Start by marking “Vampires” as Want to Read:
Vampires

Vampires

...when night falls,
there's no telling
who you might meetYou might meet him at the mall, a handsome boy with a gift for finding bargains. You may come across him sheltered in a town's synagogue. You may see her transformed into a bat on her way home from a long night out. You might find him lying in wait beneath a garlic-draped grave. Or, it might be someone you already kno
Published August 6th 2002 by HarperCollins (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Vampires, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vampires

Jen
May 23, 2011 Jen rated it really liked it
Shelves: keepers
I would swear that I have read this book before, as almost every single story was one I remembered reading long ago before I had Goodreads to keep me on track. Usually I do a mini-review in the comment section for each story, but since that wasn't an option I had for this book, I'm going to do my mini-reviews in my review. Please bear with me.

"Nobody Has to Know" by James D. Macdonald and Debra Doyle-3 stars. Quick and interesting, but the last line kind of ruined it for me. Not bad, but I feel
M
Jul 20, 2014 M rated it really liked it
This collection holds up fairly well, even if it was published over 20 years ago and trends in vampire lit have somewhat changed. I loved the last story, Richie, for basically pointing out the realities of the plot of Twilight a decade or so earlier, including the fact that being eternally a teenager would actually suck pretty hard. I've read both Yolen and DeLint's stories before, and they're both pretty good. However, I think it's much better to read DeLint's story in his collection Waifs and ...more
Althea Ann
Nov 24, 2011 Althea Ann rated it liked it
13 vampire tales, selected by Jane Yolen, whose work I generally love.
However, some of the stories here were too juvenile for me (the book is aimed at 10-12 yr. olds), and some were rather weak. Still, there was some good stuff included.
Delia Sherman's "Blood Kin" was spooky in a classic way: an orphan girl in a mansion has two distant relatives (?) come to care for her... but not all seems right.
"The Magic-Stealer" by Josepha Sherman creates a vivid and believable world where a young girl must
Megan N
Sep 30, 2009 Megan N rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: folklore
Abby
Oct 12, 2016 Abby rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: People who like vampires and/or the supernatural
This book is really awesome, especially for writers, too. Plus, it comes in handy when they need ideas for a good vampire story to write, and I cannot think of any other book that is better than this one.

So, I give it five stars, as I have read some of the best stories in this book: The Blood-Ghoul of Scarsdale, Mama Gone and Blood Libel, to name a few.

I highly recommend this book for anybody who likes stories about vampires, or is need of a good story about horror or the supernatural... :)
Michelle
I read this hoping to find some short stories that would be good to read to my students for Halloween. I had high hopes since the collection was put together by Jane Yolen. I was a little disappointed. The stories are okay, but I only found two that I think are good for me to read aloud at school, and I am not very excited about them. A couple of the stories have dated references in them so that I was not surprised to find the copyright was 1991. Still, I will recommend this to my students who w ...more
Eileen Patterson
I probably checked this book out from the library a hundred times or more when I was a kid. This book helped get me obsessed with horror. I re-read it today, and it's still just as much fun as I remember.
Alexis
Aug 30, 2015 Alexis rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015
I thought I had read this book as a child, but it turns out I hadn't. I've been looking for a particular vampire story I read when I was young, but it was not in this collection.

Nevertheless, this was a pretty solid collection with some frightening and some funny vampire stories.
Sheila Hazel
Dec 18, 2011 Sheila Hazel rated it did not like it
Not great!
Nov 26, 2007 Jennifer rated it it was ok
A collection of very poorly written vampire stories. I did not like them at all. I was very dissappointed with this collection.
Joshua Burgos
Sep 23, 2010 Joshua Burgos is currently reading it
cool
Firda
Isinya kumpulan cerita-cerita vampir, lebih mirip buku anak-anak (ato jangan-jangan emang buku anak-anak? )
Katie
Aug 03, 2011 Katie rated it liked it
Some stories were better then others. But it was a good read.
Hannah Givens
As with the werewolf book, a lot of mediocre and derivative stories, but also a lot of stories that've stuck with me over time. On the whole, I think the werewolf book was more creative.
Cupof Tea
Aug 12, 2011 Cupof Tea rated it it was amazing
"Creepy" was my one-word description in grade 7.
Ashes
Nov 17, 2008 Ashes rated it it was ok
Vampires are scared of running water and garlic doesn't help.
Tracy Bye
Tracy Bye rated it it was amazing
May 20, 2012
humanalias
humanalias rated it liked it
Mar 23, 2011
Roni
Roni rated it really liked it
Nov 12, 2009
Annie Castaneda
Annie Castaneda rated it it was ok
Feb 13, 2016
Aven
Aven rated it liked it
Jul 26, 2010
Ruby
Ruby rated it really liked it
Mar 05, 2009
Justin
Justin rated it liked it
Jun 23, 2011
Andie
Andie rated it liked it
Sep 07, 2010
Avi
Avi rated it it was ok
Feb 19, 2013
Frahiwot Firdaweke
Frahiwot Firdaweke rated it it was ok
Apr 26, 2014
Samantha
Samantha rated it it was amazing
Feb 24, 2016
Lara
Lara rated it really liked it
Sep 30, 2013
Mickey
Mickey rated it liked it
Feb 07, 2010
Izamary
Izamary rated it really liked it
Jan 21, 2015
  • Dracula's Brood: Neglected Vampire Classics
  • Alcestis and Other Plays
  • Permeable Borders
  • Curses, Inc. and Other Stories
  • Welcome to Molly's World · 1944: Growing Up in World War Two America (American Girls Collection)
  • Water Shaper
  • Witch High
  • Waters Luminous and Deep
  • Stealing Magic
  • Oddly Enough (Bruce Coville's Short Stories, #1)
  • Voices after Midnight
  • Ariel
  • Dracula in London
Jane Yolen is a novelist, poet, fantasist, journalist, songwriter, storyteller, folklorist, and children’s book author who has written more than three hundred books. Her accolades include the Caldecott Medal, two Nebula Awards, the World Fantasy Award, three Mythopoeic Awards, the Kerlan Award, two Christopher Awards, and six honorary doctorate degrees from colleges and universities in Massachuset ...more
More about Jane Yolen...