Start by marking “Why Is God Laughing?: The Path to Joy and Spiritual Optimism” as Want to Read:
Why Is God Laughing?: The Path to Joy and Spiritual Optimism

Why Is God Laughing?: The Path to Joy and Spiritual Optimism

3.5  ·  Rating Details ·  1,180 Ratings  ·  142 Reviews
In this refreshing new take on spirituality, bestselling author Deepak Chopra uses a fictional tale of a comedian and his unlikely mentor to show us a path back to hope, joy, and even enlightenment—with a lot of laughter along the way.

Meet Mickey Fellows. A successful L.A. comedian, he’s just a regular guy, with his fair share of fears, egocentricities, and addictions. Af
Published December 29th 2009 by Harmony (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Why Is God Laughing?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Why Is God Laughing?

Apr 21, 2009 erry rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: filsafat
Ketika sedang luntang lantung ga karuan di toko buku Gramedia di Pekanbaru, tak sengaja mata melihat sebuah buku dengan judul “menggoda”.” Mengapa Tuhan Tertawa?”. Jadi inget si naga yang sering memanggil gus gieb dengan “han han“. Jadi teringat teman-teman dan keluarga di Jakarta. Homesick yang kuderita semakin kuat mendera *lebay mode on*.

Ternyata..setelah kudekati si buku tadi, nafsu membeli buku semakin kuat ketika kulihat nama sang penulis –Deepak Chopra-. Siapa coba yang tdk pernah menden
Jan 15, 2009 J-russ rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great read. It is a spiritual book but not in the lecture style of so many of the genre. Deepak Chopra is inspiring and writes narratives that are easy to relate to. Definitely a worth read!! (and it only took 2 days to read)
It's always good to be reminded not to buy into fear and not to be driven by one's ego. The storyline in this book is interesting, but I didn't find any big revelations. I was surprised by the assertion that sin does not really exist in this world and that God laughs when he thinks people believe there is sin. Really. Murder is not sin? Stealing is not sin? What are they? Oh, right, illusions. I don't buy it. I don't believe that grace comes from obtaining some secret knowledge or by understandi ...more
Ordinary Dahlia
Secara keseluruhan idenya hampir sama dengan fire in the heart yaitu pertemuan antara manusia terpilih dengan seorang incredible yang membuka paradigma berfikir walaupun menurut pendapat g lokasinya kurang tepat karena terasa kurang mistis (hahah, ga penting tapi g tetep merasa ada yang salah)

Lewat teka-teki, buku ini menyoroti sesuatu yang lekat pada diri setiap manusia yaitu takut, ego dan candu. Terdengar sangat bagus dan menjanjikan bukan? Tapi ternyata cerita dan candaan yang disod
Jul 20, 2016 Wayne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book!

Towards the end some of the religious stuff becomes a bit too much..

However - throughout the book - up until the end really, this has a wonderful philosophy weaved through it.

Key ideas to take from this:

Fear holds us back from doing things in our lives - let go of it every now and then and embrace what happens

Each of us is a person - Business man or skater kid! - we all have feelings and are emotional.

However, we all use our ego's to help disguise our vulnerabilities - why don't we dr
Feb 18, 2010 KellyWells rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just like all of Chopra's novels, this one is wrought with philosophy! It's pretty easy to find in this one and he gives a discourse in the back that is wonderful!
Favorite Quote of the Book:

"you keep on doing what never worked in the first place...dont.

addictions are artificial substitutes...

you're stuck on things that never bring you what you really want

you can't have real roses so you buy plastic ones

you can't think sweet thoughts so you gobble down sugar

you can't figure out how to be happy so
Sara Jardim
For someone who is already very much aware of some of theses subjects... Its more, of the same thing! As was expecting a diferente spin in the laughter effect really... Which is something I think is powerfull and still needs to be explored... But this wasnt a brilliant essay on the matter...
However, I can see that for people that arent yet in to these things, that it can be rated better...
For me its just average!
Good reminders, but I wasn't wild about the format or the allegory. Still, the insights were helpful. And I like that the audio was read by the author.
May 13, 2015 Enikő rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It was okay. I found that Mickey's story kind of dragged along. I didn't find the writing in that first part to be particularly good or at all funny. Maybe I was in the wrong mood for reading this book, but I did go in with high expectations. I came out disappointed, although the second part brought it together nicely, which is why I rounded up to two stars. I do get it. I just didn't like the book.

There was one part that stuck out for me, though, when the author was writing about how people ten
Mingo Johnson
Jun 22, 2012 Mingo Johnson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: deepak-chopra
It is about Mickey Fellows's, who is a successful comedian in L.A., journey to joy happiness and peace. After his father's death, Mickey meets Francisco, who changes his life forever. Mickey is given three riddles that he must answer, but his uses his experiences to answer them. Then the author gives the reader ten principles to guide on the road to joy and spiritual optimism.
Mar 17, 2009 Allie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked the format of this book in that it was easy to understand and he slips important messages in without beating you over the head with it. The last section of the book was the most helpful to me and something i know I'll reference again and again. This made me want to read more of his books!
Robert C.
Apr 15, 2015 Robert C. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: knowledge
I guess this isn't art for art's sake. There's a point to and a lesson in this story, and it's to do with morality and how to live your life.

This guy's father dies and it leads him to change things in his life. He is led through these changes by a mysterious stranger who tells him stuff and guides him to experience stuff that triggers these changes.

It made me think, albeit briefly, how interesting it would be to attempt a social experiment like that. I could scan the death announcements in the l
Dec 04, 2008 Brenda rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I still don't know why God is laughing, but I know why Deepak Chopra is laughing...
Lee Anne
I picked this up hoping it would make me "happier with my lot in life," as I tend to put it. Every once in a while, reading some Self-Improvement/New Age-y title seems like a good idea, and I'd never read Deepak Chopra before, and you know how I like all things Indian...

Too bad the lessons are awkwardly couched in a Mitch Albom-style narrative, in which an actor/comedian, upset over the death of his father, meets a mysterious stranger who encourages him, though various exercises, riddles, and ba
there were some funny jokes in this book, funny enough for me to attempt to memorize them and add them to my whole 2 other jokes i can ever remember... but i just didn't like the parable story about a selfish comic who is visited by the ghost of his father and an otherworldy guide/guru who teaches him what life is really about: letting go of ego and living in the present moment and if you are quiet enough, you can hear the music of the spheres, which is god laughing. i liked the last part, the g ...more
Sep 06, 2008 Tommy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The answer to the question, "Why is God Laughing?" might very well be, "He's doing something more entertaining than reading this book."

Sorry to slam Deepak, but this book just failed to connect with me for three reasons:

1) The spiritual platitudes, while solid, were ones I've heard many times before, from various sources. Not that I fault Chopra for this, maybe it's just that the basics of a spiritual life are universal and as ancient as wisdom itself. But, still, I'm always looking for an evolu
Adih Respati
May 23, 2009 Adih Respati rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 12-contemplation
Chopra tells the of tale of Mickey, a stage comic, whose recently deceased father's soul came to clue him in that he's about to get a lesson on life. A guide equipped with puzzles, Francisco, is provided to help Mickey sees that he has been, among other things, trapped in life of fear, addicted to his ego, and have been taken hostage by social role that life entices instead of being a free soul. These get in a way to his own happiness --a big irony for a guy whose daily job is to bring laughter ...more
There are some wonderful one-liners - my book is now filled with highlighted phrases - but it was a bit juvenile. For a famous comedian, the protagonist's jokes were...terrible. The writing was rudimentary, and I felt the ultimate joke, "why God is actually laughing", was brushed over very quickly. It's worth the read because it's a quick one, but I wanted it to be so much more.
Peggy Bansbach
Oct 24, 2014 Peggy Bansbach rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I listened to the audio version of this book. I so enjoy listening to Deepak's voice. Parts of this were funny. If only we all could have someone return after death to help us realize why we are who we are. Deepak's insights on God and the universe are very enlightening.
Sep 05, 2008 Ashley rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
After having just read "Spontaneous Fulfillment of Desires," I thought I would check out the newest one from Chopra. It is written in story format, not nonfiction lecture. I got into the story. The Epilogue contained Chopra's thoughts on joy and optimism. Since I remain fairly optimistic in my life, or at least end back up there after troubles, I wondered whether the advice would resonate. It left me with the same struggle I have had for years--one that pops up often in my affinity toward Easter ...more
Jun 30, 2014 Sophie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition

This book is a short and quick read, and therefore important morals and points are explicit. I felt some of these points, however, were lost through the lack of character development, especially in Mickey the main character.
Aug 22, 2012 Charles rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-help
I expected more from this book. The forward by Mike Meyers lists his 3 heros as his dad, Deepak Chopra and Del Close. I was hoping that Close's understanding of Truth = Comedy would inform this book as deeply as Chopra's brand of Truth Seeking. Unfortunately, the bulk of the book is a weak narrative about a "famous comedian" who peppers his spiritual transformation with humor - but the humor is actually just a series of old jokes familiar to anyone who reads Readers Digest or listens to Prairie ...more
Melissa Deangelis
I thought that this was a very enlightening and a spiritual journey to the place that all want a understanding of our soul
Which I can get it that I am a lot more than just a woman.
Chenley Cabaluna
Buddhism. lol. A must read para sa mga gustong ma-enlightened sa kanilang path and life. LOL hahahahah! Yung mga hindi pa nahahanap ang sarili nila, this is your chance! HAHAHA :))
Aug 01, 2011 Sfdreams rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
I have been a fan of Deepak since the mid-to-late eighties when I saw him along with Louise Hay, Marianne Williamson, and others at a killer event in the Bay Area. I went in thinking, "Deepak who??" and was blown away by his talk on quantum physics and the body.

I liked this book, even though I did not like the cheesy comic so much. I particularly like the thought of "listening to the music of the spheres" and the comic's father who after dying said that he heard God's Laughing.

There were a lot
Jul 07, 2015 Juliana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book to recommend to patients/clients about ways to achieve freedom from excessive worry and enjoy life fully.
May 23, 2012 Mark rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is pretty good, but I felt a little indifferent to the end. At first he weaves an easy to follow story about a guy, down on his luck. He meets a strange new friend who challenges him to look at things differently by placing him in situations. He learns and you learn with him. All well and good, but at the very end, the guy reaches pure enlightenment and metaphorically flies off the end of the pier after having giving up everything.

Yeah right...from schmoe to enlightenment in about 6 mo
María Martínez Almazán
Años de leer la pregunta "¿de qué se rie Dios?" y hasta hoy descubro que la respuesta es mas obvia de lo que creí.
Jul 31, 2016 Ryan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fictional chronicle of a comedian who goes has a spiritual awakening. Easy read, good message.
  • The Gift of Our Compulsions: A Revolutionary Approach to Self-Acceptance and Healing
  • A Deep Breath of Life
  • The Way of Liberation
  • Soul Love: Awakening Your Heart Centers (Soul Life, #1)
  • Love Without Conditions
  • The Inner Sky: How to Make Wiser Choices for a More Fulfilling Life
  • Defy Gravity: Healing Beyond the Bounds of Reason
  • Family of Light: Pleiadian Tales and Lessons in Living
  • The Call: Discovering Why You Are Here
  • Your Competent Child: Toward New Basic Values for the Family
  • Even More Notes From the Universe: Dancing Life's Dance
  • Soul Lessons and Soul Purpose: A Channeled Guide to Why You Are Here
  • Ami, El Niño De Las Estrellas (Ami, #1)
  • Spirit Song: The Introduction of No-Eyes
  • The Spiritual Emerson: Essential Writings by Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • Chasing Rumi: A Fable about Finding the Heart's True Desire
  • Shamran - den som kommer
  • Every Day I Pray: Prayers for Awakening to the Grace of Inner Communion
Deepak Chopra, MD serves as the Founder and Chairman of The Chopra Foundation, and Co-Founder of the Chopra Center for Wellbeing.

As a global leader and pioneer in the field of mind-body medicine, Chopra transforms the way the world views physical, mental, emotional, spiritual, and social wellness. Known as a prolific author of eighty books books with twenty-two New York Times best sellers in both
More about Deepak Chopra...

“When the pain of being the same becomes greater than the pain of being different, you change.” 39 likes
“God descends to earth like fresh spring rain, and at every level his grace is received differently. For some it feels like love, for others like salvation. It feels like safety and warmth at one level, like coming home at another.” 35 likes