Start by marking “Child of Faerie, Child of Earth” as Want to Read:
Child of Faerie, Child of Earth

Child of Faerie, Child of Earth

4.31  ·  Rating Details  ·  353 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
"According to certain tales, faeries leave the underworld once a year to join together in a faerie ring beneath the moonlight on All Hallow's Eve. One time during this magical celebration, a faerie boy meets a human girl, and the two become friends. Here is their story..."
Published September 1st 2000 by Little, Brown Young Readers (first published October 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Child of Faerie, Child of Earth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Child of Faerie, Child of Earth

S. Todd Strader
Jul 03, 2013 S. Todd Strader rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"He was a child of faerie folk.
A child of sky and air.
And she was a child of humankind.
Of earth and toil and care.
_They met in the dusk of Hallow's Eve.
_When widow's grieve
_In widow's weave.
_They met in the dark of Hallow's Eve,
She had flowers in her hair."

So begins Child of Faerie Child of Earth by Jane Yolen, illustrated by Jane Dyer. I love this picture book. I love the poetry, the imagery, the story line, the subject matter and of course the outstanding art. Like my own Snow Bloom (first dr
Zether Zether
Nov 14, 2014 Zether Zether rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 4th grade and up
This book was beautifully written. The author was very precise with her words, and they flowed nicely. There was a defined speed for the piece to be read at, which made it whimsical.

The illustrations were a nice edition. They were vibrant, but not too busy.

I would recommend this book to 4th graders and up. Some of the word choices were too advanced for lower grades. The fluid language swept me away to the point where I had to read the book three times before I could understand what was going o
Matthew
Jun 11, 2015 Matthew rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Probably one of the best pieces of narrative verse by Jane Yolen that I have ever read. The mere fact that she developed such a complex meter and rhyme scheme and kept it up throughout the entire book is impressive. Of course, if anyone had it it them to write a book like this, that person would have to be Jane Yolen. The nicknames, reputation, and resume she's garnered don't come unearned. Even if you aren't big on stories of faerie folklore, you have to give this one its due. Well done.
Courtney Cashon
Aug 08, 2015 Courtney Cashon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Imaginative, beautiful, and down-to-Earth. Even though this is a fantasy book, the imagery and narrative are very Earthy and warm. It would be a good read for children in 3rd grade. It had a nice slow pace and flow that made it engaging.
Mary Anne
Aug 20, 2015 Mary Anne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
A human girl meets a faerie boy. He shows her his world, where she cannot stay. She shows him the human world, where he cannot stay. But they exchange gifts and remain lifelong friends. Sweet, magical story told in verse.
Holly Embry
Jan 19, 2011 Holly Embry rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids
I first discovered this book during one of my college courses, but I can imagine it being one of my absolute favorites had I been introduced to it as a child. The flow of the words, the charming story, and the colorful illustrations would have mostly likely made this the type of book I would have begged my family member to read to me on a daily basis. It's perfect for the child (or adult!) with a big imagination. The rhythm and the rhymes create a predictable pattern of speech that is beneficial ...more
Lilly
Aug 20, 2015 Lilly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A beautiful book with lovely illustrations. The story of a human girl and a faerie boy's unusual friendship. I loved this book as a younger child!
Mia McInnis
Jul 31, 2015 Mia McInnis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful airy artwork combined with a poetical lay leave this charming book on my personal top ten for children's books.
Lisa Schwartz
This book is beautifully written and illustrated. I believe that young children would be able to wrap their head around such concepts as friendship and respect. I think that they would also be able to understand the message of the book and what they are learning is that it is important to learn about other people no matter how different they are, before making a decision to like or dislike them. This book subtly teaches an openness of heart that is refreshing. The pictures are vivid and interest ...more
Marie
Apr 02, 2016 Marie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is so hard to find a boy fairy book and this is a great one!
Ilana
Jan 25, 2016 Ilana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
The fifth star here is purely for nostalgia.
Lana Clifton
I recommend this book to anyone who believes in love, magic and poetry. I am the mother of two boys who never really got into fairy tales. I found myself buying this book not for them, but for the little girl inside me who still believes and remembers. The poem sings of a young girl, far removed from modern day conveniences, who explores the fairy realm for the love of a special someone. The illustrations are heartwarming and surreal. This book is bound to evoke belief in the unbelievable.
Lacy
Mar 16, 2010 Lacy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-lit
A lovely story for children interested in faeries. A human child visits the faerie world (night) and he in turns visits her human world (day). Although they cannot stay in each other's worlds, they stay friends forever. This could also serve as an introduction to the differences of people's lives for a child visiting a new town, country, or new friend's house without being too pedantic.
Elise Cohen
"This is a beautifully illustrated, adorable tale told in verse. It tells of a human girl and fairy boy who meet and visit each others' worlds. Realizing they each belong among their own kind, they resolve nonetheless to maintain their friendship and interaction by exchanging gifts and meeting periodically. Their relationship begins in childhood and extends into their old age. Enjoy!"
Rebecca
May 27, 2008 Rebecca rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
When I first picked up this book, I thought it would be full of a bunch of fairy fluff and wouldn't interest me too much. In actuality, I really liked it. The pictures are so sweet and serene and I like the poem very much. The story gives a lovely perspective on give and take and finding the balance of life as well as a unique view on love.
Isalei
May 19, 2009 Isalei rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the most beautiful children's books I have ever read. Wonderful story, maybe a little too advanced for the youngest children, altho' they'll LOVE the pictures. I'd recommend it for 7-10 yr olds. Illustrated by Jane Dyer, in my opinion, the best children's book illustrator EVER. The message is not too juvenile for adults, either.
John
Jan 06, 2011 John rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great storybook in verse! This is my toddler's favorite book right now (she initially called it "faerie boy blue!" book but once I corrected her color choice it just became "Faerie child book!"). Beautiful illustrations and catchy, winsome poetry make this an enjoyable read with a lesson underneath. Highly recommended!
Selena
May 02, 2008 Selena rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My kids adore this book. It has beautiful illustrations and it is a new take of a romantic fairy tale for kids. I like it because it gives a not so perfect view of love.
Megan Sanchez
Jul 15, 2012 Megan Sanchez rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beautifully illustrated and written in gorgeous verse. I am always impressed anew with Jane Yolen, every time I pick up another one of her amazing books.
Cindi P.
Jul 11, 2013 Cindi P. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-book
A gentle tale in picture book form. I enjoyed the friendship that grew between the main characters. Sparked my imagination. Opened my heart. Well told.
Mar 09, 2009 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-books
I LOVE this book! My granddaughter & I erad it quite often when she was smaller, and she still pulls it out regularly.
Priscilla
Apr 01, 2008 Priscilla rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have enjoyed reading this book to my two girls often at bedtime.
Beautiful illustrations and a lovely story!

Teri
Sep 17, 2013 Teri rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: halloween, poetry
Really magical!!! My kids all loved the story and the conflict and the beautiful poetry. This was a great find.
Laura Rogers
Lovely illustrations and charming storyline - a human child and a fairie child become friends.
Anne Kaufhold
Nov 01, 2011 Anne Kaufhold rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The traditional Samhain read at our house. I love this story.
Amber
Aug 30, 2013 Amber rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gorgeous book--lovely story. Great for adults as well as kids.
Anna
Jul 22, 2013 Anna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a cute and wonderful book to read.
Kelly Beaudoin
Aug 04, 2011 Kelly Beaudoin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-books
One of my absolute favourites.
Cws
  • Jack's Garden
  • Cat Dreams
  • Little Night
  • Harold's Fairy Tale
Jane Yolen is a novelist, poet, fantasist, journalist, songwriter, storyteller, folklorist, and children’s book author who has written more than three hundred books. Her accolades include the Caldecott Medal, two Nebula Awards, the World Fantasy Award, three Mythopoeic Awards, the Kerlan Award, two Christopher Awards, and six honorary doctorate degrees from colleges and universities in Massachuset ...more
More about Jane Yolen...