Start by marking “Alice Springs” as Want to Read:
Alice Springs

Alice Springs

3.47 of 5 stars 3.47  ·  rating details  ·  208 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Phillipa "Snip" Freeman is an artist and a wanderer, proudly in control of her own world. That is until an envelope arrives, mailed by her grandmother before her death. It contains a check for $30,000 and one simple instruction: Hunt him down. With the note in hand, and with Dave, her handsome traveling companion by her side, Snip embarks on a journey into the Australian o ...more
Published August 1st 2000 by Penguin Books (first published January 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Alice Springs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Alice Springs

The Book Thief by Markus ZusakCloudstreet by Tim WintonTomorrow, When the War Began by John MarsdenA Town Like Alice by Nevil ShuteThe Thorn Birds by Colleen McCullough
Best Modern Australian Literature
280th out of 331 books — 429 voters
Alice Springs by Nikki GemmellQuarter Horse Boy by Mary Elwyn Patchett
Aboriginals in Fiction
1st out of 2 books — 2 voters

More lists with this book...

I have a version where the title of this book is called Cleave. I have struggled with some of Gemmell's other work - am still trying to finish The Book of Rapture - but this got me hooked and I finished it in a day. At last I found another of her books that sets the foundations of the haunting poetry that she achieved in The Bride Stripped Bare. She makes you a little uncomfortable at times but I think the risks she takes pay off - her prose can be coarse and exquisite in equal measures. Made me ...more
Paula Dembeck
Phillip “Snip” Freeman is a 30 year old artist and a wanderer, tough and in control of her world. She is also the product of a broken home. A bequest from her grandmother sends her across Australia in search of her wayward father Bud, who has been estranged from the family for twenty years.

Snip advertises for a travelling companion and meets Dave a geologist, who makes her aware of her rootlessness and challenges her lifestyle. She unwillingly falls in love with him, but her independent streak l
I am not a Nikki Gemmell newbie. I first discovered her a few years ago when I stumbled across her book The Bride Stripped Bare. I liked that book enough to track down more of Gemmell’s work. Cleave is the third novel I’ve read by her.

Cleave is the story of Snip Freeman, a 30 year old Australian artist. The novel opens with Snip making a long journey from Sydney to Alice Springs in Central Australia. Snip’s grandmother has died and left Snip enough money to buy an ute (which I gather is the Aust
Chris Cousins
Great descriptions of the Australian outback and Aboriginal life.
I liked this book because it has 2 things I like in a book: location in a foreign culture (Australia and Aborigines) and analyzing of people's personality problems (Snip's inability to trust people, her father's selfishness). It was a good, easy read.
This book fell well short of her previous novel 'Shiver'.
I think that for me, this book highlighted that I require more than one storyline to be running in a book. This was so very one dimensional in that sense.
It was surprising to learn Snip's age, as at first I thought she was in her late teens.
I was also very let down with the ending.
This book was painful to read, but I hate not finishing a book so I made myself slog through it. I chose to read it after enjoying The Bride Stripped Bare, but found few similarities. The characters were all unlikeable and selfish, the content was extremely dull and I did not really care what happened to any of them. Very disappointing.
I just couldn't get into this book. There would be a few pages where I thought I'd finally connected and was interested, and then it would be gone for way too long. I couldn't identify with Snip and the author's writing style wasn't my cup of tea.
Ann Warner
There's some wonderful writing in this book and Snip is a compelling character. However, by the end, I felt the insight into Snip was beginning to feel repetitious. Still, I enjoyed the book and the Australian setting.
Unlike Ben Guterson I don't think Gemmell went on too much about Snip's 'desperado ruthlesness'. If you're alone for long enough, sometimes you cope in the manner described and it is a big part of you.
Gemmell's characters are rough and real. None have their life figured out, but that is the beauty of the book: the constant realizing and rediscovering of the self, no matter the age.
Excellent story of the blossoming of a REAL woman. Interesting intro to Australian culture - white and aboriginal. Very quotable.
Eased me into Aussie slang on the way down from Phnom Penh. My third consecutive book dealing with starvation.
This book is a fictional story about an amazing journey of the characters. All about what love really is.
I didn't like this book and couldn't finish it.
Good but not anywhere near as good a s Shiver.
Original English title : Cleave
Jan 25, 2011 Posey added it
boring. i gave up.
LORRAINE marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2015
Lisa Marshall
Lisa Marshall marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2015
Emily marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2015
Jaimee marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2015
Sheri marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2015
Shay Shay
Shay Shay marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2015
  • Final Demand
  • The Rouseabout
  • Big Night Out
  • No Time for Tears
Nikki Gemmell has written four novels, Shiver, Cleave, Lovesong, The Bride Stripped Bare and The Book Of Rapture, and one non-fiction book, Pleasure: An Almanac for the Heart. Her work has been internationally critically acclaimed and translated into many languages.

In France she's been described as a female Jack Kerouac, in Australia as one of the most original and engaging authors of her generati
More about Nikki Gemmell...
The Bride Stripped Bare (Bride Trilogy, #1) With My Body Shiver The Book of Rapture Why You Are Australian: A Letter to My Children

“[He] starts to talk and stops, feeling his way, as if it's all clogged up rusty inside.” 1 likes
“She can't catch on to slumber, the relief of oblivion.” 1 likes