Start by marking “Beneath the Ghost Moon” as Want to Read:
Beneath the Ghost Moon

Beneath the Ghost Moon

The farmyard mice are slumbering; beside each bed lies a tiny costume specially designed for the upcoming Ghost Eve Ball. Meanwhile the dreaded creepy-crawlies are preparing to attack! It takes the courage of one small mouse to rally the others to fight for their home, and then remind them of the importance of forgiveness. Full-color illustrations.
Published September 1st 1998 by Little Brown and Company (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Beneath the Ghost Moon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beneath the Ghost Moon

Jenn Swanson
Nov 16, 2016 Jenn Swanson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story was adorable and my daughter enjoyed it. The illustrations though is what she fell in love with. This is a book that will probably end up in our personal collection. Would recommend.
Maren Prestegaard
Oct 15, 2016 Maren Prestegaard rated it really liked it
Shelves: fall
Not overtly Halloween which I rather like.
Linda Lipko
Feb 22, 2016 Linda Lipko rated it really liked it
As the mice dream and envision a lovely time on Ghost Eve, they envision music, merriment and lovely fluffy costumes.

Alas, enter the creepers slithering out of their dank cellar halls. With nothing but nastiness and foolery planned, they blatantly with evil in their hearts and minds, steal the masks, destroy the lovely costumes and make an end to the intended merriment.

Waking to find quite a sorry mess they cave in and vow to leave and never return. Except for one hero mouse who preaches the pow
Tina Harden
Aug 04, 2016 Tina Harden rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: YA readers, study guide for rhyme writing
This is a rhyming story, and if you aren't accustomed to reading such, you could become lost. I'm not so much into rhyming stories but this was entertaining (illustrations) as it played out gang violence and vandalism. Well, that makes it sound like a violent read but it deals with being bullied and then standing up for yourself and community.

A "gang' destroys property. The community members come together with weapons to "avenge" the vandalism. In the end a young "gang" member was accepted into
Linda
Sep 28, 2012 Linda rated it really liked it
I thought I would begin to read some of the Halloween books in our school library, and found this one by Jane Yolen. It is an imaginative story of adventure of a group of 'crawlies' (lizards) who do some damage to the delightful costumes and masks that belong to some gleeful mice who live in the same house. The mice almost run away, but decide to fight back and win the day. This is all in rhyme and a bit silly, but the illustrations by Laurel Mok are delightfully Halloween-ish even to the ...more
Dolly
Nov 27, 2011 Dolly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a strange, but entertaining story with a Halloween theme. It has a message of sticking together and standing up against bullies. The poetic, rhyming narrative and colorful illustrations are fun we enjoyed reading this story together.
Relyn
Jan 01, 2010 Relyn rated it liked it
Recommends it for: PreK, K, & first grade teachers & parents
Recommended to Relyn by: I love Jane Yolen
Jane Yolen is one of my favorite authors of all time. Definitely in the top two or three. As in right up there with Shakespeare. I love her work, but I find I prefer her work for middle readers and older to her work for very young readers.
Lorraine Robinson
This book had an interesting twist on the well known "night before christmas" poem. Good to read before Halloween. Fashioned text in creative way to fit the flow of the poem. Show kids how to use the same flow of a popular poem and change the theme. Great writing activity.
Bvlmc Buchanan Verplanck Elementary School
Illustrated against the backdrop of a large Harvest Moon a group of mice must rescue their Halloween party by fighting off some creepy crawlies. Told in rhyme with a strong element of poetic verse this tale will strike a chord with pre-schoolers.
Laura rated it really liked it
Dec 31, 2013
Roxy
Roxy rated it it was ok
Oct 21, 2010
Angie
Angie rated it it was amazing
Nov 03, 2014
Megan
Megan rated it it was amazing
Sep 01, 2010
Monica
Monica rated it liked it
Nov 13, 2014
Kelly
Kelly rated it it was amazing
Feb 23, 2009
Carol Cunningham
Carol Cunningham rated it really liked it
Feb 09, 2013
Marianne
Marianne rated it liked it
Apr 20, 2015
Tammy
Tammy rated it liked it
Sep 21, 2016
Katie
Katie rated it it was amazing
Nov 14, 2015
Lisa Delacruz
Lisa Delacruz rated it it was amazing
Oct 16, 2013
Ashley Spencer
Ashley Spencer rated it it was amazing
Mar 05, 2016
Liobhan
Liobhan rated it it was amazing
Mar 11, 2010
Libby
Libby rated it liked it
Aug 16, 2012
Christina
Christina rated it really liked it
Mar 11, 2014
C.M
C.M rated it really liked it
May 23, 2010
Sara
Sara rated it liked it
Oct 27, 2016
Peter
Peter rated it it was amazing
Apr 02, 2010
Beverly
Beverly rated it really liked it
Jan 24, 2015
Miekka
Miekka rated it liked it
Oct 23, 2010
Sg
Sg rated it it was ok
Oct 27, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
Jane Yolen is a novelist, poet, fantasist, journalist, songwriter, storyteller, folklorist, and children’s book author who has written more than three hundred books. Her accolades include the Caldecott Medal, two Nebula Awards, the World Fantasy Award, three Mythopoeic Awards, the Kerlan Award, two Christopher Awards, and six honorary doctorate degrees from colleges and universities in ...more
More about Jane Yolen...