The Life You Were Born to Live: A Guide to Finding Your Life Purpose

The Life You Were Born to Live: A Guide to Finding Your Life Purpose

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  992 ratings  ·  107 reviews
Tells how to determine one's Pythagorean birth number and use it to find a new direction and meaning, improve relationships, find a fulfilling career, determine children's talents, and clarify issues of health, finance, and sex.
Kindle Edition
Published (first published 1993)

Jason Hull
I'm a 33/6. The laws section is the most significant area of the book. The book does seem to be eerily correct in nailing people's challenges and such. Not sure if this is due to the wording being generic enough for anything to be true or applicable, similar to fake psychic readings, but regardless it is fun to look up friends and family and will give insights into people. Some numbers so perfectly nailed people I know I was amazed and it helped me understand them better.

People who like this bo...more
Samantha
This book goes into numerology and provides insight to the life you were born to live based off of calculations you do with your birth numbers. I only read the part in this book relevant for my numbers, and a few of others close to me whose birthdays I knew. And for me and those I checked, the things that Millman had to say were pretty right on. It was very helpful and I think if you put the title in you google search you should find a PDF version which can allow you to peruse the pages on your...more
Kasi Iliopoulos
I just love this book! The insight it provides is accurate and helpful and sometimes confronting - which is how we instigate change within ourselves. I have lent this book out to friends 3 times - all three times the book was never returned to me. So I have purchased it four times - because it is one of my all time favourites.

What I like about it is that I can always refer to it at any given time and I always understand something new when I do. I love that. And I found it is a book that grows a...more
Natalie Maria
I am obsessed with this book. I'm not a hippy, I just find this kind of thing fascinating. Don't be fooled by the terribly cheesey title & cover; it is a fascinating numerology system that has Pythagorean lineage and appears to be scarily accurate.

It's unlike your typical horoscope-esque guide etc., it covers every possible number combination of the 20th century and gives a detailed 4-5 page break down for each of those combinations. The book is very easy to read, with an introduction to th...more
This book was a lot of fun and also very helpful. I was pleasantly surprised because this book exceeded my expectations. This is a book that I would consider a go to throughout my life. It is not overwhelming in its analysis or In the advice it gives for change. The way that Millman presents numerology makes you feel empowered and inspired. I am truly impressed with his writing, his message, and his mission to help people find meaning and purpose on their lives.

The only thing that I really want...more
Polina
Amazingly accurate to the point of anxiety - drills right down to the issues that have been haunting me for years and unfortunately does not provide any "quick fix" solutions but just acknowledges that that is something you will need to struggle with and overcome in your life. The 3 people including myself who read their "numbers" in the book all were taken aback how much it resembles their life issues so I would highly recommend it even for those who do not believe in horoscopes, zodiacs or any...more
Linda Gumper
The book made a huge difference in answering questions that I had about myself and now am checking it against the important people in my life. I read some of the other reviews and found them interesting. Some believe in the numerology and others don't. I guess the most important thing is that if you find inspiration great and if you don't. . you have the right idea to keep looking.
Tristy
Other than some interesting math and some good, general advice, I really don't put much into the theory that our birthdays determine who we are "meant to be." The section on "Laws" was interesting to read - I especially resonated with the "Law of Cycles." I'm all about the circle, y'all. Other than that? Kind of a waste of my precious reading time.
Etherealfire
I need to re-read this book because I only remember being kind of underwhelmed at the time. I'm seriously considering re-reading just about everything on my bookshelves mainly because I am not the person I was when I originally read these books and I'd love to see how my perspective has changed over time and how well the books hold up. This book just might be more meaningful to me now - or not. If so, I've found a treasure. If not, I can send the book on its way. Since I now have my beloved kind...more
Isabelydancer00
Feb 21, 2013 Isabelydancer00 rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Isabelydancer00 by: Barb - wife of mmy boss
This book was recommended by mmy bosses wife. Seemmed to be the book to read at the timme - her and all her coworkers were highly recommending it to one another and everyone else.
It's a book on based on numerology. I'mm a 31/4. Basically, this nummber tends to skip steps and ends up having to retrace steps or start over. I can acknowledge that I do this often. I'mm doing mmy best, but even all these years later I find mmyself trying to bypass things or jummp ahead.
I finished reading the book an...more
Christina
This book is eerily accurate.

I'm a 30/3 and so learned that people with my numbers have "inherent gifts in any form of teaching, counseling, healing, performing or creative expression due to their ability to tune into people and subtle dimensions. They can be successful in any field, but they feel most fulfilled if their work offers opportunities for self-expression."

You might not want to hear what this book has to tell you.

Reading the sections on the 3, 0 and 30/3 brought things into clear rel...more
Robert
First off, the whole thing does seem hokey to me, that your birthday determines your life path. I'm sure some people buy into it, but not so much myself. As I was reading though, I recalled a couple of things from past readings:
1) When we are looking or doing research, we focus on positive reinforcement. We look for information that validates what we want, not what contradicts it. For instance, if you really want to buy a particular car, you are far more likely to focus on positive reviews than...more
Katherine
The focus is the life path based on the date we can never truly alter (birth date).

Good things about this book: it uncannily knew my strengths and some of my little known negative attributes. Although there are untruths, I find the suggestions helpful. Overall, it's very positive and veers off the typical made-up suggestions you read on horoscope sites. Entertaining.

Helpful in understanding others. I found that there are people I cannot understand and when I look up their birth date, I realize...more
Leandro Melendez
A pesar de que siempre he considerado la numerologia como cosas estilo horóscopo, fabricadas para ser aplicables a casi cualquier individuo, algo asi como "Hoy veras a muchas personas en la calle". O "Virgo, hoy te sorprenderá el hecho de tener 2 ojos".
Pero este libro expone la numerologia, desde una perspectiva, que al hacer comparaciones personales con conocidos, debo admitir, me impacto la precision de este.
Aun no me lo creo del todo, pero estuvo muy interesante!
Tami
Can your birth date really tell you about your life purpose?

Pick up a copy of The Life You Were Born To Live, you might be surprised. I know I was. I began working through the numerology exercises with a healthy amount of skepticism. Then, I started looking up my results. For me, the answers were spot on, even on the more negative parts of myself.

Now I have a little more clarity about my direction. I can watch for the negative traits and behaviors and see the insecurity that is actually at the...more
Cathy543os
I have had this book since 1999 and have retread it so many times. I have found it most helpful if I am having issues with a particular individual. I just find out their birthday, read all about them and it amazes me how much more understanding I then have of who they are and how they relate to things. For myself when I first read it I thought well, that has absolutely nothing to do with me!!! I would read it once a year and slowly but surely everything that was in the book was totally relevant...more
White
My sweet daughter gave this to me this Christmas. She knew my fondness for Millman with The Way of the Peaceful Warrior. Like the genius she is, she went to the book store and picked a book out by author. I thought it was brilliant. Indeed, this book plays the mystery of numbers game and it is something of a mystical rendition of reality. But holy crap! It was so accurate I couldn't read it late at night because it was too scary. LOL It's like getting my step-daughter to read your Taro. You just...more
Travis Aardsma
Jul 15, 2011 Travis Aardsma rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: anyone who is interested
Recommended to Travis by: Paul and Janis Dalesandry
I read this ten years ago and was astonished by how relevant it was to my life at the time. It's far more amazing going through again ten years later. The parts that didn't seem relevant to me at time are dead on now, or more likely they have always been relevant but I am finally open and receptive enough to see it. You may not like what you read, at least for me those are the parts that I needed to hear the most. Like all of Dan Millman's books this one has the power to radically change your li...more
Aleisha Z Coleman
in a moment of "what the crap am i doing now that i am an adult" this book's title intrigued me. based on the numerology of your birthday it gives you some sweeping generalizations on 9 characters. My numbers were 33/6. my corresponding characters were expression and sensitivity and vision and acceptance. there was some relative stuff for me to consider. much in the same way i considered being an INTJ with the meyer-briggs personality code. really fun!
Susanne Alexander-Heaton
This book is one of my "reference books" that I always have ready especially when myself or others are going through a difficult time. The insight and wisdom in this book helps to shed so much light on why certain obstacles are put in our path. It not only helps you determine your obstacles, but also those of family and friends. Everyone I have shared this book with fully connects with what it is saying for them. I plan and simple LOVE this book.
Mahi Pant
I was inspired after reading this book to seriously study numerology. It offers deep insights into numerology and how it can be a tool for developing deeper understanding of self and life patterns. The book has great reference value and is of tremendous use for anyone wanting to reflect on their lives and finding their purpose and path to fulfillment.
Cathy
I really enjoyed this book. It gave me considerable insight in a presentation or filter I had not considered before or looked at in the light it provided. It is always healthy to see a reflection of ourselves, and when it reverberates as well as this book did, and provides guidance for direction of growth I get very excited.

I recently picked it up and looked at the material again and it was more refreshing the second time.
Carole
Excellent et surprenant livre sur la numérologie de Dan Millman. Vraiment ce n'est pas qu'un simple livre de numérologie. C'est LE livre à avoir si vous voulez en savoir plus sur vous et votre entourage. J'ai vraiment été stupéfaite et découvrant que mon entourage est pas mal composé des mêmes chiffres. Tous mes colocs sont des 35/8 comme mon frère. Bref mêmes les plus septiques seront très surpris par ce contenu ! Bonne lecture ;-)
DeAnne Wolfgram
A book I have referenced numerous times. I had already intuitively recognized my connection to the visions and missions of George Lucas, James Redfield and Maria Montessori when I sat down one day and discovered that my life purpose number and theirs are the same in this Pythagorean based numerology system. It is not necessarily the definitive book of numerology yet I have found it intriguing and useful at many times.
Randy
After reading this book, I learned so much about where the primary differences in people are based, or can be based. I can't reccomend a book to read more highly than this one. It can tell you so much about yourself and help you tremendously in your relationships with other people, if you fully understand its significance. Please read this book- it should be required reading in every senior high school English classroom.
Elvia
This book doesn't answer what you should do with your life, but it gives insight into what your birth number says about you, as an individual, and what you need to strive for in your life, in order to be successful and happy with yourself! It's a must read! You don't read it from start to finish, you read it based on what your birth number is and the book tells you how to calculate it as well.
Ariel
I found it accurate for me, but your results may vary. Of course, having the same path as Stephen King made me feel a whole lot better about my dreams of a career in writing, so perhaps that colors my review somewhat ;) I feel that if any system helps you understand yourself and others better then it has done its job and does not need points detracted for not having a scientific basis.
Aj Mojaddidi
I read this book after reading the Way of the Peaceful Warrior and noticed that this book followed the same positive take on living for the moment as Warrior. The book further helps the reader breakdown the purpose of life based on a complex formula using date of birth. Not sure if I bought into the whole concept but the Author's recommendations were insightful and beneficial.
Tracy Gilliom
I love this book! Even if you don't buy into numerology, the suggested contemplations on virtues is worth the read. I find myself using this book as a reference for my life and in understanding others!
Nico Bancila
It's a great book. I found it very insightful. Every person to whom I have told what his/her number meant were impressed and admitted to be true what I had told them.

Yes, it is based on numerology but it offers a great insight so even if you do not believe in numerology and things like that, just keep an open-mind and you will be surprised.
  • All About Me
  • Living in the Light: A Guide to Personal and Planetary Transformation
  • The Celestine Prophecy: AN EXPERIENTIAL GUIDE
  • Initiation
  • The Eye of the I: From Which Nothing is Hidden
  • The Secret Language of Birthdays: Personology Profiles for Each Day of the Year
  • The Voice of Knowledge: A Practical Guide to Inner Peace
  • Creating Money: Keys to Abundance
  • When Everything Changes, Change Everything: In a Time of Turmoil, A Pathway to Peace
  • Through Time Into healing
  • Sacred Space: Clearing and Enhancing the Energy of Your Home
  • The Way of the Wizard: Twenty Spiritual Lessons for Creating the Life You Want
  • The Power Is Within You
  • Destiny of Souls: New Case Studies of Life Between Lives
  • Soul Retrieval: Mending the Fragmented Self: Mending the Fragmented Self Through Shamanic Practice
  • Invisible Acts of Power: Channeling Grace in Your Everyday Life
  • Medicine Cards: The Discovery of Power Through the Ways of Animals
  • The Passion Test: The Effortless Path to Discovering Your Destiny
Dan Millman is a former world champion athlete, university coach, martial arts instructor, and college professor.

After an intensive, twenty-year spiritual quest, Dan's teaching found its form as the Peaceful Warrior's Way, expressed fully in his books and lectures. His work continues to evolve over time, to meet the needs of a changing world.

--from the author's website
More about Dan Millman...
Way of the Peaceful Warrior: A Book That Changes Lives Sacred Journey of the Peaceful Warrior The Journeys of Socrates (Peaceful Warrior Saga) No Ordinary Moments: A Peaceful Warrior's Guide to Daily Life The Laws of Spirit: A Tale of Transformation