Start by marking “Guards! Guards! (Discworld, #8; City Watch #1)” as Want to Read:
Guards! Guards! (Discworld, #8; City Watch #1)

Guards! Guards! (Discworld #8)

4.31  ·  Rating Details ·  116,060 Ratings  ·  2,526 Reviews
Here there be dragons . . . and the denizens of Ankh-Morpork wish one huge firebreather would return from whence it came. Long believed extinct, a superb specimen of draco nobilis ("noble dragon" for those who don't understand italics) has appeared in Discworld's greatest city. Not only does this unwelcome visitor have a nasty habit of charbroiling everything in its path, ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 376 pages
Published August 2001 by HarperTorch (first published August 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Guards! Guards!, please sign up.

Tyson Fritz This would be a great book to read as a first Terry Pratchett book because it is one of his best. You don't have to read any of the other ones but…moreThis would be a great book to read as a first Terry Pratchett book because it is one of his best. You don't have to read any of the other ones but you'll want to.(less)
Joseph It's intended audience is adult. There are some adult themes that are not explicitly written about. There are subtleties that might be missed by…moreIt's intended audience is adult. There are some adult themes that are not explicitly written about. There are subtleties that might be missed by younger readers. I just re-read the book, and it still has as much relevance as it did when it first came out.

If looking for something Terry Pratchett for younger readers, try Wee Free Men. It's just as good, but is intended for a younger audience.(less)

Patrick
Jun 29, 2009 Patrick rated it it was amazing
I've been re-reading some of the older Pratchett novels. Partly because I simply enjoy them. Partly because they help keep me sane in an increasingly infuriating world. And partly because they are comfortable to me. The literary equivalent of a security blanket.

But I'll be honest, I'm also reading them so I can postpone reading the final Pratchett novel that came out a little while ago. It will be hard for me to read that, knowing that afterwards, there will be no more new Pratchett to read. Ev
Deborah Markus
Sep 23, 2014 Deborah Markus rated it it was amazing
How To Read Terry Pratchett's Discworld Novels

1. Skip the first two books in the series. This is crucial. If you read these first, you will be rightly annoyed by their just-barely-okayness, and spend the rest of your life muttering about how overrated he is.

Terry Pratchett wrote these two books. Then all of a sudden he started writing really, really well. I don't know what happened. Maybe he sold his soul. My own theory is that his long-suffering wife waited as patiently as she could for him to
Nataliya

What I love most about Pratchett's books is that under a thin layer of funny footnotes-peppered pun-heavy parody lies the core of deep seriousness rooted in the quite sobering understanding of the shallow pettiness of human mundanity fueled by jealousy, bile, spite, and closemindedness.
"There was a thoughtful pause in the conversation as the assembled Brethren mentally divided the universe into the deserving and the undeserving, and put themselves on the appropriate side."
In the end, the only
Lyn
Feb 04, 2017 Lyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hooray for Sir Terry Pratchett!

I submit that the best way to rate a Discworld book is with a smile meter. As you read, imagine that there is a meter whose arrow jumps when you smile, moves further right when you chuckle and spikes into the read eleven when you laugh out loud.

Pratchett’s 1989 Discworld novel (his 8th in the series and 1st of the City Watch sub-series) made me smile all the way through the book, chuckle frequently and laugh out loud two or three times.

Granny Weathwax may still be
Apatt
Mar 15, 2015 Apatt rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi, favorites, fantasy
At the time of writing, Terry Pratchett passed away about a week ago. Beside making me sad, the news also triggered a sudden urge to read a Discworld book which needed to be satisfied immediately. I haven't read any Terry Pratchett books for years. I have always liked them but there are just so many books in the world and you know how it is, one thing led to another and somehow they didn't lead back to Sir Terry. In the meantime, I have been reading many inferior “flavor of the month” books like ...more
Carol.
Aug 31, 2015 Carol. rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, humor
First of all, my site has the videos that go with this: https://clsiewert.wordpress.com/2015/...

But here's the lite version:

My Terry Pratchett Experience ™ is remarkably similar to my Month Python Experience.™ Fun and funny, but really best done in small doses. Say, 15 minute doses if I’m watching, longer if I’m reading.

It turns out, I haven’t read Guards!Guards! before, although I thought I had. Quite possibly, it is because I had not. Quite possibly, it’s because I had and forgot, but you’d t
Jokoloyo
Dec 03, 2016 Jokoloyo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Before Guards! Guards!, Discworld novels are pretty good. This book is the FIRST GREAT Discworld novel in the series.

The foundations of successful formula of Watch sub-series are already on this novel(view spoiler)
Michael
Nov 24, 2014 Michael rated it liked it
Recommended to Michael by: Nataliya
Shelves: humor, fiction, fantasy, magic
I delighted in another visit to Discworld as an escape into the satire and silliness. But I found I had to be in the right mood, so it took me a long time to finish the book in small doses, the safest way with a dangerous recreational drug.

Our hero, Captain Vimes of the Night Watch, has less and less to do in his service to the metropolis of Anakh-Morpork. The city bureaucracy has become so efficient that all criminal sectors have become sanctioned under a set of guilds, allowing for a stable cr
Ashley
Jul 19, 2008 Ashley rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: bibliophiles, anglophiles, thingy
(4.5 stars, really.)

Perfectly structured, from beginning to end. Mean without being nasty, funny without being stupid. Insightful without being preachy. Terry Pratchett has a gift for lovingly pointing out the stupidities of the human condition.

This particular one is quite delightful. It's got dragons, a man named Carrot, and a group of three men who make up the city law enforcement, inept and lovable guardians of the backwards and corrupted joyful logic of the city called Ankh-Morpork.

Let me
Richard Derus
Feb 09, 2013 Richard Derus rated it liked it
Rating: 3* of five

The Book Description: Here there be dragons . . . and the denizens of Ankh-Morpork wish one huge firebreather would return from whence it came. Long believed extinct, a superb specimen of draco nobilis ("noble dragon" for those who don't understand italics) has appeared in Discworld's greatest city. Not only does this unwelcome visitor have a nasty habit of charbroiling everything in its path, in rather short order it is crowned King (it is a noble dragon, after all . . .).

Mean
Rob
Mar 16, 2015 Rob rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Executive Summary: I've had numerous people tell me this is the Discworld book to start with, and now I know why. Easily my favorite so far. 4.5 stars.

Full Review
My Discworld read continues, and finally I come to infamous Guards! Guards! I know there are fancy diagrams and details on all the different ways you can read Discworld, but I prefer publish order. I've enjoyed all of the Discworld books so far, albeit some more than others. I generally seem to enjoy the Rincewind books less than I ha
Megan Baxter
May 01, 2012 Megan Baxter rated it really liked it
There is a kind of book that is exactly the right thing to read when you got up at 5:20 AM to catch a bus to a conference, and have since, without having a nap, listened to six academic papers, and need something to read while eating and before bed.

In the meantime, you can read the entire review at Smorgasbook
Kathleen
I've read Sir Terry Pratchett's entire City Watch Series and the related Moist Von Lipvig / Modernization series (books listed below, in order). The entire series gets 4.5 solid stars, and it all starts here, with this book, and these characters (especially Captain Vimes). Such fun! Danger, suspense, action, relationship, character-development, humor, punnery, and plenty of satire. Plus, a little romance and...here be dragons.

Guards Guards is the first book in the Discworld sub-series, where we
Vagner Stefanello
Review in Portuguese from Desbravando Livros:

Depois de ter lido Pequenos Deuses, senti que precisava saber um pouquinho mais sobre Discworld, o famoso universo criado pelo já falecido autor Terry Pratchett e sucesso de vendas mundo afora.

Aqui somos apresentados à cidade de Ankh-Morpork, onde a Patrulha/Guarda Municipal atua e agora recebe o reforço do "anão" de quase 2 metros Cenoura Ironfoundersson, que acreditava estar ingressando num dos órgãos mais respeitados de todo o Disco. Ah, mas que be
Tfitoby
Apr 25, 2014 Tfitoby rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantastical
Brilliant! Brilliant! Brilliant!

The debut outing of Sam Vimes, Carrot Ironfoundersson, Fred Colon, Nobby Nobbs, Sybil Ramkin, Detritus and Cutmeownthroat Dibbler,and what a barnstorming adventure it is. At this stage The Watch are a down and out bunch of losers who prefer to hide in the dark than doing any policing, led by the now legendary Sam Vimes who you'll find face down in the gutter drinking his misery away. And there are plots afoot in the city of Ankh-Morpork, plots to overthrow the Pat
Trelawn
Apr 15, 2017 Trelawn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great story which details the rise from the gutters of the Night Watch and it's misfit bunch of heroes: Vimes, Colon, Nobby and new recruit Carrott. The Patrician is ousted from power by the arrival of a magical dragon and it is up to the Watch ( led by Vimes) assisted by swamp dragon breeder Lady Sybil Ramkin and the deputised Librarian to figure out who summoned the dragon and to restore order (of a sort) to the city. Loved this. Will definitely be reading more Watch books.
Veronique
Nov 02, 2016 Veronique rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“Someone out there was about to find that their worst nightmare was a maddened Librarian. With a badge.”

My first Pratchett book - finally!

Had no idea what to expect, apart of course from the author’s huge reputation, which did worry me a little. What if I didn’t like it?… Pfew! I DID like it :O)

The first thing that hit me was Pratchett’s writing style, full of metaphors, puns and irony. What looks like silliness is in fact very clever and comical. The play on words and cliches (as well as many
Melki
Oct 17, 2012 Melki rated it it was amazing
David Sarkies
Nov 25, 2012 David Sarkies rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Pretty much anybody who likes a good laugh
Recommended to David by: Stewart
Shelves: comedy
Turning the Cannon-fodder into heroes
1 December 2012

'This is probably the first democratically killed dragon, one man, one stab.'

If I were to pull out one theme from this book I would have to say that it is about the fickleness of the mob. Basically the mob, or as in this book, the population of Ankh-Morpork, simply switch and change throughout but really have no understanding about what they really want. It is not about the overthrow of an evil tyrant to be replaced with a good king, particula
Liv (Оља)
Had anyone asked me one year ago whether Terry Pratchett was an author I'd like to check out, my response would have been: nah. Right now, I have no clue why past me had an aversion towards his works (but let's be honest, the covers could have had something to do with it, since they looked appalling), because present me is HOOKED!

I didn't know this book had been that one thing missing in my life until I'd finally finished it. Reading it felt like going home to...well, to everything. Guards! Guar
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
It was kind of a fun read, but I found myself getting a little bored and skimming toward the end. To all my friends who love the Discworld series:

description

It's probably just me, but I don't think Captain Vimes and I are Meant To Be. Or Discworld and I, for that matter.
Shovelmonkey1
Jan 05, 2012 Shovelmonkey1 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: all Discworld fans
Recommended to Shovelmonkey1 by: all pratchett's previous books
"Guards! Guards!"
Based on the original line up and moral background of the guards in question, you would be forgiven for thinking that the shout of "Guards! Guards!" across the rooftops of Ankh Morpork would be shouted in the sense of "Watch out the guards are coming, hide the beer and any other portable victuals and keep that Burleigh and Stronginthearm out of sight lest they nick it". Rather than the more usual "help me please Mr Officer-of-the-law as something untoward is afoot."

This is the f
Jared
Oct 19, 2007 Jared rated it it was amazing
Terry Pratchett is a comic genius. In this first installment of the "Watch" series in his Discworld (a world not quite entirely unlike our own), we meet Captain Vimes of the Ankh Morpork Night Watch and a selection of his fine men as they face down a fire-breathing dragon with kingly aspirations.

This book has more one-liners than a joke book ("The people united can never be ignited!"), and is significantly funnier. Terry Pratchett also works his genius with situational irony: Nothing prepares a
Cherie
Dec 30, 2014 Cherie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: series
"Perhaps the magic would last. Perhaps it wouldn't. But then, what does?"

The magic is still there for me.
Layton
*Reposting today* RIP Terry Pratchett 1948-2015

********

In late 2007, Terry Pratchett was diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease.

I was very young at the time but I still remember it happening because one of my cousins is a huge fan of Sir Terry. It was devastating to her. Now, almost 7 years later, it is devastating to me too.

Alzheimer's is a serious issue on my father's side of the family. We usually go to the family cemetery on Memorial Day weekend with some of my older great aunts and uncles. So
j
Dec 13, 2014 j rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ahhh, that's good dragon.
Skip
Jan 05, 2009 Skip rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, humor
First Terry Prachett Discworld book for me. A bit slow for awhile, but I liked the Clint Eastwood dialogue.

3/26/16: I love the City Watch series and characters, what a hoot!!
Marina
I hope Death is taking good care of Sir Terry Pratchett, because when he comes to take me to the other side, I’d like to kiss Sir Terry on the mouth. Because I’m in love.

I don’t think words like clever, witty, cynical, hilarious, dark, gut-busting-funny really do justice to his writing, but it’s kind of all of those combined and you get this amazing writing that is both funny, clever, and underneath it all incredibly dark and somewhat sobering. But how else do you point out to people all that is
Camille Stein
May 28, 2013 Camille Stein rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Un buen número de las religiones de Ankh-Morpork seguían practicando los sacrificios humanos, aunque la verdad es que ya no necesitaban practicarlos, porque se les daban muy bien. Las leyes de la ciudad decían que sólo se podía utilizar a criminales condenados, pero eso no tenía mayor importancia, porque en la mayoría de las religiones el negarse a presentarse voluntario para el sacrificio era un crimen castigado con la muerte.

Quizá la magia perduraría. Quizá no. Pero ¿acaso hay algo que dure p
Richard
Mar 20, 2015 Richard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comedy, fantasy
8.5/10

A highly enjoyable entry into the Discworld series and a start of a new sub-series, "The Watch" series. This is basically Terry Pratchett does the police with his unique style of humour and insight. If you've read any previous novels in the Discworld series you know what to expect, if you haven't then this is a great entry point.

For, what is primarily, a comedy there is some great character progression and none more so than Captain Vimes. When first introduced to Vimes we see him at the bo
Watch Hindi Medium hindi movie 1 3 May 18, 2017 07:17AM
Around the Year i...: Guards! Guards! (Discworld #8), by Terry Pratchett 3 11 Feb 09, 2017 08:41AM
Play Book Tag: Guards! Guards! by Terry Pratchett 1 12 Nov 02, 2016 09:02AM
Challenge: 50 Books: April Group Read: Guards, Guards 1 11 Apr 01, 2016 04:11AM
Why does America have boring covers... 30 504 Feb 18, 2016 02:34PM
  • The Brentford Chainstore Massacre
  • The Better Mousetrap (J. W. Wells & Co., #5)
  • Another Fine Myth (Myth Adventures, #1)
  • Something Rotten (Thursday Next, #4)
  • The Mammoth Book of Comic Fantasy
  • A Night in the Lonesome October
  • Dark Lord of Derkholm
  • Rumo & His Miraculous Adventures (Zamonia, #3)
  • The Scar (Bas-Lag, #2)
  • Gormenghast

More about Terry Pratchett...

Discworld (1 - 10 of 41 books)
  • The Color of Magic (Discworld, #1; Rincewind #1)
  • The Light Fantastic (Discworld, #2; Rincewind #2)
  • Equal Rites (Discworld, #3; Witches #1)
  • Mort (Discworld, #4; Death, #1)
  • Sourcery (Discworld, #5; Rincewind #3)
  • Wyrd Sisters (Discworld, #6; Witches #2)
  • Pyramids (Discworld, #7)
  • Eric (Discworld, #9; Rincewind #4)
  • Moving Pictures (Discworld, #10; Industrial Revolution, #1)
  • Reaper Man (Discworld, #11; Death, #2)

“A good bookshop is just a genteel Black Hole that knows how to read.” 1188 likes
“If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.” 722 likes