Start by marking “I Still Have It . . . I Just Can't Remember Where I Put It: Confessions of a Fiftysomething” as Want to Read:

3.56  ·  Rating Details  ·  179 Ratings  ·  45 Reviews
While there are people who actually embrace getting older (although we confess not to know any) most try to deny it. Rita Rudner is no exception. When she reached 50, she couldn't even bear to admit it: "It was more comfortable getting a laugh and telling people I was filthy than having to say the word fffiffffty," she writes. In her hysterically dead-on book I Still Have ...more
Published May 5th 2009 by Three Rivers Press (first published 2008)

Be the first to ask a question about I Still Have It . . . I Just Can't Remember Where I Put It

Lain
Jul 03, 2009 Lain rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I often pick up books by comedians and are disappointed -- often something is lost in the translation from spoken word to page. But in Rita Rudner's latest book, that is far from the truth. I actually was not familiar with her at all (though I recognized her name) so I was taking a big chance...would I even like her humor at all?

I found that the book was not only hilarious, it was well-written. Funny, touching, honest... like a conversation with a dear friend who just happens to have an extremel
Paul
Feb 28, 2016 Paul rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have always loved Rita Rudner, and I especially liked Naked Under My Clothes. This book started out making me laugh out loud; the middle few essays made me broadly smile; the last few essays made me want to sleep. Rita has a great wit and ability with words, but she ran out of gas toward the end of this book and those essays seem to me to describe ordinary days in her ordinary life.

If she could have continued the pace she had set in the first few essays, I would have loved this, but the ending
Karen
Jul 17, 2009 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009-book-club
Casey's MIL loved this book so we decided to make it our book club pick for this month! I am looking forward to it. Thanks Paula for the recommendation!

Ok read this in Vegas and have a new love for Rita! There were so many fun quotes that I found myself reading them out loud to my family. Just a fun light book, chocked full of things I could relate to! I am hoping to be able to remember some of the funny things she said for days when I feel a little down.
Enjoyable and entertaining!
Chantel
May 07, 2015 Chantel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Chantel by: Library Display
I enjoyed this book. It was part memoir (not much) and part funny stories about what it is like to get older (mostly). It was a good way to pass the time.

Connie N.
Oct 07, 2012 Connie N. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very funny book by comedianne Rita Rudner. This is a series of stories, 4-5 pages each, on various subjects such as her daughter (whom she adopted later in life), her dog, her home, her shopping experiences, etc. Lots of fun and a very quick and enjoyable read.

Favorite quotes (and these are not really jokes but ways of looking at life in a humorous and optimistic way, I think): "...I shall impart to you my secret to happiness. It can be summed up in two words: low expectations. If you expect to
Roni Blanche
Aug 26, 2013 Roni Blanche rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rita Rudner, you deceived me! I have been on a kick lately of reading books about navigating the turbulent waters of hitting mid-life since I'm not doing it so well on my own. I thought this was one of those books from reading the flap blurb. This is SO not one of those books. But I ain't mad, I got nothing but love for you (a fave quote from "Independence Day" I just had to throw in here, in case there are any other "ID" fans out there), because I needed this book way more than more how-to-turn ...more
Mama K
Jan 14, 2016 Mama K rated it it was amazing
LOVED this book. as a "fiftysomething" myself I found Rudner's life observations not only humorous but also dead on. But the book is not just "funny." It is truthful and poignant. Most entries made me cry, either from laughter or sadness. Life is messy and unpredictable; Rudner showed us the truth of that as well as means to cope with it.
Beth
Jun 24, 2016 Beth rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you are getting up there in years, this book has some laugh out loud moments. I enjoyed reading it, but younger readers, obviously, will not appreciate it as much as those of us over 50.
SouthWestZippy
The first story she told about her father and his plane ride set the tone of the book. A laugh out loud, open, and honest look into her world.
Kathy
Nov 25, 2011 Kathy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: autobiography
Having seen Rita Rudner on various talk shows and a few comedy specials over the years, I was curious as to what she would write about. It was refreshing to hear a comedian reflect on the oddities of life in a clean an insightful manner that was also funny. If you liked the original beginning to Seinfeld, you will like "I Still Have It, I Just Can't Remember Where I Put It." Rudner shares her thoughts on being a wife, mother, daughter and comedian who has lived in New York City, Los Angeles and ...more
Robert Scott
+A very funny look at the mind of a fifty plus comedienne. There are some real nuggets buried in this book. Funny things, poignant things, friendly Jewish mother advice and general insight to Rita Rudner. By the way, the advice is often something we would all do well to adhere to.
Ed
May 03, 2014 Ed rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rita always great fun to see and to read!
Cindy
Jun 29, 2008 Cindy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Cindy by: AARP
"If you expect to be excellent at something, you will no doubt be disappointed. If you expect to be terrible, you can thrill yourself by actually being almost competent."
A book of humorous essays Rita wrote about her life, including her childhood, parents, husband, home ownership, her daughter and her dog. She just can't bring herself to say she's fifty, so she says she's "filthy". I can relate and enjoyed the book. Easy to read. Easy to pick up and read a chapter whenever you get a minute.
MJ
Jun 28, 2008 MJ rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
(Kathryn--DON'T READ THIS!) Well dang, this wasn't as good as "Naked Beneath My Clothes," but then these are the "Confessions of a fiftysomething," instead of the trials and tribulations of a thirtysomething. Rudner has a permanent show in Las Vegas as a comedian and I wish I could see her! Humourous bits abound to be sure but I was hoping for another "Naked" to read to my sister in Oregon during our upcoming vacation.
Jesse
Nov 25, 2014 Jesse rated it really liked it
A very fun and easy read, it gives older women something to commiserate with and younger women something to look forward to. She has several humorous insights about aging, parenting, marriage and life in general. While her humor doesn’t translate perfectly well to the written word, it comes pretty darn close. I read it in about a day and was very glad I did.
John
Nov 12, 2011 John rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I remember when this book was released - Rita did a spot on NPR's Talk of the Nation w/ Neal Conan. She had me in stitches and I've had this book in the back of me head since then as a "To Read" luckily the other day I was in the right section of the library to find it.

After Reading - I laughed through most of the book, it didn't disappoint.
Cindy K
Aug 15, 2008 Cindy K rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
These essays often make you laugh. Even when you're not laughing out loud, you enjoy the trip.

For years, my husband and I would read the Dave Barry columns to each other. (Okay, I usually did the reading.) It was so much fun to share the essay and made it all the funnier. We're going to read this book out loud too.
Petra
~meh~ It was okay and most of her stories are humorous but it wasn't laugh out loud funny. It was more a chuckle here or there. Although, in all fairness to Rita, I HAD just finished Carol Burnett's latest and you shouldn't really compare the two.

For a light piece of fluff, I'd recommend it.
Rhlibrary
Marcia's "Beach Reads" pick for 2008:

If you’ve ever seen Rita live in Las Vegas, or on one of her PBS fund-raisers you’ll know why this will have people nearby in their beach chairs looking at you laughing away as you read this. Seriously hilarious.
Hot Cup O'Monkey
I really enjoyed this book and highly recommend it. It's a very fun read. Along with the humor, Rudner offers some pretty snappy insights about us middle-agers.
It is a great read for summer, or anytime you need a smile and a good story.

Lake County Public Library Indiana
"For a laugh-out-loud experience, read Rudner's take on being 50-something. I found myself reading portions out loud to my husband and then absolutely cracking up ... and he was laughing too ... but not as much as I."
--DB/Reference
Naty
Feb 21, 2009 Naty rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Totally hilarious! Even when I'm way younger than her, I could relate by the things my mom said or experienced I've had and how many stupid mistakes we make when we're young. It's a true page turner
Margery
Nov 15, 2008 Margery rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Admittedly over fifty, Rudner has commentaries on the oddities that women deal with. It was a laugh out loud book that just had to be shared with someone who could also laugh at life.
Rhonda Ricardo
Oct 29, 2011 Rhonda Ricardo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I saw Rita for my birthday, laughed till I cried! Then had our photos taken together... she still had mascara on.. not fair! LOL!! Funny lady, the book rocks!!
Rachel
Feb 22, 2011 Rachel rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor
I loved her first book; this one was merely okay. Although I am very happy for Rita and her family, that they are still together and have a daughter is truly wonderful.
Sally
Apr 02, 2011 Sally rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rita is right, she does still have it and I know where she put it - in this book! It is funny, witty, and makes you laugh out loud.
Sheila
Nov 01, 2012 Sheila rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book immensely. Her short stories in the book were quite funny and I could relate to a lot of it. (being of a certain age)
Desi
Jun 12, 2010 Desi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this book at a thrift store. I'm not fifty but will be someday. She's pretty funny and mostly clean. It was a fun, quick read.
Paula
Jun 25, 2009 Paula rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's a good book for all you baby boomers. She puts a humor twist to everything. A lighthearted book. I thought it was funny!
Doneen
Apr 14, 2009 Doneen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Funny (not hysterical, laugh-out-loud) book for people over 50. Those under 50 would probably not enjoy it as much.
  • Love Always
  • Retail Hell
  • No Shirt, No Shoes...No Problem!
  • Have I Got a Guy for You: What Really Happens When Mom Fixes You Up
  • If You Leave Me, Can I Come Too?
  • Out Where The Buses Don't Run
  • Life Force
  • Dog Days: A Year in the Oscar Mayer Wienermobile
  • Insults and Comebacks for All Occasions (Lines for All Occasions)
  • Making the Cat Laugh
  • The Headmistress
  • Narrow Dog to Indian River
  • Don't Be That Guy: A Collection of 60 Annoying Guys We All Know and Wish We Didn't
  • The Shakespeare Miscellany
  • Imagined Lives: Portraits of unknown people
  • Packing the Court: The Rise of Judicial Power and the Coming Crisis of the Supreme Court
  • I Has a Hotdog: What Your Dog Is Really Thinking
  • Letter from New York: BBC Woman's Hour Broadcasts
Rita Rudner is an American comedienne, writer and actress.

Rudner and her producer husband, Martin Bergman, wrote the screenplay of the film Peter's Friends, in which she also acted. She is the author of the best-selling I Still Have It; I Just Can't Remember Where I Put It, Naked Beneath My Clothes, and the novels Tickled Pink and Turning The Tables. She has written several screenplays with her hu
More about Rita Rudner...