Start by marking “Julie Andrews' Collection of Poems, Songs, and Lullabies” as Want to Read:
Julie Andrews' Collection of Poems, Songs, and Lullabies

Julie Andrews' Collection of Poems, Songs, and Lullabies

4.33 of 5 stars 4.33  ·  rating details  ·  153 ratings  ·  32 reviews
In this comprehensive collection, coauthors Julie Andrews and daughter Emma Walton Hamilton share a diverse assortment of their most cherished poems, songs, lullabies, hymns, and more.

Featuring a wide range of beloved classics from William Shakespeare, Emily Dickenson, and Robert Frost to playful poems by Jack Prelutsky and Shel Silverstein, this is the perfect collection
Published October 6th 2009 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (first published October 1st 2009)

Be the first to ask a question about Julie Andrews' Collection of Poems, Songs, and Lullabies

Ruth
Poetry and Lullaby books are nearly as tempting as dark chocolate to me. I really want to add this one to my collection sometime. The watercolor illustrations are soft and sweet and perfectly supportive of the words of the poems and song lyrics included by Julie Andrews and her daughter Emma Walton Hamilton. I love the nine thematic sections of the book because Julie Andrews introduces each section with sweet family memories and personal stories that really warm you to what is to come. There's e ...more
Nancy
I borrowed the Cd and book from the library. I have listened to the CD a number of times at bed time. It brought back memories of my growing up. I don't think of myself as someone who enjoys and reads a lot of poetry, but this collection brings back memories of my reading many of the poems. There are many more poems in the book, and I have started to read them. 22 September 2014

I just finished reading the large book of poems, put together by Julie Andrews and her daughter Emma. There were a few
The Library Lady
I was underwhelmed by this. There seemed a definite undertone of promoting both Andrews' and Walton's own work, and while I find Andrews to be a good prose writer, neither she nor her daughter is much of a poet. I also found a lot of the choices with more appeal to sentimental parents and grandparents. Am betting this will be bought by many a childless adult and by well meaning relatives as a gift for kids. And if you're looking for a kid's gift I'd go for The 20th Century Children's Poetic Trea ...more
Katy Kissel
This collection of poetry is intended for readers ages three and up. It is an anthology of poetry collected by Julie Andrews and her daughter, Emma Watson Hamilton. The book contains poetry by numerous famous authors, including William Shakespeare, Emily Dickinson, and Langston Hughes. To begin with, let me say that the book is beautiful. Many of the pages have full paintings on them, done by James McMullan. They are vibrant and lovely additions to the poetry. Pages without full paintings still ...more
Geordie
This book collects a variety of gentle, child-friendly poems and songs, selected and edited by Julie Andrews. I'd really like to give this book a high rating, many of the poems are wonderful classics, and Julie Andrews is very charming and likeable. The problem is, some of her choices of inclusions are totally baffling. I wasn't interested in some of the poems, but I guess that's a matter of taste. More problematic was some of the songs included, they work when sung, but are stilted and strange ...more
Victoria Becker
Dec 06, 2014 Victoria Becker marked it as to-read
Shelves: literature-class
Julie Andrews Collection of Poems, Songs, and Lullabies is a book that can be used throughout the year in a 5th grade classroom. We could use it for the poetry.
NYS CC Standard: Students Will Determine a theme of a story, drama, or poem from details in the text, including how characters in a story or drama
respond to challenges or how the speaker in a poem reflects
upon a topic; summarize the text.
In some ways this was delightful. I really enjoyed hearing Julie Andrews reading as well as her daughter and liked learning more about their family. I also quite liked the collection of poems. There were some of my favorites and lots of new ones. I wasn't a huge fan of the interlude music, though. A little too pop/jazzy/not-harmonically-stable for my taste.
Heather
The poems in this collection are wonderful and the original watercolor illustrations are lovely. There are over two hundred poems. Most of the poems are written by famous poets (including Wordsworth, Frost, Dickinson, Emerson, and Shakespeare), and there are also some very good poems written by the two authors, and written by Julie Andrews's father and grandfather. I was a little disappointed in the accompanying audio CD. I thought the authors could have selected better poems from the collection ...more
Ginger
A nice collection of mostly traditional children's poems with songs interspersed and with a few lullaibes. Poets are diverse, ranging from Jack Prelutsky to Ralph Waldo Emerson, Langston Hughes to Ted Hughes. The unifying theme is optimism for life,which could have led to an oversweet, treacly bunch of poems. But the merely sweet is largely overriidden by the carefully attentive, and the collection, as a whole, is quite readable, if not always profound. The poems are held togehter by a consitent ...more
Meagan
This anthology of poetry is as beautiful on the inside as it looks on the cover. It is full of child-appropriate poems, many by famous poets, on topics such as nature, the seasons, feelings, family, and animals. As this week marked the beginning of Spring I have been reading a new springtime poem from it aloud to my first graders each day. I would caution anyone who intends to use the book in a classroom though, that some of the poems have references to God, so just pre-read carefully before cho ...more
Kristi Mangan
My boys (5 and 7) and I adore reading this wonderful, eclectic collection of poetry together. It has become a favorite. I like that it includes classics like Wordsworth's "I Wandered Lonely As A Cloud" and fun, contemporary pieces from Shel Silverstein and Jack Prelutsky ("The Turkey Shot Out of the Oven"). A great way to introduce kids to poetry.
Megan
There are many poetry anthologies available, but I foresee checking this one out of the library many times. There are the expected classic poems by Blake, Emerson, Rossetti,and Tennyson. There are more recent favorites by Silverstein and Prelutsky. What sets this book apart from other anthologies is the addition of lyrics from Broadway composers like Rodgers and Hammerstein, Loesser, and Sondheim. Very nice!
Emily
My daughter received this her first Christmas and I've been reading selections from it to her ever since. I appreciate the variety of themes and how they're categorized, as well as the personal musings (and writings) of Julie and Emma, the mother-daughter team who compiled it.

Included is a CD which we've listened to only once or twice, but Andrews certainly has a knack for storytelling as well.
Nicole
I love the illustrations in this book!

Update: I love how they've compiled so many great songs and stories into one book! We'll be purchasing a copy of this book for our daughter's birthday because it's fantastic! We read it every night for bedtime. We haven't listened to the cd that comes along with it yet, but plan to do so soon.
Bree
Notes:
the kids didn't really enjoy the majority of these poems -- too bad since I had high hopes for this pretty book
Rachel
I absolutely love this book! The selections are very well chosen and the watercolor illustrations are incredible. I've been reading from it to my kids and they keep begging for more. I haven't listened to the CD yet, but I'm sure it is fantastic. I love Andrews' voice so I'm sure it'll be a great listen.
Tara
Feb 14, 2010 Tara rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Parents
Shelves: kristi-books
There are very few books that I actually want to BUY (why buy if you can get them at the library?), but I am saving up for this one. It is amazing. Poems span from Broadway songs to Blake. The illustrations are entertaining and each poem has a wonderful rhythmic pop that makes storytime so much fun.
The Book Studio
Watch Bethanne Patrick interview Julie Andrews and Emma Walton Hamilton about their new book “Julie Andrews’ Collection of Poems, Songs, and Lullabies” on The Book Studio.
JennLynn
A lovely collection of classic poems, along with a few newer favourites and even a couple Julie Andrews, her daughter and father. Definitely a volume to reread and treasure. The accompanying CD is a nice treat too, although the selection of poems on it is very limited.
Noran Miss Pumkin
Julie, joins with her daughter, to create this charming book with audio disc included. It is a lovely addition to any little girl's library. The book is nicely done, and cover old favorites, and new material that will become future classics.
Sheila
This was a beautiful book of collected poems edited by Julie Andrews and her daughter Emma Walton Hamilton. This book is beautfully illustrated and just the quality texture of the pages and the book itself make it a treasure.
N_carlyl
I listened to the cd with Julie Andrews' reading some of the poems from the anthology. I wouldn't recommend it unless you were trying to put a baby to sleep because her voice is so soothing. Also an anthology
Alison Zemanek
What a great book!! I love reading these poems to my boys, and I hope that someday they will read them to their own children! Check out "The Turkey Shot Out of the Oven" by Jack Pretlusky!
Sam J
Brilliantly charming as Andrews herself. This is such a nice collection of warm poems and lullabies, it is a must for any one who is reading to their young child.
Joanna
Could you expect anything less than "practically perfect" from Julie Andrews? The kids enjoyed reading a few classic poems with me each night before bed.
Julie
I love this! It was recommended in our text. Such a great find! Love that it was written by a mother and daughter.
Melanie Mcdaniel
Delightful collection of poems & song lyrics with beautiful watercolor illustrations.
Erin
I Love Julie Andrews!! Awesome!!
Jamie
  • Creature ABC
  • The Poets' Corner: The One-and-Only Poetry Book for the Whole Family
  • Wynken, Blynken, & Nod
  • Down, Down, Down: A Journey to the Bottom of the Sea
Dame Julie Elizabeth Andrews Edwards, DBE is an award-winning English actress, singer, author and cultural icon. She is the recipient of Golden Globe, Emmy, Grammy, BAFTA, People's Choice Award, Theatre World Award, Screen Actors Guild and Academy Award honours. Andrews rose to prominence after starring in Broadway musicals such as My Fair Lady and Camelot, as well as musical films like Mary Poppi ...more
More about Julie Andrews Edwards...
Mandy The Last of the Really Great Whangdoodles Home: A Memoir of My Early Years The Very Fairy Princess Dragon: Hound of Honor