Start by marking “Storm of Iron” as Want to Read:
Storm of Iron

Storm of Iron (Warhammer 40,000)

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  782 ratings  ·  26 reviews
A new Warmaster has arisen, with plans to bring all of the galaxy under the dominion of his undying masters, and the corrupted ranks of the Iron Warriors are readying for battle.
Published August 1st 2002 by Games Workshop(uk) (first published January 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Storm of Iron, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Storm of Iron

Kurt Criscione
Simply badass... will admit it was heavy in the detail for seigeworks and trench warfare... so it will hit you with a ton of military terminology and lots of descriptive blocks on troop movement and tactics... but then it zooms back into the head of one of the chaos marines and he runs amok slaughtering everything in his path in an orgy of blood.

The book is one part academic, one part brutal gorefest, one part destroyed/desperate defenders, and all together badass!.
Becky
Alrighty... I'm having a really hard time mustering up any interest in this book, and so I'm calling it quits.

This was recommended to me by a friend who is really into the game, but it's just not really my thing. I've been told what happens in the second half of the book, and for me, it's not really worth sticking with it.

That pretty much sums it up.
Conor
Into the BREACH!
Only halfway through, but had to mention Pp. 199-203(ish). Honsou, Chaos space marine, charges up a bastion slope, into the breach, and it’s just about the most hilarious action scene I’ve ever read, on account of McNeill’s seemingly oblivious overuse of the word ‘breach.’ He must use that one word at least 50 times in about 4 or 5 pages. It’s actually unreal how funny this is, and from McNeill too, who’s proven himself as a competent enough writer to my mind.
The rest of the bo
Paolo Zanella
Storm of Iron è un' energetico concentrato di azione e violenza, in pieno stile Warhammer 40k.
Romanzo di guerra, ambientato nel lontano futuro del 41-esimo millennio, mette a confronto alcuni fra i più temibili nemici dell'Imperium, i Marine del Caos, con le difese imperiali di un pianeta, concentrate in una particolare roccaforte.
La struttura è quella comune a gran parte dei romanzi ambientati nel mondo di Warhammer 40k: la cronaca di una guerra senza quartiere fra due fazioni che puntano all'a
T.j.
The Iron Warrior traitor legion have come to destroy the imperial guard of the 54th juorgan dragoons, and claim the spoils of war.
Phil Davies
it does have some great moments and some decent battles problem is there is zero tension. I never felt like there was any doubt in the ending meaning there was no point in even visiting some characters. maybe read once if you love chaos or skip makes no difference.
Michael
Chaos marines fighting the God Machine's soldiers on some alien planet. It is exactly what it sounds like. I enjoy the Warhammer universe. It is simple and fun.
Jeff Sedlak
Another good book in the Warhammer 40k series. From the Chaos Marine point of view which i have never read before. Seems like the evil always has the upper hand and it still hold true in the book with all of the firepower and weaponry at their disposal not to mention a few nasty tricks up their sleeves. My first read about Titans too and I loved it! I want more!
Bart Tredway
Another classic from Graham McNeill. Great, hard-hitting action, moving along at a decent clip, with a signature McNeill ending, which never fails to be a crowd-pleaser. Admittedly, if you want a little less intrigue and military strategy, and more in-your-face violence and bloodshed, this may not be your cup of tea ... but for anyone with an IQ over the standard deviation of 100, who can really appreciate the subtle details standing out in a vast, sweeping theater, then this is a must-read. One ...more
Adrian Collins

BOOM.

Graham McNeill has delivered an absolute cracker of a story. The detail and research that went into his definition of 40k siege warfare, the Warsmith and his changing status, honsuo, the defenders. Start to finish this book is a great ride.

I couldn't have asked for much more of the author and the story. If you're an action war-sci-Fi fan, this book should be on your to-read lost. If you're a Chaos 40k fan, it is inexcusable if it's not.
Chase
This book is surely one of the greatest 40k books I have ever read!! This was full of action and explosions and Graham McNeil obviously has a firm grasp on the Warhammer 40,000 universe. This is mainly about the Jouran Dragoon regiment against the Iron Warriors traitor leigion. If you like huge, epic battles and explosions. It even has a little humor in it if you have a background behind warhammer you will get it. I suggest this to anyone who likes sci-fi and war.
AC
May 24, 2007 AC rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 40k nerds, Fantasy readers who love military strategy
This was the first 40k book I've read and I have to say it was fun. McNeill has an obvious grasp of the universe and an impressive understanding of military strategy in the 41st millennium. A basic plot is deepened by very descriptive writing. From the descriptions of the main players to the battles themselves, the book will be enjoyed by veterans of the 40k universe as well as fantasy buffs who enjoy military strategy and battle. A good, short fun read.
Tim
Great story of siege craft, second chances, and sacrifice.

This book ends in a way that the vast majority of Science Fiction and Fantasy books do not.

One of the chaos characters in this books ties in to Dead Sky, Black Sun, another book by Graham McNeill about the Ultramarines (3rd in the series). So besides this being a great read, if you plan on checking out the Ultramirines stuff, read this.
Christian
This book is a villain book. Writing about villians is hard because they are not sympahetic and you cheer against them BUT there was good balance between the Chaos and Imperial forces. And although, the Iron Warrios take the fortress, they suffer a bloody nose and the Imperials' story ends on a hopeful note. I love the author's dedication at the end to make the most of life's second chances.
Cliff Riseborough
My copy of the book was longer than 288 pages...

Anyway, just a rollicking tale of shit blowing up. Chaos Marines, Space Marines, Imperial Guard, Titans (on both sides), siege warfare, a new Avatar of Khorne, ascension to daemonhood, and a few hundred thousand corpses scattered across the landscape. In Warhammer 40K terms, that tends to equal fun.
John Hubenthal
Interesting concepts, merging the arcane with futuristic (as well as contemporary) technology. I'd give it 3.5. This was my introduction into the whole Warhammer theme. I didn't know it had its roots in pure fantasy. I found humour in terms reminiscent of D&D, such as the "chant of awakening" used to arm a warhead prior to launch.
Jeremy
One of the better 40k novels, Graham is able to take one of the more boring chaos legions and breathe a good amount of excitement into them. Here's hoping we see more of these characters in the near future.
Rob
Warhammer 40Ks best author manages to tell the tale setting the scene for the Iron Warriors. McNeill manages to do justice to both the characters and the battles he describes.
Nathan Avery
An ambitious attempt to write a book from the Chaos perspective, but overall a failure. McNeill took the easy way out by writing about the least corrupt of the traitor legions.
Bowie V.
Gory, action-filled story of devastating war. Enjoyed the story, but thought the final few paragraphs were added. I liked what seemed like the 1st ending better.
Patt
Very Cruel story but informative for other stories i think the Iron Warriors should have been given a bit tougher of a time.
Sheldon
This book inspired me to collect my first BIG table top army.. this is an awesome war novel... not just a Warhammer 40k novel.
Selim Tlili
Well written story from a villains perspective. Goes a long way to explaining the mindset of the villain.
Scooter
Awesome book, I've read it numerous times and still love it.
Justin
Apr 27, 2007 Justin rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: warhammer 40k fans
Shelves: warhammer
Probably the best of the warhammer novels released.
  • Lord of the Night
  • Soul Hunter
  • Angels of Darkness
  • Dark Apostle
  • Grey Knights (Grey Knights, #1)
  • Brothers of the Snake
  • Heroes of the Space Marines
  • Victories of the Space Marines
  • Faith and Fire
  • Battle of the Fang
  • The Traitor's Hand
  • Wolfblade
  • Fear the Alien
Hailing from Scotland, Graham McNeill narrowly escaped a career in surveying to work for Games Workshop as a games designer. He has a strong following with his novels Nightbringer, Warriors of Ultramar, Dead Sky, Black Sun and Storm of Iron.
More about Graham McNeill...

Warhammer 40,000 (1 - 10 of 658 books)
  • Horus Rising