Start by marking “The Vindication of Jesus Christ: A Brief Reader's Guide to Revelation” as Want to Read:
The Vindication of Jesus Christ: A Brief Reader's Guide to Revelation

The Vindication of Jesus Christ: A Brief Reader's Guide to Revelation

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  62 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Although the book of Revelation is said to give a blessing to those who read and hear it, it often results in confusion as well.

Revelation is applicable to all times and occasions in the Church, and because of that it has been interpreted as predicting many different events in histroy. Naturally, these interpretations all contradict each other which leads many believers to
Published January 16th 2009 by Athanasius Press (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Vindication of Jesus Christ, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Vindication of Jesus Christ

M.G. Bianco
Jordan is great as always!
Jacob Aitken
I have mixed thoughts on this. I can only take Jim Jordan in very small amounts. That being said, if one can find it, this booklet is worth reading. I read it in about 20 minutes.

Jordan argues for a symbolic reading of Revelation, implying that the keys to understanding the book are already iin the book particularly the Old Testament.

If you don't agree with Jordan's hermeneutics, this book will not be of much help. I sort of agree with his methodology. I agree with Jordan that the standard "gr
Steven Wedgeworth
I think that this is an indispensable outline of Revelation, but it is not for the uninitiated. This is Jim at his most Jim. No room for proving assertions. Not enough explanations. But tons of really cool stuff. And I think he's basically right on his take in this one.
Clint
Three stars is an average. There are some steep highs and lows in this one.

This is a thought-provoking survey of Revelation wherein Dr. Jordan cuts to the quick of the book's meaning. This will be a brisk slap to the face of most American evangelicals; not in an offensive, or caustic way - instead you'll probably be confused and wonder why you've never heard Revelation expounded in this way. The answer might be: you've never heard Revelation actually expounded.

Now, if this is the first James Jor
Jonah
Mind blown.

If you read this, and you should, you will question much of what Jordan is saying and this due to a couple things. One, we most likely do not know our Bible as well as James Jordan and Two, our understanding of the book of Revelation has come from popular culture not the Bible. So, read this humbly and with a teachable mind and examine the Scriptures as Jordan brings them to you. After finishing this little book, I know you will see Revelation with new eyes. Thanks James Jordan!
Josh Shelton
Very interesting little read here. Perplexing at times, but interesting nonetheless. I have more questions than answers at this Point. I will check out his lectures.
James Aaron Kirkpatrick
Astounding. Ready to read it again!
Chris Comis
If you thought the Lindseyites were crazy with all their end-of-the-world predictions, this will probably seem like a complete head-trip. Jordan's take on the book of Revelation, his specie of Preterism, and many of his exegetical conslusions will probably throw you for a loop, but don't despair: Augistine himself had many of the same views on this book. A newer version of this has recently been published and is probably much more up to date.
Gregory Soderberg
This is an amazing little book! Jordan presents a consistent case for Revelation being about the persecution of the Christians by the Judaizers in the Book of Acts. Jordan is at his best in explaining the deep background to the symbolism in Revelation. Though most Christians won't buy his preterist reading, his understanding of the Old Testament background of Revelation is worth the price of the book.
Michael Jones
I agree with others that this is not a thorough commentary at all. If you know Jim, you know that he really has done the research! He has done over 100 Sunday schools in a row on the book of Revelation and that is much more thorough.

But I definitely trust this "direction" for the book of Revelation more than an almost any other commentator.
Alex
This book may be better than I realize, but overall I couldn't understand it much. Also, It's hard for me to imagine that the original audience understood all this symbolism when they received the letter. But maybe they did. Regardless, this book is impressive, and I would like to understand it (and Revelation) better.
Jacob Aitken
It's interesting, and its short form allows it to function as a decent outline. Kind of infuriating, though. As usual, he never proves his assertions and is fairly dogmatic on many arcane issues. I wished he would have gone into more introductory detail on the history of partial preterism, like its Jesuit roots.
David
Helpful but short commentary on Revelation. It is a good overview of Jordan's view but he needs a book that develops on these themes yet is not quite as long as his 204 part lecture series. Hopefully the commentary that Leithart is working on will enhance on the themes Jordan develops here.
Christopher
Enjoyable, but really hard to understand.
George
The best brief treatment of Revelation I've read.
Rylan McQuade
Overall, this book clarified a lot.
Brian
Brian marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2015
Lynn Joshua
Lynn Joshua marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2015
Bill
Bill is currently reading it
Dec 18, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
James B. Jordan is a Calvinist theologian and author. He is director of Biblical Horizons ministries, a think tank in Niceville, Florida that publishes books, essays and other media dealing with Bible commentary, Biblical Theology, and liturgy.

Jordan was born in Athens, Georgia, and he attended the University of Georgia, where he received a B.A. in comparative literature and participated in Campus
More about James B. Jordan...
Through New Eyes: Developing a Biblical View of the World Primeval Saints: Studies in the Patriarchs of Genesis Creation in Six Days: A Defense of the Traditional Reading of Genesis One The Liturgy Trap: The Bible versus Mere Tradition in Worship Crisis, Opportunity, And The Christian Future