Start by marking “The Life You Were Born to Live: A Guide to Finding Your Life Purpose” as Want to Read:
The Life You Were Born to Live: A Guide to Finding Your Life Purpose

The Life You Were Born to Live: A Guide to Finding Your Life Purpose

4.06  ·  Rating Details ·  1,621 Ratings  ·  136 Reviews
Tells how to determine one's Pythagorean birth number and use it to find a new direction and meaning, improve relationships, find a fulfilling career, determine children's talents, and clarify issues of health, finance, and sex.
Kindle Edition
Published (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about The Life You Were Born to Live, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Life You Were Born to Live

Jason Hull
Feb 02, 2012 Jason Hull rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: relationships
I'm a 33/6. The laws section is the most significant area of the book. The book does seem to be eerily correct in nailing people's challenges and such. Not sure if this is due to the wording being generic enough for anything to be true or applicable, similar to fake psychic readings, but regardless it is fun to look up friends and family and will give insights into people. Some numbers so perfectly nailed people I know I was amazed and it helped me understand them better.

People who like this bo
Kasi Iliopoulos
Mar 26, 2013 Kasi Iliopoulos rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just love this book! The insight it provides is accurate and helpful and sometimes confronting - which is how we instigate change within ourselves. I have lent this book out to friends 3 times - all three times the book was never returned to me. So I have purchased it four times - because it is one of my all time favourites.

What I like about it is that I can always refer to it at any given time and I always understand something new when I do. I love that. And I found it is a book that grows a
Samantha
This book goes into numerology and provides insight to the life you were born to live based off of calculations you do with your birth numbers. I only read the part in this book relevant for my numbers, and a few of others close to me whose birthdays I knew. And for me and those I checked, the things that Millman had to say were pretty right on. It was very helpful and I think if you put the title in you google search you should find a PDF version which can allow you to peruse the pages on your ...more
Natalie Maria
Jun 02, 2013 Natalie Maria rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am obsessed with this book. I'm not a hippy, I just find this kind of thing fascinating. Don't be fooled by the terribly cheesey title & cover; it is a fascinating numerology system that has Pythagorean lineage and appears to be scarily accurate.

It's unlike your typical horoscope-esque guide etc., it covers every possible number combination of the 20th century and gives a detailed 4-5 page break down for each of those combinations. The book is very easy to read, with an introduction to th
Apr 10, 2012 Laura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was a lot of fun and also very helpful. I was pleasantly surprised because this book exceeded my expectations. This is a book that I would consider a go to throughout my life. It is not overwhelming in its analysis or In the advice it gives for change. The way that Millman presents numerology makes you feel empowered and inspired. I am truly impressed with his writing, his message, and his mission to help people find meaning and purpose on their lives.

The only thing that I really want
Linda Gumper
Jan 27, 2013 Linda Gumper rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: keepers
The book made a huge difference in answering questions that I had about myself and now am checking it against the important people in my life. I read some of the other reviews and found them interesting. Some believe in the numerology and others don't. I guess the most important thing is that if you find inspiration great and if you don't. . you have the right idea to keep looking.
Erik Akre
May 13, 2016 Erik Akre rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: reflective personalities
Shelves: spirituality
Are you intrigued by numerology? Have you been curious about checking into it? Millman was curious, and he began studying it a while before publishing this book. He was so impressed by the insights it gave, he decided to write a full-length treatise on how numerology can offer insight and guidance to one's own self and path. The results are at very least fascinating, whether you "buy" them or not. The book, all the way through, is about reading your numbers and interpreting them. There is a full ...more
Brian
Apr 14, 2016 Brian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: finished
A life changing read ! Though written in 1993 this book remains quite relevant many years later. Introducing the Life-Purpose System which is a modern way of applying ancient wisdom the author travels a path that reveals meaning, direction and purpose that anyone can travel to find their life's meaning, their purpose and direction.

Often a funny read, this book gently guides the reader towards many realizations and to a desire to change within themselves what needs to be changed for their happine
Christina
Jul 20, 2009 Christina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is eerily accurate.

I'm a 30/3 and so learned that people with my numbers have "inherent gifts in any form of teaching, counseling, healing, performing or creative expression due to their ability to tune into people and subtle dimensions. They can be successful in any field, but they feel most fulfilled if their work offers opportunities for self-expression."

You might not want to hear what this book has to tell you.

Reading the sections on the 3, 0 and 30/3 brought things into clear rel
Polina
Apr 28, 2009 Polina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: available
Amazingly accurate to the point of anxiety - drills right down to the issues that have been haunting me for years and unfortunately does not provide any "quick fix" solutions but just acknowledges that that is something you will need to struggle with and overcome in your life. The 3 people including myself who read their "numbers" in the book all were taken aback how much it resembles their life issues so I would highly recommend it even for those who do not believe in horoscopes, zodiacs or any ...more
Tami
Feb 20, 2009 Tami rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Can your birth date really tell you about your life purpose?

Pick up a copy of The Life You Were Born To Live, you might be surprised. I know I was. I began working through the numerology exercises with a healthy amount of skepticism. Then, I started looking up my results. For me, the answers were spot on, even on the more negative parts of myself.

Now I have a little more clarity about my direction. I can watch for the negative traits and behaviors and see the insecurity that is actually at the
Cathy543os
Apr 30, 2013 Cathy543os rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have had this book since 1999 and have retread it so many times. I have found it most helpful if I am having issues with a particular individual. I just find out their birthday, read all about them and it amazes me how much more understanding I then have of who they are and how they relate to things. For myself when I first read it I thought well, that has absolutely nothing to do with me!!! I would read it once a year and slowly but surely everything that was in the book was totally relevant ...more
White
Aug 27, 2009 White rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My sweet daughter gave this to me this Christmas. She knew my fondness for Millman with The Way of the Peaceful Warrior. Like the genius she is, she went to the book store and picked a book out by author. I thought it was brilliant. Indeed, this book plays the mystery of numbers game and it is something of a mystical rendition of reality. But holy crap! It was so accurate I couldn't read it late at night because it was too scary. LOL It's like getting my step-daughter to read your Taro. You just ...more
Vanessa Vinos
Dec 26, 2014 Vanessa Vinos rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spiritual
This book is based on numerology. But even if you are new to that system it will be such an eye opener for you once you work out your numbers and read the relevant sections. Then do the same for the people in your life, and you will get a really good understanding of what makes each one of you tick, your strengths and weaknesses and how to work with them. I have given this book to friends as gifts as I think it really gives us a great understanding of who we are and in what direction we should b ...more
TW Yeung
May 31, 2015 TW Yeung rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliantly written, easy to follow and truly accurate in "analyzing" our life purpose according to our birthday. This is unexpected as Millman struck me always as a spiritual guidance guru and what he wrote this time even surpassed his reputation, for what he offered in this book is more valuable than a simple "astrological" reference but a genuine life tool.
Tristy
Jan 09, 2013 Tristy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: how-to, scavenged
Other than some interesting math and some good, general advice, I really don't put much into the theory that our birthdays determine who we are "meant to be." The section on "Laws" was interesting to read - I especially resonated with the "Law of Cycles." I'm all about the circle, y'all. Other than that? Kind of a waste of my precious reading time.
Eric Schalla
Aug 19, 2015 Eric Schalla rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Surprisingly very accurate, and full of insight. I am typically skeptical, but whether the science is there or not, I have found it to be very illuminating on areas that hold me back from pursuing my purpose.
Juanita
Dan Millman's guide to numerology. Fun to take a look at, but I didn't agree with alot of the information about my numbers. Interesting to keep around and look at every once in awhile.
LakshmiSandeep
Jul 20, 2016 LakshmiSandeep rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: inspirational
Awesome book . Lots of learnings to find out the purpose of Life on Earth . Inspiring to follow the passion which is actually the purpose as per the Millman calculator too !
Mark Laisure
Jun 12, 2011 Mark Laisure rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautifully insightful. Uncanny how it matches mine and those personalities, gifts and life struggles so perfectly.
Shirley
Mar 08, 2015 Shirley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another one I read sometime in the late 90's. Great book for personal discovery and exploration.
Saman Kashi
بعضيها به اين تيپ كتابها علاقه دارند ولي براي من يك شوخيه ...more
Vanessa
Sep 28, 2014 Vanessa rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Trying to put science behind finding one's passion/purpose is an interesting concept however when you "know" yourself then you know what your own personality traits are. If you are looking to this book to help find your path because you may be lost then please don't waste your time or money. I am still no closer to finding my own purpose. According to Dan, the answers are within - which I already know that however no amount of meditation for me is assisting me to access what these answers are an ...more
etherealfire
I need to re-read this book because I only remember being kind of underwhelmed at the time. I'm seriously considering re-reading just about everything on my bookshelves mainly because I am not the person I was when I originally read these books and I'd love to see how my perspective has changed over time and how well the books hold up. This book just might be more meaningful to me now - or not. If so, I've found a treasure. If not, I can send the book on its way. Since I now have my beloved kind ...more
Isabelydancer00
Feb 21, 2013 Isabelydancer00 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Isabelydancer00 by: Barb - wife of mmy boss
This book was recommended by mmy bosses wife. Seemmed to be the book to read at the timme - her and all her coworkers were highly recommending it to one another and everyone else.
It's a book on based on numerology. I'mm a 31/4. Basically, this nummber tends to skip steps and ends up having to retrace steps or start over. I can acknowledge that I do this often. I'mm doing mmy best, but even all these years later I find mmyself trying to bypass things or jummp ahead.
I finished reading the book an
Robert
First off, the whole thing does seem hokey to me, that your birthday determines your life path. I'm sure some people buy into it, but not so much myself. As I was reading though, I recalled a couple of things from past readings:
1) When we are looking or doing research, we focus on positive reinforcement. We look for information that validates what we want, not what contradicts it. For instance, if you really want to buy a particular car, you are far more likely to focus on positive reviews than
Katherine
Oct 18, 2013 Katherine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The focus is the life path based on the date we can never truly alter (birth date).

Good things about this book: it uncannily knew my strengths and some of my little known negative attributes. Although there are untruths, I find the suggestions helpful. Overall, it's very positive and veers off the typical made-up suggestions you read on horoscope sites. Entertaining.

Helpful in understanding others. I found that there are people I cannot understand and when I look up their birth date, I realize
Leandro Melendez
Mar 04, 2014 Leandro Melendez rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A pesar de que siempre he considerado la numerologia como cosas estilo horóscopo, fabricadas para ser aplicables a casi cualquier individuo, algo asi como "Hoy veras a muchas personas en la calle". O "Virgo, hoy te sorprenderá el hecho de tener 2 ojos".
Pero este libro expone la numerologia, desde una perspectiva, que al hacer comparaciones personales con conocidos, debo admitir, me impacto la precision de este.
Aun no me lo creo del todo, pero estuvo muy interesante!
Amie
This was a good book overall. Though I am not sure that the numerology aspect applies specifically, it does have good insight that anyone could use. I enjoyed it and found it insightful from that perspective.
Kalpana Singh
I would say, its actually a LIFE-MAP (not a novel) where u can know ur current location and can know which path u can follow...according to ur weaknesses and strengths. Dan has done a quite minute detailed study of life ....impressive and true 4 me
  • The Gift: Understand and Develop Your Psychic Abilities
  • Inspired & Unstoppable: Wildly Succeeding in Your Life's Work!
  • The Celestine Prophecy: An Experiential Guide
  • The Only Astrology Book You'll Ever Need
  • Power, Freedom, and Grace: Living from the Source of Lasting Happiness
  • Invisible Acts of Power: Channeling Grace in Your Everyday Life
  • Weaving the Visions: New Patterns in Feminist Spirituality
  • Asteroid Goddesses: The Mythology, Psychology and Astrology of the Re-Emerging Feminine
  • Spiritual Astrology: Your Personal Path to Self-Fulfillment
  • All About Me
Dan Millman is a former world champion athlete, university coach, martial arts instructor, and college professor.

After an intensive, twenty-year spiritual quest, Dan's teaching found its form as the Peaceful Warrior's Way, expressed fully in his books and lectures. His work continues to evolve over time, to meet the needs of a changing world.

--from the author's website
More about Dan Millman...