Last Breath (The Rayne Tour, #2)

Last Breath (The Rayne Tour #2)

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  231 ratings  ·  31 reviews
The suspenseful and emotion-filled second book in the Rayne series begins where the first book ended with a dying man whispering four stunning words into Shaley O Connor s ear. Should she believe him? After two murders on the Rayne concert tour, Shaley is reeling. But she has no time to rest. If the dying man s claim is right, the danger is far from over. Shaley s quest fo...more
Published September 28th 2009 by Zondervan (first published 2009)

Crystal
I thoroughly enjoyed the first book in The Rayne Tour but I was blown away by the second book, Last Breath.

I enjoyed the past/present switching that the authors used in this book. It worked really well to explain Rayne's story to Shaley. I also liked how the book mainly focused on the two main characters so I really got to know them. It's very fast-paced and enjoyable.

Since it's the second in a series, I believe the first book, Always Watching needs to be read first. That's not always true in se...more
Kristi (Books and Needlepoint)
This book picks up exactly where book 1 - Always Watching ended. Caution - spoilers if you have not read the first book!

Shaley and her mother's band are headed back to the hotel after their bus driver, Jerry, is killed. He had been the one who had murdered Shaley's friend Tom and he was also the one stalking her. The last thing he said to her was "Your father sent me".

There were many paparazzi at the hotel and Rayne, Shaley's mom was hit by a car. She cracked her ribs and broke her left wrist. S...more
Cathy Bryant
Wow, wow, wow, wow, wow! (No, that's not my lousy dog impersonation.) That's my response to the second book in The Rayne Tour Series, Last Breath, by Brandilyn & Amberly Collins.

The story continues the saga of Shaley O'Connor, the teen-aged daughter of rock star Rayne O'Connor, and opens at a concert where the whole team is reeling from the recent deaths of their team members and the killer. As they say in show biz terms: "The show must go on."

But it's not over.

Shaley is still puzzling over...more
Clockstein Lockstein
Last Breath by Brandilyn & Amberly Collins is the second book in the Rayne Tour series. This volume picks up immediately after the events of the previous title, Always Watching. Shaley is safe after the police killed the man holding her hostage, but he whispered a few last words before he died: Your father sent me. Shaken and frightened, she at first withholds the information from her mother, rock star Rayne, until Rayne is attacked and injured. Then both of them come clean, as Shaley tells...more
Cathie
This is the second YA book in The Rayne Tour series and I won it from First Reads on Goodreads. From the back cover:

With his last breath, a dying man whispered four stunning words into Shaley O'Connor's ear. Shaley is reeling after two murders on the Rayne concert tour. But she has no time to rest. If the dying man's claim is right, the danger is far from over.

Shaley's quest for the truth leads to the mysterious and wrenching past of her mother and father. Could what happened to them so many ye...more
Eleni
I received this book from Goodreads. I had been attracted to the book because it presented a mystery; "with his last breath, a dying man whispered four stunning words into Shaley O'Connor's ear:" "your father sent me." Shaley, a teenager on tour with her rock star mother, Rayne, and her band, has been shocked by the murder of two of her friends on the tour, apparently killed by the dying man who had tried to kidnap her and who not only knows, but has been sent, by her father - a man Shaley knows...more
Susan
Second book in the young adult christian mystery The Rayne Tour. Sixteen year old Shaley O'Connor is on tour with her mother, Rayne's, popular band. She is struggling to make sense of 2 murders and her recent kidknapping. The man responsible shares his last words with Shaley, last words that if they are true means that the danger is far from over. With Shaley's mom in the hospital, after being attacked by a papparazzo, she is more determined than ever to discover the truth. In her quest she lear...more
Brittney Musick
After reading and enjoying Always Watching, I had high hopes for Last Breath, despite initially enjoying the story, I had some issues with staying interested.

Last Breath picks up right where Always Watching left off, and like the first book, it is a fast paced. Even though I didn't enjoy the story line quite as much as with the first book, I did like that Last Breath moves away from just the Shaley and the "unknown" POVs. In this book, the story includes flashbacks to Rayne's younger days, inclu...more
Jessica
I wasn't sure I was going to like this. I don't find the cover very appealing. But I finally read it and I really enjoyed it. I was a little confused in the beginning because I did not read the first in the series. When Shaley was saying Jerry and Tom and the bodyguard got killed, I wanted to know how it happened. The story line in Last Breath had very little to do with the first book, so after getting further into the book I really didn't mind that I didn't know what happened. I really enjoyed...more
Mybucklingbookshelf
Rayne O'Connor isn't the only rock star in this series, I think Brandilyn and Amberly Collins' can claim that status as well. With Brandilyn's signature "Seatbelt Suspense" and Amberly's great eye for an authentic teen point of view, this dynamic duo do an outstanding job giving readers fast-paced suspense that will leave you begging for more. I read the first two books back to back and each has an engaging story that includes characters from both my generation and my daughters', and I highly re...more
Carrie
Another great book that I won on Goodreads! Normally this isn't the kind of book I pick up, but I'm always on the look out for thrilling YA literature that my teen daughter and her friends can read. What a refreshing story that was full of page turning suspense without the sex and foul language.

Collins has a way of ending every chapter with a cliffhanger. Super fast read that keeps you up at night turning to the next page. LAST BREATH is two beautiful stories that eventually weave into each othe...more
Heav
This book has to be one of the most page-turning overwhelming books in the series. I had to finish the book so bad that I read it all in one day almost non-stop.

Shaley has already lost 3 people and now she has to figure out why and who. Her father is connected somehow, but Shaley doesn't quite know, so she sets out to figure it out.

The emotional pull within this book is like real life. You feel Shaley's pain, anger, happiness, sadness all throughout the book. I am dying to read the next book...more
Tamara
LAST BREATH picks up where ALWAYS WATCHING left off. The second in the Rayne Tour series, Brandilyn and Amberly Collins kept me reading on as I too wanted to get to the bottom of who was after Shaley and how was her father involved. When readers find out the details of Shaley's mother and father's past, it goes beyond what anyone could've imagined.

The Rayne Tour series is geared to young adult readers, but it is written with such style and suspense, all ages will enjoy it. I can only hope there...more
Jessi
I won this from the Goodreads Giveaway. I didn't realize that it was the second book in the series when I entered the contest. However, I was still able to get into the story despite not reading the first book.

The story switches between the past and present, which was an original way to go about it. The characters and plot are very well written. I think my favorite part is that it's a clean read. I can't stand reading books with a lot of profanity.
Glenn
I won this in a Goodreads giveaway. Told in a back and forth "flashback" style between present day 2009 and 1991, which worked well. Not the typical level of suspense I like personally in the mysteries that I read, but that's somewhat understandable, as it's geared towards younger readers, and I applaud the authors for writing a book that can be read by teenagers, with toned down violence and no bad language at all.
Holly
LOVED IT! Loved the development of characters in this book and the look back at Rayne's early life. This is a book 2 of a series and you really should read the first one before reading this one.
The first to leave me a message on Goodreads or Facebook with your mailing address I'll send you my copy.
Leigh Ann
This is book #2 in a trilogy. Though it is listed as teen fiction, this is an enjoyable read for
the whole family. My daughter had to read the 1st one in class, she told me to read it and now we're
hooked. This series has it all...murder, mystery, love, drama...excellent!!
Kathryn
i can't believe how long it took me to start reading it after i won it on goodreads. it had a good story that kept me interested, but lost some reality (too much drama to be realistic).
Carly
AMAZING!!! Usually the first book in a series is by far the best but in this series although I LOVED the first one, I thought this one was even better! Read the whole thing in one setting.
Martha
Great suspense novel. With the exception of a little violence, and mention of past mistakes, very clean. No foul language, no adult situations.
Sara
Brandilyn and Amberly didn't disappoint in this second novel in the Rayne Tour Series. A page turner that keeps you guessing until the last page!
Kris Siegel
Fast-paced and suspenseful 2nd book in "The Rayne Tour" series. A good suggestion for a clean & fun summer read for Tweens & teens.
Sierra Phillips
I'm almost done reading this book and so far I love this book. I like it as much as I liked the first book. It's very entertaining.
Andrea
Good book for young adults. My daughter won this book from a Goodreads free giveaways and I read it and really enjoyed it.
Paula
Author's captured the teen's personality and actions very well. Very believable characters.
This is a book I won on Goodreads!
Courtney
After I read the first book of this seires, I just HAD to read the next! I'm now a big fan of Collins!!! :)
Avery
I really liked this book and can't wait to read more from this author.
Lillie
Very suspenseful if in some ways a little hard to suspend disbelief.
Ashley
This book was suspenseful, but at times it was really odd or chaotic.
  • Beyond Reach (The Secret Life of Samantha McGregor, #2)
  • Eternity's Edge (Echoes from the Edge, #2)
  • Word of Honor (Newpointe 911 #3)
  • Left Behind: The Kids (Left Behind: Collection 5, Books 25-30)
  • Gathering Shadows (Finding Sanctuary #1)
  • Breaking Up Is Hard to Do (Miracle Girls, #2)
Brandilyn Collins is a best-selling novelist known for her trademark Seatbelt Suspense®--fast-paced, character-driven suspense with myriad twists and an interwoven thread of faith.

Brandilyn is also known for her distinctive book on fiction-writing techniques, Getting Into Character: Seven Secrets a Novelist Can Learn From Actors (John Wiley & Sons). She is a sought-after teacher and speaker a...more
More about Brandilyn Collins...
Brink of Death (Hidden Faces Series, #1) Violet Dawn (Kanner Lake Series #1) Eyes of Elisha (Chelsea Adams Series, #1) Deceit Exposure