Start by marking “Place of Refuge (The Promised Land, #3)” as Want to Read:
Place of Refuge (The Promised Land, #3)

Place of Refuge (The Promised Land #3)

The third volume in the Promised Land series is the story of faithful Jews in search of a Place of Refuge from the storms of history that terrorized their faith and threatened the foundations of Jewish society around the turn of the sixth century before Christ.
Published December 1st 2003 by Covenant Communications (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Place of Refuge, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Place of Refuge

Tennis Shoes Among the Nephites by Chris HeimerdingerPillar of Light by Gerald N. LundCharly by Jack WeylandPrincess Academy by Shannon HaleFire of the Covenant by Gerald N. Lund
Best LDS fiction
163rd out of 503 books — 448 voters
Water for Elephants by Sara GruenThe Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey NiffeneggerRemembrance by Michelle MadowThe Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar WildeTo Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
Books I want to Read
422nd out of 540 books — 170 voters

More lists with this book...

Nov 24, 2011 Jessica rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lds-author
I like how the family's stick together through hard times
Sep 20, 2011 Mommywest rated it it was amazing
It is six centuries before Jesus of Nazareth will be born, and Jerusalem is in turmoil. After the conflict with Babylon escalates, the ruling class of Judah threatens any who dare opposes their tenuous power. The Holy City is destined for destruction.
But amid the mayhem, two prophets of God come forth -- Lehi and Ezekiel. However, both are in danger of losing their life. Zadock, Chief Elder of the Jews and Laban, Captain of the Guard, desparately seek to eleminate all voices of opposition as th
Michael D
Oct 19, 2012 Michael D rated it it was amazing
Some much information about the regional geography and Lehi's probable exodus route(s) from Jerusalem. Much of this story is based upon the 1995 finding of a hidden valley deep in the N.W. mountains of the Arabian peninsula with a year-round stream and many date palms able to sustain life. This is the ONLY year-round river in that region, and it resides in the Hajiz Mountains on the Gulf of Aqaba coast. The mountains are also know as the "Border" mountains, and the Gulf of Aqaba used to be calle ...more
Mindy Smith
Mar 12, 2016 Mindy Smith rated it really liked it
I really enjoy these types of books. I've said it before. I loved this one-the third in the series-as it continues the story of Lehi and his family as they have fled from their homes and are now in the wilderness. This book read a little bit slower than the others (hence my reasoning for only giving it 4 stars), but there was a lot to pack into this one! I love reading about how life was in old Jerusalem. It is so interesting, and fascinating to me. I love how the author brings these people and ...more
Aug 06, 2010 Luisa rated it liked it
Good, not great. I still LOVE how it paints the pictures of Lehi and his family. They came to life... especially Laman. I cannot believe the hate that he carried for his own father, plotting and conspiring to murder him. It also brought to life the sorrow that Sariah must have had to witness the gulf that developed in her family [not to mention her being pregnant in the wilderness.... bleh:]. Meanwhile, I felt like there wasn't enough MEAT to the book... all these sobplots and side stories and c ...more
Jan 13, 2014 Jeanine rated it liked it
It has been interesting to read about some of the Old Testament prophets and prophets from the Book of Mormon. This has caused me to go to the Old Testament and history books to see what is knows about the some of these Old Testament Prophets.

My biggest problem with this series is that it seems to include so much information and leave other parts unclear. I'm not sure if I just missed it as I read but the only hint I have that the prophet Uriah was put to death was his wife's feeling that he wou
Dec 27, 2013 Nicole rated it really liked it
I enjoy how the author includes so much historical information. he does a good job at creating the characters. I do not believe that Lehi's family was split into three segments during the main push of their journey. I do understand the author using the mechanism to show the three possible routes taken, but the spirit dow not confirm this aspect of the plot the author create. But, that is what happens when you need to make a story out of a historical time frame without a lot of details. I do thin ...more
May 18, 2008 Hillary rated it it was amazing
This is the third book in The Promised Land series. It takes place during Lehi's time and is about his family. It brings to life Laban's character. Lehi leaves Jeruseleum with his family and Laban tries to kill him. He turns to the Babylonian inspector to give him aid. Which ends up back firing on Laban because the inspector comes to know that Lehi is a prophet. Their are many characters and stories intwined to make this interesting. The one question I have is if their is a 4th book coming out? ...more
Jan 28, 2012 Terrie rated it really liked it
Book Three in the Promised Land Series is the continuing story of Lehi and his family. In this volume the family is forced to leave Jerusalem to seek safety in the wilderness. The faith and courage of Lehi and Nephi are beautifully displayed. The murmuring and lack of faith on the part of Laman and Lemuel are also vividly told. I have loved this series and feel like I am actually a part of their lives. Again, I love the author's endnotes to help me keep track of what is factual and what is ficti ...more
Dec 23, 2008 Larene rated it it was ok
it's the 3rd book and they still haven't chopped off Laban's head. I do like the subject and the author knows his background info, it's just taking FOREVER to get done. I found myself just reading the first sentence of the paragraph (or the page) and not wanting to read all the details for everything. The library doesn't have the 4th book, so I may never know what happens to Lehi's family. Wish it was just one book instead of a series.
Jun 17, 2011 Amber rated it liked it
I'm really enjoying this series. Although his writing style is sometimes a bit off for me, I like having some fictional background about Book of Mormon prophets and people to ponder and consider. I think Woolley has done an amazing job at coming up with likely situations to fill in the background of 1st Nephi. This was book #3, and I think the plot is still based on the first chapter of 1st Nephi! Gives me a lot to think about.
Aug 04, 2008 Brandy rated it it was amazing
I am exicted to read the next one. In this book, Lehi's family finally makes it to the Valley of Lemuel. I guess if you have never read the Book of Mormon that would be a spoiler, but for those of you that have, it is amazing that it takes Woolley three books to get there and Nephi made it in two or three chapters comprising three or four pages. His story is interesting and compelling.
Jan 29, 2010 Karina rated it liked it
Shelves: religious
I feel very much the same about this book as I did about the second one. It's interesting to read and learn about things experts have found out about what could possibly have happened, things that aren't in the BOM. As far as the actual story goes, not that great. It just doesn't hold my interest, and now I'm just reading to get it done.
Aug 13, 2009 Alison rated it did not like it
Strike number 2 for me and my book choices these last couple weeks. I have thoroughly run out of patience with this author and interest in this series. He's dragging it out, the dialogue is trite, the characters aren't developed which makes me apathetic to their plights. This series started out pretty good and has steadily gotten worse.
Anthony Garcia
Jan 17, 2010 Anthony Garcia rated it it was amazing
This is the third book in a series of fictional history covering a very trying time in Jerusalem. The book places fictional characters in historical settings and does a great job of using their emotions and fictional experiences to develop the historical context of the time. Can't wait to read the 4th one in the series!
Mar 07, 2012 Wendy rated it really liked it
I have to admit that reading Volumes 1 - 3 in just a few weeks was daunting and by the middle of this third book my interest began to wane; however, I pushed through and finished it. My interest was piqued again and now that I have finished it, I am glad that book four is out so that I can continue on.
Feb 28, 2008 Jenn rated it really liked it
I was a little more disappointed by this one because I knew it was going to leave me hanging (my hubby told me that Woolley didn't write any more in the series after this). It kept referring to book 4 in the notes, which doesn't exist. I just heard that he's writing another now, though. Hooray!
Apr 18, 2009 Clark rated it really liked it
I didn't realize there was so much factual basis behind this novel. The author did a lot of research and capitalized on the investigation and study of others. Don't forget to read the historical notes at the end of the book for each chapter.
Feb 04, 2009 Nicole rated it it was amazing
I read it this year as part of my 999 book challenge. :) It was very good and I really didn't remember all the ins and outs, the twists and turns this book takes you through. It was soooo much fun to read again. :)
Jul 05, 2008 Allison rated it it was ok
You have to finish a series right? Well the first book is a favorite of mine that I've read multiple times, but this one didn't quite do it for me. It's a historical fiction about Jerusalem during Lehi's time.
Feb 17, 2008 Jane rated it it was amazing
Dec 21, 2010 Jere rated it really liked it
The story line kept me interested even though I kinda knew what was going to happen. The research done about Lehi's family's journey in the wilderness was interesting.
Aug 21, 2008 Kristastone rated it liked it
This book was a little slower than books one and two,however, it was still a good read. Reading this book made me really look forward to book four. I love a series.
Aug 19, 2009 Andrea rated it liked it
some interesting scripture references and the like. The description of the fortress got a little dry for my taste. Still, definitely worth the read.
Kathi Salter
Jul 30, 2015 Kathi Salter rated it liked it
A well written historical fiction that takes you on Lehi and his family's journey to the Promised Land. There are 5 volumes in this series.
Aug 11, 2009 Melissa rated it it was amazing
love this series! I have learned sooo much about jerusalem and the people that lived there before Christ. z
Mar 11, 2008 Heather rated it really liked it
Ditto to the other two books in the series. I hope that he will write another one though.
Jason Burt
Mar 02, 2010 Jason Burt rated it it was amazing
I love this series of historical fiction based on the Book of Mormon.
Mar 29, 2009 Lee rated it it was amazing
I love the authors writing and the subjects.
Jul 15, 2013 Francie rated it really liked it
Another great installment in this series.
  • Come Unto Me (The Kingdom and the Crown #2)
  • Prelude to Glory, Vol. 2: Times That Try Men's Souls
  • Faith of Our Fathers: To Make Men Free (Volume Two)
  • How Many Roads (Hearts of the Children, #3)
  • Home Again at Last
  • Desire of Our Hearts
  • Daniel and Nephi

The Promised Land (5 books)
  • Pillar of Fire (The Promised Land, #1)
  • Power of Deliverance (The Promised Land, #2)
  • Day of Remembrance (The Promised Land, #4)
  • Compass of God (The Promised Land, #5)