not like her typical novels. Katherine, Green Darkness, Winthrop Woman, excellent, this one .. meh
  • The Darkness & the Dawn
  • Swan's Chance (Wild Swan Trilogy, #2)
  • The Tangled Thread (Morland Dynasty, #10)
  • The Sugar Pavilion
  • The Peaceable Kingdom
  • Give Us This Day (Swann Saga, #3)
  • The Mallen Girl
  • Calico Palace
  • Nethergate
Anya Seton (January 23, 1904 (although the year is often misstated to be 1906 or 1916) - November 8, 1990) was the pen name of the American author of historical romances, Ann Seton.

Ann Seton was born in New York, New York, and died in Old Greenwich, Connecticut. She was the daughter of English-born naturalist and pioneer of the Boy Scouts of America, Ernest Thompson Seton and Grace Gallatin Seton.
More about Anya Seton...