Start by marking “Guidebook to Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance” as Want to Read:
Guidebook to Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

Guidebook to Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  157 ratings  ·  10 reviews
When Robert Pirsig’s Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance was first published in 1974, it caused a literary sensation. An entire generation was profoundly affected by the story of the narrator, his son, Chris, and their month-long motorcycle odyssey from Minnesota to California. A combination of philosophical speculation and psychological tension, the book is a comple ...more
Published November 19th 1990 by William Morrow Paperbacks (first published 1990)

Be the first to ask a question about Guidebook to Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

Daniel Ley
Initial Thoughts:
This book - 50% motorcycle repair/travel manual, 50% philosophical treatise, and 50% psychological horror story - left me with a strange disjointed mix of information and emotion in its wake.
I gave it a 4-star rating because of the uncanny amount of personal overlap I had with the narrator, who was also a molecular biologist, a philosopher driven by his thoughts (though sometimes to the point of what his peers would call madness), went to the University of Illinois, and had a
Jamie Walker
This book was a bit too philosophical for me.
Paul Gibson
A very informative book. This book probes the philosophical influences underlying Pirsig's book.
This book is to Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance as Wisdom's Hiding Place is to The Oxbow Revelation.
This book reads like an introduction to philosophy that is written in such a way as to be accessible to the interested lay reader.
I do, however, think that the information on Taoism is weak.
Be aware that about half of the book consists of book reviews and the like.
Maid4life
My husband bugged me to read this book. What a disappointment. The author obviously thinks he has a handle on what life is all about, so he uses his main character to spout a plethera of lofty philosophical mumbo jumbo. He thinks he's "waxing eloquent", but it comes across as arogant, egotistical and someone who loves to hear themselves talk, thinking all the time they are imparting pearls of wisdom to all who remain awake while he's doing so.
Raydar
Sep 02, 2007 Raydar added it
Recommends it for: anyone who wants more after ZMM & Lila, esp. of the philosophy drawn on in the stories
I was a philosophy major, so this is just what I was looking for: Detailed elucidations of the philosophical disciplines, thinkers, and theories Pirsig spoke of and drew upon, and a chance to keep being steeped in the thought-provoking stew of Zen & the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance and Lila, even though this book is not *by* Pirsig.
Larry Chaves
Take out the Zen and the motorcycle maintenance parts of this book and it would be a far better story. The afterward is actually my favorite part.
Clay
Mar 31, 2009 Clay is currently reading it
After going on my first group ride this past weekend I can relate to the author's romanticizing of taking the road less-traveled.
Reuel
A really good book for the culture of the era.
Suza
Gave up half way.....not feeling it
Archie Beaman
Archie Beaman marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2015
Jari Vasell
Jari Vasell marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2015
Sean You
Sean You marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2015
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2015
V
V marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2015
Kim Matousek
Kim Matousek marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2015
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2015
Olivia Hern
Olivia Hern marked it as to-read
Brian South
Brian South marked it as to-read
Ryan O'hara
Ryan O'hara marked it as to-read
Katelyn Heiman
Katelyn Heiman marked it as to-read
Delta
Delta marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2015
Charlie C
Charlie C marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2015
Marcel Visser
Marcel Visser marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2015
Alexandra
Alexandra marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2015
Lindsey Nagel
Lindsey Nagel marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2015
Tory
Tory marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2015
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2015
  • Rabelais and His World
  • The American Heritage College Dictionary
  • Know the Past, Find the Future: The New York Public Library at 100
  • The Caveman's Valentine
  • The Blooming of a Lotus: Guided Meditations for Achieving the Miracle of Mindfulness
  • A Glimpse of Nothingness: Experiences in an American Zen Community
  • Lila: An Inquiry Into Morals
  • Nine-Headed Dragon River: Zen Journals, 1969-1982
  • In Search of Zarathustra: Across Iran and Central Asia to Find the World's First Prophet
  • How to Read Novels Like a Professor: A Jaunty Exploration of the World's Favorite Literary Form
  • I am Not Spock
  • The Motion Of Light In Water: Sex And Science Fiction Writing In The East Village
  • Marvel Masterworks: Doctor Strange, Vol. 1