Lockdown (Escape From Furnace, #1)

Lockdown (Escape From Furnace #1)

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  9,707 ratings  ·  1,235 reviews
Furnace Penitentiary: the world’s most secure prison for young offenders, buried a mile beneath the earth’s surface. Convicted of a murder he didn’t commit, sentenced to life without parole, “new fish” Alex Sawyer knows he has two choices: find a way out, or resign himself to a death behind bars, in the darkness at the bottom of the world. Except in Furnace, death is the
Hardcover, 1st Edition, 273 pages
Published October 27th 2009 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR) (first published March 5th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Lockdown, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lockdown

The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsCatching Fire by Suzanne CollinsMockingjay by Suzanne CollinsDivergent by Veronica RothInsurgent by Veronica Roth
YA Dystopia Novels
89th out of 653 books — 7,615 voters
Divergent by Veronica RothMatched by Ally CondieThe Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsWither by Lauren DeStefanoIncarnate by Jodi Meadows
Best Covers of YA Dystopian Novels
53rd out of 137 books — 348 voters

More lists with this book...

Brandi
I think I'm going to bump this to 4.5 stars because I can't stop thinking about it! In fact, when I went to sleep I was picturing the wheezers and literally had to remind myself that it was just a story...it's not real Brandi...it's ok...you're a big girl....ok fine, just cuddle up to the mister..he's asleep so he won't know how big of a baby you're being... That was me at 1 in the morning. True story, haha.

I don't typically read books that have a horror element to them because of the fact that...more
Haley Mathiot
My summary: Alex was like any other boy. Go to school, hang out with his group, and control the monkey bars. But when he started stealing, his life changed for the worse. Out of nowhere, his best friend is murdered, and he is framed for it. he is sent to the child prison: a Hell hole. Worse than Hell. Furnace. When he’s there, he is disgusted with the way people live. Kids do hard labor like chipping rock. Gangs kill kids. and he isn’t the only innocent person who was framed. But there’s no ho...more
Aik Chien 인첸
I usually don't say this, but...

Lockdown. Is. Amazing!!! *inserts hardcore-fan squeal*

Being super engrossing and totally un-put-down-able, I couldn't stop reading this book, and ended up finishing it by 4 o'clock in the morning, only then did I close the book with a satisfied smile on my face and went to bed dreaming about Alex's Escape.

What I love about this book:

1. A hero with a complex personality. Alex Sawyer is a school bully, a thief and a burgular --- but never a killer. After he is...more
Anna
Lockdown follows the story of Alex Sawyer, a young delinquent who, along with his best friend, makes a habit of entering people’s houses and stealing whatever they can put their hands on. One night though, everything goes wrong. Alex promised himself that after one last job, he’d stop stealing. But nothing goes as planned after his best friend is murdered right in front of him, and Alex is the one convicted for the murder. He’s then thrown into Furnace, an underground prison, where are sent youn...more
Karen
OMG!!! Another amazing book! I am so glad that I bought this book and I cannot wait for the next one to come out...

This book is a horror/creepy/action book and it does not disappoint. It is the first book in a 5 book series and these books will definitely be pre-ordered asap.

Alex is the main character in this book and he is framed for murder and sent to The Furnace Penitentary. A prison that was built 5-6yrs ago to house kids (up til the age of 18) that are convicted of serious crimes. There is...more
Nicole
You know, I'm going to add James Patterson's quote about Lockdown to the list of reasons why I really want to slap him sometimes. "Furnace will hook boys with it's gritty, unrelenting surprises." Really? Because girls can't enjoy a good horrific dystopian thriller.

Men. Honestly.

However, I do understand what he was saying. Because Furnace is divided up into men and women areas - I'm assuming, anyway - there's not one female character in the book. Understandably, it's harder to relate to, which is...more
Jenn
4.5. This was heading for a 4, but that ending made me grin so much.

This ends on a cliffhanger. This book barely skims the surface of this prison, society, and characters. This books raises more questions than answers them.

For a YA novel, I consider it very dark. Children that are killers, gangs, no skin dogs that eat children, soulless silver-eyed men, child labor, etc.

As dark as it got at times, the novel was sprinkled with much needed humor and hope. There was one time I swear I could hear...more
1JuneO
THIS IS A SPOILER!!!!!!

Lockdown escape from furnace is an amazing thriller by Alexander Gordon Smith; I love this book so far. In this story a boy named Alex Sawyer and how he was framed for the murder of his best friend Toby.Alex is a complex individual he was a good kid until one day he stoled money from a kid his friends were bulling . After that day he felt consumed by guilt but motivated by greed. He is a teenager and considers himself a criminal.
All he had to do was "one last job." Toby...more
Grace
Thoughts While Reading
(just my opinions, others may disagree)

pg. 89 of 521
PROS: plot & the creepy and suspenseful aspects
CONS: though completely fictional,thought the way the main character was tried to be a little too dramatic and far fetched
- The judge laughed at him
- The jury laughed at him
- The judge was sarcastic and rude, to a 13 year old boy mind you, saying things like he wishes he could 'hang him for his crimes'
- Where the hell was this kid's attorney?
- The jury's decision only to...more
Isamlq
The writing is very descriptive up to the point of being tedious but that’s fine because the plot’s simple enough to follow: Alex is not a good kid. He is a bully and a thief. His life of petty crime changes once he is sent to the Furnace. Now consider the tag line:

Beneath Heaven is Hell. Beneath Hell is Furnace.

Scary? Yes? No? If this were one’s first foray into the world of YA horror/thriller (or whatever genre Lockdown can be classified under,) I definitely say yes. But is it sad that I di...more
Jessica
cliffhanger ending, but good overall story of underground prison and several kids falsey accused; add in grotesque creatures and some blood, and it is on!
Ashley
Jan 31, 2011 Ashley rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of The Maze Runner
Tammy Dahle
My thoughts:
CREEPY! There are parts of this book that literally made the little hairs on the back of my neck stand up. YIKES!
Main character Alex has been thrown into something beyond his wildest nightmares-a juvenile center called The Furnace. Somehow, he must survive and escape the furnace before the giants in black suits make a visit to his cell. He's not sure where they take the kids after the visits but he does know that something beyond horrible happens to them and they are changed, it's po...more
Julia
Alex wasn't a criminal, he was framed; he watched someone wearing a terrifying gas mask murder his best friend right in front of him, and now he was being blamed for it. Prison isn't like it used to be since the Summer of Slaughter, and now, criminals are sent to the Furnace, one step bellow Hell.

Nobody realizes how bad the Furnace is when they first get there. The cell's are steel cages with small bunk beds and a toilet. Meals are the same slop that is liquefied food that has been rotting or d...more
Mitchel Broussard
Alex Sawyer gets committed to Furnace Penitentiary for murdering his friend. But he didn't do it, some huge, hulking bastard with crazy eyes did it, then framed him. And ever since those kids went crazy and mass-murdered thousands, the government has a zero-tolerance policy on kid violence. (The actual year isn't told, but Alex makes a reference to the "seventh Indiana Jones movie", so it's decades at the least.)

And when Alex gets to Furnace, and discovers these giants are the guards of the plac...more
Amadou710
This book is one of the best boooks if ever read in the 6th grade to the 7th grade. This book just makes you want to make you read more and more. This book is between horror and mystery. Its bone chillling and full of fast pacing action.

THis book is about a teenage kid and he starts robbing hoses with his friend toby. They plot to robb a house which the owners are off in a vacation. They dont know this is a trap. They go in and they split up toby searches the living rooms and alex goes up stai...more
Laura Lee Anderson
I made it to page 40.

I can't remember the last time I just put down a book because I couldn't take it any more! Oh wait- the 3rd (or 4th?) book in the Gone series. And for the same reason- there was no hope.

The first chapter gave me hope- it was an exciting chase scene. The monster was innovative. The chaos was fun to envision. But from there on... it did not deliver.

First of all, the protagonist didn't have much of a personality. I'm sure it will develop over time, but there weren't even glimp...more
John Reinke
Lockdown is an amazing book. Alexander Gordon Smith does a great job of making sure that I understand what Alex is thinking, feeling, and sensing in his environment. The descriptions of the setting were so detailed, I felt like I was actually in the prison, following Alex's every step, from the slow walking to the chipping room, to the hurried jogging to the cafeteria, to the terrified running from the Skulls (one of the prison gangs) or the warden's dogs. In fact, Smith describes it so well, I'...more
WilowRaven
Wow. What a thrill ride! I first picked up Lockdown with the intention of reading only a few pages but before I knew it I had 1/3 of the book done. I was ripped into the story, throw around, and spit back out...and then I asked for more.

A Dystopian version of the not so distant future where intense violence committed by young offenders has pushed society to the extreme. Life imprisonment in Furnace. A prison built from the very earth. One way in and no way out.

Beneath Heaven is Hell. Beneath Hel...more
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Hayes aka Haute Librarian

The future has arrived, and teen gangs are ruling the streets. Due to major carnage during the "Summer of Slaughter," authorities have cracked down and opened Furnace Penitentiary, a prison set deep underground for the worst teen offenders, where they will never see the light of day again.

Alex Sawyer is sentenced to Furnace after being convicted of murdering his best friend, Toby. Alex says over and over again that he did not kill Toby, but his protests fall...more
Jack Manning
The Book Lock-down, written by Alexander Smith, was one of the best books I have read for the past year. It is a faced paced book with intense and frightening scenes. If you don't like thrill seeking and scary stories I highly disagree with you reading it. The story starts when Alex is explaining his criminal life of how he would steal from wealthy houses and they would make bank on every house they hit. On the last job he did before getting framed " Then the black shadow moved, sweeping downwar...more
Jane Lee
Ah, Goodreads recommendations, what would I ever do without you?

I was mulling over the recommendations page, searching for something exciting and just desperately unique when I came across this book, which is to say I heavily enjoyed it.

Plot holes and Smith's tendency to drive home plot points in advance aside, I found this book engrossing that I ate hurried meals in the hopes of getting back to where I left off. There are some facets of the book that leaves me with more questions and has encour...more
Abbie
When Alex gets framed for murder, he ends up in the furnace.
The furnace is a hellhole prison for youths, and if you end up there, you're there to the day you die.

This was an action packed book, and was full of creepy stuff.

The masked guards and fleshless dogs were really really creepy. They were written with so much detail that my heart did little flips whenever they made an appearance.

I really loved the characters. They were in such a horrible place, but they still kept on coming out with the...more
Matt Abhold
Lockdown: Escape From Furnace (Book 1)
Alexander Gordon Smith
I really liked this book because the story line is very well written. The way the author starts the book is just to get you hooked on it and I think it works. He uses very good description and he shows the characters as real people. Not superhuman. Just real people.
The beginning starts off slow but you get more into it as you read. Alex Sawyer, an average teenaged kid, starts to bully and steal money from kids that were younger than h...more
Jacob

In the book “Lock Down” the main character Alex, gets thrown into prison for the murder of his best friend, that he didn’t commit. It is a maximum security center where the inmates go in and they don’t come out. Alex meets up with a couple of people that he gets along with and he convinces them that there is an escape plan. They just have to find it and create a well thought out plan to keep them alive long enough to be able to see the outside world again. This is when the real action begins.

In...more
Noella
The premise of this book sounded unique and intriguing and I was gearing myself up for a creepy read. The book starts out with a glimpse of what is happening to our main character Alex as he's running from some demonic creature in the Furnace prison. We later get the story of how he got himself into this so called prison. It was quite disturbing to see that the society in the book didn't make prison a last resort but made kids go straight to prison when they did something wrong. The reason of th...more
Baily Volpel
“Lock down” is a phenomenal book about a boy named Alex who is falsely accused of murdering his best friend and is sent away to a place called “ The Furnace Penitentiary “. The Furnace is a place where only the worst of the worst juvenile delinquency go to rot away the rest of their lives. They say the prison is inescapable, but Alex isn't going to accept that.

Alex is a sixteen year old boy who is good at heart but does a lot of bad things. Growing up he and his friends would pick on kids at sc...more
Melissa (YA Book Shelf)
One of the best boy books I've read so far. Alexander Gordon Smith claimed that the main character Alex Sawyer gets into danger at every turn, whereas some books never put the hero in harms way. But having read the book, I can say that Smith's claim is 100% true.
Zach Hansen
This book, “LockDown: Escape From Furnace,” is by far the best book I have ever read. It has an awesome opening, talking about the characters and such, and how Alex Sawyer managed to get stuck in this hell defined prison of misery. The tragedies that happen in this prison change Alex as he and some fellow inmates try to find a way out of this inescapable hell-hole.

As the story progresses the characters soon become accustomed to the ways of Furnace Penitentiary and its devilishly evil Warden and...more
Should I read this? 25 83 May 19, 2014 08:04PM
Bridges English 2...: Lockdown escape from furnace 7 6 Apr 09, 2014 06:58AM
Is he Britsh or not? 17 75 Apr 08, 2014 07:03AM
YA Buddy Readers'...: Lockdown by Alexander Gordon Smith - Starting 16th February 12 19 Feb 27, 2014 09:59PM
What's your favorite character? 33 53 Jun 11, 2013 11:57PM
Crazy for Young A...: Lockdown by Alexander Gordon Smith → Start Date: December 22nd, 2012 28 40 May 28, 2013 08:34AM
  • The Enemy (The Enemy, #1)
  • 20 Years Later
  • Empty
  • Scored
  • Ashes (Ashes Trilogy, #1)
  • Black Hole Sun (Hell's Cross, #1)
  • The Compound (The Compound, #1)
  • The Roar (The Roar, #1)
  • The Pearl Wars (Skyship Academy, #1)
  • The Loners (Quarantine, #1)
  • Variant (Variant, #1)
  • Rot and Ruin (Benny Imura, #1)
  • Dark Inside (Dark Inside, #1)
  • Rikers High
  • The Declaration (The Declaration, #1)
  • Famished
  • Passenger (The Marbury Lens, #2)
  • Truancy (Truancy, #1)
Alexander Gordon Smith is the author of the Escape from Furnace series of young adult novels, including Lockdown and Solitary. Born in 1979 in Norwich, England, he always wanted to be a writer. After experimenting in the service and retail trades for a few years, Smith decided to go to University. He studied English and American Literature at the University of East Anglia, and it was here that he...more
More about Alexander Gordon Smith...
Solitary (Escape From Furnace, #2) Death Sentence (Escape From Furnace, #3) Fugitives (Escape From Furnace, #4) Execution (Escape From Furnace, #5) The Fury (The Fury, #1)

“Don't make the mistake of bringing your heart down here with you, there is no place for it in Furnace.” 50 likes
“When you're locked up in here for life, you learn to welcome the little freedoms.” 38 likes