Start by marking “The Librarian's Book of Quotes” as Want to Read:
The Librarian's Book of Quotes

The Librarian's Book of Quotes

3.70  ·  Rating Details  ·  77 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
Celebrate librarianship and the love of libraries with this charming collection of quotes! Tatyana Eckstrand has compiled nearly three hundred of the most insightful, thought-provoking, and inspiring aphorisms about the library profession. Writers from Shakespeare to Ray Bradbury and librarians from John Cotton Dana to Nancy Pearl are gathered together to sing the praises ...more
Published January 28th 2016 by American Library Association (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Librarian's Book of Quotes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Librarian's Book of Quotes

Nov 03, 2014 Jennifer rated it really liked it
“In the nonstop tsunami of global information, librarians provide us with floaties and teach us how to swim.” – Linton Weeks, Washington Post, 13 January 2001

This is a niche book for librarians. But if you are a librarian and are looking to laugh and be inspired, this is the book for you! I had many post-its marking pages to share with fellow librarians at a later time. Fun, fun, fun.
Carrie
Dec 19, 2014 Carrie rated it really liked it
Fun book to have. There is a good range of quotes, some irreverent and humorous as well as "libraries are amazing" type.
Marjorie Elwood
Nov 23, 2009 Marjorie Elwood rated it really liked it
A lovely compilation of quotes about books, libraries, information, and librarians. One of my favorites:

"If this nation is to be wise as well as strong, if we are to achieve our destiny, then we need more new ideas for more wise men reading more good books in more public libraries. These libraries should be open to all - except the censor. We must know all the facts and hear all the alternatives and listen to all the criticisms. Let us welcome controversial books and controversial authors. For t
Janie
Jan 25, 2016 Janie added it
A great gift from my wonderful friend. Thanks, Terry! I'm loving it.
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
Interesting group of quotes, only a few of which were familiar. Being a cataloguer, my favorites refer to cataloguing, of course. This one, though, summarizes my life: "One of the great joys of being a librarian is that it is the last refuge of the renaissance person--everything you have ever read or learned or picked up is likely to come in handy."--GraceAnne D. Decandido, "Ten Graces for New Librarians." (p.46) This book would be good to have on hand when publicizing the library. Recommended f ...more
Eileen
Nov 22, 2013 Eileen rated it really liked it
A compilation of quotes about libraries/librarians by famous and not so famous people. Quotes from John F Kennedy, Dwight D Eisenhower, Melvil Dewey, Ralph Waldo Emerson, Dean Koontz, Barack Obama, F Scott Fitzgerald, Walter Cronkite,Marc Brown, Elie Wiesel,Lemony Snicket to name a few. One of my favorite quotes: " Libraries and museums are the DNA of our culture" Vartan Gregorian, Keynote Address White House Conference on School Libraries.
©lukisan athirah espada
May 24, 2012 ©lukisan athirah espada rated it it was amazing
"Reference librarians are a library's eyes and ears. (Charles W. Bailey Jr. "The Role of Reference Librarians in Institutional Repositories")"....

"I'm a librarian, i'm a librarian and I like it quiet
So, the pages can be heard
I'm a librarian, i'm a librarian and I do it for the love of the word. (Jonathan Rundman, "Librarian", from the album Public Library, 2004)"

Of course!,

I'm proud to be a librarian!!!

librarian rule... (^_^)
Suzanne Moore
Dec 31, 2012 Suzanne Moore rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
This is a collection of valuable quotes. They promote libraries, literacy, librarians, library cards, etc... I often use a quote as a lead into an article or for inspiration. There is something here for every library-related topic. A great reference tool when you are looking for just the right words and need some inspiration. Words of wisdom from all sorts of notables such as Hemingway and even Lily Tomlin.
Jeanne
Jan 18, 2013 Jeanne rated it really liked it
A great volume of quotes about libraries and librarians. It emphasizes the importance of libraries in our communities. It made me feel like my job at the library is more important than I sometimes give it credit. After all, the library is not saving lives..... or is it?
Michelle
Feb 27, 2011 Michelle rated it really liked it
A very good collection of quotes about books, libraries, and librarians and their importance in our free society. Includes a Bibliographical Dictionary at the back of the book which is a nice feature. This is a book that I would like to own and refer to later.
Kristin
Mar 13, 2011 Kristin rated it liked it
Shelves: books-of-2011
To my thinking, a great librarian must have a clear head, a strong hand and above all, a great heart... and I am inclined to think that most of the men who achieve this greatness will be women.

~Melvil Dewey
Robin
Apr 28, 2013 Robin rated it liked it
This is a fun book that after reading it, I really want to own it because I love collections of quotations and this one is about what I do, so I'd really like to add it to my home library.
Melissa Rochelle
Aug 26, 2011 Melissa Rochelle rated it liked it
Shelves: reference
It's exactly what it says it is...I wish there were shorter quotes especially for Twitter though...
Collette
Jan 26, 2012 Collette rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
A nice inspirational book for librarians who need some encouragement and a few laughs.
ChristinaRae
ChristinaRae is currently reading it
May 23, 2016
Eileen
Eileen rated it liked it
Apr 14, 2016
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2016
Arto
Arto added it
Apr 18, 2016
Melissa Clark
Melissa Clark marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2016
Roxanne Peña
Roxanne Peña rated it liked it
Mar 21, 2016
Marissa
Marissa marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2016
Paige
Paige marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2016
Jennie Stoltz
Jennie Stoltz rated it it was amazing
Jan 29, 2016
Judy
Judy marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2016
James
James added it
Jan 28, 2016
Meghan
Meghan added it
Jan 22, 2016
Ashleyd
Ashleyd marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2016
  • The Librarian's Book of Lists
  • The Ultimate Teen Book Guide
  • My Librarian Is a Camel: How Books Are Brought to Children Around the World
  • Sacred Stacks: The Higher Purpose of Libraries and Librarianship
  • The Most Beautiful Libraries in the World
  • Scrolling Forward: Making Sense of Documents in the Digital Age
  • Dear Miss Breed: True Stories of the Japanese American Incarceration During World War II and a Librarian Who Made a Difference
  • Black Belt Librarians: Every Librarian's Real World Guide to a Safer Workplace
  • In the Stacks: Short Stories about Libraries and Librarians
  • Don't Tell the Grown-Ups: The Subversive Power of Children's Literature
  • Librarian on the Roof! A True Story
  • The Library: An Illustrated History
  • Naked Reading: Uncovering What Tweens Need to Become Lifelong Readers
  • Reading By Moonlight: How Books Saved A Life
  • Whores in History: Prostitution in Western Society
  • Book Crush: For Kids and Teens-Recommended Reading for Every Mood, Moment and Interest
  • Thanks for the Memories, Mr. President: Wit and Wisdom from the Front Row at the White House
  • The Compassion of Animals: True Stories of Animal Courage and Kindness

“Librarians...possess a vast stone of politeness. These are people who get asked regularly the dumbest questions on God's green earth. These people tolerate every kind of crank and eccentric and mouth-breather there is.” 13 likes
“I'm a librarian, i'm a librarian and I like it quiet
So, the pages can be heard
I'm a librarian, i'm a librarian and I do it for the love of the word”
3 likes