Start by marking “A Room for Cathy” as Want to Read:
A Room for Cathy

A Room for Cathy

When Cathy's family moves to a house from a cramped apartment, she is thrilled at the idea of having her own room. But when family finances are threatened, she must swallow her disappointment and give up her room to share with sister Chris.
Library Binding, 191 pages
Published August 1st 1956 by McNally & Loftin Publishers (first published 1956)

To ask other readers questions about A Room for Cathy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Room for Cathy

Liralen
Aug 17, 2013 Liralen rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, reviewed, z-2012, ya
Nostalgia! I read this when I was about eight, and ever since then the idea of a yellow bedroom has just struck me as so delightfully cozy and sunny and welcoming. (I then forgot the title, and it took me more than fifteen years to find it again...) It's somewhat outdated -- I wonder now why my teacher had a copy -- but very sweet.
Martha
May 17, 2016 Martha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Martha by: Scholastic Book Club
Read this years ago. Don't remember that much of it, and I think I didn't even finish it, but it did inspire me to ask to have my room painted yellow.

UPDATE: Read it again in June 2014. Enjoyable, but the four-star rating is for what I thought of it as a child. Reading it as an adult, I sure wish I lived in that la-la land where a kid can move to a new town and have no trouble at all adjusting; all your kid friends envy you -- but only in an admiring way -- for living in a big house with your ow
Maggie
Dec 08, 2013 Maggie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-have
How Cathy has always longed for a room of her own! And now it looks as if her dream will come true. For the Leonard family is moving to a big house, with a room for Cathy. A room she doesn't have to share with her younger brother and sister. Suddenly the blow falls. Cathy's room must be rented to save money. She is heartbroken... until she meets the wonderful Hughes family. Then Cathy learns that it takes a big heart to live in a big house.

To Maggie, Happy birthday! Love, Linda March 23, 1979
Grace
Jul 18, 2016 Grace rated it it was amazing
Now I know why I've always wanted a yellow room!
Christina
Nov 06, 2016 Christina rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: juvenile
Found a whole bunch of YA books from the 1950s-'60s at Goodwill, and decided to check them out. This one was first published in 1956. Interesting to get a glimpse into the period. I kept trying to figure out how old the main character was, because at times she seems like a teen, but then she she seems rather young. She's in fourth grade, so I suppose she's about nine or ten.
I think I would have liked this as a child. It was a pretty well written book. But I also found surprised by the actions o
Roberta
May 17, 2016 Roberta rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I do not like Cathy. She's a little b+tch until she meets Naomi, who is kind and gentle and thoughtful. Luckily, some of that rubs off on Cathy by the end of the book. I don't remember reading this as a child, but I could swear I read something by Catherine Woolley.

There were a couple things I found noteworthy:

1. On page 50, "I would like yellow paint, Cathy thought dreamily, gazing around, so it will always look as if the sun were shining." One of Cathy's more positive moments.

2. Cathy is all d
Monique Gonzalez (Valadez)
Oct 04, 2014 Monique Gonzalez (Valadez) rated it it was amazing
I remember reading this book as a child, and being completely enamored with all the descriptions. Something about painting her new room yellow made me feel happy during a time when I was experiencing the exact opposite. It's stuck in my mind all these years and I'm glad I was able to track down the name of it. Such a lovely story for a young child. I'll give it the rating I would have given it back then.... 5 stars. It taught me to dream of better things and the hope of a happy home.
Ms Piot
Oct 07, 2009 Ms Piot rated it really liked it
This was my favorite book when I was about 11 years old. I shared a room with my two younger sisters, and could really understand Cathy's desire to have her own room, and how excited she was about it. I still have it to this day, though it is locked up in a storage unit in NJ!
Colette Walden
Mar 02, 2014 Colette Walden rated it it was amazing
This was an reassuring book for me as a child because one of my personal goals was to get my own bedroom. Meeting someone in these pages who felt the same gave me comfort. I also saw Cathy as being less fortunate than me in some ways, so the story probably helped me learn empathy.
Mel
May 05, 2011 Mel rated it really liked it
I identified strongly with Cathy as I was sharing a room with a messy, noisy little sister. I think I read this book at least five times just to reassure myself that I wasn't alone in wanting some peace and quiet.
Angela
Nov 24, 2009 Angela rated it it was amazing
Well A Room For Cathy was a super good book. I liked it because Cathy wanted her own room and then they moved and got her own room then they might have to move to someplace in PA . And the house might have to be rented and now I really would like to read another good book like that.
Robynn
Oct 02, 2012 Robynn rated it it was amazing
I loved this book when I was 11 or so. I wanted a room of my own so badly. Finally my parents caved and I moved into my cold but single room when I was 12. Had to bunk again with my sister each winter, but bliss when it was warm enough to move back each spring.
Carla
Jan 06, 2016 Carla rated it it was amazing
Read this years and years ago and liked it a lot. Now I have read it again with my granddaughter and we enjoyed it together. It is a bit dated, but the lesson of sharing and caring will never be too old to learn.
Nicole
Mar 28, 2008 Nicole rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Nicole by: my mom
This was one of my mother's favorites and my grandmother kept her copy at her house when I was little. I must have read it a dozen times. I loved knowing it was my mother's favorite.

Megan
Jun 18, 2016 Megan rated it it was amazing
I had to search long and hard to find this book for Lily on Amazon for her bday. I had it and loved it as a girl. I reread it and it was just as wonderful as I remembered.
Brooke
Aug 05, 2008 Brooke rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: doodle bug
i was really amazed how selfish cathy was being but in the end she gave her heart to other people.
Betsy McCormack
Betsy McCormack rated it it was amazing
Mar 02, 2016
Christine
Christine rated it really liked it
Apr 21, 2008
Kathy
Kathy rated it liked it
May 06, 2012
Kelley Potter
Kelley Potter rated it it was amazing
Jan 07, 2014
Holly (2 Kids and Tired)
Holly (2 Kids and Tired) rated it it was amazing
Apr 22, 2010
Mrs.soule
Mrs.soule rated it really liked it
Oct 24, 2011
V. Gingerich
V. Gingerich rated it liked it
Oct 06, 2013
Molly
Molly rated it liked it
Aug 20, 2011
C.
C. rated it really liked it
Jul 16, 2012
Laurie
Laurie rated it it was amazing
Jul 09, 2013
Danielle Marshall
Danielle Marshall rated it really liked it
Mar 26, 2014
S.
S. rated it it was amazing
Oct 06, 2016
Beth Kaminske
Beth Kaminske rated it really liked it
May 29, 2015
Joan Happel
Joan Happel rated it it was amazing
Feb 16, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
What's The Name o...: Children's/middle grade -- A Room for Cathy [s] 6 83 Jul 19, 2012 07:29PM
A prolific writer of over eighty books, Catherine Woolley published so many children's books that her publisher recommended using a pen name for some of her works. Ms. Woolley's Ginnie Fellows series was and continues to be a reader favorite across generations.

Pen name: Jane Thayer.
More about Catherine Woolley...